View Full Version : 2008 Hackensack Ice House Adult Camp

Stormy
03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I got an e-mail with the announcement and application today. It'll be June 27 - 29. I had a blast last year, defintiely planning to go again? Who's in??

NoVa Sk8r
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Announcement:
http://icehousenj.com/Docs/AdultCamp2008.pdf

badaxel
03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I've never been, but I'd like to go! Any tips on how to talk hubby into it

Stormy
03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Hmmmm.....female bonding weekend? :halo:

doubletoe
03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Announcement:
http://icehousenj.com/Docs/AdultCamp2008.pdf

Looks just like last year. . . I wonder if Morozov is going to actually give program critiques in the program critique sessions this time, or just give a few vague generalizations to each group (of 4 skaters, not 3), like last year. That was my one beef about the camp last summer.

jazzpants
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Skating star gazing???? Just tell him that you're going to this camp and tell him that you'll be extra nice to him the following week if he lets you go to this camp. :P

My husband knows NOT to plan vacations for ANYWHERE where there isn't an ice rink that we can get to within an hour's commute time. :halo: And when we visit his in-laws, we ALWAYS allow time for at least ONE lesson with my NYC coach, dbny and if possible, a skating meetup!!! Yes, I've trained him well!!! :twisted:

And DRATS!!! I can't go to this either. I have 3 trips to the East planned this year... AN, my SIL's wedding, and the yearly Christmas trip!!! :frus:

doubletoe
03-05-2008, 10:40 PM

I'd tell you, but there might be kids reading, so I'd have to PM you (nudge nudge, wink wink). ;)

Scarlett
03-06-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm on the fence about it this year. I went two years ago and had a wonderful time and went last year and was miserable. I may try it again with the competitive instead of recreational group (even though I am not a "competitive" skater) or I might just stay home and take a bunch of lessons. You guys are good on advice. Any thoughts?

MusicSkateFan
03-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Does it include a cocktail hour? At $300.00 per person I hope it includes at least one decent cocktail hour! LOL

Don't know....gettin sorta $$$$$ IMHO

Skittl1321
03-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm on the fence about it this year. I went two years ago and had a wonderful time and went last year and was miserable. I may try it again with the competitive instead of recreational group (even though I am not a "competitive" skater) or I might just stay home and take a bunch of lessons. You guys are good on advice. Any thoughts?

I've never been, but for the price- staying home and taking multiple lessons a day seems like a pretty good idea. Granted- you don't get the elite skaters to skate with, but the price seems pretty high for the ice time. I don't know where you are located, but it would cost more than the cost of the camp for me to get there. I have relatives in the area, but then factor in a hotel... I could take a lot of lessons at home.

Why was last year miserable? Is the recreational group just not that focused?

badaxel
03-06-2008, 07:27 AM
I'd tell you, but there might be kids reading, so I'd have to PM you (nudge nudge, wink wink). ;)

ROTFLMAO!!!! You're hilarious!:lol: :lol:

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
HA!!!! I was thinking along the same lines that there must be a really good way of convincing him;)

I won't be going this year after all. Too fresh from surgery. Maybe next year (I say this every year don't i?)

Now, if it was in the fall...

Scarlett
03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Last year the recreational group wasn't split into levels at all. It ranged from a woman who was in a helmet to a lady attempting doubles. It was chaos on ice. The positive side is that hearing things from different instructors sometimes just gets that light bulb turned on in your head. I'm leaning towards staying home this year.

FallDownGoBoom
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd be in the recreational group for the third year in a row.

But honestly, some of the people in that group drove me bonkers last year and if they turn up again I'd be really cranky. Three or four women could not stop talking about John Zimmerman. That same bunch cracked wise to Edward Van Campen more or less non-stop. Boo.

Rant over. I should add that I picked up so much knowledge from the coaches and especially from the other attendees -- and got turned on to Pilates as a result of the class with Christine. It was a good girlie weekend.

So that's my unsolicited blah blah blah.

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I can't handle anything intense this year-so I'm taking the adult camp at Frederick, Maryland. Anyone else going?

I'm thinking that it's not as strenuous. I will email the director and find out what's on the agenda. I'm also planning on hitting the mall, so....

jazzpants
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Okay, forward it to me too!!! I want an excuse too!!! :twisted: (PM of course...) ;)

Three or four women could not stop talking about John Zimmerman. And probably NOT about his skating or coaching or his lovely wife either, I'll bet!!! :P (Ahhh... the curse of being a hottie... :lol: )

That same bunch cracked wise to Edward Van Campen more or less non-stop. Boo.Then he's probably doing his job!!! The other way is if he scares the beejeevies outta 'ya!!!

*sigh* Would LOVE to have another lesson with him, but I'm not working on Silver Moves currently and my coaches want me to work on JUMPS and SPINS only for the mean time. (And I can't do CRAP with Silver Moves as of now so I'll probably will be wasting Edward's time!!! :frus:)

When he's off the ice though, he's probably one of the sweetest guy I've ever met (but don't tell him I told 'ya here about that!!!) ;)

Ice T
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I finally went last year after years of dreaming about it. Let me tell you, for what you get, and the caliber of coaches and skaters you get to work with, $300 is a bargain! It was by far the best time I have ever had at a camp, or in skating. If I wasn't spending my money to go to Adult Nationals this year, I would go back to the camp in a heartbeat.

One thing to keep in mind. Some people expect too much from camps, and I have been to a lot of camps. You should go into each session with the goal to just get one or two things out of it that you can write down and take home with you. Don't expect to become an overnight sensation and see incredible changes in your ability. This is skating, afterall, which takes years of hard work. But if you go into it with that goal, I am certain you will walk away at the end of the camp with at least a dozen good things to work on in practice over the months ahead and a boatload of great memories. For me last year, it was exactly the shot in the arm my skating needed and I have been inspired ever since.

It was wonderful to be on the ice with dozens of other adults just like me, in a non-competition setting. I made new friends, met skaters I have been fans of for years, met soon-to-be stars (Adam), and got to skate my program for Morozov and Yagudin. Now that's an amazing opportunity, and I'm still rattling on about it almost a entire year later!

looplover
03-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I really, r e a l l y want to go this year. I've been saying that for 2 years but this may just be the time! Even though I owe taxes this year and am not getting a refund, grr. Where there's a will, there's a way...

Zoomana
03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
It sounds so incredibly cool, but I have a couple of questions for those of you in the know:

1) I am a "recreational" skater in that I don't compete (stage fright times 1,000,000 and I can't do it!), but I have all my jumps through lutz (and an Axel/under-rotated by 1/4 turn) and I can do all the spins. I passed pre-pre moves & free, pre-bronze free (before moves requirement) and failed preliminary moves (only because of nerves/by .1/two judges passed me in a "mock test" before the "real" test/and one wonderfully kind judge tweaked my scores to pass me/the other two failed me). I also do dance (very low level) with my husband. Would I be miserable in the "recreational" program or out of place in the "competitive" program?

2) The hotel seems wonderful and it's a great rate. But is there anyplace else to stay nearby and reasonable? Reason for asking: I want to bring my rabbits along, and the hotel says no pets allowed. I do not leave my rabbits alone for more than one day - they even went on my honeymoon with my husband I me (talk about having trouble finding rooms/but we did). On the other hand, if I went alone and left poor hubby home, is everything accessible by public transportation (i.e., hotel to rink)?

slusher
03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
, and got to skate my program for Morozov and Yagudin. Now that's an amazing opportunity, and I'm still rattling on about it almost a entire year later!

Yagudin? eh, I'd be one of those slobbering women.

When I look at the program critique session, he looks at three skaters in that 45 minutes? It's kinda pricey. I don't know what my own choreographer would think of someone else critiquing her programs.

cecealias
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
1) I am a "recreational" skater in that I don't compete ....

Me too i'm also "rec" in that i've never competed but technically I just wonder since I've been told by coaches I am technically more advanced than many of the adult competitive skaters at our rink. I"m about to test out of Novice moves (hope soon, if i don't have to travel again) and I'm working 3 of my doubles, plus axel. should i go competitive track or rec?

I'm not sure about handling 4 sessions of ice a day.... 2 is plenty and 3 is like, intense... but i don't really break much or talk when i'm on the ice - i'm constantly skating and moving when i train soo....?

Any excuse to be near NYC would be great... do any you folks go out on the town in NYC before/after camp? Would be nice to

RoaringSkates
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I'll probably go. I've been the past two years, and for dance, but I'm always one of the least skilled dancers in that group. Everyone else has been dancing for 100 years, and there I am, working the Hickory Hoedown and not even knowing what a rocker is. This year, I'm thinking I might do freestyle instead. The issue, of course, is that I neither jump nor spin. :lol:

CanadianAdult
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking of doing this because I'd like to try something different. I'd do the competitive freeskate track because I go to competitions but am at the bottom of skill level despite the fact that I've apparently passed tests. ;) I'm slightly 8O at the four ice sessions a day, it would be a great achievement if I could skate four sessions in a week!, however, I could demonstrate my great ability to hold up the boards and chat if anyone asks.

Anyway, some small town hick Canuck questions: Do most people stay in the host hotel and do things in the evenings together (like moan about our aching muscles) so that there is a social component, and secondly, (really rural question) what's the chances of my car getting stolen in that area?

I'd like to go shopping in NYC the day after, apparently you just hop on a train from New Jersey?

kander
04-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Me too i'm also "rec" in that i've never competed but technically I just wonder since I've been told by coaches I am technically more advanced than many of the adult competitive skaters at our rink.

I've seen you skate and I would agree with your coaches. Your fundamentals are very good. You could start at Gold ladies if you have an axel.

I'm not sure about handling 4 sessions of ice a day.... 2 is plenty and 3 is like, intense... but i don't really break much or talk when i'm on the ice - i'm constantly skating and moving when i train soo....?

I agree that 4 sessions a day is insane (assuming you fully skate each one). I don't think I could even do 2 sessions in a day.

Does Lake Arrowhead still have an adult camp? That's the one I've always wanted to go to. The location and the rink are incredibly beautiful

Kevin

smelltheice
04-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Just drop a few hints as to all the great guys and good looking trainers that will be there, and the fact that you are going with or without him and then you won't be able to stop him going with you

manduh
04-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I wish I was old enough to go :(

Ice T
04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't worry about the 4 sessions on the ice. It's not like practice at home where you are constantly skating for 45 minutes or more. You will warm up, then the coach talks, then you try what they ask, then he talks some more, then you might go one at a time to try it for the coach. And if you get tired, you can excuse yourself from the class or just watch from off the ice. To me, it was not the skating that wore me out last year, but the go, go, go to each thing all day long. But it was a wonderful kind of tired and I loved it. Plus, there was one scheduled break time each day and that helped.

Regarding the social side, we all ate lunch together (do the buffet -- it's the easiest way) in the cafeteria/snack bar and I really enjoyed that social time. At the end of the day, you might get together with a few of the other skaters and go out to dinner. But believe me, you will want to quickly get back to the hotel to rest up for the next day!

cecealias
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I've seen you skate and I would agree with your coaches. Your fundamentals are very good.

Kevin you are so kind. Thanks for the support :)

RoaringSkates
04-14-2008, 12:05 PM
...Anyway, some small town hick Canuck questions: Do most people stay in the host hotel and do things in the evenings together (like moan about our aching muscles) so that there is a social component, and secondly, (really rural question) what's the chances of my car getting stolen in that area?

I'd like to go shopping in NYC the day after, apparently you just hop on a train from New Jersey?

It does seem that most people from outside the area - and there are a lot of them - stay in the host hotel. They'd told me the hotel is fine.

I've never had a problem with my car at that rink, and I go there at least once per month. No one told me they had problems with their cars at the hotel, so I think you're all right.

I remember some people arranged to go out to NYC the night before the camp - the Friday night. But that was arranged via message boards and etc., or once people met up at the hotel. The Saturday night, there were various dinners happening, but those were all in or near Hackensack - I think most people were pretty tired. Some people did stay the extra day - some stayed even longer, and played in the city. I bet you could hook up with people if you wanted to do a group shopping trip.

And actually, my friends from Canada LOVE shopping in, of all places, New Jersey. The tax rate here is very low compared to Canada, and they always go back home with bags and bags and bags of stuff. NJ is a shopping mecca, especially for mall-type and big-store type items. NYC is great for more off the beaten track items.

There is no train from the rink to NYC, but I believe there is a bus from the hotel to the train station, if memory serves. And the city is not at all far from Hackensack. Maybe 15 minutes? Others can talk more to that point, and I'm sure the hotel can tell you how best to get in town.

In my opinion, if you can do it, a trip into NYC is a must-do. I mean, you come all the way to New Jersey - what's fifteen more minutes drive?

RoaringSkates
04-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Don't worry about the 4 sessions on the ice. It's not like practice at home where you are constantly skating for 45 minutes or more. You will warm up, then the coach talks, then you try what they ask, then he talks some more, then you might go one at a time to try it for the coach. And if you get tired, you can excuse yourself from the class or just watch from off the ice. To me, it was not the skating that wore me out last year, but the go, go, go to each thing all day long. But it was a wonderful kind of tired and I loved it. Plus, there was one scheduled break time each day and that helped...

I agree. You can also pace yourself, even in the classes, but pushing harder or less hard, as you need to. There were even some people who'd simply step off the ice for a while during a class, or else skip one particular class so they could rest. Entirely up to you.

stacyf419
04-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I wish I was old enough to go :(

I wish I was young enough to say that!! :lol:

CanadianAdult
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks so much. I've only been to New York once and flew in and out but this time I'm going to drive.

Do people drive into Manhattan? Isn't the cost of parking astronomical?

The camp happens on the weekend before our Canada Day, so we have Tuesday as a holiday and time to do some fun things. If I can still walk afterwards!

I'm looking forward to meeting other adult skaters most of all.

Some people did stay the extra day - some stayed even longer, and played in the city.

snip

In my opinion, if you can do it, a trip into NYC is a must-do. I mean, you come all the way to New Jersey - what's fifteen more minutes drive?

looplover
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a phone interview tomorrow for a job in NJ - I may actually be living there again at that time (not sure how I feel about that, actually) - anyway, the odds are good that I'm going! I might as well spend my money on skating since housing costs are astronomical in NJ and I'll rent forever 8O:roll::??

Skittl1321
04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks so much. I've only been to New York once and flew in and out but this time I'm going to drive.

Do people drive into Manhattan? Isn't the cost of parking astronomical?

I've never done this camp, but have driven into Manhattan. The cost of parking is VERY high- but we drive in and park everytime. It's only prohibitive if you have to do it all the time. For a day visit, I think it's worth the convience to just drive in. (And sometimes you get lucky and get a street spot just off 5th and can avoid expensive garages)

looplover
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
You know, there's actually a NJ transit bus that I believe is within walking distance of Ice House that'll take you to the GW Bridge bus station, and from there you can take the subway anywhere. It's the 182 bus and I haven't tried it, but it appears to be walkable from the rink and maybe from local hotels:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0182.pdf

I drove in last November and found a free street spot near Wollman Rink, but I had to circle around for a long time.

CanadianAdult
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm going for sure, they've cashed my application. Now I'm saving up my US $$$ for shopping! It's only one month away.

indianajane
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Can anyone who has attended help me? I decided to go & have registered. I am uh.....30 uh...ish. I have skated for almost 3 years (anniv. is Mid-June)
I took Silver Moves 2 weeks ago, but failed by 3/10 of a point from one judge, 4/10 of a point from another. Certain parts passed. I thought the camp would help me improve those last little things?
My coach is preparing a Silver "testing" FS program to bring to the camp, which I hope to make harder later. I am not working on any jumps except perfecting singles (axle prep to begin in July or so). I signed up for competitive.
Does anyone have any advice on how the levels work? What can I expect? Thank you

PS - figured NJ/NY a waste without shopping...spending 2 nights at Waldorf Astoria NYC after camp. They give USFSA discount!! Can't wait for the shopping, even if camp is less than successful.

patatty
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
I signed up to go this year. I'm so excited. I have wanted to go for a few years now, and never could work out the scheduling with my family. I'm doing the competitive singles track. It will be interesting working with other coaches, since I have only had lessons with my one coach since I started skating.

Is the rink really cold? I'm trying to figure out what to bring. I just booked my hotel room, and the block of rooms is reserved under USFS adult camp, not Ice House. The reservationist couldn't find the reservation for a while, and the hotel is sold out otherwise. I'm not sure whether I'm more excited about skating or having a giant King room all to myself for a night!

RoaringSkates
05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
...Is the rink really cold? I'm trying to figure out what to bring... I'm not sure whether I'm more excited about skating or having a giant King room all to myself for a night!

One nice thing about the huge hotel beds: I spread out all over them when I sleep. Half the time, I wake up having slept diagonally across the mattress.

The rink is kind of cold, but I've been in colder indoor ice rinks. You also, as is typical for lessons, spend some time standing, then doing; standing, then doing, so sometimes, you do get cold. Bring an extra hoodie or something like that, which you can take off if you get warm.

I've not signed up yet, only because I'm still back and forth if I should do dance or singles. I'll probably do dance. But I will be signing up, that's for sure. It's fun.

skatingatty
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not going again this year, but I had a fairly good time at the camp last year. It was definitely exhausting, and the drive up on a Friday afternoon-evening was terrible (first I drove from NC to DC, and then carpooled up to NJ with a friend). I wrote about it at www.voiceless.com/skating & it's under the July 2007 category. Highlights of the camp were getting to see some skating stars, like Daisuke Takahashi, Miki Ando, & Ryan Bradley, in practice. Also, the official hotel was terrific. They had the absolute best beds.

soniaissuper
06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll be heading out to Hackensack from Texas for the second straight year. I remember hearing a lot of complaints last year but I honestly had a terrific time. I was on the beginner/recreational side and people were so encouraging. I nearly bailed after the first class but I am glad that I stuck it out and had a great weekend and met some really fantastic/talented people.

As long as people don't laugh at me but with me we should all have a great time!

stacyf419
06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I will be there as well for the competitive singles track. I had a good time at recreational track last year, but am looking forward to being pushed a bit harder this year.

Skittl1321
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Please post reports of how it went. I WISH I could do something like this- so I'm living vicariously through you all.

RoaringSkates
06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I did sign up for the dance track, in the end, although I almost did recreational singles. I was wary about signing up for dance again, because last year I was absolutely the least skilled in that class, so Igor would be having everyone go off to do some mohawk pattern with a strange mohawk, or a rocker pattern, and I'd be, like, "Crap!" because I don't know more than the basic mohawk (and that only in one direction) have never done a rocker, wouldn't know a counter from a bracket, etc. And when he'd ask what dance we should be working on, and everyone was, like, Silver Samba! I'm cringing and wishing for the Dutch Waltz. :LOL:

If there's one flaw to this camp, it is that, although they say they welcome low level skaters, the classes aren't divided up in such a way that the lower level skaters get as much from them as the upper level skaters do. I know some people had that issue with the singles track as well. It'd help if they divided the sessions up more, focusing more on the various levels of skaters, rather than lumping us all in together, as they do with the dance, or in too broad a group, as some said they do in singles.

But with all that said, in reality, the camp is a blast. I do get a lot out of it - just not as much as the higher level skaters do. But certainly enough that I signed up to do it again. I certainly consider it worth the time and money.

doubletoe
06-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Is the rink really cold? I'm trying to figure out what to bring.

For some sessions, you'll be kept moving the whole time so you'll get warm (Morozov's music interpretation class comes to mind). For others, you'll be standing around more, so you'll want to bundle up. I was literally shivering in the Moves-in-the-field class because there was so much standing around and talking, and much less actual skating! :roll: I think it's a function of each coach's teaching style more than the discipline or subject matter of the class.

sexyskates
06-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm deciding at the last moment to go. Who do I write this check out to?

renatele
06-08-2008, 08:21 AM
BTW they have extended the deadline to sign-up till June 14th (got an e-mail today).

sexyskates
06-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Oh good! I trotted my application to the Post Office last night (June 7th), but of course missed that precious postmark!

Isk8NYC
06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I've found that a number of clinics, seminars, and conferences extend their deadlines. I moved and missed a conference "early bird" deadline. When I explained what happened two weeks after the deadline, the organization person authorized the early bird pricing.

If you're ever late getting something in the mail, just call and ask if it's okay. They often get cancellations and such at the last minute, so they don't mind filling a seat with a latecomer.

Note: This doesn't work for tests, competitions or shows.
Although some Clubs will allow it for a late fee ($$$).

RoaringSkates
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Last year I passed my application in late, but I called first. They had no problem with me being late, so if you're late, and still thinking of going, send it in. As others said, they've moved the postmark date, anyway, so you're good.