View Full Version : New York skaters

sue123
03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I need to get my skates sharpened, and I was planning on going to Tim at Skate for Gold. The problem is, every time I call them and ask when he is going to be there so I can give him my skates, they say "There's always somebody here to sharpen skates". But I explain to them I don't want just anybody, I wanted Tim to do it. Still, they won't give me a straight answer. I'm also nervous about just leaving them, since i did it with my old skates when they had the store in another part of LI, saying I wanted Tim to sharpen them, and some hockey teen was sharpening them when I came back for them.

So does anybody know when I can find Tim at Skate for Gold in Syosset? I'm really getting frustrated that I can't get a straight answer out of them.

Debbie S
03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm not in NY, so I don't know the specifics of that shop, but when I want to get my skates sharpened, I call the morning of and ask "is so-and-so there today?" Actually, it's usually the sharpening guy himself who answers the phone, since he's the shop owner - lol...but he owns 2 shops and splits his time bet them, and of course he takes the occasional vacation, so that's why I call. And I also ask how long he'll be there (usually the answer is "until closing" but you never know, so that's why I ask).

And I wait for the skates to be sharpened. If he's not busy, he'll do it right on the spot. The last time I went, though, there was a hockey tournament at the rink that day and the shop was crowded, so I had to wait about 20-25 minutes. But I live 40 min away, so it didn't make sense to leave them and come back.

patatty
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I agree about calling ahead that day. I am on Long Island as well, and I don't use Tim (had a bad experience with my previous blades), but my sharpener (Dante) is equally, if not more elusive. I always call and find out where and when he will be on any particular day, so I don't waste hours driving all over looking for him.

doubletoe
03-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Yep, that's what I do, too. I know what days and times my blade guru is usually at the rink, so on one of those days I will call and ask if he is there. If he is not there, I won't go. If he is there, I drive up there, wait until I find him, then stand there while he sharpens my blades. However, this would probably not work if he hadn't already expressed his willingness to continue sharpening my blades (he is trying to get out of the blade sharpening business and is not taking on anyone new).

herniated
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I thought Tim was in Hicksville? You mentioned syosset? I used to use him too but Dante has two shops that I can go to.

Anyway, when you call Skate for Gold be very clear with who ever you speak with. Ask 'When is TIM going to be in to sharpen skates?' Hope I didn't sound to pushy and do what I tell you to do like..:lol:

sue123
03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I thought Tim was in Hicksville? You mentioned syosset? I used to use him too but Dante has two shops that I can go to.

Anyway, when you call Skate for Gold be very clear with who ever you speak with. Ask 'When is TIM going to be in to sharpen skates?' Hope I didn't sound to pushy and do what I tell you to do like..:lol:

I think he had a store in Hicksville, that's where I took my skates once before, but last I heard, it's closed and the store is now in the Islander's practice center in Syosset. Maybe it wasn't Hicksville, but somewhere nearby, I remember it was in Delco Plaza. Either way, he's now in Syosset.

And no, you didn't sound pushy, that's what I was trying to do when I called, and I couldn't get a straight answer. Only the very elusive "Someone will be here" and I would say specifically "I don't want just anyone, I want Tim." And still, they would just say "Oh, he's usually here most days, but even if he's not, someone will sharpen your skates". Honestly, I don't know if I just happened to call and talk to someone who maybe took a few too many pucks to the head, or maybe he just doesn't exist and it's all a facade to get people to think he's real.

I agree about calling ahead that day. I am on Long Island as well, and I don't use Tim (had a bad experience with my previous blades), but my sharpener (Dante) is equally, if not more elusive. I always call and find out where and when he will be on any particular day, so I don't waste hours driving all over looking for him.

I went to Dante when I was still in undergrad, his place was much closer for me then. But now, it would be about a 45 minute drive to get there, and I can get to Skate for Gold in about 15. But if worse comes to worse, I'll make the trip out there, I'd just prefer to be closer.

herniated
03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey sue123, I'll try and see what I can find out about Tim and his schedule. I am quite the detective you know...:lol: I've heard he spends a lot of time in Lake Placid. He has a home there.Maybe the people working in his shop are covering up the fact that he is away. I understand your frustration though. You just don't want anyone sharpening those things. And the shop I remember was in the Delco plaza too.

Dante's in NewBridge isn't too far. He's there on Saturdays too if that's a better day for you. I travel from out east and on Saturdays it takes me about ... 40 min. So if you are in Nassau it should be less. His schedule is usually m/w/f at Dix Hills from around 4:30 on and Tues/thur/sat at Newbridge. I'm not sure of his schedule there either except Sat he usually starts around 10:30am. But I always call to make sure when/if he is coming in. Sometimes I call the night before and again that day to double check. Pain in the butt.

sue123
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey sue123, I'll try and see what I can find out about Tim and his schedule. I am quite the detective you know...:lol: I've heard he spends a lot of time in Lake Placid. He has a home there.Maybe the people working in his shop are covering up the fact that he is away. I understand your frustration though. You just don't want anyone sharpening those things. And the shop I remember was in the Delco plaza too.

Dante's in NewBridge isn't too far. He's there on Saturdays too if that's a better day for you. I travel from out east and on Saturdays it takes me about ... 40 min. So if you are in Nassau it should be less. His schedule is usually m/w/f at Dix Hills from around 4:30 on and Tues/thur/sat at Newbridge. I'm not sure of his schedule there either except Sat he usually starts around 10:30am. But I always call to make sure when/if he is coming in. Sometimes I call the night before and again that day to double check. Pain in the butt.

I'm going to try to call again on Friday, maybe somebody different will answer the phone, otherwise I won't go until after I come back from spring break, already. I just wanted to go skating after class the Monday we come back, and it would have been nice to have had sharpened skates. And Newbridge will take me a while to get there because even though I'm in Nassau, I'm in the North Shore, Newbridge is further south. And the town I live in is about 20 minutes just to get to the Meadowbrook or Northern State, plus the driving time on there, so total around 40 minutes, whereas to get to Syosset, I don't need to take any highways, and it's only 15 minutes. Even closer if I can go straight from school.

Thanks for the help though, hopefully I'll have better luck on Friday. Honestly, I don't care if he's in Lake Placid. Just tell me he's not there and let me know when he will be!

herniated
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I hear you. They should just be honest. Doofuses. :frus:

And I kind of thought you might be on the North shore. That definitely adds to the trip. Even though I'm on the east end, I'm on the South shore.

patatty
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the Delco Plaza store is still there. I'm a North Shore girl myself- I grew up in Manhasset, and now live in Huntington and work in Roslyn. Getting my skates sharpened sometimes turns into a half day ordeal, which is not easy since I have 2 little kids and a job to work around!

sexyskates
03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I just saw Tim about a week ago in his new Syosett store in the ice rink. I was there about 3:00 in the afternoon (Friday I think) to buy gel socks and have a screw fixed. I believe he is in on most afternoons during the week. I am told that the store in Delco Plaza is closed now.

dbny
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I think he had a store in Hicksville, that's where I took my skates once before, but last I heard, it's closed and the store is now in the Islander's practice center in Syosset. Maybe it wasn't Hicksville, but somewhere nearby, I remember it was in Delco Plaza. Either way, he's now in Syosset.

I think the Delco Plaza store is still there.

The Hicksville store has been closed since June. I bought my last pair of blades from Tim and he sharpened them - very badly. Unfortunately, he was in a hurry when he worked on my blades. It took me over a month to get them right. I won't be going back. I've heard great things about Dante lately, but also heard bad things in the past. I now have a Pro-Filer and intend to use it exclusively. If you want someone closer, Chris Morales, at Aviator, is reputed to be a genius at sharpening. I haven't had him sharpen my blades, but others have, and judging from the other work he does there (Zamboni, etc.), I would say that he is a perfectionist. Same rule applies - call first to be sure he is there and available for sharpenings.

herniated
03-13-2008, 09:19 AM
I just saw Tim about a week ago in his new Syosett store in the ice rink. I was there about 3:00 in the afternoon (Friday I think) to buy gel socks and have a screw fixed. I believe he is in on most afternoons during the week. I am told that the store in Delco Plaza is closed now.

Having a screw fixed? lol:lol: You know I'm just teasing you sexy! You're great!! I have many screws that need fixing, mental ones!! he he he

dbny-I stopped going to him years ago for a similar problem but I know of many senior level skaters who use him. Good to know about the guy @ aviator. Dante tends to make the blades R-e-a-l-l-y sharp, so if you don't like that TELL him. He does a good job in general but it can take a long time too. So I can relate patattny. It's another job.:frus: And regarding these dudes making mistakes w/blades... I guess they all have off days..nobodies perfect but it sucks when they have an off day on your very EXPENSIVE blades.

sue123
03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
All this bad stuff about Tim is really making me reconsider now. Maybe I should just make the drive out to see Dante, he's done my skates before and I haven't had any problems. I'll keep the guy from Aviator in mind, but I don't know when I'll get the chance to be back in Brooklyn. I'm going home tomorrow evening, and leave Saturday morning for my vacation, and then I won't be back in Brooklyn until who knows when. I guess I could make a detour and see if Dante will be in tomorrow, stop there on my way home, maybe.

Ugh, why can't skates just sharpen themselves???? I don't trust myself with a Profiler, I'd probably find a way to mess up my blades.

herniated
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Sue.. I believe Dante is at Newbridge today/THursday and Tomorrow he will be at Dix hills / Friday. If you need/ can't find his numbers let me know and I will PM them to you.