View Full Version : A new explanation for skating addiction!

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
One young skater who had re-injured herself at competition yesterday and had been more-or-less told not to come in, nevertheless appeared in time for her lesson as usual. "Quite mad, we skaters!" I said, and another adult skater listening agreed with me.

"It's the chemicals in the ice!" explained the young skater. "And when you fall over, they penetrate your skin, so it makes it even worse!"

smelltheice
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
It is the same for people with horses. I think that without exception, every horse person that I know (and that is alot) that has gotten injured will utter the words "but who's going to do the horses?" before they reach the ambulance!!!

sk8_4fun
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
lol! I noticed some time ago that I behave differently on the ice than I do as a 'pedestrian' and now I have an explanation! Thanks for that!:D

and I agree with the horses thing too, my sister is just like that.........8O

Sessy
03-05-2008, 04:50 AM
I think it's the pain. I'm an in-the-closet masochist! :twisted:

icedancer2
03-05-2008, 10:44 AM
I think it's the flow - but I also think that the flow releases endorphins, which are essentially chemicals, so that could be it!!!:lol:

MusicSkateFan
03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
How true, Smelltheice........ Wouldn't you know.......I was involved with showing and training horses as a kid and skating as an adult. Both are very time consuming and require daily work. Easy to be an addict on both of them!

johns135
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
For me, it is all the ladies I'm chasing. I haven't caught any, so far, but
I've been at it .. maybe 60 years now. You'd think they'd take pity and
slow down a bit, but no way.

johns

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2008, 12:55 PM
It is the same for people with horses. I think that without exception, every horse person that I know (and that is alot) that has gotten injured will utter the words "but who's going to do the horses?" before they reach the ambulance!!!
Yes, but you have to when it's animals. I mean, they can't get their own supper, or muck out their own stalls....

Award
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
The addiction comes from various things. First, skating can be a lot of fun once you've learned the first important step of propelling yourself around the ice under your own steam. And then there are the challenges of learning many other new skills - that require your body and mind to get used to things that at first seemed extremely awkward, un-do-able, and unintuitive. The interesting new experiences can be quite fascinating. There are certain degrees of freedom involved in ice skating that can't be matched with other hobbies. A ice environment that keeps the excitement of winter all year around, which some of us will like a lot. The opportunities to meet nice people at the rink. Some of us like to show off the skills that we've learned and had put work into, and get some satisfaction when others admire those interesting skills that we've acquired. A big addictive thing is that some skills can challenge you so much that you feel compelled to keep working towards acquiring the skill (and new ones), that it can be very occupying (and fun at the same time). To finally succeed in performing the skill that you wanted to perform (whether you mastered it or not) can be very satisfying....so it can be an addiction to expand the repertoire of skating skills (the more the better and more satisfying!). Some skills can be adrenalin-rushing, exciting/thrilling to perform, which can be addictive. And when you include the relaxing nature and the very dynamic sides of this sport/skill, plus music, ice skating can be extremely addictive.

jazzpants
03-06-2008, 08:14 PM
One young skater who had re-injured herself at competition yesterday and had been more-or-less told not to come in, nevertheless appeared in time for her lesson as usual. "Quite mad, we skaters!" I said, and another adult skater listening agreed with me.

"It's the chemicals in the ice!" explained the young skater. "And when you fall over, they penetrate your skin, so it makes it even worse!"

I *KNEW* there was somethin' funny smellin' about that stuff in the Zamboni or Olympia that they spray into the ice when they are resurfacing... :twisted: :P :lol:

SynchroSk8r114
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I *KNEW* there was somethin' funny smellin' about that stuff in the Zamboni or Olympia that they spray into the ice when they are resurfacing... :twisted: :P :lol:

You know you're a figure skater when the chemical smell of the zamboni is almost...well, comforting. Non-skaters always think I'm strange when I tell them that I actually like the smell of the zamboni fumes, but I agree: it's an addiction, LOL! I know it can be good for you, but like many other addicitions, we still enjoy it. ;)

peanutskates
03-07-2008, 04:55 AM
I don't know if it's the zam fumes, but my rink smells... and I don't really like it. i don't know how to describe the smell, it's just 'rink-y' so I guess it must be the zam. ew. (i don't feel it when i'm on the ice though, just when i come in)