View Full Version : AN tentative schedule up

flo
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
see: www.lakeplacidskating.com to be posted soon.

It has been e-mailed to participants.

herniated
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Cool!! I didn't get it emailed yet. And where is Ladies Light entertainment? I'm not doing that catagory but I know of others who are.

MusicSkateFan
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Yuk!
Feel bad for people who signed up for open and championship gold! Two skates in one day!

TimDavidSkate
02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Can I copy and paste the tentative schedule here? Is it allowed? :halo:

daisies
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Can I copy and paste the tentative schedule here? Is it allowed? :halo:
I'm sure it's fine, and I, for one, would love to see it. I didn't receive any email.

lovepairs
02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
There's a mistake on this schedule:

Championship Dance is listed twice for Friday and, also, on Saturday.

Championship Pairs is not listed at all; I think they probably meant for one of these to be Championship Pairs, instead. I'll shoot an email off to Mary Elizabeth.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see Championship Pairs on the Schedule.

TimDavidSkate
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
*as of 2/28/08 – in no particular order

Wednesday, April 9,2008
Ladies Bronze
Men’s Bronze
Ladies Silver
Men’s Silver

Thursday, April 10, 2008Ladies Masters Novice & Junior
Ladies Gold
Masters Pairs
Gold Pairs
Silver Pairs
Bronze Pairs
Centennial Dance
Pre-Bronze Dance
Bronze Dance
Pre-Silver Dance
Silver Dance
Pre-Gold Dance
Men’s LE/C Interpretive

Friday, April 11, 2008
Ladies A/D Interpretive
Men’s A/D Interpretive
Men’s Masters Novice-Senior
Championships Dance
Gold Dance
Pre-Gold Dance
Silver Dance
Pre-Silver Dance
Bronze Dance
Pre-Bronze Dance
Centennial Dance
Ladies Bronze & Silver FR

Saturday, April 12, 2008
Championship Masters Men’s
Championships Masters Ladies
Championship Gold Ladies
Championship Gold Men’s
Championship Dance
Gold Dance
Men’s Gold
Ladies Gold FR

jazzpants
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Cool!! I didn't get it emailed yet. And where is Ladies Light entertainment? I'm not doing that catagory but I know of others who are.Yeah, where is it? I hope it's NOT on Wednesday (same as Ladies Bronze.) I don't want two skates in a day!!!

flo
02-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Someone may do two programs a day anyway, as you could do both interps or a fs and an interp. I've had this when I've done pairs and fs or interp.

daisies
02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
It's odd that they singled out the men's LE/C Interps but not the ladies, especially considering there are probably way more ladies! I am also wondering if they bunching together Adult and Masters Interps for purposes of this tentative schedule.

deannathegeek
02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
That's USFS, right? I'm doing ISI Adult Nationals this year, USFS Adult Nationals next year. I've decided to wait until after ISI AN before I take my pre-bronze tests. That way I can skate FS1 at ISI AN, and have time to refine for my pre-bronze tests.

Skittl1321
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
That's USFS, right? I'm doing ISI Adult Nationals this year, USFS Adult Nationals next year. I've decided to wait until after ISI AN before I take my pre-bronze tests. That way I can skate FS1 at ISI AN, and have time to refine for my pre-bronze tests.

Remember you have to be a bronze level to skate USFS nationals, so make sure you have time to get all your tests in.

vesperholly
02-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I wonder if there will be a Silver I qualifier. 8O

doubletoe
02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Yuk!
Feel bad for people who signed up for open and championship gold! Two skates in one day!

I immediately e-mailed back and pointed out this issue. I've already received an answer back saying my e-mail is being forwarded to the referee. We'll see if it helps!

Hannahclear
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I really hope there's not a Bronze I qualifier, because if there is, I may not be able to attend at all. :(

Or I may be able to skate in the qualifying round and then have to go home.

daisies
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I immediately e-mailed back and pointed out this issue. I've already received an answer back saying my e-mail is being forwarded to the referee. We'll see if it helps!
I'll be really surprised if it gets changed. Skaters who are in more than one event have to expect they might have to do two in one day, so long as there's sufficient down time in between.

I hope I'm wrong for the Gold skaters' sake!

vesperholly
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I really hope there's not a Bronze I qualifier, because if there is, I may not be able to attend at all. :(

Or I may be able to skate in the qualifying round and then have to go home.
:(

I looked up last year's schedule, and there wasn't a qualifier for Bronze or Silver 1.

Hannahclear
02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
:(

I looked up last year's schedule, and there wasn't a qualifier for Bronze or Silver 1.

This is true. It was also the case in 2006. I've looked at the results for a few years now. So I'm not despairing yet. I emailed the contact and asked her. Hope I hear back soon.

flo
02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Amazing. In my first bronze event, there were a total of 75 ladies.

Hannahclear
02-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Just got my reply. There is a qual for Adult Bronze I. Looks like I'm probably out.

ETA: How often does this thing change? Someone please tell me frequently!

lovepairs
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Just got my reply back from Mary Elizabeth, too, and Championship Dance is on both Friday and Saturday.

They forgot to include Championship Pairs on the schedule, but she said that it will be on Friday.

I went to see if she updated it on the website, at least, but not yet.

doubletoe
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I'll be really surprised if it gets changed. Skaters who are in more than one event have to expect they might have to do two in one day, so long as there's sufficient down time in between.

I hope I'm wrong for the Gold skaters' sake!

Yeah, I didn't really ask them to reschedule one of the events for a different day, but just to be aware of the issue and consider it when scheduling competition times (for example, trying not to schedule the Gold FR and Championship Gold back-to-back or so far apart that skaters have to skate both early morning and late evening on the same day).

jazzpants
02-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, where is it? I hope it's NOT on Wednesday (same as Ladies Bronze.) I don't want two skates in a day!!!

The official response is:
I have asked the referee about it and will post a revised schedule as soon as she lets me know when to put the event.

Stay tuned, folks!!!

vesperholly
02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Just got my reply. There is a qual for Adult Bronze I. Looks like I'm probably out.

ETA: How often does this thing change? Someone please tell me frequently!
Oh no! :( Will you still come up and skate the qualifying round at least? Or can you only make a weekend day?

manleywoman
02-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I didn't really ask them to reschedule one of the events for a different day, but just to be aware of the issue and consider it when scheduling competition times (for example, trying not to schedule the Gold FR and Championship Gold back-to-back or so far apart that skaters have to skate both early morning and late evening on the same day).

It's possible that many of those who entered Open did NOT enter Championship additionally. So it may have been the best/only place to put it if it only affected a small percentage of skaters.

Hannahclear
02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh no! :( Will you still come up and skate the qualifying round at least? Or can you only make a weekend day?

I don't know right now. It's just that I only get two personal days. That's really why I'm in a tough spot. Just one of those things.

doubletoe
02-28-2008, 07:00 PM
It's possible that many of those who entered Open did NOT enter Championship additionally. So it may have been the best/only place to put it if it only affected a small percentage of skaters.

There are 50 ladies entered in the Championship Gold Ladies Qualifying events at Sectionals (18 at PCAS, 19 at Easterns, 13 at Mids), so it looks like everyone who entered Open is probably entering Champ as well. Of course, we really won't know which skaters will be in both the open Gold and Championship Gold events at AN until the 12 Championship Gold qualifiers are determined after Sectionals. However, we can presume that those who end up registered for both Championship Gold and open Gold at Nationals will be in the final round of the open Gold comps (which are the same day as Champ.Gold).

badaxel
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't know right now. It's just that I only get two personal days. That's really why I'm in a tough spot. Just one of those things.

I have the same problem!! That's why I'm not competing, even though it's so close (relatively) to where I live. I am going to try to still take a day on Friday and drive up to watch! I hate to admit it, but I had so much fun last year that I felt like competing was just an added bonus. Just being around that many other AOSS patients was really the best part for me! (Right, Stormy??)

Hannahclear
02-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Maybe I'll just skate the qualifying round. If I make the final, I'll still have to leave, but who knows if I would make it anyway? My hubby is being so supportive.....:)

jazzpants
02-28-2008, 07:25 PM
I have the same problem!! That's why I'm not competing, even though it's so close (relatively) to where I live. I am going to try to still take a day on Friday and drive up to watch! I hate to admit it, but I had so much fun last year that I felt like competing was just an added bonus. Just being around that many other AOSS patients was really the best part for me! (Right, Stormy??)
Awwww... sad to hear that you won't be competing this year :cry: (but good to hear that I might still get to see you again in April... :D )

mikawendy
02-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Last year, someone in my group at AN skated the initial round Wed., qualified for the final round, flew home Wed. nite to be able to work Thurs., and flew back to skate on Friday! Talk about tiring! 8O 8O 8O

skaternum
02-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Amazing. In my first bronze event, there were a total of 75 ladies.
And in my Bronze I event in 1998, there were 48 (I think). Four qualifying groups packed full!

blue111moon
02-29-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm only driving up for Ladies LE/C and of course, that's not on the schedule yet. :)

I'm crossing my fingers that it's not on Saturday, for purely selfish reasons: I'm committed as accountant for a competition on Sunday and would like to not have to drive straight through from NY to NH at night. ;)

flo
02-29-2008, 09:55 AM
After the Dallas scheduling fiasco - I doubt that very little, if anything gets changed. I agree that if you enter more than one event, be prepared to skate more than one event - same day or not same day. It use to be more difficult as interp had initial and final rounds, so when I entered fs and interp, I competed 4 times - I figured that being able to do this was part of the competition. If the event were longer and this had never happened, then it would be unusual to compete twice in the same day. However this has been happening for 14 years.

Hannah - can you speak with your supervisor and let them know how inportant this is to you? Hope it works out for you.

vesperholly
02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
"Looks like" no qualifying for Silver I says the response I received today. :)

skaternum
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
"Looks like" no qualifying for Silver I says the response I received today. :)
Also an interesting comment on how things have changed. Wow.

techskater
02-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't forget that the age categories have changed and "I" is now 21-29

badaxel
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Don't forget that the age categories have changed and "I" is now 21-29

It's actually 21-28 I hope, because I'm 29 and I'm in group II. Last year, there were only 8 of us in Silver I at AN, too! I think it's pretty common.

xofivebyfive
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a question. I was looking up the test requirements for adult gold. Is it true that you can't pass higher than juvenile mitf to compete in gold? it said that somewhere and I was spazzing because I want to compete adult when I'm old enough but I'm planning on testing through at least intermediate mitf before then.

mikawendy
02-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I have a question. I was looking up the test requirements for adult gold. Is it true that you can't pass higher than juvenile mitf to compete in gold? it said that somewhere and I was spazzing because I want to compete adult when I'm old enough but I'm planning on testing through at least intermediate mitf before then.

No, it's no higher than juvenile FREE to be able to compete in gold. http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/adult_qualifying_eligibility.htm (this is info based on the 2006 rule book)

Stormy
02-29-2008, 05:52 PM
It's actually 21-28 I hope, because I'm 29 and I'm in group II. Last year, there were only 8 of us in Silver I at AN, too! I think it's pretty common.

Yeah, I don't think there's been an initial round for Silver I for a few years now. I'm sure there will be one for Silver II, though.....which I'm actually cool with, adds to the excitement! Badaxel, if you came up on Friday I'd be THRILLED!!! I hope you can!!! We can recreate some good times from last year.

doubletoe
02-29-2008, 07:10 PM

You can test up to Senior MIF if you want to. Just don't pass higher than the Juvenile FS test if you want to skate in Gold as an adult. BTW, if you pass the Intermediate FS test, you can skate as an Adult in Masters Novice. Adult skating doesn't stop at Gold. :)

herniated
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
A revised tentative schedule is UP!!!!It gives Rink and time of event!! Yeah!!

flo
03-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Just something of interest - the description of AN on the ORDA website is given as:

"Top recreational adult skaters vie for the national titles"

I sent them the following:

Hi,
Under your event listing, the Adult Championships are described as:

Just a suggestion to more accurately describe the event. If we're "vying" for national titles, we're not "recreational" skaters. We're competitive skaters.

Thanks

daisies
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I sent them the following:

Hi,
Under your event listing, the Adult Championships are described as:

Just a suggestion to more accurately describe the event. If we're "vying" for national titles, we're not "recreational" skaters. We're competitive skaters.

Thanks

Woot! Go flo!

rlichtefeld
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
A revised tentative schedule is UP!!!!It gives Rink and time of event!! Yeah!!

Yuck. Silver Men IV is late Wed and then Silver Pairs is early Thursday morning.

Oh well.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Rob

daisies
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
New things this year: All 20-minute official warmups on Wednesday and Thursday are on the USA Rink -- so not on the competition surface; Interps get no 20-minute warmup.

I can't even imagine how hard it is to schedule this competition, especially with an "added" event this year (the ability to enter two Interps instead of just one). Kudos to the chief ref!

jazzpants
03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
OH, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for not scheduling my FS event in the dead of mornings!!! Even the warmup is reasonable too! :bow: :bow: :bow:

But WAAAAAH!!! I'll have to miss most of the Championship Dance and probably the beginning of Championship Masters Ladies too! :cry: (Here's hoping I get the earlier group so I still have a remote chance of watching Masters Ladies afterwards...) But at least the event is late afternoons/early evenings and that's within my range of BEST times to skate!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hannahclear: You got your wish!!! No qualifiers! :)

Hannahclear
03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
OMG THE QUAL IS GONE!!!!!!

*Squeals*

jazzpants
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
OMG THE QUAL IS GONE!!!!!!

*Squeals*
I'm not too surprised that there's no qualifiers for Bronze I. It was like that last year too. And WOW, I remember the days when we had 4 (yes, FOUR) QR for Bronze III too (and formerly Bronze II.) 8O

coskater64
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
My events at AN are all late at night so I guess I can stay out late and have fun!!!8O 8O

Oh I already did that at sectionals. So tired... such fun.

Pairs at mids was very exciting and both teams were so different, AN's is going to be fabulous for the pairs events.

All the skaters at Mids did a great job, I spent 12+ hours watching almost everything yesterday it was fun, I actually got to cheer everyone!!:D

AdultPairSkater
03-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Hello everyone :)

After reviewing the tentative schedule, my friends, the Adult Gold Pair team of Les Ascher & Ellen Zurfluh, former Silver Medalists in Adult Pairs at Adult Nationals at Lake Placid, have withdrawn from the competition.

Their reasons for withdrawl are the safety concerns brought about by having such a high-level event scheduled relatively early in the day. This would require a 20-minute session to be held very early in the day prior to the event. The early hour, when bodies are often stiff and less flexible, coupled with the excitement of performing, does appear to be making the event a bit riskier for the participants in terms of potential errors. In pair skating, small errors could lead to serious injury, as we all understand and have witnessed.

While it is disappointing news, their viewpoint is shared by their coaches and medical professionals who also skate and volunteer their time to USFS. One can only support their decision, which is based on their genuine safety concerns. These concerns were raised in 2007 and appear to have arisen again this year despite a slight shift in the scheduled time for the event.

Do you (everyone) have an opinion on this issue of safety concerns and how they are considered when arranging competitions?

Thanks!

jskater49
03-16-2008, 08:23 AM

You could compete as an adult at Masters level. You really don't want to limit yourself now so you can qualify for an adult category!

j

coskater64
03-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Never mind....

manleywoman
03-16-2008, 10:51 AM
The early hour, when bodies are often stiff and less flexible, coupled with the excitement of performing, does appear to be making the event a bit riskier for the participants in terms of potential errors. In pair skating, small errors could lead to serious injury, as we all understand and have witnessed.

While it is disappointing news, their viewpoint is shared by their coaches and medical professionals who also skate and volunteer their time to USFS. One can only support their decision, which is based on their genuine safety concerns. These concerns were raised in 2007 and appear to have arisen again this year despite a slight shift in the scheduled time for the event.

Do you (everyone) have an opinion on this issue of safety concerns and how they are considered when arranging competitions?

Let's just make it clear that the early hour is hard on everyone. Old, young, pairs, dance or singles. It's not just pairs that hate early mornings.

We had complaints from one team last year that the Championship Pairs event was held too late in the day, when bodies are too tired to lift other bodies**. Then we had complaints (from Les and Ellen) that the Gold Pairs were too early, and bodies were too stiff. We had complaints that the older Gold Ladies events were too late Thursday night.

The overlying issue is that ANs can only fit into four days. The skaters wanted IJS, so now the days have to run longer (don't forget that means for judges and officials too, not just skaters). It's impossible, as a result, to make everyone happy. Not everyone will be able to skate at noon!

The report I wrote after Chicago ANs addressed the issue and stated that if at all possible, the referee should schedule Pairs between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm, and that the older age groups of any level should be earlier, and have the Is and IIs skate later. But Lake Placid runs on its own rules and does not follow the same organizational structure as other ANs.

Frankly, after having organized an ANs, trying to fit everything in, and working with a referee on all the issues that adults have with our older bodies, all I can say is that I'm sure the referee did the best they could within the constraints. As the Rolling Stones say, you can't always get what you want. Les and Ellen made a decision that was comfortable for them, and it's a huge shame, but the referee can't possibly rearrange everything for one team.

**the Championship Pairs event last year had to be held late in the day because Chris Williams had to compete in THREE events that day. So they gave him as much room between events as possible. So keep in mind that the schedule has to be juggled around those who compete in other disciplines.

badaxel
03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Well, said, Manley!!!

I would like to add that, some people should just be happy that they get to compete at all! There are many of us, I'm sure, who cannot compete this year, due to financial, time, or job/ family constraints. I would be grateful if I got to compete at AN, at any time of day!!!

OK, lecture over! (I am a teacher, after all!):giveup:

Mrs Redboots
03-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Hello everyone :)

After reviewing the tentative schedule, my friends, the Adult Gold Pair team of Les Ascher & Ellen Zurfluh, former Silver Medalists in Adult Pairs at Adult Nationals at Lake Placid, have withdrawn from the competition.

Give Les & Ellen my love - haven't seen them for too long! Sorry to hear they've withdrawn, but they know their own bodies best.

blue111moon
03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
The schedule for my one event is bad for me, but then that's the chance I took when I entered. I thought that perhaps, with a four-day event the odds of my low-level event ending up on Saturday afternoon would be slim, but that's eactly where I ended up.

Now I have to wait and see what the schedule is for the event I have to do the accounting for on Sunday before I decide wshether to withdraw from AN.

Am I happy about it? No, but that's the chance I took when I entered. I certainly don't expect the referee to arrange the dschedule around my needs and preferences.

The way it looks now, even if I do make it to Lake Placid, it will be a flying trip - in on Friday night, skate Saturday and then out again right after. Not exactly the soial outing I'd planned but .....

Hannahclear
03-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Gotta agree with this. I was devastated when the first schedule came out, because it appeared that Bronze Ladies I had a qual. I really felt that I might have to scratch. Turns out I didn't....awesome. Never did I consider asking anyone to rearrange the schedule for me and me alone.

bebi
03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Yuck. Silver Men IV is late Wed and then Silver Pairs is early Thursday morning.

Oh well.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Rob

Think of the wonderful nap you'll have after Silver Pairs. I'm looking forward to seeing you & Sara, and watching you skate. I hear you have a wonderful coach. :D Of course, you could follow the tried-and-true Chuck Miller Lake Placid training regimen: skate, stay up & drink beer, have french fries with gravy at the cafe across the street (I know, ewwww!!!) and then skate again in the morning...

manleywoman
03-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Never did I consider asking anyone to rearrange the schedule for me and me alone.

Just to make it clear, we don't know if Les/Ellen actually asked for the schedule to be rearranged at Lake Placid. They may have simply withdrawn and asked the referee to consider it for future competitions. When I said that the referee can't rearrange for one team, I meant more when they were drawing up the original schedule they do the best they can overall.

I should also mention, however, that I know that Les/Ellen's coach Oleg Vasiliev has taught Kim Sailer/Dave Garber at very early sessions and has never said anything to them about it being risky. Kim/Dave come to Chicago on occasion, stay with me, and we go together to whatever rink Oleg can get them on to teach pairs. Sometimes it's been 7:00 or 8:00 am. And Kim said it's never been an issue. But Dave is a much stronger (and younger) guy, so perhaps Oleg didn't think it was an issue for them.

daisies
03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I am really sorry Les and Helen are withdrawing again, because I always enjoy seeing them skate and hanging out with them. But I have to ask, and I am serious about this ... can't they just kinda time-shift themselves by going to sleep earlier and waking up earlier, so that by the time they have to skate their bodies are warmed up? It would be kinda like traveling to Europe or something and having your whole body clock be off, yet you have to skate when you have to skate. I know that sounds simple, but I don't see why it can't be done. If your event is at 8 or 9 or whatever, get up at 3 or 4 and get movin' on the ground before you even hit the ice. Do it for several days before your event so that your body is used to it.

Just thinking out loud.....

mikawendy
03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Of course, you could follow the tried-and-true Chuck Miller Lake Placid training regimen: skate, stay up & drink beer, have french fries with gravy at the cafe across the street (I know, ewwww!!!) and then skate again in the morning...

My regimen last year before the Bronze II ladies final round was to go out with cousins the night before and eat White Castle burgers, onion rings, and fries at 12 midnight! :lol: :lol: I didn't drink that night. Because of the late bedtime, though, I thought for sure I'd be really tired the next morning for my 20-minute warmup, but I was fine. Mmm, White Castle!!

coskater64
03-16-2008, 01:46 PM
It's very sad the Les/Ellen withdrew but they had a good reason and it was their choice. I can only imagine how difficult it is to manage this event, we are allowed to enter 4 events and even if you "per se" only enter one what about the others in your group? The ref has to take into accounts the needs of everyone, and as Manleywoman pointed out with IJS being run on just one rink and the event being limited to 4 days there is only so much they can do.

I skate both my interp events between 9:30 pm -10:15 pm not a great time but I am relatively young, I'll just sleep in and nap as needed. I get to watch everyone skate so thats a plus. I did notice that Masters Novice III and then a day later Masters Novice II/III both ladies were scheduled so that could be interesting but keeping track of all of this has to be so difficult.

I would just like to thank them for all their hard work. I really like having all the champ events at the end and I don't envy the judges and their very long day.

Thanks,

Leslie:D

vesperholly
03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Not everyone will be able to skate at noon!
ITA with your excellent post.

My event is at 4pm and I'm thrilled - I'm used to opening the competition at 7am. :lol: The only thing I'm a little sad about is that Silver is on the 1932 rink, not the 1980 rink, but you can't win 'em all.

jazzpants
03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Les and Ellen: I'm sorry to hear that you two won't be competing at AN and I won't get to meet you guys again. (I met you a LOOOONG time ago in San Francisco. We did dim sum after skating at the Embarcadero rink at the now defunct Harbor Village. I was the newbie in the adult skating scene back then.)

I understand that you are making this difficult decision for the safety concerns of all involved. I really don't have much of a say about this b/c 1) I've never skated pairs before and 2) I'm a 40 year old and I'm still a young'um compared to Les and Ellen. However, I could imagine what would happen if one's muscles spasms or someone's back stiffens bad enough that it would seriously impact an overall head lift. I mean, when my hip stiffens on a very cold early morning skate, I get into all sorts of trouble with my skating techniques to have to compensate for it. I don't think Les wants to compromise Ellen's safety here and from what I've read here, I didn't see them asking the referee to change the schedule for the sake of letting them compete. They made the wise decision to bow out and seriously, we really should snark them for their own risk management in terms of their skating. (Think of it as deciding on whether to skate with a slightly sprained ankle or injured back?) We don't have the right to judge the risk management for their team. Only they do!

P.S. Schedule has been revised as of 3/12/2008...

Hannahclear
03-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Just to make it clear, we don't know if Les/Ellen actually asked for the schedule to be rearranged at Lake Placid.

I know. I wasn't trying to criticize anyone specifically, sorry if it sounded that way. I just meant in general.

techskater
03-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Think of the wonderful nap you'll have after Silver Pairs. I'm looking forward to seeing you & Sara, and watching you skate. I hear you have a wonderful coach. :D Of course, you could follow the tried-and-true Chuck Miller Lake Placid training regimen: skate, stay up & drink beer, have french fries with gravy at the cafe across the street (I know, ewwww!!!) and then skate again in the morning...

Unfortunately, the Brown Bear (the cafe across the street) closed before Ironman Lake Placid Camp last June - the building was condemned - so you'll have to find a new place to have fries with gavy (::SHUDDER::).

jp1andOnly
03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
well said

I guess you have to do what you feel. I personally think it's a silly reason but everyone knows their body the best. I know I don't skate as well early morning but if I had to compete I know I would train early in the morning the week before to get my body used to it.

Good luck to all at AN!

Just to make it clear, we don't know if Les/Ellen actually asked for the schedule to be rearranged at Lake Placid. They may have simply withdrawn and asked the referee to consider it for future competitions. When I said that the referee can't rearrange for one team, I meant more when they were drawing up the original schedule they do the best they can overall.

I should also mention, however, that I know that Les/Ellen's coach Oleg Vasiliev has taught Kim Sailer/Dave Garber at very early sessions and has never said anything to them about it being risky. Kim/Dave come to Chicago on occasion, stay with me, and we go together to whatever rink Oleg can get them on to teach pairs. Sometimes it's been 7:00 or 8:00 am. And Kim said it's never been an issue. But Dave is a much stronger (and younger) guy, so perhaps Oleg didn't think it was an issue for them.

jazzpants
03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately, the Brown Bear (the cafe across the street) closed before Ironman Lake Placid Camp last June - the building was condemned - so you'll have to find a new place to have fries with gavy (::SHUDDER::).
Since we're talking about food here... what's good to eat at Lake Placid? The other question to ask is whether there is a RiteAid/CVS/Walgreens type of store within walking distance of the rink or Main St.?

TIA! :D

techskater
03-17-2008, 07:23 AM
In 2004, my group of friends/travel companions and I went to the Brown Bear 7 times (yep, SEVEN) for various meals. It's now closed and the cook has moved on to a more upscale type restaurant down the street (read: more expensive). There's the LP Brew Pub. Supposedly really good.

w.w.west
03-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Since we're talking about food here... what's good to eat at Lake Placid? The other question to ask is whether there is a RiteAid/CVS/Walgreens type of store within walking distance of the rink or Main St.?

TIA! :D

There are many places to eat up and down Main Street. There is a really good cafe/bistro by the Mirror Lake Inn. It is walking distance from Main Street but just enough off that it is on the quiter side. Don't remember the name of it, but the prices were reasonable. We went there for lunch.

As for the drug store. I know there is a Rite Aid, but it is not really walking distance as far as I can remember. But there is a free bus system that runs through Lake Placid and I'm sure that there must be a stop close to it.

AdultPairSkater
03-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone :)

Thanks for all the discussion. I have participated so many times over the years as a singles and pair skater I have experienced many scheduling issues first-hand - conflicts, early hours, late hours, etc. With the exception of conflicts, we simply try to train and do our best, which in pair skating also means safety. I do believe that one advantage to having a tentative schedule is knowing what you must be prepared to do.

For example, one option for skaters who feel it is not safe for particular elements at a certain time of day could be to prepare a program altered for safety concerns. True, it may be disappointing to need to do so, but if safety is the number one priority with participation being the second priority, this could solve an issue. But it is really a decision for the team involved and their coaches. This is one way to address safety concerns I was hoping this thread would discuss.

Personally, I feel safety in competition is a matter of training for the event. Having a tentative schedule helps know what you need to be ready for, and if you can't put in all your risky elements because it is early, then better safe than sorry. But my two-cents is really worth $0.00 because I do not train overhead lifts and double twists and jumps.

However, I fully support any personal decision a team makes in this type of matter, and it is good to hear that the safety concerns are voiced and taken into consideration by organizers who may not be personally familiar with pair skating.

Cheers!

Larry

happysk8tes
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM

I hope all of you competitors arrive in Lake Placid during the daylight hours. Not only is the Northway (I-87) one of the most beautiful Interstates in the nation, RT. 73 into Lake Placid is so awesomely beautiful, a great setting for this Olympic town. Views not to be missed! I may be a bit biased, because I did live in the southern Adirondacks for much of my life. And now after 20 years I've moved back to NY, living in northern NY (about an hour and a half from Lake Placid). Lake Placid is always magical to me, my Disneyland!

As you enter the village you'll pass Mt. Vanhovenburg (luge and bobsled), the ski jumps!, John Brown's body lies a molding quite near, and acroos the road is the spot where the opening ceremonies for the 1980 OOOOOs were held. And then, the rink!

Inside the rink is a good coffee shop. Don't know if it will be open but the SCofLP runs a used clothing/skate shop downstairs near the USA rink, down the hall from the ladies locker room. Use the Athlete's Entrance only door, across from the school, but don't stub your toe on it the way I did - I think I was so excited to be entering a door that I never thought I"d be eliglbe to enter! I've never exactly considered myself the athletic type! But there's just something about skating..... Too bad they have closed the historic Lussi rink. The Lussi tapes were filmed here, at least I know the spin tape (with a very young Paul Wylie) was. They'll soon be building a new convention center and adding another rink. Anyway, don't miss the old pictures of skating history in the hallway. I love those outdoor shops on Mirror Lake the best.

I know you didn't ask but in case someone doesn't have reservations I enjoyed the Golden Arrow Hotel on Mirrow Lake so much last year when I stayed for the Adult Skating Camp that I've booked it again next year. Many skaters like Art Devlins motel. Both are very close to the rink.

I can't picture a drug store right in the village either, but I'm sure there is one a couple miles outside the villlage on the way to Saranac Lake. Local grocery chain, Price Chopper, is in that direction. There's a good restaurant in that shopping area, can't remember the name though. Aside: Saranac Ales taste great, although I think they're bottled down in Utica.

Other restaurants I can recommend are the Brown Dog Deli and Wine Bar, Jimmy's 21, an institution in LP, both on Mirror Lake, up Main St. away from the rink. Across the street from the rink is Nicola's, good Italian, and the Lake Placid Pub and Brewry around the bend toward the lake.

In the village there are sadly, some outlets, but also many gift shops, cafes, boutiques, and even a swinging hot spot, the lounge at the Hilton. A great walk is the 3 miles around Mirror Lake. Kate Smith (God Bless America) used to live on this road.

Best of luck to you all. I tried to attend, between late Sept and Jan. 12 I passed five ice dances. On Jan 12 I skated a great Fiesta Tango, but lost my mind on the second pattern of the Swing and got a retry. But I was so proud of myself for trying, and both Dance and Freestle coaches thought I should have passed the Swing since I was testing as an Adult, I just needed one more judge, but so be it. 28 days later I passed Bronze MITF, so I have accomplished quite a bit in my first year of skating in my new club. I'll try the Swing again in May. Skating life is good!

I'll be driving down to watch you all on Thursday and Saturday - and hopefully I"ll be attending AN soemtime in the future.

Enjoy!
Pat

daisies
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
There's a Rite Aid nearby -- it's "around the bend" from the Hilton and Mirror Lake Inn. You would need a car, but it's not that far. A little farther from that, IIRC, is the grocery store whose name escapes me at the moment.

I am arriving late at night and will miss the spectacular views on the drive up, but I will get to see them on the way back. I am sad that the Brown Bear cafe is closed; I loved that place! They had great tomato basil soup!

ETA: Tentative schedule updated again today (3/17). Interp warmups added at 15 minutes apiece. :)

techskater
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
The Price Chopper is the grocery store!

daisies
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
The Price Chopper is the grocery store!

That's it! Thanks! :)

techskater
03-18-2008, 07:44 AM
I only know because a few of us had an adventure last trip getting to the grocery store! :lol:

flo
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Part of the competition is being prepared and able to compete. This includes taking the responsibility of training. Although we may not have the schedule months in advance, once it is posted it is the athlete's decision/responsibility to modify training as needed. If this is not possible for whatever reasons (time - physical ability - priorities) and you make a decision to withdraw - that's ok too but do it knowing that it is your decision. I do not believe it's ok to make a public issue out of it and repeat this proccess the next year as if it were a personal affront. The pairs event was scheduled early last year, so common sense would dictate that it could be scheduled early again.

I have competed in pairs up to the master level. In fact the first Nationals the pairs event was not held until very very late, and the same issues could be said for "safety" - unusual time, tired bodies..... However we modified our training schedules and were in great shape and ready for anything. We left the event at midnight - and with medals.

My preference would be for pairs to be later in the evening, mainly because I like performing in front of a packed house. I also believe that higher levels of diciplines should be given better time slots, but as pointed out, with the time and numbers constraint, it's not always possible. However if my masters pairs evnet were held at 6am with no one in the arena but the cleaning crew, I'd be there and ready to compete.

doubletoe
03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Part of the competition is being prepared and able to compete. This includes taking the responsibility of training. Although we may not have the schedule months in advance, once it is posted it is the athlete's decision/responsibility to modify training as needed. If this is not possible for whatever reasons (time - physical ability - priorities) and you make a decision to withdraw - that's ok too but do it knowing that it is your decision. I do not believe it's ok to make a public issue out of it and repeat this proccess the next year as if it were a personal affront. The pairs event was scheduled early last year, so common sense would dictate that it could be scheduled early again.

I have competed in pairs up to the master level. In fact the first Nationals the pairs event was not held until very very late, and the same issues could be said for "safety" - unusual time, tired bodies..... However we modified our training schedules and were in great shape and ready for anything. We left the event at midnight - and with medals.

My preference would be for pairs to be later in the evening, mainly because I like performing in front of a packed house. I also believe that higher levels of diciplines should be given better time slots, but as pointed out, with the time and numbers constraint, it's not always possible. However if my masters pairs evnet were held at 6am with no one in the arena but the cleaning crew, I'd be there and ready to compete.

I agree that it's no fun to have to compete first thing in the morning; last year I was in the very first event at AN and I had to get up at 4:00am, which was 2:00am Pacific time. But the top skaters in the world--even pairs teams--have it a lot worse because they need to compete halfway around the globe, where it may be 7pm local time but it's 3:00am back home and their bodies have no idea what's going on. In other words, having to skate at an awful time is a universal phenomenon in this sport and it really could be worse.

manleywoman
03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I do not believe it's ok to make a public issue out of it and repeat this proccess the next year as if it were a personal affront. The pairs event was scheduled early last year, so common sense would dictate that it could be scheduled early again.

Hold on . . . Les/Ellen themselves did not come on this board and bring it up. One of their pairs colleagues asked the question about what others thought about the scheduling for Pairs. I know Les/Ellen did inform the other Pairs teams via email, but it wasn't as public as you make it out to be. Nor do I believe that they think it was a personal affront.

Having said that . . . do I think this means that every year Pairs teams should be writing the same letter to the referee asking for a schedule change? No, since the referee does the best possible within a lot of difficult parameters. But they didn't make a huge public stink about it either, as you suggest.

Bottom line is, the referee does the best they can. It's impossible to make everyone happy.

On a related note: Skaters should NOT be bugging the referee, volunteers, judges, and other LOC/USFS staff that are working FOR FREE, volunteering their time, with scheduling complaints, or other questions that could be easily answered elsewhere. As a former AN cochair, I can say that I got a bunch of insipid emails from skaters demanding all sorts of things, whether it was dry cleaning, hair salons, directions to the airport (even after they were posted on the website with a downloadable pdf!). And the Chicago referee also complained about getting numerous emails from skaters with all sorts of requests. Out of 450+ skaters, it was only a small percentage of skaters that did this, but it has left a very sour note with headquarters and a lot of the officials who now think the adults are very high-maintenance. Yes, even when compared to all the thousands of skate moms out there. So while I think that at times there is justification for complaining to The Powers That Be (like when the Dallas schedule came out so drastically different from the tentative one) I think skaters need to be cognizant of how they file complaints. They should come from the LOC as one voice, not 20 people emailing the referee directly. Let's not alienate those who volunteer their time for us.

flo
03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Manley. I know that Les and Ellen did not bring it up on this board. That's not the public issue I was referring to. Having had several conversations with them last year, it was most definitely very public and an "entitled" attitude. If they or anyone does not feel safe - due to any situation, by all means drop out if you want, but do not speak for others.

I also had concerns from the manner in which some skaters presented themselves to the referees and judges at the past few AN's and want it to be clear that they do not represent all pair skaters. It has taken YEARS to get where we are and it has been a very difficult task from the beginning to have adults compete in pairs. As you said, these officials are volunteers and do the best they can.

jskater49
03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
. Out of 450+ skaters, it was only a small percentage of skaters that did this, but it has left a very sour note with headquarters and a lot of the officials who now think the adults are very high-maintenance. .

You know, I'm chairing our club ice show this year. And the group that has the worst rep for complaining (they don't like the warm up time, they don't like the dressing rooms...they don't want the costume comittee to pick their costumes...ect) are the adults and this bothered me because I didn't want the club thinking all adults were like that. So let's not be like that.

j

JazzySkate
03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I lurk more than post but would like to add -

I competed in the inaugural AN in 1995 and in 1996. Since then AN has come a very long way and it's refreshing to see (and hear) of the increase in adult competitors and skaters. Some adult competitors shouldn't lose sight of the fact that if it weren't for Ms. Rhea Schwartz, former Chair of USFS Adult Skating Program Subcommittee, whose tireless drive and determination made it possible for adult skaters to get the recognition they richly deserve, there wouldn't be AN, Adult Skating Camps, Adult Groups, Internationals, etc. Now parents are taking lessons right along with their kids and feel no shame. Before we were looked upon as "Why are you doing a 'kid's' sport?" or "Skating's for kids!" or channeled into doing Ice Dancing (no offense) and not taken seriously by (some) pros if we wanted to do Freestyle. All that has changed-for the better.

However when it comes to adult competitions - pleae let's not take up the Co-chair's and referee's time with petty e-mails. We wouldn't want complaints to hit USFS and for them to think of us in a different light than when we first started out in 1995. We're finally out there-let's stay out there on a positive note.

Good luck to all AN 2008 competitors, no matter how you'll place. When you hit center (or side) ice before you start your program, be ever so proud.

herniated
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I like what you have to say!! I do feel proud ... and grateful to be able to take the ice.

starskate6.0
03-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi Guys

Long time no chat.. :lol: Does anyone know who I should contact to Volunteer to help out at AN..
Im not sure if Ill be skating or not but I will be going if for no other reason but to go fishing for the first couple of day's and watch events. I would like to have something else to do.
Iv been in the hospital for the past 4 day's with an issue which may still keep me off the ice . With any luck Ill recover fast and be able to compete. But if that does not happen Id like to know what i can do to help the event along. However assuming no further complications Ill be back on the ice in a week or so. Im so bored its killing me.. :frus: can't go to work and Im stuck on the couch watching stupid TV ..:evil: . "oh how we live for the ice.. eh"
Let me know if anyone has any contacts or info for the Volunteer work..

Thanks

lovepairs
03-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi Star,

I hope you're feeling a lot better by now. ORDA is the LOC for AN, so the people you would want to speak with about volunteering are:

Mary Elizabeth Wightman
Laura (I can't remember her last name off the top of my head)
Denny Allen

They all work in the office at the Olympic Center. I'm sure they would love to hear from you and would welcome your offer to volunteer during the event.

The person most incharge of Adult Nationals is Mary Elizabeth, so I would start with her: mwightman@orda.org

See you up there and we can talk then.

lovepairs

starskate6.0
03-22-2008, 03:52 PM
I suffered a blood clot soon after Easterns and Iv been disabled for about a week and unable to walk more a few feet to the kitchen. Iv been stuck on the couch watching my Star Wars video's . Again and again.. :roll:
With any luck I should be able to get back on the ice the week before nationals if not Ill go anyway and try and help out. I wouldn't miss lake Placid for the anything.. Im feeling much better today . I hope your getting lots of practice, see you there..

Star. :D

sexyskates
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
That sounds serious Starskate. I hope that you are back to the ice soon. It will be a shame to miss the Championship round!

starskate6.0
03-22-2008, 05:59 PM
That sounds serious Starskate. I hope that you are back to the ice soon. It will be a shame to miss the Championship round!
Thanks Sexy..
Im not out yet but the next week will tell the story I guess :roll:
Thank you for your concern...

Star

lovepairs
03-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Star,

OHMYGOD! What happened??? We can talk at Lake Placid--I'm driving over right now to make you chicken soup. I'm just so grateful that you are okay, and will be back on the ice soon--you are the best thing we've got out there!

starskate6.0
03-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Star,

OHMYGOD! What happened??? We can talk at Lake Placid--I'm driving over right now to make you chicken soup. I'm just so grateful that you are okay, and will be back on the ice soon--you are the best thing we've got out there!

Thanks Pairs
Your a Sweety . Obviously the description of my situation is not for public forums . But here is the update . 2 surgeries later Im back on the couch and on the recovery trail. it will just take longer than expected and the next few day's will tell the story. All going well the Doctor say's I should be back on the ice the week before Nationals or maybe sooner because Im in better shape than most guys my age.. so thats helping. Could be a week, could be 3 weeks . Not enough info yet.. Thanks for the soup. If only in spirit.. :D

Time will tell . pain killers are great......:lol:

skaternum
03-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Ross, how awful!! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

starskate6.0
03-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Ross, how awful!! I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Thanks skaternum . I do look forward to seeing you all if only at the party but all going well i should be OK to skate if there are no further complications. :D

See you there..

sk8pics
03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Ross,
I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope you will make a speedy recovery, but please don't push it. Blood clots (and resulting issues) are nothing to take lightly. You may or may not remember, I had two blood clots in my lungs after my broken ankle and surgery. PM me if you want to talk to someone who's been through something similar.

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Ross,
I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope you will make a speedy recovery, but please don't push it. Blood clots (and resulting issues) are nothing to take lightly. You may or may not remember, I had two blood clots in my lungs after my broken ankle and surgery. PM me if you want to talk to someone who's been through something similar.

Thanks sk8pics
I sent you a PM , My body is a preety shade of purple but i am getting better..

jazzpants
03-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Blood clots!!! EEEEEK!!! Starskate6.0... BE CAREFUL!!! Yes, sk8pics is right! Blood clots are nothing to mess with. ONLY if your doctor okays it and you're able to get back into doing your program should you try to skate it.

I look forward to meeting you either way, at Lake Placid... :D

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 12:02 PM
i just watched all of the Gold mens on Ice Network. 8O ( Im stuck on the couch anywho. ) man its tough now. Id hate to be a judge at this event this year. If there was ever going to be a tough event to see this year its going to be that . Every one has the same elements , and every one is about the same level . Its amazing how tight this competition will be . Chris my man from Minni , great number and congrats on your win. . This will be a fun competition without question. . I hope Im going to be there on the ice with you but i wanted to wish you all the best . Ill know more in a few day's.. :mrgreen:

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 03:30 PM
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
*as of 2/28/08 – in no particular order

Wednesday, April 9,2008
Ladies Bronze
Men’s Bronze
Ladies Silver
Men’s Silver

Thursday, April 10, 2008Ladies Masters Novice & Junior
Ladies Gold
Masters Pairs
Gold Pairs
Silver Pairs
Bronze Pairs
Centennial Dance
Pre-Bronze Dance
Bronze Dance
Pre-Silver Dance
Silver Dance
Pre-Gold Dance
Men’s LE/C Interpretive

Friday, April 11, 2008
Ladies A/D Interpretive
Men’s A/D Interpretive
Men’s Masters Novice-Senior
Championships Dance
Gold Dance
Pre-Gold Dance
Silver Dance
Pre-Silver Dance
Bronze Dance
Pre-Bronze Dance
Centennial Dance
Ladies Bronze & Silver FR

Saturday, April 12, 2008
Championship Masters Men’s
Championships Masters Ladies
Championship Gold Ladies
Championship Gold Men’s
Championship Dance
Gold Dance
Men’s Gold
Ladies Gold FR

Hey Tim

I clicked on the initial posting you had but it came up in computer gobbltygoog .( Iv got a Mac they may be it ) anyway I see you have the Mens interp here on Friday I take it A/D means "all devisions " is that correct..?

sexyskates
03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I think it means Artistic/Dramatic.

TreSk8sAZ
03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Tim

I clicked on the initial posting you had but it came up in computer gobbltygoog .( Iv got a Mac they may be it ) anyway I see you have the Mens interp here on Friday I take it A/D means "all devisions " is that correct..?

Go to http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/adult_championships/index.phpand it has an updated schedule, and spells out what all the events are. And A/D means Artistic/Dramatic (as opposed to Light/Comedy)

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Go to http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/adult_championships/index.phpand it has an updated schedule, and spells out what all the events are. And A/D means Artistic/Dramatic (as opposed to Light/Comedy)

OK Thanks\ Tried it but I guess my computer does not have the software to read it. Thanks anyway , it won't matter Ill get a program when i get there.. Im there the whole week so it won't matter when i skate will it.. ...

herniated
03-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Feel better starskate. Surgery stinks and your complication reeks!!! But you sound like you have a very postive attitude!!!

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Feel better starskate. Surgery stinks and your complication reeks!!! But you sound like you have a very postive attitude!!!
yea..
This was supposed to be a 24 hour thing which took 4 day's after the complications and now its been a week and Im still on the couch so unless I see some dramatic change in the next week . Im out for another season.. :( wish me luck .. Im not done yet . you know me .. Id get on the ice if it kills me. :mrgreen:

herniated
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Please don't get out there if there's any risk of 'killing you'. It's not worth it. I too had surgery this year and was prepared to sit out the season if any complication arose. Fortunately, all worked out well. I was off the ice for a month. (hernia repair) But honestly, I'm just starting to feel myself and it's been 3 months. Give yourself time and see you at AN.

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
you have all been great .. Thanks so much .. Iill keep you all posted in the next week or so . But ill be at Nationals regardless of if I skate or not.
See you all there..

Ross

skaternum
03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks skaternum . I do look forward to seeing you all if only at the party but all going well i should be OK to skate if there are no further complications. :D

See you there..Unfortunately, you won't see me there this year. I've just returned to the ice myself, after being off for 2.5 years. I had to have some major knee surgery that has a 2 year rehab period, minimum.

Not sure when I'll get back to competing. <sniff> I hate missing the trip to Lake Placid too. Last time I was there, you & I had some fun in the Tenth Anniversary Gala, huh? Stilts and straightjackets! Fun!

rlichtefeld
03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
OK Thanks\ Tried it but I guess my computer does not have the software to read it. Thanks anyway , it won't matter Ill get a program when i get there.. Im there the whole week so it won't matter when i skate will it.. ...

The link points to an Adobe Acrobat PDF file. If you have the PDF reader installed on your Mac it should open just fine. If you don't have the reader installed, you can get it at adobe.com

Rob

rlichtefeld
03-24-2008, 09:37 AM
In case no one noticed, a new schedule was put up on 3/20.
Same location, just updated file:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/adult_championships/index.php

They moved my Pairs practice to the same rink as the comp.

Rob

Black Sheep
03-24-2008, 10:39 AM
At one point, I asked M.E. Wright at the LOC if skater lists for the events were going to be posted. She replied, "Sorry, that would violate the privacy of the other skaters." I wonder why this doesn't stop Don Korte from sharing skater lists with us for certain comps in MI and OH....:roll:

rlichtefeld
03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
At one point, I asked M.E. Wright at the LOC if skater lists for the events were going to be posted. She replied, "Sorry, that would violate the privacy of the other skaters." I wonder why this doesn't stop Don Korte from sharing skater lists with us for certain comps in MI and OH....:roll:

As the chair of an all-adult, we always put out a list of skaters by event. For one thing, to make sure we got it right!! Skaters know who should be and shouldn't be in events by age/level/etc.

But, there are lots of events that don't put it out beforehand. They usually don't at Regionals, Sectionals, etc.

It really doesn't matter. Show up, do your best, and cheer for everyone else!

As to the privacy angle, hmmm.... Then, why are the starting orders posted in the rink?

Rob

starskate6.0
03-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, you won't see me there this year. I've just returned to the ice myself, after being off for 2.5 years. I had to have some major knee surgery that has a 2 year rehab period, minimum.

Not sure when I'll get back to competing. <sniff> I hate missing the trip to Lake Placid too. Last time I was there, you & I had some fun in the Tenth Anniversary Gala, huh? Stilts and straightjackets! Fun!

Thats a shame skatenum ..:( I remember that and I give you a lot of credit for being able to skate with that jacket . Its a lot tougher than the stilts and lot more dangerous . It was very cool.. Im going back to the Doctor today to determine if another surgery is required , If so IM out , if not Ill be there.. :mrgreen:

doubletoe
03-24-2008, 01:05 PM

Uh. . . Then why are the final results published online?? That's even more of an invasion of privacy (especially for those who didn't place well!).
Skaters need to know what groups they are in, since some events have group A and group B skating at different times of the day or even on different days! How can you schedule your week without being able to see what qualifying group you're in?

TimDavidSkate
03-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Uh. . . Then why are the final results published online?? That's even more of an invasion of privacy (especially for those who didn't place well!).
Skaters need to know what groups they are in, since some events have group A and group B skating at different times of the day or even on different days! How can you schedule your week without being able to see what qualifying group you're in?

umm... maybe its just saying, "we actually didnt do a list"

jazzpants
03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
OMG!!! I won't miss the Championship Masters Women's event after all!!! Well, okay, not quite. It would depend on which Interp group I'm in and how long it takes to get the results and how I do. I'm not expecting to medal in either event, so I'll probably look forward to watching it! But *squee*...

Of course, the schedule will be kinda tight between me and my primary coach's other skater in the technical if he wanted to show up for her 20 minute warm-up... he would have to run like hell to make it on time to my FS event!!! 8O

Figureskates
03-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I am looking forward to the whole event!

flo
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I'll be there for the week. Because of knee problems, I'll be skating at most one session a day and will have lots of free time. So if anyone needs any help at practice or being put on for an event let me know.

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone.

NoVa Sk8r
03-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I'll be there for the week. Because of knee problems, I'll be skating at most one session a day and will have lots of free time. So if anyone needs any help at practice or being put on for an event let me know.Will you be available for healing some ailing death spirals (BiDs = death)?! :)

herniated
03-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Good point. Regarding the group A and B thing. I have that situation on Friday. I'm just going to assume that when I get there Thursday they will be able to tell me which group I'm in.

techskater
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
OMG!!! I won't miss the Championship Masters Women's event after all!!! Well, okay, not quite. It would depend on which Interp group I'm in and how long it takes to get the results and how I do. I'm not expecting to medal in either event, so I'll probably look forward to watching it! But *squee*...

Of course, the schedule will be kinda tight between me and my primary coach's other skater in the technical if he wanted to show up for her 20 minute warm-up... he would have to run like hell to make it on time to my FS event!!! 8O

My coach often has this close of a conflict. She's had as little as 30 seconds between skaters at the two different rinks in LP and has made it without problem.

sexyskates
03-24-2008, 09:17 PM
In the last few years it appears that they have been dividing the quarter finals down by age. The younger group has been A and the older group B (or C). Of course, it could be different this year.

mikawendy
03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
In the last few years it appears that they have been dividing the quarter finals down by age. The younger group has been A and the older group B (or C). Of course, it could be different this year.

Yes, IIRC, there's actually a competition rule in the USFS rule book that stipulates dividing qual. groups this way for qualifying and national comps. (I had wondered the same thing last year and looked it up last year. No idea what the rule # is.)

herniated
03-25-2008, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the info. guess I'll be in the 'B' group!!:D

Mel On Ice
03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
that helps me figure that I will probably be in group A for bronze 3, but I'd like confirmation of that all the same.

flo
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Nova - anytime! I'll pm you my cell number. Also, my coach will be there- exceptional pairs coach!

jazzpants
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
that helps me figure that I will probably be in group A for bronze 3, but I'd like confirmation of that all the same.
Geez... I'm 40 and right on the cusp, so I'm 50-50 A and B still! I guess I'll know when I get there! :roll:

Anyone know about the airport shuttle thing? Besides my check being cashed, how do I get confirmation on the my airport shuttle ride? Who do I call when I get to Albany and need a ride there?

NoVa Sk8r
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Nova - anytime! I'll pm you my cell number. Also, my coach will be there- exceptional pairs coach!Thanx! I'm not sure that my partner will be receptive to any comments/suggestions/critiques! Our coaches are good (we recently started working with Jonathon Hunt), but we focus mainly on throws, lifts, and pair spins.

If we skate on the same practice sessions, maybe we will do some impromptu death spirals. 8-)

skaternum
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanx! I'm not sure that my partner will be receptive to any comments/suggestions/critiques!
I'm the same way. I don't want any corrections & comments from anybody except my coaches, and I really don't want it immediately before I compete. At that point, it's too late to "fix" anything, and all it does is mess with your technique (or worse, your head!).

We had a bronze level judge around here who is, herself, an adult skater. She had very little experience judging pairs and NO experience skating pairs, but she felt obligated to offer her commentary on our practice session at the New Years Invitational the very first time we ever competed in pairs. Um, no thanks! :roll:

starskate6.0
03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I tend to agree with this . My coach can't be there unless I pay for the hotel ,travel etc, Lets face it where all Adults, Weve had all the coaching we need to that point and now its up to us. If you can afford to bring your coach along then bless you and Im happy for all of you.. :mrgreen: . But to have someone elses Ideas at the last minute is confusing when your trying to remember everything you have been taught from your coaches. Where adults , we can put ourselves on the ice ,, all we need is the support of our friends.. :D and lots of applause.. We have to do the rest.. The practice is over its just enough time to warm up and get used to the ice and just let fly , come what may.. :D

We will have a blast cheering each other on and doing our best to entertain you. I wish my coach could be there . She is a good Egg and very talented coach but i can't afford to have her come to lake Placid as well.. Best of luck to all the skaters and (coaches if you can make it ) . If you like to have someone put you on the ice then so be it and I wish you the best as well.. have fun..
:D No offense to Flo , she is a good Egg and the offer is kind..

herniated
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I think flo was just trying to be nice. I don't know if she's a coach or not but sometimes you just wish someone was there for you. I thought it was a nice gesture.

I also have put myself on the ice MANY times and all worked out great but there have been times when I could have used some guidance or words of encouragement even if it were from a friend. I also understand there are some people that you do not want advice from. We have plenty of those at our rinks too.

starskate6.0
03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanx! I'm not sure that my partner will be receptive to any comments/suggestions/critiques! Our coaches are good (we recently started working with Jonathon Hunt), but we focus mainly on throws, lifts, and pair spins.

If we skate on the same practice sessions, maybe we will do some impromptu death spirals. 8-)
I think your coach must be doing some great things for you guys . Your where great . I loved the number... :mrgreen:

starskate6.0
03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Went to the Doctor yesteday and things are improving . Im walking again and can go back to work. Still bruised badly over 1/3 of my lower body. should be back on the ice around the first week in April ( a different color ) but back on the ice. I may only get a couple of day's on the ice before Nationals.
I have new blades , ( Im trying something new Pat 99) so Ill have to get used to new blades as well , there already mounted . ( Im looking for a miracle in spinning ) This will be fun....:roll:
Whats life without a challenge "eh"...:mrgreen:

NoVa Sk8r
03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I think your coach must be doing some great things for you guys . Your where great . I loved the number... :mrgreen:I choreographed most of the number after having numerous scheduling conflicts with several choreographers. Skating to "Spartacus" (or Sporadicus, depending on one's viewpoint), I used YouTube and Netflix to get some ideas on previous skating programs and the ballet.

I'm the same way. I don't want any corrections & comments from anybody except my coaches, and I really don't want it immediately before I compete. At that point, it's too late to "fix" anything, and all it does is mess with your technique (or worse, your head!).And I was half being facetious with flo. I hate having my own coach(es) rinkside at competition time, but sometimes an element goes awry and a phrase or two from an independent observer is all it takes to correct the error.

sexyskates
03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey Star!
Although you are bruised, I'm glad to hear that you have now recovered enough to skate! You're a real trooper to come through all this. See you at Lake Placid, hopefully competing in Championship Gold Men - I'll cheer from the stands!

flo
03-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think anyone, including coaches, putting a skater on or being there at practices has any intentions of "changing" anything. It's primarily to re-inforce what the skater already knows, has heard a million times, and as Nova said an "independent" observer picks up right away. I've been competing long enough to know what suggestions to take, and what not to. Sometimes it's just nice to have a friend there to hold your water bottle and guards and smile. I also know that some of the things said to me before I got on to compete is what I've remembered. Even as an experienced competitor, I appreciated it at one nats when (because my coach had to leave early) a friend put us on, then ran up into the stands to watch. At previous nationals, our coach has also made arrangements with other coaches to be there at practices and I like having the different view points. I don't find it confusing at all, but benefit from each coach's or friend's strength.

Thank you herniated, I do teach adults and often stand in at events to put people on. What I do depends on their needs and what their coach tells me! I know that many skaters can not have their coach there and some appreciate an encouraging word or two.

mikawendy
03-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Geez... I'm 40 and right on the cusp, so I'm 50-50 A and B still! I guess I'll know when I get there! :roll:

The age division within A/B groups is relative to the ages of the other entrants, just for the purposes of dividing into evenly sized groups. So it's not based on an absolute age but your age relative to those in your class/event.

jazzpants
03-26-2008, 01:45 AM
The age division within A/B groups is relative to the ages of the other entrants, just for the purposes of dividing into evenly sized groups. So it's not based on an absolute age but your age relative to those in your class/event.
Thanks for the clarification, mikawendy.

Still, the guess whether I'm in A or B still remains at 50-50... :roll: :lol: :P Based on my experience at Skate SF, there aren't that many Bronze skaters that are in Group III that are younger than me. If anything it just seems like I keep running into the skaters that are slightly older than me or even on the verge of moving up next year to Group IV. YMMV, however!!! (Now when I was competing in Group II, I keep running into the young'ums in Group I's!!! LOL!!!)

Doesn't matter... I'll be happy competing with either groups! I have friends in both!!! LOL!!!

skaternum
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I didn't mean to imply that flo's offer wasn't generous, because it was very graciously offered. I was just commenting that some people (including me) are delighted to have somebody "put us on" the ice -- hold the kleenex & blade guards, watch the clock, etc. -- but we don't want any hints, tips, observations, or comments, regardless of how kindly or subtly they are offered. It messes with our heads right before a competition. And goodness knows, we've got enough demons in there already before we take the ice. :twisted:

doubletoe
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm the same way. I don't want any corrections & comments from anybody except my coaches, and I really don't want it immediately before I compete. At that point, it's too late to "fix" anything, and all it does is mess with your technique (or worse, your head!).

We had a bronze level judge around here who is, herself, an adult skater. She had very little experience judging pairs and NO experience skating pairs, but she felt obligated to offer her commentary on our practice session at the New Years Invitational the very first time we ever competed in pairs. Um, no thanks! :roll:

On the other hand, sometimes an element will start going haywire in the practice sessions at Nationals and if your coach isn't there, it can be a lifesaver to have another coach available to consult in case of emergency. Last year another skater offered her coach's services to me in case I needed them and it was very reassuring to know I had a backup. Of course, unsolicited advice right before a competition is another story.

jazzpants
03-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Okay, in my foodie and "learning the ways of Americana" quest, my DH suggest I try a "beef on weck.". He said it's something unique to the NY state. (Yes, in my few visits to NYC, I have never had one.) Does anyone know where I can get one while I'm at LP?

TIA!

vesperholly
03-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Does anyone know how long the unofficial practices are? Thanks.

NoVa Sk8r
03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Okay, in my foodie and "learning the ways of Americana" quest, my DH suggest I try a "beef on weck.". He said it's something unique to the NY state.I think that is more of a Central/Western New York food (i.e., Buffalo), rather than an Upstate NY food.

saras
03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I think that is more of a Central/Western New York food (i.e., Buffalo), rather than an Upstate NY food.

I think it's even pretty localized to Buffalo specifically - I live an hour away from Buffalo (Rochester) and have to say I have never seen it on a menu here. I'm just a sample of one though - so don't quote me ;)

blue111moon
03-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I can't say I've ever seen or heard of it in the eastern half of NY State. I KNOW I've never seen it on any of the menus in Lake Placid.

My guess is that it's a regional specialty - and that region isn't Upstate/Lakes Region.

pedonskates
03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I now live in Tucson, but a "beef on weck" or it might be "wick?" is just a roast beef sandwich. The roll is nothing exciting as far as I know. They sometimes have them at fairs and festivals.

The other weird western New York thing is a "white hot" which is a white hot dog. I think it tastes weird but others swear by them. I have had to import them for people. Not to be confused with a "red hot" which is not spicy as I once believed but a normal hot dog.

Lake Placid isn't western NY though.

Just my thoughts.....

Brenda

MusicSkateFan
03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
A Buffalo Native here....Beef on Weck is roast beef on a Kimmelweck bun/roll that is a Western NY speciality. The beef is dipped in the au jui (fr spelling sorry) before being placed on the fairly soft roll/bun that has been baked with coarse salt on the top along with caraway seeds. It is a delicious sandwich and is great with a good strong brew! YUM!!!!!

There are several Buffalo taverns, etc. that have this on the menu. I forget the name of my favorite but it closed I beleive. It was on Union rd in Cheektowaga (Buffalo Suburb) right near Route 400. I used to go there after my clarinet lesson with a member of the Buffalo Philharmonic and have a Beef on Weck and several brewskis!

Ahh the good old Buffalo Days....Dont do those things here in DC...not with skating at 6am every day!

On another note.....NO WFSC Send off for the adult skaters this year. I am sad!

TimDavidSkate
03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
If you guys havent signed up for practice ice, here is the contact:

Mary Elizabeth Wightman
518-523-1655 ext. 295
Email: mwightman@orda.org

And have your credit card handy :halo:

Mel On Ice
03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
And have your credit card handy :halo:

I'm afraid mine is already screaming for mercy. :giveup:

Stormy
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm afraid mine is already screaming for mercy. :giveup:

Mine too!! :giveup: I already signed up for practice ice though....do we know when that schedule comes out?

TimDavidSkate
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Same here, I have to use a different one when I arrive at LP... For Food, DVD, photo CD, and other misc. expense :giveup:

flo
03-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I received my practice ice schedule for Sunday - Tuesday in the mail.

starskate6.0
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Im not ready to give up yet . Went to the doctor today. Not good news :(
but there is still a chance . I am walking fine but unable to run . This of course means unable to skate. The Doctor tell me my chances are 50/50 of making it on the ice at Nationals and even then there may be no practice at all prior to getting there . I hope he is wrong but for now I have to believe it.
I am hoping for a return to the ice about April 3rd, get a couple of days at home on the ice here to get used to the new blades and go through the program a couple of times then jump in the car and off to Nationals.

Worst case Ill just have to get on the ice and get a little practice when I get there or just go and hope Im back on the ice by Oberstdorf, In any case ill be there even if i just watch you guy's . Im still convinced Im going to make it. :mrgreen: I just have to convince my body..

phoenix
03-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Vesperholly--

I competed at LP a couple years ago at the dance competition. All their solo events are also on the 1932 rink. As it turned out, I was glad, because I was pretty freaked out about being at that competition, competing against kids, etc. But when I walked in & saw that rink, which is pretty much just a ratty old rink like we all skate at every day, that helped settle me down. Nothing so grand as the 1980 rink & it helped w/ my nerves. Hope that will be the result for you too!! Good luck at AN!!

The only thing I'm a little sad about is that Silver is on the 1932 rink, not the 1980 rink, but you can't win 'em all.

jazzpants
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I received my practice ice schedule for Sunday - Tuesday in the mail.
So did I, with the registration letter and the theme for the competitor's party. I *still* don't know which group I'm in for both FS and interp though. :roll:

(Okay, how does one dress up like a "Hollywood movie star?" You guys in LA help me buy a clue here (besides sunglasses?) :lol: And no, I intend to not do a "Britney" show either, if you know what I mean...)

((((starskate6.0)))) You know that crazy sci-fi movie with Tim Burton line? "Never give up! Never surrender!!!" Hang in there!!!

doubletoe
03-28-2008, 01:26 PM
So did I, with the registration letter and the theme for the competitor's party. I *still* don't know which group I'm in for both FS and interp though. :roll:

(Okay, how does one dress up like a "Hollywood movie star?" You guys in LA help me buy a clue here (besides sunglasses?) :lol: And no, I intend to not do a "Britney" show either, if you know what I mean...)

((((starskate6.0)))) You know that crazy sci-fi movie with Tim Burton line? "Never give up! Never surrender!!!" Hang in there!!!

Sunglasses are only half of the Hollywood celebrity uniform. In L.A., nothing screams, "I'm famous!" like sunglasses and a baseball cap, LOL!
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/8c8b3290-2b08-4dc6-8e3e-2cc645fdfe05/070228_affleck.jpg?size=ds

flo
03-28-2008, 01:36 PM
re: party..... And I thought it was a chance to go vintage. My event's on Thursday, so I'm not sure how long I'll stay. We have the house from Sunday to Sunday.

Anyone here going?

MusicSkateFan
03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
If I skate well, I will go to the party and whoop it up! Maybe bring my tux for that Red Carpet Hollywood Thang;) ;) . If I skate like I did in Chicago, I will sit in my hotel room, look at my hotel bill and drink by myself:cry: :cry: :cry:

vesperholly
03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
The other weird western New York thing is a "white hot" which is a white hot dog. I think it tastes weird but others swear by them. I have had to import them for people. Not to be confused with a "red hot" which is not spicy as I once believed but a normal hot dog.
WNYer all my life and I never heard of a white hot dog. Red hot, yes.

I bet it'd be easier to get poutine in LP than beef on weck.

All their solo events are also on the 1932 rink. As it turned out, I was glad, because I was pretty freaked out about being at that competition, competing against kids, etc. But when I walked in & saw that rink, which is pretty much just a ratty old rink like we all skate at every day, that helped settle me down. Nothing so grand as the 1980 rink & it helped w/ my nerves.
That's the point ... I don't want to skate on a crappy rink like always. I want the nice one! :)

herniated
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
re: party..... And I thought it was a chance to go vintage. My event's on Thursday, so I'm not sure how long I'll stay. We have the house from Sunday to Sunday.

Anyone here going?

I am going!! I thought of the vintage thing too but then decided it would be too much work. So I'll probably just get really dressed up.:D

herniated
03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
If I skate well, I will go to the party and whoop it up! Maybe bring my tux for that Red Carpet Hollywood Thang;) ;) . If I skate like I did in Chicago, I will sit in my hotel room, look at my hotel bill and drink by myself:cry: :cry: :cry:

Please don't drink by yourself when there are so many of us who would drink with you!!!:lol: And speaking of bills... I just went for a fitting for new boots and was presented with the bill of $700 just for the boots. Yeah!! and the blades will be another $400! double Yeah!! This wasn't a shock to me well it kinda was, but I knew the prices would go up in 4 years time(boots are 4 yrs. old).

happysk8tes
03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
WNYer all my life and I never heard of a white hot dog. Red hot, yes.

I bet it'd be easier to get poutine in LP than beef on weck.

That's the point ... I don't want to skate on a crappy rink like always. I want the nice one! :)

I don't think it's a crappy rink. The outside doors feature sketched pictures of Sonja Henie and Jack Shae (32 Olympic winners). Last August I was fortunate to attend the last Saturday night skating show held in this rink. The show was a tribute to the "Spin Dr" coach Evelyn Kramer. Dick Button was in rare form as the Master of Ceremony. Marie France Dubreul and Patrice Lazone were the special awesome guest skaters. And an Adult Group was in the show - they skated to "Somewhere" and it was wonderful to see them.

Here's hoping very good vibes will come your way. : ) My friend is skating in this rink and she thinks it's a good one for her Interpretive dramtic event.

Pat

daisies
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know how long the unofficial practices are? Thanks.
They are 45 minutes.

Consider yourself lucky you are on the 1932 rink, since there's no practice on the 1980 rink until the competition starts!

jazzpants
03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I now live in Tucson, but a "beef on weck" or it might be "wick?" is just a roast beef sandwich. The roll is nothing exciting as far as I know. They sometimes have them at fairs and festivals.

The other weird western New York thing is a "white hot" which is a white hot dog. I think it tastes weird but others swear by them. I have had to import them for people. Not to be confused with a "red hot" which is not spicy as I once believed but a normal hot dog. My husband also mentioned buffalo wings but it already made its way to the West Coast.

Lake Placid isn't western NY though.Yeah, as I was reading more about "Beef on Weck" (as in Kummelweck bread), I figured it's probably not that big to try. If I could just get the Kummelweck bread, that should be good enough for that "experience" I think.

Yes, I've heard of a "red hot" too. Sounds REALLY good too! And after Googling what a "poutine" is... :P :yum:

If I skate like I did in Chicago, I will sit in my hotel room, look at my hotel bill and drink by myself:cry: :cry: :cry:MSF... as herniated said... and besides, I got my own bills to deal with just to go on this trip. It's not pretty, I tell 'ya. 8O (Okay, I'm not a drinker myself. How about a group lunch or dinner where we can totally screw up my diet for the day!!! :twisted: )

flo
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I was happy to find out I was in the 32 rink for interpretive. It's more intimate - there's a better connection with the audience.

Drinks all around! I have a travel martini shaker.

MusicSkateFan
03-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh Jazzpants! Trust me I do the Junk Food/ Carb-a-palooza after any competition! On my way home from Easterns (AKA EASTONS) I stopped at the trashy rest stop had 2 Nathans Hot dogs with fries and then chased it down with a Cinnabon! I almost tossed my cookies on the Del MAR Bridge cause I had such a stomach ache! It was heaven!:P :P :yum: :yum: :yum:

herniated
03-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh Jazzpants! Trust me I do the Junk Food/ Carb-a-palooza after any competition! On my way home from Easterns (AKA EASTONS) I stopped at the trashy rest stop had 2 Nathans Hot dogs with fries and then chased it down with a Cinnabon! I almost tossed my cookies on the Del MAR Bridge cause I had such a stomach ache! It was heaven!:P :P :yum: :yum: :yum:

I love it 'Carb-a-palooza':lol: That's priceless! I like your chaser. I usually go for the bacon burger with fries and a coke!!

jazzpants
03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm actually eyeing the burgers... with lots of cheddar, sauteed onions and mushies... cheddar fries.... The other option is probably some good Italian or French food!!!

Wash it down with some good ice cream. Ben & Jerry's or gelatos.... :P :P :yum: :yum: :yum:

Of course, since it's totally gonna screw my dairy allergy.... better have a bathroom nearby for me there!!! :oops: :giveup:

(Aaaahh... screw the "Beef on Weck." I think it's more for my hubby than for me, personally... since he lived in Buffalo for a couple of years. ;) )

starskate6.0
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Hey Jazz
Im don't know any of the Tim Burton movies but I thank you for thinking of me..:D

sexyskates
03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Starskate!
It sounds like you are willing your body to heal quickly, and I think you'll be on the ice for AN. Keep practicing your program in your head through visualization in the mean time!

See you in LP!

daisies
03-28-2008, 08:10 PM
You know that crazy sci-fi movie with Tim Burton line? "Never give up! Never surrender!!!"

That's from "Galaxy Quest" -- not a Tim Burton movie, but an awesome movie nevertheless! It actually stars Tim Allen ... maybe that's who you meant. ;)

jazzpants
03-28-2008, 11:09 PM
That's from "Galaxy Quest" -- not a Tim Burton movie, but an awesome movie nevertheless! It actually stars Tim Allen ... maybe that's who you meant. ;)
Right you are, daisies. Thx!!! ;) Yeah, that's who I meant. And it was an awesome movie! :mrgreen:

Figureskates
03-29-2008, 04:32 AM
I don't think it's a crappy rink. The outside doors feature sketched pictures of Sonja Henie and Jack Shae (32 Olympic winners). Last August I was fortunate to attend the last Saturday night skating show held in this rink. The show was a tribute to the "Spin Dr" coach Evelyn Kramer. Dick Button was in rare form as the Master of Ceremony. Marie France Dubreul and Patrice Lazone were the special awesome guest skaters. And an Adult Group was in the show - they skated to "Somewhere" and it was wonderful to see them.

Here's hoping very good vibes will come your way. : ) My friend is skating in this rink and she thinks it's a good one for her Interpretive dramtic event.

Pat

I was at the same show and it is not a crappy rink..it is full of a lot of history.

The Adult Group was from the adults who were there during the Adult Week..it was fortunate that they had Evelyn's tribute the same week we were there for adult week.

We are heading for Lake Placid on the 6th for a week to catch AN.

techskater
03-29-2008, 05:24 AM
I think the person who said the 32 was a crappy rink was speaking in relation to the 80 rink. I know after skating in the 80 rink, that skating on the 32 rink IS disappointing! ;)

Jazz - Lake Placid Pub and Brewery is probably going to be the Friday night hang out for me after Interp is over (at 9 whatever. UGH!). Microbrew and a blue cheese burger. :yum:

Figureskates
03-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Jazz - Lake Placid Pub and Brewery is probably going to be the Friday night hang out for me after Interp is over (at 9 whatever. UGH!). Microbrew and a blue cheese burger. :yum:

My favorite hangout..Nothing like a Frostbite Ale...now called Lake Placid IPA to wash it down..can't forget the smores too!

It will be a fun week since I basically go incognito all week since I am not competing! :halo:

Stormy
03-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm dissapointed too I'm not in the 80 rink, but them's the breaks. I'm just thrilled to be going, and ready to bring it and skate well....and have lots of fun after I am done skating! I do really like that I'm skating Wednesday. Last year I came in on Tuesday and skated Friday and that made for a really long week of waiting. This time it's done and over fast and I have the rest of the time to enjoy myself.

flying~camel
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Both of my events are on the 80 rink, which is both really cool and really intimidating!

Thankfully, one of the rinks I skate at pretty regularly is Olympic-sized, so that part shouldn't be a problem, but I've never alone skated in a big arena before! 8O

starskate6.0
03-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Size doesn't matter. :lol:

A Little advise on stadium skating . I am always thrilled to skate in rinks and buildings where so many famous people have gone before . After 7 years with the Disney shows, I would like to share some of my thoughts with some who need a little push to go out there in such a famous arena .

I have had the pleasure of skating in most of the large arena in the US and around the World ( As a chorus skater of course ) and each is different.
We once played in Radio City Music hall NY . This famous theater had seen the likes of stars i could never have imagined . We had only 1/3 the ice we normally skate on . " yes" I was only a chorus boy , but even then I was very nervous and yet thrilled about playing in this historic building. The ice was brought in , they had to build over the first 6 rows to make it work at all.

There where no foot lights , the spot lights where almost eye level and most of the sky lights blinded you so we could not see past the 3rd row. We counted every step and rehursed for 3 weeks before we opened there.
One wrong step and you went into someones lap. This is what helped me way back then..

I reminded my self that I was part of a bigger picture that the show was dependent on every skater doing there part. ( star or chorus.) With this in mind I did the job and the show ran smoothly because it was up to everyone of us to perform our part to make the show look flawless. Little mistakes are not notice so much as long as the overall performance is there, and as an Adult skater i make lots of those little mistakes... ;) .The point is, in this arena YOU are the show and small errors ( if you make any ) can be overlooked if you perform and give your audience a performance to stand and get excited about. The big advantage here is that we are all of like mind as adult skaters we are here to cheer each other on and to support each other. here is a couple of practical show tips..
1. Look above the 6th row or higher. This is called projecting , send that energy level to the bleachers .It shows confidence .
2. When they announce your name , stand tall , look up and greet your audience .. :D

3. The training is over , relax and give them a show , the rest will happen..

Some may look at this as nostalgic Bla bla.. and "Yes" I make mistakes like anyone else. But when the lights come on and my name is announced I am a different person , granted Im not great at this skating thing.. But iv always believed that the size of the rink is not whats important but the performer who makes all that magic come to life.... Skate well and perform.

I wish you all great performances...

mikawendy
03-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Sunglasses are only half of the Hollywood celebrity uniform. In L.A., nothing screams, "I'm famous!" like sunglasses and a baseball cap, LOL!

And don't forget the "entourage" of personal assistant, stylist, etc., too! :D

TimDavidSkate
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
8 more days :mrgreen:

jazzpants
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
And don't forget the "entourage" of personal assistant, stylist, etc., too! :DWell, my hairdresser and one of my personal trainers will be on site while I'm at Lake Placid? Does that count? :P :lol:

Okay, guys!!! Those of you that are going thru the airport shuttle... how do I get a ride from them from Albany to Lake Placid? Do I call ORDA or the airport shuttle? I have no clue how to find them. :?? (I apologize for asking a million and one questions! Obviously, I'm a bit nervous about traveling to LP since this is my first one...)

flo
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Jazz, when are you arriving?

doubletoe
03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Both of my events are on the 80 rink, which is both really cool and really intimidating!

Thankfully, one of the rinks I skate at pretty regularly is Olympic-sized, so that part shouldn't be a problem, but I've never alone skated in a big arena before! 8O

Yes, the thought of competing in an Olympic arena has been making me 8O as well. I think I'd be fine if I knew I was going to have a chance to practice on that ice surface before the competition, but it looks like no practice sessions--not even my official 20 minute practice--will be held there. I can't believe my first skate in a big arena will be the actual competition! :(

jazzpants
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Jazz, when are you arriving?
Late Monday night. Will probably be crashing Monday night and get in my practice ice and small personal training session on Tuesday to get acclaimated to the higher altitude. (Well, higher for someone who comes from pretty much sea level...)

starskate6.0
03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
"OK" Im confused ( again)

Didn't we all get a letter showing our practice ice schedule at AN ??
If we booked any ?
And didn't that letter say that all the practice ice up till Tuesday was booked and that additional practice ice would be available day to day..
Ex: Book Tuesday for practice Wednesday
Book Wednesday , for practice Thursday etc etc.. :roll:

I just shot an E-mail off to someone at Lake placid a couple of day's ago requesting some ice time but was told I had it all wrong and no solution .
Does this mean that all the practice ice is gone ?? or am I all screwed up here.. :roll:

LWalsh
03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I received an e-mail today confirming that the practice ice wed-sat will only be sold the day before each session.

LW

starskate6.0
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I received an e-mail today confirming that the practice ice wed-sat will only be sold the day before each session.

LW
OK thanks. I guess Ill just try and pick something up while im there. I may not be well enough to skate till the week of Nationals anyway..
Thanks..

sexyskates
03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
You can still book practice ice through Tuesday by phone and credit card. My request for practice on Tuesday was apparently was lost -(or did I forget to send?), but a quick phone call fixed the situation. For the rest of the week we have to wait until we get there.

sk8er1964
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
OK thanks. I guess Ill just try and pick something up while im there. I may not be well enough to skate till the week of Nationals anyway..
Thanks..

Getting practice ice at the event can be daunting. Long lines - give yourself lots of time. At least it was last time.

TimDavidSkate
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
March 21, 2008

Dear Competitor:

Welcome to the 2008 U.S. Adult Championships, hosted by the Skating Club of Lake Placid and sponsored by U.S. Figure Skating. The local organization committee (LOC) has been working very hard to make this a pleasant and rewarding experience for you. The Committee hopes it will add to your knowledge of skating and will encourage good sportsmanship.

I would like to take this opportunity to share some competition information with you:

 Your event will never start ahead of scheduled, posted time. Some events may start late because of extenuating circumstances. Please check in with the ice monitor 1 hour before your event is scheduled to begin.
 Check your skates carefully before you come out onto the ice. Help prevent accidents and delays caused by loose laces and blade screws. Check you clothing, hair bows, clips or other apparel to be sure everything is securely fastened.
 Please have a second music CD handy in case a replacement is needed. Have this with you at the boards during the event. During your event, if your music doesn’t sound right to you (wrong speed, wrong music) you must notify the referee within the first 30 seconds of the program.
 If your program is interrupted for any reason (except as noted above), you will be asked to resume from the point of interruption.

For events with qualifying rounds:

 Bronze Ladies III: top 6 from each group go to final round.
 Bronze Ladies IV: top 4 from each group go to final round.
 Silver Ladies III: top 4 from each group go to final round.
 Silver Ladies IV: top 6 from each group go to final round.
 Gold Ladies III: top 6 from each group go to final round.

There will be no final rounds for interpretive events.

Warm up times for each event:

 Singles Free Skate: 6 minutes (with groups up to 6 skaters)
 Singles Interpretive: 5 minutes (with groups up to 7 skaters)
 Pairs Free Skate: 6 minutes (with groups up to 4 teams)
 Compulsory Dance: 4 minutes; one minute without music followed by 3 minutes with music (with groups up to 5 teams)
 Original Dance: 5 minutes (with groups up to 5 teams)

If you have any questions about an event, please ask to speak to the event referee at the registration desk. The LOC will find us for you.

Finally, I’d like to wish each of you good luck and a safe and exciting 2008 Adult Championships!

Sincerely,

Lynn Goldman, Chief Referee
2008 U.S. Adult Championships

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Your event will never start ahead of scheduled, posted time.

You're lucky! In the UK, events may start anything up to 30 minutes early, and they expect you to know that, so you're required to be ready and waiting 30 minutes in advance. They are not allowed to start more than 30 minutes early, though. Plus we don't get the 6-minute warm-ups you are used to; ours are firmly 1 minute longer than our programmes. 3 minutes per dance for ice-dancers, though.

But then, we do have open marking, which you don't, and our podiums are usually, although not invariably, on-ice, so.... swings and roundabouts!

rlichtefeld
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
[/i]You're lucky! In the UK, events may start anything up to 30 minutes early, and they expect you to know that, so you're required to be ready and waiting 30 minutes in advance. They are not allowed to start more than 30 minutes early, though. Plus we don't get the 6-minute warm-ups you are used to; ours are firmly 1 minute longer than our programmes. 3 minutes per dance for ice-dancers, though.

But then, we do have open marking, which you don't, and our podiums are usually, although not invariably, on-ice, so.... swings and roundabouts!

The never early rule is not usual for most events here. Only Nationals and Adult Nationals as far as I know. At most local events, the events can go early, and then you wait at the ice cuts to get back to normal time.

Rob

jazzpants
04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm in the older III group!!!! :P (God! I feel old already!!! :oops: )

Ladies Bronze FS 3 QR B - Wed. 1:25pm (1980)
Ladies Interpretative 3 LE/C Group B - Sat. around 4:20pm (1932)

herniated
04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm in group A for Fri Interp AD III. I don't know anymore if group B is for the older skaters in the catagory. I'm 44 years old, isn't that toward the end of the age classification for catagory III?

jazzpants
04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm in group A for Fri Interp AD III. I don't know anymore if group B is for the older skaters in the catagory. I'm 44 years old, isn't that toward the end of the age classification for catagory III?
Good point! Who knows... I mean...I made the comment about my being in the "older group" tongue firmly in cheek! I always thought it was by REGIONS, not age groups, personally. :P

doubletoe
04-01-2008, 05:45 PM

I'm 43 and I just found out I'm in group A and so is another skater who is around my age. Last year both of us were in Group B, so maybe the groups are still divided the same way but they have the older skaters in A and younger skaters in B this year. . . ?

Black Sheep
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
and Group B for Masters Ladies Interp III LE/C. However, the sked on the website does not say if my Interp group is on the 1980 or the 1932 rink! :roll:

daisies
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm 43 and I just found out I'm in group A and so is another skater who is around my age. Last year both of us were in Group B, so maybe the groups are still divided the same way but they have the older skaters in A and younger skaters in B this year. . . ?

It could also be random draw.

Black Sheep
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM

You could be right! 8-)

herniated
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Whatever it is.. it doesn't really matter to me. Just curious how they make up the two different groups.:D

jazzpants
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Geez, daisies! You just *HAVE* to take the fun out of speculating!?!?!?!? :twisted: :P :lol: (I'm just kiddin' 'ya!!! I look forward to seeing you and your gorgeous edges too!!! :bow: )

daisies
04-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Geez, daisies! You just *HAVE* to take the fun out of speculating!?!?!?!? :twisted: :P :lol: (I'm just kiddin' 'ya!!! I look forward to seeing you and your gorgeous edges too!!! :bow: )

You know me, I'm all business! hahaha ... thank you, I look forward to seeing you too!