View Full Version : Most Impressive Thing You've Seen?

kander
03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
What is the most impressive thing you've ever seen on a session? About 10 or 15 years ago I saw Debbie Tomas on a really crowded public session skating about 100 mph through and around the crowd. She dodged her way around and did a triple toe loop with people a few feet away on both sides and right in front of her. That's the kind of confidence I could only dream of having.

Clarice
03-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Not to rip on Debi Thomas, but I think it's kind of reckless to attempt triples on a crowded public session. While I'm sure she was totally in control of herself at all times, she was definitely not in control of the public session skaters, who may have unwittingly stumbled into her path at just the wrong time. That could have been very dangerous.

The most impressive thing I ever saw was also something reckless and potentially dangerous, but not the fault of the skater involved. He was my daughter's coach at the time, and a former Olympian. Some pals at the rink had played a practical joke on him and put Scotch tape on the bottoms of his blades, so when he went out on the ice it was as if he still had his guards on. He was holding a cup of coffee at the time, and not only managed to get all the way across the rink to the boards, but didn't spill a drop. Amazing! (Kids, do NOT try this!!!!)

sk8tmum
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Two very senior skaters dropping everything to play with and encourage a little boy with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) who was trying very hard to get up off the ice and skate forward.

He did it.

We cheered.

If you're familiar with ASD, you'll know that the reaction from the kid wasn't what we might all recognize as happiness, but, it was a step forward on many fronts.

Kim to the Max
03-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Two very senior skaters dropping everything to play with and encourage a little boy with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) who was trying very hard to get up off the ice and skate forward.

He did it.

We cheered.

If you're familiar with ASD, you'll know that the reaction from the kid wasn't what we might all recognize as happiness, but, it was a step forward on many fronts.

That is probably the best thing that I have heard in a long time :)

Award
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Not to rip on Debi Thomas, but I think it's kind of reckless to attempt triples on a crowded public session. While I'm sure she was totally in control of herself at all times, she was definitely not in control of the public session skaters

Absolutely right. That's how accidents occur in some practice sessions even at international skating competitions. Like, somebody might be in full control of their own skating, but you might not be able to control everything on the rink, especially in a crowded public session. And, besides, crowded public sessions can be very nasty to skate in, because people tend to accidentally drop things like a coin, a small hair pin on the ice, and some rental skates tend to self destruct (with age)...and they drop pieces of plastic straps on the ice....small pieces, and if you're skating fast and preparing to do a jump, and your skate just so happens to slide onto one of these small things, there's no telling what could happen.

I haven't seen anything too super impressive. But I think that I would be very very impressed if I saw somebody to a quad jump! And even more super impressed if somebody had the courage to do a 5 rotation jump hehe

ibreakhearts66
03-09-2008, 11:58 PM
the most impressive thing i've ever seen is from my coach. she does the most spectacular cantilever you have ever seen. she gets so low she can drag her hair/head on the ice. one time she was doing one for us (she goes CW when she does it). well, one of her students was about to crash into her. she manages to grab him (maybe even mid jump) while coming up from the cantilever. both we 100% fine.

here's a pic of Mr. Frick doing one

http://www.jacksonskates.com/photos/pics/T-5.jpg

deannathegeek
03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
I was watching the Four Continents Championships on my DVR this weekend, and OMFG-Daisuke Takahashi! That man can SKATE! If you have the opportunity to see him skate, DO IT! He beat Evan Lysacek by over 30 points! His digital swan lake is amazing. I think I'm in love.....:bow:

tidesong
03-10-2008, 03:26 AM
I find daisuke's swan lake program really impressive but i've only seen it on video...

in my session the most impressive thing here would probably be my friend's deathdrop... which isnt much but there really isn't much about the skating here anyways.

jskater49
03-10-2008, 04:59 AM
I knew a 16 year old junior skater who could do a flying sit that could rival any elite skater.

If they did flying sits anymore.

j

skaternum
03-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Kevin VDP doing a HUGE quad with only about 4 of us on the ice. 8O

smelltheice
03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I don't know about fantastic but the most guilty I have ever felt was years ago when I first was learning. I was at a rink in San Diego on a busy public session and I knocked over this boy who was about 13 or so. The part I felt most guilty about was that he had a hearing aid in both ears and they both came out and went skidding across the ice. I went to help him but the steward asked me to stand back while they took care of him

Rusty Blades
03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Haven't had the opportunity to share the ice with any "big names" but occasionally with some National competitors. The most impressive I have seen (when I have been on the same ice) is a Masters Pairs team warming up some overhead lifts. It looks impressive enough from the stands but when you are on the ice with them and realize just HOW HIGH the girl is off the ice it's down right SCARY!

Kim to the Max
03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Not entirely figure skating related, but I skated at the Pettit Center in Milwaukee when I was younger and while we were on the inner rinks practicing, we would often see Dan Jansen or Bonnie Blair training on the speed skating oval.

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Two international skaters doing a Canasta Tango as a warm-up (she was just back from injury and not attempting very much yet). Pretty darn impressive!

Actually, the most impressive thing I ever saw at my home rink was two male international skaters soloing the Golden Waltz - one, learning the steps, was shadowing the other.... we all stopped to watch and clapped at the end!

mikawendy
03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Seeing a skater at one of the rinks I skate at do walley-half loop-double flip. It looked SO cool.

In terms of elite skaters, Shen and Zhao's long program from 2003 Worlds was amazing to watch. I didn't even see it live--saw it on the jumbotron during their exhibition. It was very moving, and her grit and determination was amazing.

Rusty Blades
03-11-2008, 04:33 AM
One of the most inspiring things I have seen is a 16 year old girl (competitive skater) that I skate with working on her triple axel. I have never personally known anyone who is doing triples before. It is inspiring and awesome!

dbny
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
The most impressive thing I've seen in person and not in a show or competition was one of DD's coaches do a huge, gorgeous axel wearing the worst kind of cheap, blue plastic rental skates. When you've got great technique and have spent your life on the ice, crummy skates/blades are not going to keep you from doing a little thing like an axel!

momsk8er
03-11-2008, 11:27 AM
one of our coaches who also plays hockey occasionally can do a sit spin in hockey skates. I was pretty amazed to see that.

sue123
03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I saw a 90 year old skating, still doing spins and jumps too. He was also in a calendar that my friend's bank put out, but it was only at the local branch. I hope to be able to still skate when I'm 90, that's amazing.

jazzpants
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
What is the most impressive thing you've ever seen on a session? About 10 or 15 years ago I saw Debbie Tomas on a really crowded public session skating about 100 mph through and around the crowd. She dodged her way around and did a triple toe loop with people a few feet away on both sides and right in front of her. That's the kind of confidence I could only dream of having.I seen a similar thing with Brian Boitano at a coffee club session in Oakland. Of course, the coffee club session in Oakland at the time was predominantly figure skaters that can make it there and not the ice dancing crowd that we have here in San Francisco. But it's definitely NOT a high level (as in axels or above) session either. He was doing his famous Boitano triples lutz while the coffee club skaters (and me on the side... I didn't have my skates on and I was on my "rest" day) He also knocked over one woman though, but he was VERY gracious and apologizing to her profusely...

Most impressive thing? Don't know... I've seen a lot of skating stuff so nothing much impresses me these days, but that coffee club thing is right up there on the "impressive stuff" I've seen.

Morgail
03-11-2008, 03:44 PM
ibreakhearts - That picture is so neat! Makes my knees hurt to look at it though;)

When I was working on my loop a year and a half ago, I saw one of the coaches at my rink demonstrate a single loop for his student. He had hang time in that jump! I believe my jaw dropped to the floor (ice).

There is also a skater in his 80s who I love to watch. He doesn't skate that often, but he's just fantastic when he does. He has the nicest edges I've ever seen, and everything he does is just so smooth and flowing. I want to skate like him when I'm that age (or even now:lol: )!

Oh, and I saw Kimmie Meissner land a triple axel in warm-up at the 2006 Campbell's Cup - right in front of where I was sitting:)

Award
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I never would have thought such a cantilever position would be possible until seeing the guy at icetricks.com do it, and also in the picture shown in this thread, and also after seeing the world record limbo champion guy do his record limbo stunt (on normal floor), as well as the little girl that did the world record limbo on roller skates. It's truly spectacular.

Award
03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
and also after seeing the world record limbo champion guy do his record limbo stunt (on normal floor)

I just found out that the guy's record was beaten by a girl. So a lady is now world record holder.

flippet
03-11-2008, 05:12 PM
One of the coolest things I've seen up close and in person was at a clinic, watching Jamie Silverstein and Justin Pekarek demonstrate some stroking for the kids.

My jaw hit the ice, and I couldn't pick it up for a while. You think you know what smooth and fast looks like, until you *really* see it.

doubletoe
03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I've been lucky enough to share the ice with a number of world level skaters, but I think the most jaw-dropping moment was watching Sasha Cohen a few feet away from me doing a camel spin. The position she achieved made me feel like I'd never seen a camel spin before!

AshBugg44
03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Shaun whats-his-face that trained with Kimmie Meissner doing 4toe/3toe combinations at MY rink! That was when Nationals were in Portland. Of course, just seeing people like Kimmie, Katy Taylor, and John & Rena skating at my rink was pretty cool!

Skittl1321
03-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Even though they were the "lower" senior ladies- watching the programs at regionals was pretty cool. Our rink doesn't have many high level skaters so seeing that was really exciting. It was less exciting when they took advantage of our rinks cheap freestyle and my lesson was affectively pushed to the boards.

Honestly though, from watching our newest instructor in class, even seeing an elite skater do crossovers is pretty impressive. Sure the jumps are WOW, but the basic skills when he demonstrates are just as wow. And since basic skills are obtainable to me (triples are not) it makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to get mine to look like that.

Sylvia
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Sean whats-his-face that trained with Kimmie Meissner doing 4toe/3toe combinations at MY rink! That was when Nationals were in Portland.
Shaun Rogers is his name. :)

I once skated in a public session in Switzerland with the Protopopovs practicing in the center of the ice -- that was cool.