View Full Version : How to slow down my skating...

jazzpants
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Okay, guys, it's not what you think... my skating is still comparatively slower compared with the rest of the Bronze Ladies out there. :lol:

I'm having trouble with jumps when my mind is rushing to get a jump down so I wouldn't miss the next music section and that usually leads me to miss the jump altogether. Any mental tricks/tips you guys do to get yourself to mentally slow down my mind long enough to get myself set up to do the jump right? I know that when I do the jump by itself and I'm not rushing or tired that I usually land the darn thing b/c I'm concentrating on what I have to do to get this jump...

TIA!

Skittl1321
03-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't compete, and have only done 2 shows, so I'm not a huge help- but I find if I sing along to the music (hum the tune) I'm much more likely to stay on it- meaning I don't rush into elements because everything has it's place and needs to fill up its alloted amount of time.

In synchro I count- but for some reason I cannot set my freeskate to counts.

I thought you actually meant slow down your skating. I was trying to figure out a way to give the impression of building power in the 5 step mohawk without gaining speed because the 3rd semi-circle of it just kills me, I'm going so fast from the momentum from the 2nd semi-circle that I get so scared I'm back to the axis before I manage the mohawk. My group lesson instructor told me that going slower was not an option and I have to just do the mohawk. Then he asked me why I was scared of them and I said "cause they are hard" and he laughed at my excuse. I thought it was a good one. /sorry, off topic.

FlyAndCrash
03-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I practice my jumps on the pattern that is in my programs. That way, I concentrate more on the element rather than "crap crap crap how am I going to pull this off!!!" And that way, I know where the jump goes and how I get to it. You might also want to try running through the program without jumps or listening to the music and visualizing the program in your head.

About the 5-step, I push less between step 4 and 5 (after the second mohawk going into the slide) and concentrate more on the extention. This also helps me have more control going into the new lobe.

TreSk8sAZ
03-12-2008, 10:20 PM
First, don't worry about hitting the music cue. That's the less easy one.

Second, when I was having trouble with that what I used to do is I count. Not to a beat in the music, but just break down the jump. For example, I do my flip from a RFI-LFI mohawk entrance. Skating into it, I take one step at a time. I'll count 1-2 on the first edge, 3-4 on the second, 5 is bend/pick and 6 is jump. You have to figure out what works for you. If you're going slower, you may only have 1 count on each edge. If you do a flip from a 3 turn, then push 1, turn 2, etc.

Each jump has specific parts that you can do this with. Once you get your timing going into the jump while counting, you can often make the counting go away. I did it with my first program, and one jump in my second, now I don't even think about it.

Third, if you don't want to count, just think breathe. Set up the jump, breathe, jump.

Remember, if you're running late take out something before or after (like a crossover) but take your time on the jumps. Jumps get more points than one more crossover.

Kim to the Max
03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I generally try to just think of each individual element as if I were doing it in isolation...doesn't always work :giveup: but occasionally, it helps me out...

But then again, when I am testing or competing (I haven't competed since 1994, and don't plan on it in the foreseeable future though), I don't ever remember what happened because my brain takes a bit of a vacation, so I also try to drill the program in practice so that autopilot is possible...

mikawendy
03-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Calling Doubletoe, who has posted good advice in the past about using simple key words for each part of a jump's setup....

dooobedooo
03-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Kneebend?

Weight over skate?

Problems are usually in the step before, or the step before that.

samba
03-13-2008, 03:55 AM
Good question Jazzpants, an extremely common complaint, one of which I am always struggling with.

I practice my jumps on the pattern that is in my programs. That way, I concentrate more on the element rather than "crap crap crap how am I going to pull this off!!!" And that way, I know where the jump goes and how I get to it. You might also want to try running through the program without jumps or listening to the music and visualizing the program in your head.

About the 5-step, I push less between step 4 and 5 (after the second mohawk going into the slide) and concentrate more on the extention. This also helps me have more control going into the new lobe.

This is great advice and usually helps me in practice which is where I have most of the problem, however in competition I tend to skate slower anyway due to nerves so the problem doesnt normally exist on the day.

Skate@Delaware
03-13-2008, 07:18 AM
I try to remember the "big cues" in the music...as my routine gets more on track (i.e. better and faster) and I start doing it to the music my skating might go like this (sample of routine given):

crossovers to blue line, drunken sailor), back crossovers, step to front, (music tinkles, then big beat-DUM-DUM), waltz jump on last DUM, etc.

I will also write down the music cue on my routine card (3x5 card with my routine done on pencil, rink marks done on pen). My coach might also have me write down other cues-smile, breath, hands, shoulders, etc.....i might need a bigger card:lol:

I know this may seem very picky and to the n-th degree for many of you....I'm detail oriented and need it broken down like this in order to remember. ;)

techskater
03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
I tune out my music while doing jumps in the program so I don't rush entries. I kind of turn inwardly and think about what I need to do on the element. I make up the difference on the in betweens

Sessy
03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Well I sort of had that problem last year on the club competition so what I did this year was, firstly, pick out an entirely different music, one that wouldn't rush me in any way and one with a much harder to distinguish rhytm, so I wouldn't be tempted to mess up my timing through that.
Secondly, I built in little extra bits of time into the programme. If everything goes fine, I make an extra mohawk or a movement with my arms, if I'm running behind, I drop that and just crossover to the next element. This gives me the mental peace to take my time.
Thirdly, I count. There's several bits in my programme where it's like "one, two" or "one, two, three" that I have to wait before I start doing the element, else my shoulders aren't aligned or whatever. I made these pauses after the programme was done, because this problem only came up practicing it.

Of course I only have an artistic programme right now (but with one or two jumps, depending on what I wanna do) and as for the normal one, well hopefully tomorrow night the coach has time to finish it. Fingers crossed... LOL.

ibreakhearts66
03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
i'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, but i'll try. instead of trying to tackle the mental side, maybe make some physical changes that will help with the jump? personally, i get panicky when i go into single/double axels. trying to actually calm my mind down is usually useless. instead, i work on really really bending my knee on the take-off. that really helps me. so maybe let your mind race as you go into the jump, but when you step into the jump, really bend your knee and go for it. i find this helps me no matter how unfocused i am going into the jump. also, you get more height which is always good--gives you more time to fix a mistake mid-air!

so i think this may have been totally useless, but it's the best i can do

doubletoe
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Calling Doubletoe, who has posted good advice in the past about using simple key words for each part of a jump's setup....

LOL! Yep! Cue words. Think of what you need to remember for correct technique, then come up with words that remind you of the correct position/technique while also taking up just the right amount of time to keep you from rushing. For example, taking off on a salchow from a 3-turn, you might think something like, "level-still, level-still, ankle, toe!" Once you're at the point where you are starting your jump entrance, just tune out the music and listen to your cue words.

looplover
03-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I can totally relate to this thread, esp. today. I know that when I'm not in a program, I can get a clean flip if I count out the beats (right toe in, 3turn, pause, right toe in) - and if that pause isn't there I don't get it. But with the music on in the program I tend to forget the pause. Maybe it's true you have to tune it out at that moment; I'm going to start focusing on that as well.

Skate@Delaware
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Repitition helps a lot...without music at first. When you work on your routine without music, there is no stress about having to "hit your mark" until later. Then, when we first add music, I just skate my routine and don't worry about whether or not I'm early/late/one time or whatever. We know it won't be right for the first 20 tries. The goal is to be hitting it +/- within 3-5 seconds about 2 weeks before the competition/show. Then we can evaluate where I'm gaining or losing time (usually in the footwork part, I suck at footwork).

Are you doing it with music from the beginning?

We skate my routine in "chunks" at first...it's broken down into about 4-5 parts and I work on them...They are not added together at first.

This is why it takes about 3-4 months for me to develop a routine. It may seem overly complicated but it works for me. We are doing the whole enchilada in pieces at a time. When it is finally put together with the music, it is usually pretty awesome and just about ready to go. It helps me to not rush elements that way.

jazzpants
03-14-2008, 03:01 PM
First thing, yes, I do practice without music first and in chucks at first. If a particularly area is "stuck" I really work thru it 'til I get to the point where I can glide thru it easily. But at some point I have to do the runthrus with music and "just go for it." Besides the purpose of the runthrus is to build my stamina and muscle memory.

This morning, I found that doing jump combinations (in my case, loop-loop) can easily take up a good 5 seconds extra for me, especially if I have to fight thru the combinations and don't get a good flow on the landing of the jump. But if I just do a standalone loop, I have no problem coming out of it and can easily glide thru onto the next jump.

Which brings me to the next thing... primary coach has had me concentrate on just gliding thru and making it smooth and "not mind" the jumps. Just to make his point, he pulled out more stuff on the footwork and I have no spin combinations in my program. I was slightly peeved about it since I've been working very hard on those just to have it ready for AN and it's now not even making it to AN. But I realize that I can't jeopardize the rest of the program for these few elements that I'm trying to get to make the technical content more difficult. The good point is that when I focused on gliding out and bending my knees (like I normally do on warmups) that I actually move a LOT faster than when I rush (and usually stumble) thru the program.

I also got a tip from a fellow skater (Gold level gal) who suggested that I do jump circuits where I skate around as fast as I can and just attempt the jump or the jump combo with that higher speed. It's not fun and my body will hate me for it... but she said it really helps you to get thru that mental block of slowing down to get the jump. So I'll try that the next time I skate.

Also, I did try doubletoe's tip... well at least on parts of the program. I told myself before going into the sit spin to "take your time on the spin entry" and the spin magically went a LOT faster!!! As for the jump, I thought the word "Reach" (as in reach back and pick) and well, it did work on one of the runthrus. So, I think the extra time Jay gave me from making my footwork a lot easier gave me the break I need to "take my time" on those elements.

Thanks for the tip, everyone!!! It will probably not be a "Bronze competitive" program in terms of elements, but I think in the end, I'm hoping that it will look "Bronze"-ish in terms of speed and flow and just overall skating.

doubletoe
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I think your coach is actually being very smart, because from all of the Bronze competitions I've seen (as well as some higher level ones), the judges are much more interested in the flow you exhibit between the jumps and spins than in the difficulty level of the jumps and spins themselves. In the big scheme of things, to most judges there's not much difference between a single salchow (0.4 points under IJS) and a single lutz-single loop (1.1 points under IJS, less than a plain forward upright spin). However, your skating skills and presentation count for half of your total score, and THAT is a LOT! :)

sk84ever&ever
03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
I do the exact same thing. My mind races and I try to slam into the jump and throw all technique aside. Okay this is what I still have to do. Practise the jump slowly and take note of the important steps.

Lutz for example is the one I rush the most. My thoughts are place the toe, draw feet together, stay on my toe. If I take my time and think of these three steps the rest of the jump happens. Good luck and i hope I meet you in Lake Placid!

Skate@Delaware
03-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I also got a tip from a fellow skater (Gold level gal) who suggested that I do jump circuits where I skate around as fast as I can and just attempt the jump or the jump combo with that higher speed. It's not fun and my body will hate me for it... but she said it really helps you to get thru that mental block of slowing down to get the jump. So I'll try that the next time I skate.

My coach has me do this....to get me used to higher speeds (jumping and actually skating faster which i don't normally do a lot of :oops: ) but I was only doing it with my "newly-reformulated toeloop" and waltz jumps.

techskater
03-16-2008, 05:18 AM
I do the exact same thing. My mind races and I try to slam into the jump and throw all technique aside. Okay this is what I still have to do. Practise the jump slowly and take note of the important steps.

Lutz for example is the one I rush the most. My thoughts are place the toe, draw feet together, stay on my toe. If I take my time and think of these three steps the rest of the jump happens. Good luck and i hope I meet you in Lake Placid!

Focus from element to element. Don't let your mind race ahead by a few elements. I think about only doing the element I am on (or heading into) and don't think about the music unless it's a choreographic moment.

bebi
03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tip, everyone!!! It will probably not be a "Bronze competitive" program in terms of elements, but I think in the end, I'm hoping that it will look "Bronze"-ish in terms of speed and flow and just overall skating.

Everyone, I watched Jazzpants and our other fellow SF AN competitors do their exhibitions yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't skate my own program due to an ankle *issue* but it gave me a rare opportunity to really observe everyone else skate and cheer them on. Jazzpants did a GREAT job! From her opening stance, which was very confident, through the good flow & speed throughout, it was a strong program. Her jumps looked solid and the spins had good speed & revs. So, I heartily protest the earlier "Bronze-ish" remark and denounce it as pure balderdash! :D

I couldn't help noticing yesterday how nearly all of my friends berated themselves for something they were supposed to do in the program but didn't execute. And as we get closer to AN, it's worth a reminder that 1) the judges (at least, in 6.0 scoring) don't know what was *supposed* to be in your program, so they're not judging it from that perspective, and 2) I've seen many AN programs win and place without necessarily having every allowable technical element in the program.

Speaking of perspectives, yesterday, I was rushing to the drug store to buy tape to wrap my ankle, lamenting that I have some tendinitus getting in the way of practice, that my AN dress is still in pieces, and my boots are breaking down at the worst possible time... then, I got behind a woman with MS with crutches making her way slowly and haltingly through the Walgreen's doorway. 'Stopped me dead in my tracks. So, I look forward to seeing you, Jazzpants, and all the other lucky competitors in Lake Placid. I'll be the one with the slight limp, the duct-taped boots, maybe wearing last year's dress -- and a big smile!

BeBi

Skate@Delaware
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
It all boils down to:

WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITIC-DESERVED OR NOT (more likely NOT)!!

SKATE ON!!!!

doubletoe
03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Bebi, beautiful post! :bow:

jazzpants
03-20-2008, 02:10 AM
It all boils down to:

WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITIC-DESERVED OR NOT (more likely NOT)!!
Guilty as charged... me and a lot of my fellow SF skating friends!!!

Bebi, beautiful post! :bow:Ditto here!!! :bow: And yes, I am very thankful that I still have good enough health (both mental and physical) and have a stable enough job that allows me to continue doing this wonderful sport!

And BIG THANK YOU for the support, bebi!!! :bow: 8-) I am sad to hear that you have ankle problems. Duct taped boots!!! EEEEK!!! (Where is Mr. Duct Tape boots, TimDavidSkates on this?) I hope you and your coach can find a way to deal with this particular nasty hitch at least to get thru AN. The timing just SUCKS!!! :evil: I will say this... if you get thru this AN, you'll eventually look forward to breaking in brand new boots. (Assuming of course, that you already ordered them or plan to order them...)

bebi
03-20-2008, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=jazzpants;358544]And BIG THANK YOU for the support, bebi!!! :bow: 8-) I am sad to hear that you have ankle problems. Duct taped boots!!! EEEEK!!! (Where is Mr. Duct Tape boots, TimDavidSkates on this?) I hope you and your coach can find a way to deal with this particular nasty hitch at least to get thru AN. QUOTE]

You're very welcome, Jazzpants! And my boyfriend, whose last name coincidentally is Spiteri (read SP-Teri, and no, it's not George!) :D is working on a temporary boot solution that -- I hope -- won't involve duct tape. I've been told that after AN I'll be getting out of "those god-awful DJs (Don Jacksons)" and into "a superior boot." ;) We'll see...

And thanks, Doubletoe!

jazzpants
03-20-2008, 06:57 PM
You're very welcome, Jazzpants! And my boyfriend, whose last name coincidentally is Spiteri (read SP-Teri, and no, it's not George!) :D is working on a temporary boot solution that -- I hope -- won't involve duct tape. I've been told that after AN I'll be getting out of "those god-awful DJs (Don Jacksons)" and into "a superior boot." ;) We'll see...Glad to hear that you'll be getting better boots after AN -- and your bf better give you better boots after AN!!! :twisted: LOL!!! :P

I'm thankful my boots are still holding well after 3 years and the only problem I've had so far requires only a punch out of the ankles and that's it. Though after AN, I'll see about getting more support/padding all around since it's wearing down. I definitely don't want to have to get new boots this year since my finances are low now from... (GUESS WHAT?) the expense of competing at AN this year and our annual major home "improvement" (read: repair) of the year!!! :twisted: But we'll see...

Skate@Delaware
03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
yeah, skating is soooo expensive! I told my archery friends how much $$$ I spent on my skates and they almost died!! But considering I tend to make 50% of my outfits, it does offset some of the costs.

I did tape my daughter's old skates-which were way too soft for her after only a few months of her skating...as a big girl she pounded the freak out of them. I'm so glad she took her customs with her (down to Florida, to her new rink).

Guess you need to sell some candybars or do a carwash to raise some $$$$ for your skating fund!

Kim to the Max
03-21-2008, 08:45 AM
I just purchased new boots (Harlick Finalists) and will be buying new blades (Pattern 99s)....I told my staff how much I spent on them total (it comes to about $1,000), and their jaws dropped....but, that's what you have to do to participate in something you love....

Skate@Delaware
03-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I just purchased new boots (Harlick Finalists) and will be buying new blades (Pattern 99s)....I told my staff how much I spent on them total (it comes to about $1,000), and their jaws dropped....but, that's what you have to do to participate in something you love....
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. We bought 3 pairs of skates at the same time....I guess my husband didn't think about how MUCH they would be, I'm sure he was thinking they would be, like, $50 each....but when you add up 2 pair of Jackson Elite split-sized and one pair of Jackson flex boots and 3 pair of blades.....sheesh!!! I thought the man would have a stroke!!!!