View Full Version : beginner pair lifts

peanutskates
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
-background info- I go swimming at our school pool in the morning with one of my friends. And lately, having been inspired by Dancing on Ice, we've been trying to do some pair lifts (the spins didn't really work out in the pool...). But DoI is too advanced for us now, and we can't get any inspiration from there, everything is too hard!!

So, can you guys post any pictures of EASY lifts that we can try? This is just for fun obviously.... but we want to get good and try some on the field (LOL) in the summer. Anyway, my point is: please post pics of beginner lifts we can try. thanks.

flo
03-04-2008, 02:03 PM
A pool is a good place to practice. Start with those close to your body and low - like the stag lifts and other dance lifts. I'll look for pictures.

Helen88
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Wow that sounds like such a fun idea! :D

FSWer
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
LOL,ok. I'mconfused about what I read. Could some please explain how and what makes Pair Skating lifts compatible (sorry if I spelled that wrong) in a pool?

Clarice
03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
If you practice lifts in a pool, the water helps support the weight of the person being lifted if you're in deep enough. And if you fall, nobody gets hurt - you just splash! It's like doing off-ice practice, except in water.

FSWer
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
If you practice lifts in a pool, the water helps support the weight of the person being lifted if you're in deep enough. And if you fall, nobody gets hurt - you just splash! It's like doing off-ice practice, except in water.

Aren't your hands to wet and slippery?

Clarice
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Well, yeah, maybe. But it's just for fun, really, not serious training. Falling and splashing would be part of the fun.

flo
03-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Yup - very slippery. We've practiced throw axels into the pool as well.

lovepairs
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Check out the flick "Dirty Dancing." There is a scene where Patrick Swazye (sp?) repeatedly does a Platter Lift with Jennifer Grey in a lake. So, we tried it in a pool, too. It doesn't quite mimic what happens on the floor, but it is a lot of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C0-I_vDc34&feature=related

FSWer
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
LOL,I should think that if you practice Pairs in the Pool...LOL,you better know how to swim. LOL,right?

flo
03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Right! It's a nice change from the floor.

peanutskates
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
the platter lift is the only one we can barely do LOL. we call it "the dirty dancing lift".

thanks everyone... keep the suggestions coming!!

FSWer
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
the platter lift is the only one we can barely do LOL. we call it "the dirty dancing lift".

thanks everyone... keep the suggestions coming!!

Sounds like you lie horisontally flat on that one. From the name. Am I right?

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2008, 01:17 PM
You do; my coach was explaining the basic pairs lifts to the newest adult team (who also do ice dance) yesterday, and they were practising off-ice, too. There is one where she faces him, and presses on his hands, and he lifts her as high as possible. It is not always a good look when her legs start at around his eye-level, and I won't repeat the rather rude name at least one skater I know calls it - there may be children reading this!