View Full Version : Skating mothers or mothers who skate: 2-8 March 2008

Mrs Redboots
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Since today is Mothering Sunday and (in the UK) Mothers' Day! The Skating Mothers are the type (unknown on these boards, of course!) that we all moan about....

Skating Mothers: Coach2 not happy with our step sequence, especially not the bit I've spent the last month working to perfect!

Mothers Who Skate: We did a not-bad Swing Dance and felt-pretty-good Rhythm Blues when relevant music came on. I think we are finally learning how to get down in the knees and push into the restart on that dance - I know we used never to and would get slower and slower. But we probably lean forward, which is a criticism we had of our free dance - we do tend to when we are trying to gain speed. SIGH.

Helen88
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Mothers Who Skate:

Ran through all the elements 'test-style' today [NISA Level 1 MIF]. Most went pretty well...
Edges - Felt a little odd today, and apparently my hip position is off, so I need to work on that. I'm blaming my freshly sharpened blades for the shakyness however - I'd got used to them really blunt.

Spirals - Felt better on my right foot today, about the same as usual on my left [my better foot].

Crossovers - Apparently I can do a two foot turn when I'm changing to backwards, so I can stop fretting about doing a mohawk with my ever-closed hips at speed.

Skating Mothers:
Landing Positions - CW were okay - CCW were appauling!! Couldn't open my glued-closed hips (as per usual), and I was travelling pretty much in a straight line rather than round the circle.

Mothers Who Skate...
Coach is gonna see next week if I could do my test this time around...

Falling Over:
On March 17th! Although I think the next date is more likely tbh.

Kim to the Max
03-03-2008, 12:00 AM
[Mothers who Skate]
Jumps were nice and high today, lutz included (although, I have a sinking feeling that I might be flutzing :( ) Spins were also quite good...

For Wednesday, a friend is going to keep me accountable and is going to make me do my program :) Which will be nice because Wednesday is normally a day I tend to goof off... Gotta' get working hard for my test session on the 16th...coach is going to be not so happy with me if I don't pass...

Moves felt good today (minus screwing up my knee again)...CW back power 3s had a pointed toe and while they were a little slow, they felt better. Brackets were okay...not the best, but coach and I both know that that is not my strongest move...considering the fact that I whine and complain about how much I hate them :roll:

[Skating Mothers]
Banged my knee again...same one as last time...fell forward doing power circles and fell straight on my knee/dove...ugh...I blame the fact that I was going fast, probably leaning too far forward, and the ice was cruddy...

No one was in the music room today, so I didn't play my music. Had the 3rd session of the night all to myself, but got off 10 minutes early because I wasn't being productive and my knee was killing me...plus, I feel bad because if someone is on the ice, a board member needs to be there....and if it's just me, I don't want to be a waste of their time...

looplover
03-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Skating Mothers: I didn't really feel like skating yesterday so when the session got crowded I left, but I really should have stayed. Trying not to look down so much and public sessions only reinforce that though.

No flips in practice today (tried one, was looking down to avoid a child sliding by on her knees ... gave up)

Same 2-rev camel.

Mothers who Skate: Once I did a forward scratch on the outside edge by accident so today I tried a change of edge scratch spin and did it. That was just for the heck of it. Had a good sit spin today and one not so good. Loops felt airy, this is a new development :D Practiced triple 3 turns. Can't do them on an axis though.

Clare
03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Snuck in one final skate on this mornings public session which was a nice bonus since I thought I wouldn't have time to skate again before I leave for Australia. Anyway, was very aware that the day before I fly would be a bad time to break a limb (not that there is a good time...) so used that as a nice excuse to avoid anything that scares me :)

Skating Mothers:
-Muddled the steps to the Rhythm Blues on the first attempt then bailed out of the closed chasses on the second...

Mothers Who Skate:
-Numerous run throughs of the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango and Golden Skaters Waltz worked up a good sweat and felt good although the GSW wide step is still nowhere near wide enough.
-Did a heap of forward runs on a circle, over and over until they even felt fairly decent CW.

jskater49
03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Skating Mother - played the music we are doing the Swing to in our show and I coudln't pull off a mohawk and realized I need to practice to the music more because I was too slow, although I pulled myself up to speed by the third pattern

Mother who Skates without much energy - Again bad weather, icy roads and I had a 4 hour bad weather drive last night so I did not want to drive to rink this am much less skate - but dd needs to have her second show solo choreographed before coach has baby. Worked on moves and feel like I deserve some credit just for going out there. Also managed to last through power class.

j

Morgail
03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Skating Mother:
-Fell on two sit-change-sits...am blaming it on the ice.
-CW forward power circles are slow and they scare me. I am resolving to do two of those for every one of the CCWs I do.
-Back camels are sooo sloooooow (but I do think I'm getting a better position on them).

Mothers who Skate:
-Did 15 billion zillion camels. I think some of them were good:)
-Did a couple of really good, fast sit-change-sits.
-Ran through program once and then worked on it in pieces.
-Am starting to get the hang of back to forward double 3s.
-Jumps were good. The weird jump issues I had last week have disappeared:D
-It was warm outside yesterday. I love skating when it's warm.

Kim to the Max
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Skating Mother:
-CW forward power circles are slow and they scare me. I am resolving to do two of those for every one of the CCWs I do.

Sounds like a good plan :) Starting slow is natural until you get used to them. Eventually they will start going faster and with more power...

Terri C
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Skating Mothers:
The salchow is acting up...AGAIN.... with a few days to go before Easterns!
Sitspin was off when doing my Bronze CM program.

Mothers Who Skate:
Had a extra lesson with Secondary Coach to prepare for Easterns and had a very strong first half of my freeskating program, with a sitspin that managed to behave!! Still feel ready to compete despite the little bugs here and there.
Also played a CD that I burned myself of music for practice, with music from Timbaland to the Eagles. Coaches were very appreciative of my alternative to the screaming meemmee, animal mating music that the teenagers tend to play!

Muskoka Skater
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Mothers who skate:
my jumps were awesome
my spins rock
my solo is brilliant

Skating Mothers:
nothing

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Mothers who skate:

The ice was superb this morning! Absolute glass, best it's been for ages.
Got some more choreography done in our free dance.

Skating mothers:

Have changed the choreography at the beginning of the step sequence so we are now doing the steps in hold. This is Not Good - or not yet, anyway, as Husband can't remember what he's supposed to do, and I can't do it with him hanging on me. But it will come!

coskater64
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Got going on Gold moves, power circles look good, forward double 3's are nice, strangely enough back inside double 3's are better than outside, there is a head issue on the outside. Love the slide chasse pattern working on keeping arms below waist the entire pattern and making sure foot slides forward not kicks, no widestepping either. Brackets are good last set LFI to RBO are most difficult but getting better.

Figures are doing well centers are being measure in inches instead of feet on the counters. Paragraphs I can actually make it all the way around and loops are loopy, still about 4" off direct center but shape of loop is good and circle size is correct.

Spinning is a slow process backspins/back camels are great forward camel only works from double 3 turn all other forwards spins are okay, but not great.

Starting exercise for Jr moves and Sr moves but still not enough quickness for quick rockers, inside edges for choctaws are appearing slowly.

So tired from all that....dances okay.:bow:

Scarlett
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Mothers who skate:

Skated an empty freestyle session (just me and coach) this morning just after a zam. The ice was wonderful.
Most things felt good today.
Discussed music choices.

Skating mothers:
I can't center a scratch spin if my life depended on it. We won't even go into my sit spin attempts.

Rusty Blades
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Hot-Shot Moms on Skates: (LOL! Sorry for twisting your title!) The inner ear infection continues to drain my energy but I HAD to skate today to test my revised Freeskate choreography, a revision that I hoped would fix my jump problem temporarily - IT DID! My not-happening jumps will be BIG with a little practice.

I like the new choreography - easier to remember, better ice coverage, and adds a few extra elements.

Skating Mothers: The Interpretive program continues to languish while I have been fighting with the Free, but I am not worried about the Interp - I could ad-lib it in competition if I have to.

Bxxch By The Boards: I am SICK of being SICK! This is day #5 and I am getting cranky and miserable 8O (honest, it is NOT my natural state!) Go see the Doc this afternoon and hopefully the antibiotics will give me my energy back so I can try the revised program to the music Thursday. Only 2.5 skating weeks to Nationals - I don't have TIME to be sick :frus:

singerskates
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Not So Hot Shot Mom on Skates: Back to basics as I just bought new Jackson Elite Plus boots and have to get them broken in. So far I only had two days on the ice with them. The first day I was in them, I have to laugh about because it was so sad because the boots were so rock hard I couldn't bend at all. I litterily looked like a new learn to skate skater but thankfully, that was on the Saturday CanSkate session on which I Program Assist. But the good news is that after having a certain spot punched out, I was able to skate with only the normal pain of breaking in boots pain on my second time out. At the start of that session, I just worked on stroking forwards and backwards. But with about 20 minutes left I started working on getting some jumps going. The waltz jump was popping up easily even though I didn't get all that much knee bend before taking off. My toe loop is now fixed and I'm again picking in properly. What a difference a decent pair of boots make! Just have to keep braking in my Jacksons more. Hopefully these boots will be broken in enough by next week to just concentrate on my loop, flip, lutz and maybe I'll get my backspin back so that I can put it on the back end of my forward scratch spin. Talking about spinning in these boots, the spins are very centered and practically start right from the three turn. That should be worth something GOE wise at Adult Canadians.

FlyAndCrash
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Mothers who skate: An overall good skate yesterday.
- I landed my axel (after it was on vacation for three weeks... :frus: GRRR!! :frus: ) multiple times.
- My flying camel is actually flying now and not splatting. :lol:
- Moves are actually moving along nicely... in the right direction. 4/6 of my pre-juv moves are test/near test quality. :lol:
- My back-sit is low enough to pass!!! Yeah parallel. :lol:

Skating Moms:
- I need to decide if I want to buy or re-use a dress for my ice show next month.
- Power pulls sucked, as always. I can do them separate, but if I even get near the moves pattern, all goes down the drain. :frus: :frus: :frus: .
- Double salchow decided to take a vacation. :??

p.s. I LOVE SMILIES!!!

jazzpants
03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Mothers Who Skate:
Okay, so I landed a few loop, loop-loops and flips again....

Skating Mothers:
... for the first few minutes... then my jumps all went to HADES and nothing was landed clean afterwards (except for the loop, ironically... :?? ) I didn't try a lutz either.

Mothers Who Skate:
So I went back onto spins and footwork. The footwork could be better but it's pretty decent for its purpose... And as for spins, I'd remembered to "let the edge do the work for me" and did a pretty decent (for me anyway) back-sit and camel.

Skating Mothers:
Of course, I then said "Why not?" and tried for a camel-sit again and couldn't quite get enough speed or momentum on the camel to go into the sit. :giveup:

Mothers Who Skate:
Of course I only tried it b/c I managed to do the camel to sit position on the Reeboks core training board thingie (http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_3557_A_CategoryID_E_331) with no problem this past Saturday!!!

Terri C
03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Hot Shot Skating Mama:
Had good runthroughs of both Bronze CM and Pre Bronze freeskating programs during another lesson with Secondary Coach today. She commented that this was the most prepared she has seen me for a competition in the three years she has coached me. Thing is, this week marks three years that I've been working with her.

Skating Mothers:
Can it be Friday morning already?

badaxel
03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Mothers who Skate:
-actually did two axels in the program for the 2nd time!!!
-actually ending with the music, thanks to slowing the music down so that it's really 2:10 and not 2:04
-layback seems mostly stable
-flying camel has great potential
-getting through the program without dying
-really SKATING my program, to the music and everything!
-being close to Easterns allows all of my friends and family to come and watch!

Skating Mothers:
-Pre-Easterns STRESS!!!!
-had to take out the camel from the camel-sit-back sit- variation combo spin
-being close to Easterns allows all of my friends and family to come and watch

tidesong
03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Way to go badaxel! How many more days till competition?

momsk8er
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Mothers who Skate - just the title of the thread. Thanks for this, sorry it took me so long to say it. I've been thinking it for two days, though, if that counts. It is so validating to have a group of skaters recognize mothers who skate as a good thing. I have times when I think I'm just trying to regain my childhood, or that I delusionally believe I'm really still a teen. And I think most of the mothers who don't skate at our rink sort of think I'm crazy and sad for being out there with their daughters. (Or maybe that's just my insecurity talking). So you folks are just terrific - it's super to log onto the site and see the name of this thread.

Thanks, you made my week!

Kim to the Max
03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
[Skating Mothers]

Ugh!! I hate it when there are 21 people on the ice, plus 7-8 coaches all giving lessons :frus: :twisted: Tonight was one of those nights and I was so frustrated...I could hardly get anything in...went to do my program for the first time and didn't get to do my lutz because a coach was right there and when I said, "watch out" didn't move, footwork wasn't happening because of the number of little kids...and it was all little kids and only 6 of us were big "kids" ...I even switched to moves early and had issues with that too....Luckily, the crowd thinned out for the 2nd session...and luckily I am skating on campus tomorrow on a session that is pretty empty and a friend is going to hold me accountable for doing my program :) as long as I make her work on her jumps (up to double axel).

Other than that...it was all

[Mothers who Skate]
The second time I did my program, all was good. Flubbed up the camel spin, but did it right after the music went off and did it fine. Jumps were huge, even the lutz, although, I am getting further and further into the corner with my lutz so I need to work on moving it out a bit so that I don't eventually hit the wall...:roll: Hopefully, my program will be there on Friday when I have a lesson with coach...and coach is going to add more arms and stuff on Friday...

Moves were okay once I could get them in...brackets still were in the gutter, but at least they were a little better...and they were even better when coach gently reminded me to make them bigger :) CW Power 3s had a nice pointed toe most of the time, however, I need to take a look at the edge after the first one because I keep getting awfully close to the wall for my 2nd one. Didn't torture anyone with the metronome today, but that is on the agenda for tomorrow... but, I did scare the bejeebers out of two friends because I was coming straight at them as I was doing my back power circles and I yelled as I came by them (I was heading right between them)...luckily neither of them moved otherwise that would have been really bad....

Emberchyld
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I know that I've been MIA for the past two months (sorry about the PMs! I will get to them soon), but I've been travelling for work practically non-stop since November, and all of my weekend time was taken up by skating and running errands.

But I have a big
Skating Mother: Just pulled out of Eastern Sectionals. Last Thursday, I was in ballet class on pointe when I felt a pop/twinge right behind my achilles (that had been ruptured and repaired 2.5 years ago and that was finally starting to gain enough decent strength so as to not hold me back as much on my toe loops and CCW spins). Now I'm presenting a whole bunch of symptoms that could point to anything from achilles tendonitis (best case) to having partially reruptured that tendon (worst case). I'm seeing my surgeon on Thursday, but, reguardless, that skating this weekend is most definitely out. Tried to get on the ice on Saturday and I couldn't even 3-turn!:giveup:

on a Mothers who Skate note, though, it was really nice when my coach called me this morning to tell me that people were asking about me at the rink and everyone sent their best wishes when she told them about my leg. It's nice to have a skating family! Plus, if this isn't a worst case injury, it simply means that I have time to improve my skating before the next competition. And if it is worst case, I'll have lots of free time to really focus on helping get our club active and vibrant.

Rusty Blades
03-05-2008, 05:52 AM
... keeping EVERYTHING crossed for you Ember, hoping for the best possible outcome!

Mothers who Skate: (I think.) Started antibiotics for the ear infections yesterday. If they work as fast as last time, I should be back on the ice tomorrow - which I NEED since I only have TWO skating weeks until Nationals and my Free program is NOT polished! 8O

badaxel
03-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Way to go badaxel! How many more days till competition?

Thanks! How many days? Umm... not enough and yet too many!!!! Only 4!!
Remind me again how this is FUN????:o :o

Skittl1321
03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
First off- on Sunday when I saw this thread I freaked out thinking I missed Mother's Day. Dh thought I was crazy, as it's in May here.

Mothers who skate Fantastic fantastic lesson yesterday. In group lesson we worked on spins- and I actually did 2 nice combo spins (3 fwd, 3 bwd, 3 fwd) enough that the instructor came over and asked why I wasn't crossing my feet. I don't cross because usually they are rubbish- they were rubbish for the rest of the night after that.

Then I did some work on camels, which are laughable and always seem to end up with me sitting on the ice, while the other high level in the class did sit spins. I later worked with my coach and he said my problem with the camel is solely that I don't have my body weight over my spinning foot, and everything else is more or less where it should be.

Then we did 8 step mohawk, which is a million times better than 5 step mohawk. Possibly just because I can practice just my good side if I want. So yeah- not actually better, but we only did one side last night and that was fantastic and fast, and only one almost scary fall, that I caught myself from.

Then in private lesson I learned my program (to "Execution" from Pocahontas). Then at the end of the lesson I had the ice to myself and did the program and it went okay. I love love love back outside spirals. That's the best part. I moved the ISI 3 footwork off the center circle, and suddenly I can't do it anymore. But my coach and I both thought it would look better to the judge if I created my own circle instead of needing to guide on a hockey circle. I just need to stop practicing on those circles and get used to it elsewhere and it will be fine. I end the program in a scratch spin, so i have a second chance at the combo if the first ends up going terribly wrong. it's a pretty good program I think.

Skating Mothers Freestyle group class had some new kids move up into it, and the levels are just SO far apart. When we worked on scratch spins the instructor found out two of the kids were still doing 2 foot spins, and so he had to teach them 1 foot spins, another kid had never done a wind up into a 1 foot spin, so he drew that out, the other adult and I have been doing scratch spins for a long time but they aren't great, and one other kid above us could drill a hole in the ice with her scratch. So I think he was really frustrated with the mix of levels.

At the beginning of class we worked on back outside edges, and he quickly moved the other adult and me to a different line and had us do inside instead (yuck) while he taught basic edges to the kids. The skate director told me she might seperate the class next session- which would be so awesome. I don't mind the crowded class as the instructor is just that good, that it's worth it for a few minutes of advice.

momsk8er
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Mothers who skate: Boot break in coming along, they are really starting to feel like they are mine now its week 3. Today MIF is flowing better (still stiff on that left inside mohawk, though, in the 5-step), and I'm getting my spin back. Yesterday I did some jumps and I think they are getting close to what they were in the old boots, but they feel much more secure as my heel is not lifting. Yeah!

Skating mothers: backspin, backspin, backspin.

Kim to the Max
03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
[Skating Mothers]
I am absolutely OVER intermediate moves. Done...finished...ugh!! I have a week and a half before I test them again, and I just want to be done with them...that bracket pattern is the devil and the slide chasse pattern is so not working, grrrrrrrrr....

Camel and Camel/sit were not happening today :roll: had a friend count revolutions and I'm not getting my 6 I need...that spin is off and on anyways, but I really need it to be on right about now....

[Mothers who Skate]
Jumps were okay today.

I did my program twice and did one clean-ish run through...

Nothing was truly horrible today, but nothing was really all that stellar either...

dbny
03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Just pulled out of Eastern Sectionals. Last Thursday, I was in ballet class on pointe when I felt a pop/twinge right behind my achilles (that had been ruptured and repaired 2.5 years ago and that was finally starting to gain enough decent strength so as to not hold me back as much on my toe loops and CCW spins). Now I'm presenting a whole bunch of symptoms that could point to anything from achilles tendonitis (best case) to having partially reruptured that tendon (worst case).

Hoping for the best case!

Mothers who Skate:
Very dull blades seem to improve my three turns. I've even been doing some RFI / RBO threes, which were unthinkable just two weeks ago. Now I'm afraid to sharpen. Think I'll just spruce them up with the Pro-Filer. Went to the rink early today to practice and ended up picking up a lesson, but managed to just fool around with FO and FI three turns as I skated afterwards, which was very nice since I was able to just do them casually and checked them all pretty well. That put them into the category of fun, which I definitely need more of!

Skating Mothers:
I had planned to get up early and skate outdoors this morning, but could not sleep until 7 AM 8O, and we had a huge rainstorm and warm weather, so skating outside was not an option anyway.

singerskates
03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Mothers who skate:
In CanSkate today, I got to work the whole session minus the warm up with the Yellow group and started to choreograph them a program to the Mickey Mouse Club theme music. For the most part is was a lot of fun except for this one little skater who seems to not want to listen to instructions. This skater also does not stop at all. I'm wondering if they're mentally challenged because when I look right into her eye's and then tell her something she at least tries to do what is asked.

Salchow wasn't as sour as last time and I was able to do it in combination. Toe loop and waltz jumps rocked. Did a fast centered forward scratch spin which I couldn't even count the rotations but it sure felt good. Then I did another scratch with about 5 or 6 revs and was able to change position to a back catch foot spin with another 2 revs. Not bad for day 3 of breaking in boots.

Skating Mother:
Had to get off of the ice 10 minutes early because my ankles were killing me but at least I don't have any blisters yet. I've been putting on "Nu Skin" on my feet before skating.

singerskates

kimberley801
03-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Skating moms: Work schedule left little time to skate this week. Felt crappy all day prior to skating, so of course skated like crap too. Learned side toe hop in class today. I must have put way too much thought into it. How does something so simple turn into something hard?? I have to turn off my brain sometimes...

Moms who skate: Learned Ballet Jump today and it came pretty easily to me. Nice cute little jump which would look even better if I dropped 40 pounds. :lol: 3-turns are improving, even the LFI3. I'm off work this weekend and will work night shifts next week, which means more time to skate!

vesperholly
03-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Mothers who skate: I've done my entire program, all the jumps and spins, for the past three days and wanted to die at the end less each time!

deannathegeek
03-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Mothers Who Skate
I had a great class last night-I learned how to do a toe loop right the first try! :D

Skating Mothers
The skating mom who I've had issues with before is now definitely unhappy with me, since her daughter (who is 6) has taken a liking to me and partners up with me in class. I help her with her jumps, she helps me with my spins. Her mom thinks I'm keeping her daughter from learning how to do things the right way. She complained to the teacher last night, but she told her we've both improved more since we started helping each other. She was furious! HA Ha ha!

Rusty Blades
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Started antibiotics Tuesday for inner ear/sinus infection -

SM (Boy that can be taken the wrong - but still appropriate - way!) I swear the pills are contaminated - they smell and taste like solvent! - but with only 2 skating weeks to Nationals, I am taking them ANYWAY! (Until I get a chance to get back to the pharmacy today.)

MWS Felt a little better this morning than I have for the past week and wanted to get the revised Free choreography out on the ice. Spins weren't happening (no surprise with inner ear problems) but everything else (except toe loop) wasn't too bad and the new choreography seems to work except we have to rearrange a little to get the spiral sequence back in.

There's hope - not much time, but hope.....

Isk8NYC
03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
The skating mom who I've had issues with before is now definitely unhappy with me, since her daughter (who is 6) has taken a liking to me and partners up with me in class. You're doing this child a favor, teaching her to be accepting of others. Good work!

I blew off my lesson and practice on Tuesday for a sickly child. Looking at the calendar, I can see there's a "Tuesday Sickly" pattern...hmmm...

Did off-ice exercise yesterday and even jogged on the treadmill. Woohoo!
Supposed to go skate this morning, but I'm dawdling.

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Forgot to post yesterday:

Skating mothers: There is so much of our choreography I just plain can't do yet! And much more that I do very badly. But it will come.

Mothers who skate: But I now more or less have all 8 3-turns! Although the back 3s are more like 2 1/2 turns.... but they are coming! And my coach was really impressed with my FO3s for some reason, although I am not sure why.

dbny
03-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Mothers Who Skate:
I found some time to practice early this afternoon, and did two rounds of Prelim power threes - a move that has been defeating me for a very long time!
I even managed the intro LFO three in the pattern. Played around more with FO and FI threes and even did a few going faster than I'm used to. Did the BO edge exercise for backspin and then tried from a RFI three and got one rev. Can feel that I'm standing straighter (not breaking at waist). Later, before leaving for the day I did some FO threes with arms behind back. Coach did them for me ages ago to demo the importance of shoulders, and I said in no uncertain terms that I was not going to do THAT!

Skating Mothers:
Got home to find message from coach that she has to cancel my (and DD's) lesson tomorrow :x. Will go anyway and practice hard.

Kim to the Max
03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
[Skating Mothers]
Power circles...they have gone down the toilet :( they have no power and the timing is off, even with the CD...don't know what the heck happened because they were doing so well....

Brackets were horrible...e-mailed coach and told her that whoever thought those were a good idea needs to have their head checked....she thought I was kidding...

Program was not good today :( I can do each of the elements singularly, but putting them all together is just not happening...

I need to slow down and work on my entrance to my camel spin...I'm doing something funky...

[Mothers who Skate]
At the end of the session, I was goofing around because I didn't want to do axels or double sals (I have a HUGE bruise on my right knee and I do not want to fall on that again), so I did some laybacks which were okay...I need to lean back more, but they are feeling better. Then I did some catch foot spirals and ina bauers and attempted spread eagles...it was cute because one of the younger skaters said to her mom afterwards, "Kim can do so many cool things that I need to learn how to do!" and told her mom that I "pinky swore" (to which her mom looked at me and said that it must be pretty big if I pinky swore...this girl is 10 years old, so that is a HUGE deal), that if next year, I don't have something for work, that I will do the ice show (I'm going to be in Atlanta during our show this year for work)...her mom actually said that that would be really good (I am the ONLY adult skater that I know of with the club...and I'm there every day but Saturday). That was just super cute and it made me feel really good :D

mikawendy
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
[Skating Mothers]
Power circles...they have gone down the toilet :( they have no power and the timing is off, even with the CD...don't know what the heck happened because they were doing so well.....

Are your blades dull? I find I have a much harder time getting power on those pushes with duller blades.

kander
03-06-2008, 11:27 PM
SM: Sunday was a terrible skate. Couldn't do anything. I hung around just for the cardio. Couldn't do any decent axels in the lesson today. Coach is pulling his hair out because I'm so close and keep screwing it up. My loop has gone on a long vacation and didn't bother leaving a forwarding address.

MWS:Toe loops have come back from vacation. Landed the first one in lesson today. Also (sort of) landed the first salchow. Camel spins have been getting more consistent. Half the reason of going to lessons is to show coach I can do it. The other half is to actually learn something. Does anybody else feel the same way?

jazzpants
03-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Skating Mothers:

Well, let's just say that my coworkers have consistently tried to schedule important meetings that I have to attend RIGHT ON THE DAY that I was supposed to WORK FROM HOME!!! This week was no exception! A luncheon to celebrate a software release was moved from tomorrow to today to accomodate 3 developers who usually work from home on Fridays!!! Of course, *I* wasn't an important part of the release (even though I've put in weekends and evenings on it the past month!!! :evil: ) And they were gonna let me skip this luncheon if I can't reschedule my lesson around the luncheon

Mothers Who Skate:

I am VERY VERY THANKFUL that primary coach was kind enough to schedule his time around my situation. THANK YOU JAY!!!! :bow:

Skating Mothers:

Both of my run thrus of my technical were CRAP for various reason. Luckily for me the SECOND of the two runthrus was better than the first.

Mothers Who Skate:

Okay, it's probably royally cheated, but I landed serveral lutzes today. YAAAAAAY!!! :bow:

Time to go to bed... :D

tidesong
03-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Mothers who skate: I've done my entire program, all the jumps and spins, for the past three days and wanted to die at the end less each time!

Oh but thats great practise! Way to go!

vesperholly
03-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Not sure which category this one goes under ...

Did my program for the last time before I leave for Easterns. Nailed the opening choreo and the axel ... then downhill. :frus: Fell on the lutz-loop (I never!) and was so late getting up I had to completely leave out the camel-layback, landed the last lutz on two feet and fell out of the layback. Ended up getting all :drama: and upset (PMS + competition nerves = bag of tears).

But I had my coach videotape the program, and watching it, I was stunned that it didn't look nearly as bad as it felt! So I suppose that even my worst nightmare-type program, which this was, isn't that terrifying.

I should be relieved, actually. The worse I skate before a test or competition, the better I end up doing! But boy, does it feel like crap still. :giveup:

Kim to the Max
03-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Are your blades dull? I find I have a much harder time getting power on those pushes with duller blades.

Maybe...it has been 3 weeks...thanks :)

badaxel
03-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Fell on the lutz-loop (I never!)

Hey! Maybe it's going around... That happened to me today, too!!! I hope it's not too contagious! You have such great edge quality and overall skating that it probably won't matter anyway! Your falls look better than my landings!

Here's for today and yesterday, my last practices before Easterns:

SM:
-botched the toe loop AFTER landing the axel in my program.
-As mentioned, struggled with the lutz-loop-loop
-didn't feel as strong as I'd like on the overall skating and choreography
-struggling a little with the first axel in the program
-a little tired today, and my program lacked energy
-flying camel hasn't been as fast as it used to be

MWS:
-landed a total of 3 out of 4 axels in 2 program run throughs
-had a great, really fun lesson!
-layback has returned to me- and I know how to keep it, now!
-the final combo spin, now a sit/ change/ variation is much stronger
-Actual thought during a run though: Wow, am I really almost done? That was fast!

looplover
03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Skating Mothers: It's almost funny how horrible I am at remembering choreography. Really, it's funny-tragic. We totally revamped my footwork sequence and my poor coach had to deal with me not getting it after she showed it to me oh, at least five times. That woman has the patience of a saint.

Still no camel but it's not in the program anyway.

So stressed out about work that I was very shaky on the ice for the first 10 min of warmup. (made two really, really dumb mistakes at work yesterday)

I don't know if this should go in the other category, but the lutz is out of the program for now - can't get it in time for competition. It means I'll lose but I don't care, my goals for this comp are: 1) don't make fool fool of self, and 2) skate clean program. Lutz, schmutz. Oh and twice I forgot to add the toe loop at the end of the flip (oops)

Mothers who skate: I did at least five flips today! YAY Only one of two in the program but progress is being made. I finally got the hang of waiting a beat after the 3 turn and toeing in.

Good sit spin and really good front scratch to back scratch. I was thrilled. Loop is consistent again. I think once I remember this footwork I'll be good at it.

Rusty Blades
03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Grandma On Ice: Must have had a good workout yesterday 'cause it took awhile to get the stiffness out. (That's ok, after being sick for a week, I NEEDED a good workout!)

Warmed up jumps (so-so) and spins ( which still aren't happening since the ear infection), edges and crossovers.

In lesson, we went back to finish the Interpretive choreography. First determination was to cut the music to minimum time - it's too long and will get boring. Another challenge is to find a "low" opening pose that I can actually GET UP from! (Hey, I'm 58 - gimme a break!)

Lots of work yet to do on the Interpretive, lots of practice needed on the Free program, and only 10 skating days left..... EEK! MOTHER!!??

liz_on_ice
03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
haha - great thread title, glad I'm actually getting to post to it.

I've been bearing a much stronger resemblance to a skating mom than a mom who skates lately, with one cold after another. I posted two weeks ago that I'd gotten better and had my lesson - and promptly got sick again. Work is way to busy to stay home unless I'm running a fever, and I wasn't, so I went in and just took that much longer to get better.

Today though, I'm a skating mom. I had a day off and went to the later freestyle where there are actual human beings besides myself for company. I had a total blast. Jumps were good, edges good. Spins not so great. I've lost a few pounds and I find weight changes throw me off. Especially since my spins aren't that great to begin with. :roll: Program runthroughs were great, elements are a little shaking after so much time off ice, but I felt mentally refreshed, and I really got into interpreting the program. I feel like it's really going to look good. :D

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Skating Mothers: Rink politics! Which meant very little got done, as people were upset and just talking.

Mothers who Skate: I do have a new skirt, and am going to have a lovely outfit for my free dance!

Helen88
03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Thursday's practice:

Skating Mothers:
Ice was HORRIBLE!! Hard, rough, rutted...just horrible. So I gave up on spirals - they were slow and shaky - and that was on my good leg.

Mothers Who Skate:
So I took the opportunity to work on my three-turns and mohawks - and something about them really clicked! I think it was the arms...but they were really working today. And, I worked out how to do the entry to a waltz jump!! So I did the entry, jumped, and exited...so I've decided I can now say I have my first jump.:D :D

Skating Mothers:
Took two nasty falls - ended up with two elbows bleeding everywhere. Quite funny actually - I got up covered in ice, in the middle of doing my ten RI three turns, and what did I think? 'Oww I'm bleeding'? Nope - 'Damn - I've lost count now'! :giveup:

Sessy
03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I did my first scratch spin today of which the first revolution also spun around the hook! Usually the first few revs travel and then the spin centers.

Sit spin continues to get lower, was having a little difficulty finding enough space to do a good camel entry though. I rush the edge when I don't have enough room.

Waltz-8 and back inside edges are coming along. Back power 3's are now with the free leg staying in front like doubletoe said, and like today's guest coach did (a girl about half my age, eek!)

Fysiotherapist will let me finish off the season (we go on till april 11th, then stop until late september) but after that he wants me to do no sports at all all summer!!! :x :x :x :x :x

singerskates
03-07-2008, 06:19 PM
skating mother: or should I say skating mother too sick to skate. I had to stay home today missing my ticket ice and my club ice today even though I really need to get with my coach to get my elements in my freeskate timed so that I can input them online for Skate Canada. Feels like someone is hammering my chest to the back of my back. Ears are throbbing. Eyes hurt to open and to close. Took all my asthma meds, Advil Cold & Sinus and it doens't even touch it. Hope this clears up over night because I have a session in the morning, have to PA CanSkate and PreCanPower and hubby wants to go to the states tomorrow after skating is done.

Mothers Who Skate: Where? Maybe in my dreams today. The most skating I've experienced today is the commercial for that new Cutting Edge 3 movie and the skating ice show music tracks I'm editing and remastering for my skating club. Spent about 6 hours today editing a song for my club's spring ice show which normally takes me only 30 minutes max. Show's you how stupid I am today because I'm sick. The piece isn't for me but for either StarSkaters or CanSkaters. I'm not sure which at the moment.

Kim to the Max
03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
[Skating Mothers]

Coach had me all confuzzled with my power circles today. It ended up helping, but dang, it took me a while to figure it out...and it made sense intellectually, but putting it into practice was another thing...

Brackets were not my friend today...I was so frustrated with them :giveup: :twisted: :frus: It's mainly a mental issue, but ugh! Coach was getting frustrated too....

Another coach kept getting in my way when I was trying to do my CW back power-3s (which, I think coach figured out what the issue was...I wasn't checking my back arm). I had to do the pattern multiple times to get it in. I felt bad because I kinda' copped an attitude with the coach (once, okay, but twice in a row on the same pattern...give me a break! It's a predictable pattern too). I apologized afterwards and everything was fine and she understood, but I just wanted to let her know that I was sorry for the attitude.

[Mothers who Skate]
Program went okay. Did all of the elements, and only needed to re-do the scratch/back scratch for good measure. Did one during my mock warm-up, and coach asked where that came from :)

Coach said my moves look good. And that there is no reason for me not to pass them. She said that she is sick and tired of doing them (to which I responded, YOU are sick of them?). And not passing freestyle is not an option because she wants me to be able to coach next season. *sigh* I'll do my best...but am not making any promises...yes, I know I'm being pessimistic :(

The same girl from yesterday made it a point to tell coach that I pinky swore that I would do the show next year....it appears that she probably will not forget that one....

slusher
03-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Skating Mothers:

I'm a skating mom. Sometimes I can be a sk8m0mfromhe11, most recently about the entirely slutty costume that my daughter is expected to wear in an ice show. It was NOT appropriate and yes she is taking the option of not participating in the show because I made that decision for her. So she's crying her eyes out and I feel like doggie doo doo.

Mothers who Skate:

If it wasn't for being able to go out on the ice and blow off some steam, I'd be in the insane asylum. Luckily I don't skate at the same place where the ice show is. I was so mad that I was smacking my toe pick in ferociously and I think I've fixed my flip jump 8O or else I've broken my ankle :frus: It's a bit stiff and thick now.

kimberley801
03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Skating mothers: Public sessions are canceled for tomorrow due to a test session. So I'll have to wait until Monday to skate unless I drive across town.

Skating mothers who decided to lighted up and skate for fun: My feet kept cramping even when my laces were loosened up. I thought my arch supports might be the problem, so I swapped them out for the supports in my running shoes. Voila! No more pain and laces are night and snug.

Mothers who skate: Excellent practice today. Probably my best one yet. Ballet jumps are SO much fun. Not getting much height, but it's still a jump! I thought I'd return to attempting half flips, and was able to land consistent jumps! Turns out the ballet jump has helped out with picking. I even fell three times. (that's a good thing since I'm so scared of falling).

ibreakhearts66
03-08-2008, 12:04 AM
skating mother those darn rockers kill me every time. now it may be the blade mount, as i do think mine are too far to the outside, but i CANNOT get the outside edge on FO rockers, especially LFO.

mother who skates counters are coming along very well. the BO ones are a little tricky for me, but BO brackets are pretty hard for me too.

ok so no one yell at me, but i've been cheating on my "no jumping allowed" rule. only a little bit! i landed the second axel i tried, the second double toe and the third double loop. now i know i know i need to be careful. but it really doesn't hurt! the only motion that hurts is a swinging motion (like double sals, which i am NOT doing). i only did a couple of jumps, but it was nice to know that all of my hard work didn't go out the window.

and things are looking good for me for MIF. i can basically do all of the patterns through intermediate. i still hate the preliminary spirals, but i can do them just fine. and i thought the brackets in the field (intermediate?) would be horrible, but they're actually fun! i also love the 3's in the field on (i think) juvenile.

so basically things are going well. my hip is holding up nicely as long as i am fairly nice to it. and i have a nice puppy to go home to :D

Rusty Blades
03-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Mothers Who Skate (Not on the ice but skating related) I needed to get into the skate shop to see about a minor repair to my boot but it's SO hard because of schedules and locations so I nipped out of work at lunch time yesterday (for an "extended lunch") to do it. At the skate shop I ran into one of my "old skating friends" whom I haven't seen in over a year, one of the ladies who first encouraged me to get into skating. It was wonderful to have a brief chat. I miss my "first skating family" (who are now scattered to the four winds) and wish them all the very best!

jazzpants
03-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Mothers Who Skate
Yes, I actually skated on Friday on a morning FS session!!! Could've knocked secondary coach over with a feather when she saw me on ice ... and yes, to PRACTICE my program too, not for a lesson...

This is part of my training for preparing for National. My figure skating trainer has put me on "periodization mode" and we've worked out a training plan for me where I'm to build up my run thru so eventually I can do double runthrus of both programs on that one session (which will drive people nuts, but hey, they're going thru a lot of runthrus too on the same session too, so I don't care what people think about it!!! :twisted: :P :lol: ) The idea is to do these two programs on auto-pilot.

It's very grueling. My secondary coach even thought herself that it's too much... but we'll see if I could do it.

Skating Mothers:
I'm half awake!!! And ice was unusually CRAP for this late morning session. Hmmmm? Could it be that everyone else on the previous session was getting last minute practice for Sectionals too??? :halo: :P :lol: And my loop-loops was a bit shaky b/c of the crappy ice too. Couldn't stick the landings as well b/c the ice felt "sticky."

Mothers Who Skate
Still did okay on the artistic program though. I think this one is a "stick a fork in it" done. :D And oh, I was playing around and thought I try a lutz with this one section of the FS program. Did a couple of good lutzes while I'm at it. Now I'm more determined to work on that lutz and maybe stick it in my FS program someday... (Probably not for this year's Nationals though, unless my coaches turns evil on me and makes me try for it last minute.)

Skittl1321
03-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Went back to power class for the first time since I got hurt. Today was a hard class, but a very good one. Glad I went.

Also did the freestyle session before the class- my mohawks have disappeared. I don't understand- I had them tuesday.

Did one combo spin that might count. Didn't run the program.

My knees don't hurt!
But my feet still do. My right foot felt like it was being squeezed by a vice. And this is in the wider skates :(

dbny
03-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Skating Mothers:
DH, DD and I all dragged our feet getting out of the house and were an hour late to the public session where I usually have my lesson. I think the absence of the lesson made everyone think it was OK to be late - but an hour?!! Found when we got there that there was some kind of group on the ice, so the normally empty session was crowded.

Mothers Who Skate:
Did a complete FI threes on the line pattern for the first time ever, without a touch down at all. I just have so much confidence on these turns at last! Had DD video some of my backspin attempts and so got to see my ever so slight bend forward at the waist. The video stopped 5 seconds before my full rev backspin, but I knew I did it. Was able to do Prelim power threes, both sides (in spite of numerous interruptions for the crowd). FI Mohawks are getting easier and I've been fooling around with the 5 step Mohawk pattern.

looplover
03-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Skating Mothers: I am bummed about not getting the lutz in time for this competition in 3 weeks. But I've only done one once and it was a year ago. Still, I hate to skate at a lower element level than anyone in my group, but the bright side is there are only 2 of us in the competition group anyway 8-)

Spins were not great today, I was on a public session and looking down all the time. Girl scouts were there, apparently. Didn't even get a cookie :cry:

Mothers who Skate: Great practice anyway though! Ooh my new footwork sequence is a challenge. But by the end of the session I think I got it looking pretty good except I have no power on these BO mohawk to crossover moves. I did two flip-toes today, YAY, since that's now in my FS program. They were not the most gorgeous ones in the world but I did 'em, now to make them better. Loops are getting bigger and less clunky.

Kim to the Max
03-08-2008, 06:09 PM
[Skating Mothers/Mothers who Skate]
Not on the ice, but I went to go purchase my new skates today, which is the mothers who skate part. Got Harlick finalists again, and will probably go with a Coronation Comet blade again unless I decide to upgrade to a vision or a pattern 99, but the comets have been doing me well, so why change? I am going to keep my current pair in tact so that while I am breaking in the new skates, I can switch and not break them down as I did these (I ended up breaking down my pretty much brand new finalists in about 6 months...not good!). And then if I want to, I could get them rebuilt.

The Skating Mothers part, is that I had to pay for 1/2 of them today :( At least I have the money....

Morgail
03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Skating Mothers:

Snowed in! No skating yesterday or today:cry:

Mothers Who Skate:

I did some nice off-ice jumps.

deannathegeek
03-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I did my first scratch spin today of which the first revolution also spun around the hook! Usually the first few revs travel and then the spin centers.

Congrats Sessy! I'm still working on my scratch spin, but my teachers say I'm not bending my knees enough.

Speaking of knees, I think I'm seriously damaging mine. They're all sorts of swollen & puffy & three shades of purple. Even my kneecaps seem to be floating freely now. Think I'll go to the doctor this week.

Sessy
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
We did two hours with 1,5 hour inbetween today.

After the first one, I was crying cuz nothing was working and my ankle hurt.

In the second one, I was back with a MEAN bite!!!
- CW salchow is nearly as high as my ccw was
- CW loop is fully rotated from a 3-turn (still no full rev from xo'vers, but at least it's gaining speed)
- CW flip is nearly 3/4th rotated, but has the same problem my ccw flip had: I'm jumping *back* instead of forward. Hmpf.
- I can cross my feet on the CW waltz jump (the normal coach wants me to because apparently my CW waltz jump has axel aspirations).
- back inside 3's were checked according to coach
- back power 3's work fine
- I learned some figure on the ice, it's like for a loop jump except you stay on the ice and draw a circle-like thing and continue on, all on an outside edge.
- scratch spin perfectly centered before coach, but now I lost my 1-foot-spin again, it's like I can never do those two at the same time
- I got a cw backspin now too. Funny thing, practicing my cw backspin improves my ccw backspin (which I can barely practice due to damage to my ankle).
- one of the coaches, who's a fysiotherapist by day job, said my knee is nothing to worry about (it was hurting on certain movements, particularly the sit spin, but only when I tried to get into the sit spin right away and she has me first hook it like a 1-foot, then get into the spin and that way it doesn't hurt).

- layback spin is, well, looking up at the ceiling, no laying back yet.
- sit and camel had some problems, nothing major, all boils down to the fact that I do have the core strength, I just don't remember to use it.
- problem with my shoelaces, call me Tonya Harding but they're simply not holding me. I have to re-tie about five times an hour simply because they slip off the hooks on my jump landings. I tie them harder and I get cramp and I can't get any kneebend so that's not an option. Then again, I did switch to waxed laces back on the old skates about around the time I had a full ccw loop cuz my laces kept slipping or snapping, so maybe that's what's happening now too.

Sessy
03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Congrats Sessy! I'm still working on my scratch spin, but my teachers say I'm not bending my knees enough.

Speaking of knees, I think I'm seriously damaging mine. They're all sorts of swollen & puffy & three shades of purple. Even my kneecaps seem to be floating freely now. Think I'll go to the doctor this week.

Thanks!
Well don't worry about the floating thing, that will snap back to normal as soon as the swelling's gone but it's not a good sign knees like that!!!

dbny
03-09-2008, 04:46 PM
- I learned some figure on the ice, it's like for a loop jump except you stay on the ice and draw a circle-like thing and continue on, all on an outside edge.

It's called a "loop", and the jump is named after it! Loops are not easy figures. Did you do a FO or BO loop?

Sessy
03-10-2008, 04:57 AM
It's called a "loop", and the jump is named after it! Loops are not easy figures. Did you do a FO or BO loop?

Back outside.

I get all sorts of footwork to work on because there's something very strange about my edges, I can only do short ones. I can do some FI-BI and FO-BO edge changing figures, any footstep sequence she shows to the group I can do, but I can't do simple long back inside and back outside edges (like for your adult pre-bronze) because I can't hold them back to the line!!! Some days I can, other days they're entirely gone. The other girls who also passed all our basic tests don't have that problem, because you need to do power pulls and cross rolls from full stop for the last of our basic tests here and that requires control of your edges.

So, coach M. had me practice some difficult footwork e.g. LBI-LFO-step to-RBI-RFO 3's (which wasn't working btw, I can only do those 3's 1 by 1, not in pairs, else I start scratching), and then when I could do some very approximate semblance of that, get back to trying to hold those long back inside edges and suddenly, they were better than my forward inside edges!!! It's like magic!!! 8-)

Except next week our normal coach will be back from holidays so I don't know when I'll have coach M. again. She normally only coaches the girls who do nationals at our club, unless one of the other coaches is ill or on holiday, then she falls in. Last year, she got me to get the loop within 5 minutes, this year she did the same with my friend's flip. She's simply incredible. :bow:
Some peole don't like her though, she doesn't accept stuff like "I'm scared" or "it's not working for me today" and when you're down, she can be too much to handle sometimes. Like "you're supposed to jump, and that's not a jump" on my cw salchow was a bit mean, considering I've only been jumping cw for like 4 weeks now? But the results with her can be incredible, my cw salchow was almost as high as my ccw had been, in the second group class hour with her yesterday, and landed in a straighter line than my ccw sal ever did.
The other coach who does the Nationals girls and sometimes falls in, E., is also like M. is. Except meaner and scarier. And less inclined to do a perfectly clean lutz after freezing her butt off standing around for two hours.