View Full Version : I passed!

BatikatII
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
just wanted to post I passed my NISA level 2 in Free and elements today. I've not been posting in the lessons thread as if things were going well I didnt' want to jinx it.:D

Nearly missed the warm up for elements test as coach hadn't realised level 1 and 2 were warming up together so I'd gone to the loo! Had to rush to put on my skates and missed first minute of warm up time which didn't help my panic levels.

The nice thing was the judge commented after on my lovely basic skating (his words!). (First element is basic stroking around rink in both directions with 6 pushes per side). He was impressed with my having the weight nicely centred over the skate and no toepushes. Which was probably just as well since my normally reliable sit spin then went completely to pot because my legs started to shake. Had to reskate that and eked out the 3 revs but not as low as usual.

Amazingly did not have to reskate the backspin which I had been worried about as I eked out the two revs on that and overall got .2 over the pass mark.

On the Free I felt a bit shakey again and did not perform nearly as well as I can but managed a pass. His comment was for more power and attack - and to work on the sitspin position to get lower as that was poor in the free as well. Not sure what happened to it - maybe jealous of all the attention I' ve been giving to the backspin.:lol:

So now I am a fully fledged level 2:lol:

Skittl1321
03-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Congratulations! that's something to be proud of for sure!

jazzpants
03-07-2008, 10:08 AM
YAAAAAY!!! Congrats BatikatII!!! WHOO HOO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/c040.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/k055.gifhttp://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/c035.gif

Isk8NYC
03-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Congratulations!!!

jcookie1982
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Congrats!!!

frbskate63
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Especially on the backspin!!

I remember doing perimeter stroking for level 1 elements - it comes up again for level 2??

Fiona

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Yay, well done you! It's the spins that are stopping Husband taking his Level 2 Elements and Free (he already has Moves).

http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1002/1002339l3h7mj14sb.gif (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Helen88
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Congratulations!!

samba
03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
WELL DONE, CONGRATULATIONS

Kim to the Max
03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Congratulations!

NickiT
03-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Really pleased that you passed! It always seems to be the spins that are the dodgy thing when it comes to testing, but even if your sit spin wasn't as good as usual, it must have been pretty good for you to pass! Well done!

Nicki

Scarlett
03-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Congratulations!

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
WOO-HOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

dbny
03-07-2008, 09:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Do you not have a track that is just moves and no freestyle elements? If I had to do spins, I would not be able to test at all.

mikawendy
03-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Congratulations! Job well done!!!

NickiT
03-08-2008, 05:21 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Do you not have a track that is just moves and no freestyle elements? If I had to do spins, I would not be able to test at all.

Yes. For free skaters there are three tests per level - field moves, elements and free. To compete you need to have pased field moves at the level you intend to compete at along with elements and/or free at that level.

Nicki

momsk8er
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Congratulations! I can't imagine a test that goes from something as basic as perimeter stroking to a sit spin! That's quite a range of ability levels.

BatikatII
03-08-2008, 01:25 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Yes we do and I have level 4 in that!!!!:lol: Hence I did not need to take any moves tests along with the free and elements.:)

BatikatII
03-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Congratulations! I can't imagine a test that goes from something as basic as perimeter stroking to a sit spin! That's quite a range of ability levels.

The stroking comes up again and again and obviously they expect the standard to improve as you go up through the levels. One of the high level tests includes Russian stroking which my (Russian) coach makes me do every time we have lesson - the only level 10 (or whatever) move I reckon I could perform quite competently already!

The judge commented because he said he does not often see someone at level two who skates with their weight over the skate so well. I was flattered and surprised but maybe the ice dance lessons have been paying off! At level one they are just looking to see that you can glide on one foot basically and at level two that you can put some power in it. It's a good thing to have in every test, as some of the kids like to whizz through the levels on the basis of their jumps and spins but their basic skating can be awful.

The actual elements were:

basic stroking (max 6 pushes a side and crossovers around ends in both directions).
a 3 jump (waltz) with flow
a salchow with flow
upright spin - correct entry and exit and min 3 revs
sit spin - as above
backspin - min 2 revs
step sequence (I think it has to include at least one back 3)

Freeskate (1.5 mins) has to include some elements from that level: in this case 2 spins (I did upright and sit) and 3 jumps including a combo (I did toeloop, salchow-toeloop combo and a loop ) plus a step sequence.

I've done more difficult elements in competition but the test was far more nerve racking than any competition and I particularly hate the elements test as you are out there alone with no music and only the sound of your skates.

BatikatII
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Especially on the backspin!!

I remember doing perimeter stroking for level 1 elements - it comes up again for level 2??

Fiona

Backspin wasn't very good (and I did abort the first attempt) but am working on it..:halo:

'fraid the perimeter stroking keeps recurring - isn't there some stroking in level 3 Nicki?

twokidsskatemom
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: 8-) 8-) :bow:

looplover
03-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Yay, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow:

deannathegeek
03-08-2008, 11:57 PM
W00t W00t!!! Congrats!:bow: :bow: :bow:

NickiT
03-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Backspin wasn't very good (and I did abort the first attempt) but am working on it..:halo:

'fraid the perimeter stroking keeps recurring - isn't there some stroking in level 3 Nicki?

For level 3 it's a figure of 8 crossovers - forwards CCW - backwards CW - backwards CCW - forwards - CW. Sounds easy but the transitions from one direction to the other are pretty tricky and scary at that speed as they are not the way that would come naturally!

Nicki

BatikatII
03-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Ah yes I remember Marcin making me practice those - hated those awkward transitions.:twisted:
Another reason it'll be many years before I attempt level 3!

frbskate63
03-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I remember doing those too - especially the really evil step forward from backwards CCW to forwards CW.

I won't be attempting level 2, let alone 3, any time soon - the backspin is coming, but the sit spin neither sits nor spins.

Fiona

Mrs Redboots
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
The stroking comes up again and again and obviously they expect the standard to improve as you go up through the levels. One of the high level tests includes Russian stroking which my (Russian) coach makes me do every time we have lesson - the only level 10 (or whatever) move I reckon I could perform quite competently already!Don't forget it's also a Level 3 Skating Move, these days, too, only the idea is to hold the inside edge half the length of the rink. My favourite move! And my coach makes me do it with the proper staying down on the run and rising up on the inside edge, as in the Level 10 version.

I've done more difficult elements in competition but the test was far more nerve racking than any competition and I particularly hate the elements test as you are out there alone with no music and only the sound of your skates.Yes; Husband was, I think, rather thrown when he did it, especially when he was asked to repeat his toe-loop. Once he realised what he was being asked, he was fine!

For level 3 it's a figure of 8 crossovers - forwards CCW - backwards CW - backwards CCW - forwards - CW. Sounds easy but the transitions from one direction to the other are pretty tricky and scary at that speed as they are not the way that would come naturally!How is that different from the Level 1 Skating Move? Is there a different transition, or are they just expecting rather more at Level 3? I can't do the back crossover figure 8, alas, although my forward one is fast and low and getting better every day! But we will not discuss my clockwise back crossovers..... or practice them enough, either!

NickiT
03-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't forget it's also a Level 3 Skating Move, these days, too, only the idea is to hold the inside edge half the length of the rink. My favourite move! And my coach makes me do it with the proper staying down on the run and rising up on the inside edge, as in the Level 10 version.

Yes; Husband was, I think, rather thrown when he did it, especially when he was asked to repeat his toe-loop. Once he realised what he was being asked, he was fine!

How is that different from the Level 1 Skating Move? Is there a different transition, or are they just expecting rather more at Level 3? I can't do the back crossover figure 8, alas, although my forward one is fast and low and getting better every day! But we will not discuss my clockwise back crossovers..... or practice them enough, either!

I don't know how the level 1 moves transitions went but one of these is from forward crossovers CCW to back crossovers CW and you do a mohawk left to right. The natural feeling is to go right to left.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't know how the level 1 moves transitions went but one of these is from forward crossovers CCW to back crossovers CW and you do a mohawk left to right. The natural feeling is to go right to left.

Nicki
NASTY! I must try that sometime. I think in the Level 1 moves you just transition between the two circles, and then stop and start again to do them backwards.

frbskate63
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I never had a problem with the mohawk - but stepping forward from the LBI of the last CCW back crossover to an RFO for the CW forwards crossovers used to freak me every time.

Fiona

BatikatII
03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Isn't the level 1 move just a figure of 8 forwards followed by a figure of 8 backwards? If there was any transition then a simple 3 turn would do it. Don't think I ever did this as I did level 1 dance moves.

The hard one asks for a circle of forward crossovers with a smooth transition with no loss of speed or flow to back crossovers for two circles in figure of 8 and then back to the forward crossovers in other direction to finish so you have a forward to backward transition and a backward to forward transition.

Neither of the transitions seemed to be natural ones to me but like Fiona I think I found the backwards to forwards transition harder as you really had to hold that BI edge and transfer your weight precisely, or it could (and often did in my case!) go horribly wrong and you'd end up trying to skate off forwards in a funny direction if you made it that far!:lol:

tidesong
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!