View Full Version : Strengthening your core

sue123
02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I need to work on strengthening my core, badly. Problem is, I don't have time to take a pilates class, and everyone says not to do it on your own. So are there any exercises I can do at home to strengthen my core?

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, besides isometric stuff which really does work (like contracting your tummy and holding it) and the boring stuff like bridges and planks (yes, they work because I did them in therapy)....

go here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047

and here:
http://www.radyoruzgar.com/video.asp?search_query=physio
which shows exercises with a physio ball (the wall squat one is killer!!!)

here is a good yoga resource: www.yogajournal.com (http://www.yogajournal.com) you can look for yoga poses for different areas to stretch and lengthen muscles which helps with strength. Try child pose, downward dog for starters; or run through the beginner stuff.

patatty
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I do a lot of the abdominal exercises from the NYC Ballet Workout. It comes in both book and DVD form and has some good exercises.

flippet
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
You can get some pretty decent pilates and yoga videos--that would certainly be better than nothing.

The trick to pilates is that the movements are pretty precise, and often very small, and you would do better by having an instructor show you what to do at first. But that shouldn't put you off trying it at home with a video, if you like. If you can take a couple of classes first, that would be great, but if you can't--big whoop. ;)

Skate@Delaware
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I do a lot of the abdominal exercises from the NYC Ballet Workout. It comes in both book and DVD form and has some good exercises.
This reminds me that I actualy have the dvd...but I keep forgetting that I do...and haven't done anything with it lately (like since September and now I'm feeling slightly guilty).

sue123
02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the links and recommendations. My other problem with a DVD is that I only have a tiny 13 inch TV that's at the foot of my bed. Kinda hard to do pilates or yoga on my bed. And I'm afraid if I try to turn the TV around to the center of my room where I have space, then the $8 shelf it's standing on might collapse 8O

Maybe when I go away on spring break, I'll take a couple pilates classes and then do what I learned when I get home.

mikawendy
02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I've used the core stabilization exercises that HealthSouth physical therapy recommends to its patients (exercises to teach neutral spine position with support from abdominal muscles as well as to teach use of extremities while maintaining neutral spine). I learned them from the PTs but also got xeroxed sheets to take home. The exercises looked easy, but doing them properly, for 3 sets with breaks in between, and not rushing on them is HARD, especially the ones that have repeats of the movement for 30 seconds.

Not sure if they have them online for nonpatients, but if you know a physical therapist (even if not someone who works for HealthSouth), they may have something similar. (DH received some from a Kaiser Permanente doc a few years back when he had a knee problem.)

Mrs Redboots
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
This reminds me that I actualy have the dvd...but I keep forgetting that I do...and haven't done anything with it lately (like since September and now I'm feeling slightly guilty).
And I have borrowed it from Airyfairy76 and still haven't watched it! :oops:

Mrs Redboots
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Just found that I have a link to a site giving core strength exercises (http://www.physioroom.com/prevention/core_strength/index.php) bookmarked, so am posting it here to add to the list.

airyfairy76
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
And I have borrowed it from Airyfairy76 and still haven't watched it! :oops:

Aw, don't feel guilty yet Mrs R - you've only had it three days!

It is very good though, with lots of core exercises.

Personally, I am doing two yoga classes a week at the moment, and am finding that is seriously working my back and core muscles. I think you can get some very good yoga DVD's.

deannathegeek
02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Yoga Booty Ballet! Seriously, my sister recommended this to me and it comes with 2 discs-one 25-minute core DVD, one 20-minute Goddess Booty DVD. It's definitely helped me a lot. If you can't find it at Barnes & Noble, just google it.

Skate@Delaware
03-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I was talking to another adult skater (she takes group and I only see her occasionally) and found out that there is a yoga class in my town...it isn't advertised (unfortunately for them and me).

I've only been looking for a local one for, like, 5 years!!!!! grrrrr!!!! :frus:

It's $12/class which I don't think is too bad, it's an hour long.