View Full Version : How many of us skaters here started out in a Learn to Skate Program?

FSWer
02-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok my skater friends!!!! Time to see what majority of us started out in a Learn to Skate Program. LOL,you all know I did. Who else hear did?

kimberley801
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
I did, and I'm still there! lol...
I'm starting an advanced adult group class next week. Not an official USFSA LTS class, but it's taught at the same time as the rest of the LTS classes.

johns135
02-26-2008, 11:59 PM
I didn't start out that way, but I took the USFSA-LTS program several
years ago, and finished the entire booklet. It is a good program if you
can take it as an advanced recreational skater. We covered Moves in the
Field; several ice dances .. and partnered up; most of the basic jumps
and spins. Learned a lot.

However, I don't recommend it as a beginning student. You learn that
much better on your own in public sessions dodging kids.

johns

kayskate
02-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Took a set of grp lessons when I was a little kid. Never went further w lessons. parents not supportive. However, I continued skating on quad rollers recreationally. When I was in my 20s, I started taking private ice lessons. Now I teach LtS.

Kay

littlekateskate
02-27-2008, 06:28 AM
My daughter is in them now :)

samba
02-27-2008, 06:37 AM
I didnt join the learn to skate course because they didnt at that time, have anything exclusive to adults, and the kids scared the life out of me.

However we now have a very popular adult hour on Sunday which I love to help coaching on, they are a great bunch and really want to learn and listen to your every word. The best part is watching the more mature ones do there first 3 jump, the look of disbelief is priceles.

Skittl1321
02-27-2008, 07:33 AM
I've done a crazy mix of LTS classes:

I took Basic 1 as a kid.
Then I started up when I was twenty-four in a Basic 4 for adults class, switched rinks and went into Adult 2 and 3 in one session, switched rinks and did Delta with kids, stayed at the same rink but they switched programs and did Basic 7 and 8 with kids.

I still take group learn to skate lessons and have passed Freestyle 1-3 in a class that is mixed kids and adults.

Clarice
02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
My daughter and I started in LTS classes, but switched to private lessons after a year. She did Tots through Beta, skipped Delta and Gamma, and was in a lumped-together Freestyle class when she switched. Our adult classes were just called "Beginning", "Intermediate" and "Advanced", and I took each of them once before I switched. I had gotten as far as 3-turns, forward and back crossovers, and waltz jumps.

jskater49
02-27-2008, 08:33 AM
I passed Basic Skills back when there were only six levels and you had to do back 3 turns to pass basic 5. I took private lessons because I could not for the life of me do a backward 3 turn and the volunteer instructor could do no more for me than say "try it again"

I can't do backward 3 turns anymore though.

j

SynchroSk8r114
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I began in USFS group lessons at 8 years old. I'm 22 now and I've been able to pass my Senior MIF 3 years ago. I'm working on getting through my Intermediate freestyle and my last 4 Gold dances! I also skate on a synchronized skating team--we placed 2nd at Eastern Sectionals--and I've been coaching for about 8 years.

phoenix
02-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I started in group LTS & went through FS 1. Then started private lessons, w/ one of my LTS instructors.

jcookie1982
02-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I started out in learn to skate Beta, and then went up to Freestyle 2 and started privates along with weekly groups.

smelltheice
02-27-2008, 10:58 AM
There was no learn to skate program when I started skating. I really feel old after having said that:lol:

Morgail
02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I started in whatever the ISI group class structure was called in the 80s. Did Alpha-Delta, and then started private lessons when I got to FS 1.

I don't remember a lot about it, except that it took me FOREVER (at least it seemed that way when I was a kid!) to pass Beta because of the back crossovers and the t-stop. Oh, and that my mom would always buy me hot chocolate and reese's cups afterwards;)

I also have vague memories of pushing an overturned bucket (one of those big white ones) around the ice. :lol: Don't know what class that was for! Probably whatever the equivalent of pre-alpha was then. I remember liking the way it made a clear path on the ice through the "snow".

Muskoka Skater
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I started out in Canskate since I live in Canada.

Haven't we had a topic like this before?

happysk8tes
02-28-2008, 10:22 AM
I skated as a kid but never had lessons. When my family moved to Maine in 1995 I saw lessons advertised, so called for information as I wanted to sign up my kids. When the USFSA forms arrived, I was delighted to see Adult Lessons were also offered. I signed my husband up, too. One by one, all family members but me dropped out. When Woman's hockey was added to the University's program, the Basic Skills lessons were dropped. I started private lessons, and I've never looked back!

Pat