View Full Version : ISI Club Question

blue111moon
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I've been an individual member of ISI for years and know nothing about the "club" aspect. What does ISI club membership involve? I know that ISI membership is generally through a rink program, but can anyone explain to me how the "club" aspect works?

Is an ISI club structured like a USFS club, with bylaws and a board of directors?

I've checked out the ISI site and there's nothing on club membership, just individual memeberships for skaters and arena memberships for the rinks. The link to the arena-run programs have no information on the club - just on the programs offered for figure skating and hockey.

Stormy
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure how much this will help, but this the first big ISI school that popped into my head in the area. They seem to have an ISI club.

http://www.sharperedgeskating.com/club/handbook.html

Skittl1321
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I belong to an ISI club- however it's on the other side of my state, so I'm not real active in it, but my coach requires membership to be one of his students.

Anyway here's what I can tell you:
We do have a board and the club says they are a 501(c)3 organization.
I assume there must be some sort of bylaws and rules but i've never seen them! Our club is based out of a specific rink, but not all the skaters in the club are at that rink- we are scattered throughout the state.

By being a member of the club (our fee is $50 which includes ISI membership) I am eligible to skate in club shows (for free), eligible for special club focus group sessions (at a cost, but I do not participate as they are on the other side of the state) and have the cameraderie of the club when I travel to competitions. I also earn points for my club when I skate at competitions.

The biggest benefit to me was the ice show. I had never performed before, and since there was no fee, it was a fantastic opportunity.

The ISI club members are also often invited to skate in the USFSA club shows (for a fee). An individual skater who is a member of neither club wouldn't have this option.

Although i don't compete our club is very active in traveling to competitions and goes to ISI nationals and world's- I imagine that for the kids (and their parents) it is just less daunting to have a support group built in with this travel than to try to do it alone.

To my knowledge, the club is mostly lower levels (below ISI 4-5) with the exception of the coaches who skate higher than that.

If my coach didn't require it, I probably would not have joined, however.