View Full Version : Jumps, ankle pain, and knee pain. *sigh*

kimberley801
03-08-2008, 07:36 PM
So I got my new skates a couple of months ago and they're pretty much broken in. I'm getting into little jumps at this point (ballet jump, bunny hop, half flip, waltz) and I've developed some pain on the medial part of my left ankle. This started happening at the same time as I started the ballet jump and half flip. That means picking and landing with my left toe a lot. Ice makes it go away and all seems to be well until I return to the ice and jump some more.

I have never had problems with my ankles and have never even twisted my ankles. Not even in Basketball. Now all of a sudden my ankle hurts. What kinds of exercises can I do to strengthen my ankle?

Also, I developed knee pain (anterior/medial) in my Right knee shortly after getting my new skates. I can't recall when it started exactly and my knee doesn't hurt during skating. It hurts off ice, and becomes very stiff when I'm sitting down or laying down for a long time. Knee supports/braces help some, as well as ice. Any thoughts on what could have caused this? Could by blade be misaligned?

Skate@Delaware
03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Have your coach check you out for improper takeoff/landing technique for one. You also might need additional support (orthotics) inside your boots.

If you are doing a LOT of jumps recently it could be overuse. You might want to back off until these symptoms are resolved. You don't want to aggravate them and cause a more severe injury!!!

Reminds me of when we first got our trampoline-my kids were out there for over 3 hours the first day...the 2nd day they hurt all over! Well they kept it up like that for over a week (it was summer). After that week, my daughter noticed that her knee was swollen (right knee, she was doing off-ice jumping). Diagnosis from the doctor-overuse. Treatment-ice, rest (no more trampoline jumping for 2 weeks), ibuprofen, stretching.

Sessy
03-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Strength shouldn't be the problem on the jumps you're describing, not if you didn't have any problems playing basketball.

Could it be the laces of the boot or the back of the boot are smacking against some tendons on each landing? Bunga pads might solve that issue.

About the knee, maybe see your doctor, damaged joints can keep you from jumping indefinitely and you don't want that.

ibreakhearts66
03-10-2008, 12:18 AM
my bet would be pronation. do your skates have orthotics? you could try getting super feet (http://www.superfeet.com/products/Grey.aspx). i'm not a doctor or anything obviously, but it sounds like they could help.

johns135
03-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Work your roll-up to toe-pick drills a lot. I think you are skidding into
your jumps, and that is twisting your knees and ankles. Most coaches
don't teach these drills either ... but jumps need a firm locked down
takeoff point, and you get that with your toe-pick.

johns

doubletoe
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Two other things to think about:
1) How do your skates fit? If there is any extra width in the ankle or any extra length in the boot, your heels/ankles might be wobbling when you do those toepick takeoffs and landings.

2) How stiff are your skates, and do you have them laced all the way up tightly? If they are stiff and laced all the way up to the top hook, you might not be getting enough ankle bend, which will stress your knee.

kimberley801
03-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys

My knee is actually getting a lot better. Ironically my skates are not as stiff now. So I think that problem is pretty much solved.

I started jumping a lot all of a sudden, which probably explains a lot. I am also not picking correctly and landing with way too much emphasis on the toepick. I've tweaked a few things and my ankle did not hurt this past skating session. Thanks for all of your help!