View Full Version : woohoo! permission to jump!

ibreakhearts66
03-12-2008, 01:13 AM
sooo i saw the orthopod today. i was actually seeing him about a complication from the surgery (there seems to have been some vascular damage, so i have a blue, atrophied foot. totally creepy. you can see every single tendon/ligament/bone when i bend my toes up. also, there are these weird lines on my shin in the shape of veins that the doc says are actually the result of my blood trying to create a different pathway.
anyways.
i told him that i had been cheating a little bit and had been jumping. then i asked him if i could still start jumping at 3 months and he said yes. so then i asked "well, can i start now?" and said it would be fine! it's two weeks early, but he said i can continue to work on my current jumps, but not new ones. and i mean what he said was true...if i fall just right my hips is gonna be busted whether i fall at 2.5 months, 3 months, 6 months or 10 years.

now i don't have to wait until my coach is off the ice to sneak double toes :D

but don't worry guys, i'm being smart. i'm not doing double sals, or even singles sals because it requires so much of the right hip. only axels, double toes and double loops...no torquing there!

SkatingOnClouds
03-12-2008, 02:54 AM
yay, great news !!!
Take it easy out there, and have fun!!!

herniated
03-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Yippeee!! The foot thing does sound creepy.8O Are you getting any PT for the foot too? Take it easy out there!!

sue123
03-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Yay! Be careful out there though.

doubletoe
03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Congratulations! Continue to skate smart, and give us practice reports!

jazzpants
03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Congratulations! And what are you doing here reading this for? Get back out there on the ice and do some jumps!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

deannathegeek
03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Congrats! Take it easy, don't hurt yourself, and enjoy!

ibreakhearts66
03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Congratulations! And what are you doing here reading this for? Get back out there on the ice and do some jumps!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

just finished taking a nap to recover from skating today :)

it was awesome. my axels were HUGE. i was going to try a double sal, but the motion of the free leg was suuuper painful, so i popped it and didn't try again. double toes were pretty good. double loops were great! it really feels like i've hardly missed a beat when it comes to those jumps.

hmmm. coach asked me to demonstrate a split-falling leaf. that was painful, but only because i don't have full range of motion yet.

it is great to be jumping again. moves in the field can be entertaining for a bit, but man, i am sick of rockers!

kander
03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Put on Van Halen's "Jump" and go wild :)

jazzpants
03-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Put on Van Halen's "Jump" and go wild :)
(Jazzpants hates to admit that she has THAT tune on her iPod for the gym. :oops: She practices her off ice jumps with that tune crankin' in her headphones!!! :P :lol: )

coskater64
03-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I would suggest being very careful especially if you don't have your full ROM back yet. Of course you are young so you will heal faster than us sweet little old ladies. I jumped to soon and destroyed all my newly repaired cartlidge, that got me a new hip. Remember you are landing with greater than your body weight on that new cartlidge, while you don't have arthritis you don't know what caused this and if you go back to doing what you were doing it might return.

Might you think about getting further along in your moves. I find the blue leg not good, if your blood flow is compromised you could have some serious issues.

I would be careful, very careful, ....

jazzpants
03-13-2008, 12:10 PM
it was awesome. my axels were HUGE. i was going to try a double sal, but the motion of the free leg was suuuper painful, so i popped it and didn't try again. double toes were pretty good. double loops were great! it really feels like i've hardly missed a beat when it comes to those jumps.

hmmm. coach asked me to demonstrate a split-falling leaf. that was painful, but only because i don't have full range of motion yet.Okay, not having full ROM... I'll revised my answer from "Go for it!" to "Go for it...but be very VERY careful!!!" Never push the envelope on the ROM thing... it's your body's way of telling 'ya that you're NOT quite 100% yet... Of course, do what you CAN do though. Best to ease back into the jumps.

(This sweet little old lady is looking forward...and SCARED at the same time 8O , of working on multi-rotational jumps in the future, given the off-ice jump exercises that she's been doing at the gym lately and her previous sciatica problems. SCARY SCARY!!! 8O )

ibreakhearts66
03-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Okay, not having full ROM... I'll revised my answer from "Go for it!" to "Go for it...but be very VERY careful!!!" Never push the envelope on the ROM thing... it's your body's way of telling 'ya that you're NOT quite 100% yet... Of course, do what you CAN do though. Best to ease back into the jumps.

(This sweet little old lady is looking forward...and SCARED at the same time 8O , of working on multi-rotational jumps in the future, given the off-ice jump exercises that she's been doing at the gym lately and her previous sciatica problems. SCARY SCARY!!! 8O )

the ROM problem isn't a big deal--i promise. i saw the surgeon and he actually said that my ROM was really good. all of my ROM problems right now are due to the muscles (i think) and not the repair or swelling. my hip flexor muscle is still a little tight. i figure that has to do with the cutting that was done INSIDE. the surgeon explained that while the outside incisions are very minor, on the inside he has to cut the whole joint capsule open etc etc.

i'm still taking it pretty easy tho. i'm jumping but not doing too many jumps, nothing close to usual (i used to jump for like 3 hours straight, all doubles). i really appreciate the concern, but don't worry, i know my limits! well...i think...

JamesFrier
03-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Good news (about being able to jump) for you indeed. Does it hurt, the .. blue foot.. that sounds really strange. I hope you heal properly from your surgery complications. A skaters need to jump is like a caterpillars need to become a butterfly.

ibreakhearts66
03-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Good news (about being able to jump) for you indeed. Does it hurt, the .. blue foot.. that sounds really strange. I hope you heal properly from your surgery complications. A skaters need to jump is like a caterpillars need to become a butterfly.

no it doesn't hurt at all! it just looks funny. it can be a little creepy and corpse-like too, but no pain. pulses in the foot are fine and it doesn't get cold or anything.

herniated
03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Take a picture of it and post it!! (The foot that is)8O Eeeeewwww. Only kidding, I'm in a weird mood today.

Skate@Delaware
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I would suggest being very careful especially if you don't have your full ROM back yet. Of course you are young so you will heal faster than us sweet little old ladies. I jumped to soon and destroyed all my newly repaired cartlidge, that got me a new hip. Remember you are landing with greater than your body weight on that new cartlidge, while you don't have arthritis you don't know what caused this and if you go back to doing what you were doing it might return.

Might you think about getting further along in your moves. I find the blue leg not good, if your blood flow is compromised you could have some serious issues.

I would be careful, very careful, ....
had echos of elmer fudd's voice "wascawwy wabbit wasn't careful!!!!" scolding you from you jumping too much too soon!!!! At least you know we care about you!!!!