View Full Version : I must laugh at myself...

isakswings
03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I had a dream about skating. I dreamt I was doing little jumps. Not anything I have seen before and nothing major, but it was funny to me that I was doing that in a dream! Not to mention, in the dream I did it effortlessly! LOL! To funny considering I am not sure I WANT to jump!

I can't believe I dreamt about skating! I guess I really enjoy it!

singerskates
03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Well if you're already doing some other kind of figure skating, maybe you should get your coach to teach you some jumps and see if you like to jump. You'll know whether or not jumping is for you in about a week or so.

isakswings
03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Well if you're already doing some other kind of figure skating, maybe you should get your coach to teach you some jumps and see if you like to jump. You'll know whether or not jumping is for you in about a week or so.

I don't have a coach. :-) I'm very much a recreational skater at this point. I am taking the adult LTS classes and I skate about 3 times a week total. My daughter takes private lessons and I have told her coach, once I get into soem decent skates and feel ready, I want to take a few lessons from her. It won't be regular and really just for kicks. Where I am at now, I know I am not ready to jump. The first thing I need to do is get my feet into decent skates. LOL!

Thanks for the reply!

dbny
03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Don't laugh! Skating dreams are a sign that you are becoming addicted. I dream of skating all the time. Up until last night, my skating dreams have all been of things I used to do on roller skates, but don't come close to on ice. I wake up feeling great - until I get to the rink and reality sets in. Last night, I dreamed that I could not do F or B crossovers! It was a nightmare. Then my R skate came unlaced so far that I lifted my foot up and took the skate off. Had to power pull off the ice (OK, that part was good).

kander
03-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I had a dream about skating. I dreamt I was doing little jumps. Not anything I have seen before and nothing major, but it was funny to me that I was doing that in a dream! Not to mention, in the dream I did it effortlessly! LOL! To funny considering I am not sure I WANT to jump!

I do my best skating in my sleep :lol: :halo:

mikawendy
03-11-2008, 01:01 AM

Funny, I'm the opposite--I keep having these dreams where I'm skating, but there aren't really blades on my skates, so I push and nothing happens, almost like I'm trying to skate in bare feet.

Once, a long time ago, I dreamt that on my moves test, the judges got out on the ice and looked at the tracings (for the alternating 3s), as if it were a figures test!!

Rusty Blades
03-11-2008, 04:29 AM
To funny considering I am not sure I WANT to jump!

LOL! Uh-huh, I started skating for "recreation" in 2006, with no intention of ever jumping (I am 58). A year later I was competing and now I am jumping and have entered a Freeskate competition.

The dreams tell it all! 8O Welcome to A.O.S.S.!!!

Mrs Redboots
03-11-2008, 07:48 AM
I do my best skating in my sleep :lol: :halo:I usually dream that there's no ice, for whatever reason, and I am either skating through mountains of slush, or else the whole thing turns into a swimming gala instead....

Isakswings, watch out - this sport is addictive and we all start out by just wanting to do one or two things, for kicks..... yeah, right....

isakswings
03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
I usually dream that there's no ice, for whatever reason, and I am either skating through mountains of slush, or else the whole thing turns into a swimming gala instead....

Isakswings, watch out - this sport is addictive and we all start out by just wanting to do one or two things, for kicks..... yeah, right....

LOL... well I think my problem is, I am not overly athletic. I've never been and it takes me longer to "get" things. I've always envied natural athletes. My LTS coach did say I was the fastest skater in the adult class... that's something right? Hee hee. Anyway, time will tell...I do love the sport. :-)

isakswings
03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
LOL! Uh-huh, I started skating for "recreation" in 2006, with no intention of ever jumping (I am 58). A year later I was competing and now I am jumping and have entered a Freeskate competition.

The dreams tell it all! 8O Welcome to A.O.S.S.!!!

I guess time will tell. :-) Last week there was a woman at the rink who was writing an article for the local paper on adult ice skating. Anyway... she asked how long I had been taking lessons and I said 2 weeks. LOL! I explained that I have been skating recreationally for awhile, but that I decided to take my own lessons since I was already at the rink with my kids. She asked me if I knew that there were adult competitions. I said yes and she asked me if I had thought about doing them in the future. I said I really didn't know if I would. I said at this point, this is all for fun and purely recreational.

At this point, it truly is recreational and my excercise outlet. It's fun and I hope to eventually look like I know what I am doing out there! I'm already thinking about taking a few private lessons once I get my new skates. Honestly, I can't say what the future holds. :-)

Angie

isakswings
03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Don't laugh! Skating dreams are a sign that you are becoming addicted. I dream of skating all the time. Up until last night, my skating dreams have all been of things I used to do on roller skates, but don't come close to on ice. I wake up feeling great - until I get to the rink and reality sets in. Last night, I dreamed that I could not do F or B crossovers! It was a nightmare. Then my R skate came unlaced so far that I lifted my foot up and took the skate off. Had to power pull off the ice (OK, that part was good).

Oh my! That sounds like a nightmare! Yikes!

When my kids were younger, I was obsessed with car seats and car seat safety. I am still obsessed with it to some degree, but not quite like I was then. My kids are older and times have changed, so I'm not AS obsessed any more. Anyway, I used to dream about car seats and car seat check-up clinics! I knew I was truly obsessed at that point, so I guess I am getting there about skating! I still don't see myself jumping, but I do love to skate. :-)

isakswings
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Funny, I'm the opposite--I keep having these dreams where I'm skating, but there aren't really blades on my skates, so I push and nothing happens, almost like I'm trying to skate in bare feet.

Once, a long time ago, I dreamt that on my moves test, the judges got out on the ice and looked at the tracings (for the alternating 3s), as if it were a figures test!!

Yikes! Dreams are funny, aren't they?

isakswings
03-11-2008, 09:49 AM

I wonder what my next dream will hold for me? LOL

dbny
03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Just FYI if you don't already know - you can put multiple quotes into one post by clicking the " button to the right of the quote button. The " button will turn red and when you are ready to post, click the post reply button at the bottom of the page.

sue123
03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Just FYI if you don't already know - you can put multiple quotes into one post by clicking the " button to the right of the quote button. The " button will turn red and when you are ready to post, click the post reply button at the bottom of the page.

Huh, I didn't know that either. I always wondered what it was for, but could never figure it out.

Anyway, when I dream about skating, I'm usually one of the elite skaters with beautiful triples and amazing flexibility. I get to compete all across the world and wear pretty dresses, while I study for my next exam backstage. But last night, I had a dream that I was practicing, and I wasn't doing things I didn't already know how to do. For instance, I learned a flip a while ago, and was able to do a nice single, but haven't done one in a long time. But last night, I dreamed that I was practicing waltz jumps, single flips, toe loops, and salchows, along with some sit spins and scratch spins. And they weren't amazing like the ones in my dreams usually are, just average. The jumps weren't huge, kinda small, actually. But they were landed cleanly.

Just strange to all of a sudden go from the impossible dreams about skating to the someday might happen dreams. I wasn't even wearing a skating dress, just some stretch pants and a sweatshirt.

deannathegeek
03-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Did you feel good in this dream? Maybe it's a sign you should give jumping a try.

On topic of dreams, I work long hours as a computer tech and at times I've actually dreamed about solutions to various problems. :D

Morgail
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Didn't we have a thread a while back about skating dreams? I remember that some of them were just hilarious!

The best/funniest skating dream I ever had was the one where I was skating pairs with Johnny Weir:lol:

SynchroSk8r114
03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Didn't we have a thread a while back about skating dreams? I remember that some of them were just hilarious!

The best/funniest skating dream I ever had was the one where I was skating pairs with Johnny Weir:lol:

We sure did. I started it here: http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24811&highlight=skating+dreams

Mrs Redboots
03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
LOL... well I think my problem is, I am not overly athletic. I've never been and it takes me longer to "get" things. I've always envied natural athletes. My LTS coach did say I was the fastest skater in the adult class... that's something right? Hee hee. Anyway, time will tell...I do love the sport. :-)I was a couch potato until I discovered ice skating!

Actually way back in the early days of the Internet (round about 1996/7) there was a mailing list for skaters, and one of the sayings on there was that people started skating to avoid having to go to the gym, and then ended up going to the gym to improve their skating....

isakswings
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I was a couch potato until I discovered ice skating!

Actually way back in the early days of the Internet (round about 1996/7) there was a mailing list for skaters, and one of the sayings on there was that people started skating to avoid having to go to the gym, and then ended up going to the gym to improve their skating....

To be honest, one of the reasons I skate IS to avoid the gym. It is certainly more costly then a gym membership, but I enjoy skating so much more then I enjoy going to a gym. That said, I know I need to add in other excercise too, but I still don't have an interest in going to a gym. HEE!

isakswings
03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Did you feel good in this dream? Maybe it's a sign you should give jumping a try.

On topic of dreams, I work long hours as a computer tech and at times I've actually dreamed about solutions to various problems. :D

I felt GREAT in the dream! :-) In my dream, I was jumping with ease and as if I had always done it. I know I am not at a level where I am ready to jump just yet, so I will give it some time before I consider that. Not to mention, I've got to get my new boots! :-)

isakswings
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it