View Full Version : Lessons & Practices: 4/28-5/4

Dustin
04-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Time for a new one everyone!

I will be training really hard this week because I have a competition next week - only one week to get my 2 axel and 3 sal completely consistent. :?

Schmeck
04-28-2002, 04:47 PM
Hey, thanks for starting a new thread, Dustin! Good luck on your jumps, and at the competition!

No ice time for me until May 5th, but we did have our Spring Show last night - I made it through without falling, but did the wimpiest of wimpy waltz jumps (say that 3 times fast :wink: ) and walked through my toes loop :( .

Schmeck

Figureskates
04-29-2002, 05:53 AM
Schmeck, don't feel bad about wimpy waltz jumps...I have had my coach tell me to get at least enough height on the thing so she could slip a sheet of paper under it!!!

Did you have fun at the show?

Figureskates, president of the wussy waltz jump club....

melanieuk
04-29-2002, 06:39 AM
Monday is usually a bad skate day - and today was no exception.
I ran through the field moves. No mishaps there - but I did "miss one out" - the back crossrolls or whatever they are! 8O
I practised parts of the programme in isolation then did it to music. Nothing spectacular there.
The parallel spin is quite good (for me) and the sit spin has lost its way.
I [color=red:8cdd14656c]FELL[/color:8cdd14656c] on the loop-loop. The loop's supposed to be my best jump! :oops: My weight was too far back.
Even the flip was cause for concern today and I didn't make it to the lutz - didn't want to tempt fate there. It's the one jump I haven't "lost" since I got it (as an adult). Touch wood that I haven't just jinxed that! :roll:
The steps are getting there. I have a feeling coach will want to add another back 3 turn though. :cry:
Tomorrow is another day! :D

Dustin
04-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Suprisingly acceptable skte this afternoon after the disastrous morning skate.... and I man BAD! I fell on all 9 jumps in my long :? But this afternoon I almost did a clean long (popped the last flip into a single) and almost a clean short (hand down on 2 axel).

Schmeck
04-30-2002, 06:05 AM
Figureskates, I actually had the best time at the show, even though I was very nervous. My group consisted of 6 wonderful young ladies (ages 8-16, including my 10 yr old daughter Icy) and myself. We skated to Frank Sinatra's "Chicago", wearing black and white skating costumes.

The program was pretty simple, but it had a lot of toepick work, which I hate! Two bunny hops, a ballet jump, a waltz jump and a toe loop, along with a one foot spin, lunge, spiral, and a some cute hand poses made it pretty entertaining. Not sure if I'm going to do this again though - I'm on the Board of Directors and it was double duty for me!

Schmeck

melanieuk
04-30-2002, 07:30 AM
A much better skate day today.
I didn't fall. I fixed the loop-loop.
The flips were better and the lutz was fine. The parallel spin is quite good (and the sit spin is quite bad, regards the flower tracings!)
I spent a lot of time on the steps which I have to go and write down, lest I forget.
:roll:

lisabelle
04-30-2002, 02:51 PM
have a lutz! so now i get to start working on axel, dbl sal, dbl toe. woo hoo.

lutz and flip wonky on monday. oh well. i am a little wonky myself (chronic cough it seems) so what can you expect.

combos are good though, but i hate hate hate the waltz-toe. anything else-toe is great, waltz-loop/half loop is great, but i cannot for the life of me do a waltz-toe. bizarre. i have even managed flip/loop and lutz/loop, but a waltz/toe, nooooo.

loop/loops are stupid and i have not been able to do them but from an inside three turn. will have to work on that.

spins went to heck after i gashed my leg on a scratch spin. maybe i'll have to start wearing shin guards (like for soccer). sit spins were good though! was on the right part of the blade for once, bet that doesn't last. camels stunk and they are my best spin. oh well. yay for my backspin, i managed to cross feet and exit without putting foot down. i think that's a first.

i think we're doing my program on thursday. :)

Dustin
04-30-2002, 05:12 PM
Not the best practice today. I only skated this afternoon, I was spinning good but I couldnt land my 2 axel! I keep forgetting to check my arms on the landing and it is getting extremely frustrating.

lisabelle
05-01-2002, 02:53 PM
dustin, what did you end up doing about your blades?

Dustin
05-01-2002, 05:52 PM
We ground the toe pick down a few milimeters and that helped.

Today I had better practices than in the past - finally a perfectly clean short. I still couldnt land my 2 axel but I am getting closer. :)

lisabelle
05-03-2002, 06:46 PM
that's good, i'm glad it's fixed enough for you to skate. good luck in your competition.

Dustin
05-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Well I am going through the pre-competition-can't-land-anything phase. Hopefully I will be back to normal when I get up to where the competition is going to be and get on the practices. :?