View Full Version : USFSA pre-prelim mif test

mskater10
02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
hey everyone, this is my first post. I'm not sure if I posted in the wrong area, but i'm sorry if I did. Anyways, I'm a beginning skater, just started a month and a half ago or so. I'm 16 (old for skating, I know) but I am an intensive ballet dancer (but not so much now, in order to skate). I've learned quite a lot for just starting ( forward/back crossovers, edges, mohawks, 3 turns, spirals (ballet helps A LOT on those), lunges, bunny hop, ballet jump, waltz jump, sort of half lutz, 2 ft turn). I just decided I wanted to do the USFSA tests, so I've started learning for the pre-prelim mif test in privates (i've had one practice for it so far), and I have a few questions/ concerns.

1. Can you take more than one USFSA test in a year, or can you only do one a year?

2. Do you take the Pre-Prelim MIF test then the Pre-Prelim Freestlyle test then Prelim MIf, Prelim Freestyle and so on... or do you take all the MIF tests then all the Freestyle tests after?

3. How long does it take to actually get to a "good" skating test level, (meaning is it possible for me to actually get far in these tests since I'm already 16 and most skaters start at like age 5?)

4. In your opinion, is it worth it to go through these tests when your older, or do you think they are only for younger skaters?

Thanks everyone!

MSkater

Isk8NYC
02-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome to SkatingForums!

1. You can test more than once a year and you can take more than one test at a time. (Limit 2 / discipline) How often you test depends on when you're ready and when there's a test session.

2. You can take one level's MITF test and also 'contingency test' the same-level freestyle. However, if you fail the MITF test, you will not be allowed to test the freestyle and you will forfeit your test fee.

Most people test one or two MITF tests ahead, so that they can take both a MITF and a lower-level Freestyle test at the session without any contingencies. Some people really enjoy MITF, so they test that track more than the others, ending up mastering high-level MITF tests before their freestyles - it shows when they test because they have tremendous control and flow.

3. Everyone progresses at different rates. Your coach can suggest when you're ready for a test. Don't make the mistake of comparing yourself to others; just work hard and practice to be the best skater YOU can be.

4. Considering I took Pre-Prel MITF and FS last year at age 45, I have to say don't worry about your age. You're not old enough for the Adult track tests, so the standard track is your only option. Better to try and fail than to give up without even trying.

emkayy
02-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey! Everything Isk8NYC said is true, I just wanted to say I started skating at 15 (now 17.) I just took my pre-pre tests in December, so you're not alone age-wise! Good luck, you can PM me whenever also :)

jskater49
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
hey everyone, this is my first post.

Welcome to the wonderful world of skating!

1. Can you take more than one USFSA test in a year, or can you only do one a year?

If you pass a test, you can take another one the next day if you want. If you get a retry, you must wait 28 days before you can try testing it again. You can test as many times in a year that you can afford. ;)

2. Do you take the Pre-Prelim MIF test then the Pre-Prelim Freestlyle test then Prelim MIf, Prelim Freestyle and so on... or do you take all the MIF tests then all the Freestyle tests after?

You must pass the corresponding moves test before you can take the freestyle test. So you must pass the pre-pre moves before you can take the pre-pre FS. However, you do not have to take the fs test to test the next level moves. You could test all the way up to senior moves and never take a free style test. But you must pass moves tests to take freestyle tests.

3. How long does it take to actually get to a "good" skating test level, (meaning is it possible for me to actually get far in these tests since I'm already 16 and most skaters start at like age 5?)

4. In your opinion, is it worth it to go through these tests when your older, or do you think they are only for younger skaters?

That depends on how much often you skate, how many lessons you take. But 16 is not too old. Realistically, the chances of you getting to the senior level with enough triples to qualify for the Olympics, rather slim. But if you look at skating as a life-long sport....no telling how far you can go. It's just really hard to put a time on these things, because everyone learns at a different pace and the amount of time you can spend skating and on lessons has a lot to do with it.

mskater10
02-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Your answers really helped =)!

stacyf419
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
It sounds like you've progressed really rapidly - I'm jealous! :bow:
I'm 39, skating a little over a year, and I took my first tests back in November (adult track pre-bronze mif & freestyle, passed both). When it comes time for your test(s), be sure to search these forums for test advice - these posters really helped me get through the first time. Great tips & a lot of encouragement.

Good luck to you!

CaraSkates
02-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that I started skating at 14, recently turned 18 and passed my Preliminary FS and Juvenile MIF on Tuesday. So you can do it! I didn't start testing till I'd been skating for a year and a half, it's only been 2.5 years since I passed my Pre-Pre MIF. Go for it! Especially testing the moves will improve your other areas of skating. I just started ice dance and will test that in May.

mikawendy
02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
mskater10, keep up the good work! If you are planning on taking the USFS tests, then I strongly encourage you to get a rule book from USFS, regardless of whether your coach has one.

You can order it online from USFS (the link is HARD to find, but it's mentioned on one of the sticky posts in this On Ice forum). It comes in paper or CD-ROM version. If you are joining USFS as an individual member, one rule book per year is included with the cost of joining.

sk8tegirl06
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I took and passed both pre-pre MIF and freestyle at 20. For the MIF test I was by far the oldest skater there, but for the freestyle test there was a woman, maybe mid 30s? out there testing with the cute little kids. I find the testing atmosphere challenging and exciting, but I have done auditions for music since I was 10, so I think I am just used to the pressure, nerves, etc. I almost prefer being an "older" skater because I am at the point where I am skating just to be skating. If I land jumps great, if I ever get a fast, centered spin great, but if I don't then I just keep working at it because there is no biological clock saying "you must land all your doubles by age 10" or whatever the new standard might be.

There are many outlets for older skaters. The adult skating community is definitely thriving (in the US at least, don't know about anywhere else). There is also opportunity on the college level, search USFSA for collegiate and intercollegiate skating. (They are 2 different things) Intercollegiate is open for all levels preliminary through senior in both dance and freestyle. Synchro is always an option. There are many older/adult teams out there that compete and do shows. The support by having a team is amazing. There is a team near me that I almost joined this year. (I had to back out due to scheduling conflicts with their competitions and shows) I would have been the youngest member on the team by far. Last season, they had a gentleman on the team who was 80-85 years old, who competed synchro and adult dance. So basically, don't let your age prevent you from working toward skating goals.

xofivebyfive
02-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I started 2 years ago when I was 15 and I'm testing preliminary moves next month. 16 is not too old to start, I'm doing doubles now!

Muskoka Skater
03-01-2008, 07:32 AM
I started 2 years ago when I was 15 and I'm testing preliminary moves next month. 16 is not too old to start, I'm doing doubles now!

It took me 4 years to do doubles, but I did start skating at 5, lol! Welcome to the forum mskater10! You asked at the top: 4. In your opinion, is it worth it to go through these tests when your older, or do you think they are only for younger skaters?

I think it doesn't matter what age you start at and you should do it because you love the sport. You should try to go as far as you can and not give up. Welcome to the skating community!!

Helen88
03-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Welcome!

I'm nearly 14, started lessons a year ago, and with no dance training and not being particularly sporty, it's taken me this long to begin jumps [only waltz so far]. However, with ballet under your belt, you've obviously progressed much faster, and I'm sure you'll have found a sport you'll love for many years to come :)

mskater10
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys! I'm really excited to be skating!

ibreakhearts66
03-02-2008, 02:44 AM
i'm adding my name to the list of those telling you not to worry about being 16. i started when i was 13/14, and progressed really rapidly. i'm 17 now, and before i got taken off the ice with an injury (or ten lol) i was working double axel and triple loop.

as for the testing, totally up to you. it is totally worth it to test, even if you don't plan on ever competing. it gives you a goal to work for and certainly gives you a sense of accomplishment.

good luck!

Kim to the Max
03-02-2008, 07:04 AM
While I passed my pre-pre through juv moves tests and pre-pre and pre free tests as I kid, I am currently working on my intermediate moves and pre-juv free tests. I constantly get questions as to why I am testing standard track and not adult track... I say, go for it! If you want to test standard track, just go for it :) You are never too old :)