View Full Version : On the beach or in the snow (Practise Thread 25th-1st)

Muskoka Skater
02-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Just your regular practise thread. "On beach" good, "in the snow" bad. I came with this since lots of my friends are going placing where they get to lie on the beach and I'm just stuck in the snow!

sceptique
02-25-2008, 09:31 AM
On the beach

Now I can strech my legs, relax and be lazy: I passed my Level 2 Field Moves and Elements today!!!

In the snow

I had two reskates, though. Can't have it perfect, can you?

Rusty Blades
02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I am not sure which is the good thing and which isn't 'cause I would rather be at the rink than on the beach anyway ;)

In the snow: Although it was a day off for me, I was up before 4 a.m. and made the hour drive to skate. (Who's totally NUTS!!??) I skipped the Friday session because I was so stiff and time is counting down to Nationals so I didn't want to be short a session.

I was so stiff in warm-up that I didn't think it was going to be a very good day. Spins and turns were making me dizzy, my head stuffed up, and I was suddenly very warm - crap! Don't have time to be sick .... maybe it was just a hot flash - LOL!

On the beach: When coach arrived, we listened to an alternative piece of music for my Interpretive and decided to go with the alternative. We worked through the first third of the program - not too bad - then through the middle third and decided to move it to the end and come up with a new middle. No too shabby for a Monday :)

In the snow: I decided to go in to the office for a few hours (making up time for all my skating) but shouldn't have. I took a hard candy from the candy dish at the front desk and broke a tooth - oh wonderful! Now I have to fit in a dentist appointment before Nationals to - GRRR!

Sessy
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
2 year skating anniversary!
Skating group lessons 6 months a year, basically. I'm angry at the people who told me I couldn't skate when I was 11, I'd be so much further if I had and the confidence skating gave me - I could really have used it back in highschool. But I didn't start then, there's no changing the past, and so I'll just have to kick butt at 20. Here's a video of today's skating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSOpExD9Lac

BTW my newly acquired clockwise jumps are included. :twisted:
Criticism is most welcome!!! :bow:

doubletoe
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Skating group lessons 6 months a year, basically. I'm angry at the people who told me I couldn't skate when I was 11, I'd be so much further if I had and the confidence skating gave me - I could really have used it back in highschool. But I didn't start then, there's no changing the past, and so I'll just have to kick butt at 20. Here's a video of today's skating:

Wow, I am :bow: :bow: at your CW jumping progress! I cannot do that.

On the back power 3's, keep the free leg in front the entire time (the position on the entrance to each back outside 3-turn is just like a loop jump).

On the sitspin, see if you can do your entrance edge on a more deeply bent knee (think 90 degree knee bend). If you don't enter on a deeply bent knee, it's very hard to get into a low enough position once you enter the spin. Keep your back strong and arched and keep the free leg extended way back behind you, straight and pointed, then keep it extended (but low) as you swing it all the way to the front like a pendulum. Don't let it slow down, just turn the foot out once it reaches 2:00 and let it collide with the skating leg. Then lower your butt and push your chest and free leg forward, keeping your back tight and arched. The goal is to feel the calf of your skating leg against the inside of the thigh of your free leg. That means your skating leg thigh is parallel to the ice.

Sessy
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah you keep telling me that about the sitspin and I keep not being able to do it for some reason. Sorry about that. :frus:
Maybe I should just try harder. Thanks!!!

doubletoe
02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah you keep telling me that about the sitspin and I keep not being able to do it for some reason. Sorry about that. :frus:
Maybe I should just try harder. Thanks!!!

No, I should apologizing for repeating myself like a broken record, LOL! I should have remembered that I'd already mentioned that before. But I think the really tight, arched back on the entrance edge and during the spin really helps. I feel like the mid/lower back is where the power comes from on the sitspin.

Sessy
02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Well repetition is the key to learning, my great-gradma used to say. :bow:

looplover
02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
In the Snow: My post, because I wrote a long one and it's not here so I must have just hit preview and not submit, lol.

Flips. Flips. Flips. Oy vey. Eh I could just repeat my post from Saturday. Suffice to say I am relearning them as if I'd never learned them before. Boy, can I do a great flip on the carpet. Sigh. However, at the end of my lesson I did one. I've been leaning over too far and as a result not transferring my weight. I'm leaning over because flips freak me out. Not good. Camel spin - nope.

On the beach: Sit spins! Today I did the best one I've ever done. I felt my lower leg against my thigh and it was fast - and I was actually able to get out of it and turn it into a scratch spin so I was thrilled. Footwork was ok today too.

coskater64
02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
I will be testing my silver moves on Thursday, coach is happy with them and hopefully all will go well.

Preparing for Mids, I am doing jr/sr moves which I was not sure I could manage because of issues with my RBI 3 turns, double 3 and RI/ RO rockers, okay the enter sustained edge move but, it seems to be getting better, I can actually do the moves they aren't beautiful but they are a good attempt. My rockers are better and continue to improve. I am actually starting to get my quick rockers back from the jr but I am still spooked by the choctaws. Besides I still have to do the gold moves then prepare for all my events at AN, OD and MC.

Camel spins are still awful leg (upper) is at 90 and then we have a little knee bend problem. Sigh...:D

Terri C
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
On the beach:
Salchow that Secondary Coach fixed on Friday is still around. Also had some nice centered sitspins that felt low (my left knee and ankle are sore from bending!).
And add a clean freeskating program to boot!

In the snow:
Trying to practice a Compulsory moves program is hard, since there is no music and you still have to do the elements. No sooner I'd get started that I'd have to abort something or other because of getting cut off. Any ideas out there?

icedancer2
02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
In the snow:
Trying to practice a Compulsory moves program is hard, since there is no music and you still have to do the elements. No sooner I'd get started that I'd have to abort something or other because of getting cut off. Any ideas out there?

Put on some music anyway and wear the vest (if your rink does that) - and use that same music every time you do your compulsory moves "program" as it were. Unless you practice it longer than a few minutes, maybe that would work?

Bill_S
02-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Beach and sunshine: (Yeah, don't I wish! Go away snow!) I got back on the ice today for the first time in about a month due to a terrible case of bronchitis/flu.

I feared that I would have forgotten everything, but I SPANKED some scratch spins without traveling, got deep into my knees for stroking and other elements, and had a ball. It's good to be back! Woo Hoo!

More Beach and sunshine: The photos I took at last week's competition are selling briskly through Shutterfly. It should bring a small but welcome profit to our club.

momsk8er
02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
In the snow: Going on day 4 in new skates. Comfy, but I don't really know how to steer them. I do think they are going to be great though, as I really like the stability, and my edges are nice and solid. Did my first jump today. Spins still suck. Back crossovers - man I really have to bend my knees and lean back into it in order not to scratch my toes.

But all in all On the beach, 'cause I think these are going to be great in the long run!!

jcookie1982
02-25-2008, 08:26 PM

Wow! Your really good for only two years of skating!

Skate@Delaware
02-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Better now than later! At least you have an opportunity NOW so make the most of it! My rink is only 6 miles from my mother's house and I could have ridden my bike there if it was there 20+ years ago. It wasnt so here I am at 46 years of age making the best of it! As you should too (and you are much younger ;) ).

I had to say a teary-eyed good-bye to my Monday night girls. We do have a total restructure of classes, due to the new management. It was different and we were a little confused. All I did was assist and stood in for a few minutes.

I think it's a good thing, though. We have been stagnating with no new growth or new programs. This is a breath of fresh air and although some people were griping, if you don't have new programs you don't get new people and the rink will eventually die.

I'm just sad, as I'm not able to enjoy these last few weeks. I was asked to judge our basic skills comp. I thought that was very nice as I've been wanting to do that AND it isn't skating.

Anyone living in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey, and Delaware who is interested, please visit my club's website and download the application. This will be a rather LARGE competition and promises to be tons of fun!!!! I will brag on my rink-it's pretty nice, only 6 years old! And if you are over 21, you can go to the slots...cha-ching!!!
http://www.baycountryfsc.org/competition%20info/compinfo.htm

mikawendy
02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Anyone living in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey, and Delaware who is interested, please visit my club's website and download the application. This will be a rather LARGE competition and promises to be tons of fun!!!! I will brag on my rink-it's pretty nice, only 6 years old! And if you are over 21, you can go to the slots...cha-ching!!!
http://www.baycountryfsc.org/competition%20info/compinfo.htm

Wow, the entry fees are really reasonable. And $5 for practice ice is a steal (though I'm guessing it would be crowded).

Scarlett
02-25-2008, 09:33 PM
S@D---That looks like a lot of fun. I don't even have the beginnings of a program ready yet, but if I did I would so be there. Good luck. I hope you guys have a great turn out and can offer it next year.

Muskoka Skater
02-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Monday Night

On the beach:
-my double flip
-all my dances

In the snow:
-couldn't do much since I was sick!:cry:

quarkiki2
02-26-2008, 08:40 AM
On the beach: Really good lesson and practice on Saturday AM. Learned my first freeskate program for our rink's competition in April. It's ISI freestyle 2 and I'm doing all of the elements, but repeating spirals and the footwork sequence and the spin. We walked through with music and, if I'm pushing and keep moving, it should fill the 1.5 minutes.

I'm also glad that my coach didn't have me repeat my jumps as, well, I don't particularly care to jump, LOL! Part of the reason I'm interested in doing a program is to help me get over the fear of doing things at a speed faster than molasses, so it's good for me to have the jumps in there to work on that.

Coach and I determined that the trouble spots would be the step behing in the footwork and the 1/2 lutz (as I don't practice those too often). We revisited the footwork sequence and she was pleasantly suprised that my change of edge was very fluid and I was barely scraping into the mohawk. The step behand wasn't quite emerging, but all steps before and after were "perfect." Then we addressed the 1/2 lutz and, from CW crossovers and one left cross as a prep, I wasn't flutzing and was jumping, yippee! Now I just need to work on doing it with more speed and when pushing on the crossovers. Coach actually said my backwards stroking and crossovers were "pretty" so she wanted to include those in the jump prep. This, of course, made me laugh....

We had a new instructor teach the group lesson as our regular was out of town. She's pretty fun and so, naturally, I'm trying to recruit her for our synchro team (as I do any adult who can do back crossovers, LOL!). We started with spins -- I was concentrating on the choctaw and stepping properly and,when she came around, she told me that I didn't need to approach the spin with as much speed or power as I was using. And here I thought I'd been backing of... She was encouraging me to glide through the wind-up with my foot tucked and still on the ice for stability. I felt like I was gonna take a header, but tried. Perhaps that will ease my issue with hesitating to step forward on the choctaw...

In the snow: All of Iowa. I'm so sick of this winter... It's actually making me short-tempered and grumpy...

Rusty Blades
02-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Nice to have you back Bill! {{{HUG}}}

Up to my neck! Yesterday, after skating, the rest of the day went to he!! in a hand basket. Instead of getting lots of rest and going to bed early it ended up being hectic day and late to bed. (Don't even MENTION "Microsoft" or UPS to me!)

At 6:45 this morning, as I am sitting on the bench ready to put on my skates, I was thinking "What in the he!! do I think I am doing?" I am almost 60 (well 58.5) and I am up in the wee hours, drive an hour to the rink in the cold and dark to lace up a pair of skates and pretend I am a teenager? To skate to 1960's Rock & Roll music and fancy myself "a skater". :roll: Gawd! I have reverted to my teens! Only now I am a lot farther from the ice and a lot more breakable! Just what am I trying to accomplish? DUMB!

Since I was only half alive this morning there was no point doing program run-throughs so I worked on my jumps and spins for a bit and then started playing with footwork - I need a footwork sequence for both programs and want something faster and smoother than what I had.

Basking: I did come up with a sequence that seems to work pretty good. The challenge will be to see if I can do the same thing again on Thursday.

Skittl1321
02-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Learned my first freeskate program for our rink's competition in April.

I cannot wait to see it!! Hopefully I'll start on mine tonight- still don't know if it's going to be ISI 2 or 3.

Sessy
02-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Rustyblades I think you're too hard on yourself. You can't order your heart not to love.

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
But= I'd infinitely prefer a snow holiday to a beach one! Beaches are dull - nowhere to skate, and if you go for a walk you have to come back the same way.

After a week away, I thought I'd forgotten how to skate this morning! All was well, except that I can't do some of the steps in our new free dance, but I said that about some of the steps that I now do far better than I ever thought I would a few weeks ago, so I'm not too bothered! Sadly, I still can't do a rocker solo (and really not very well partnered, either), so practicing my rocker, back-3, cross-roll 3 isn't very practical, but I can practice the back-3/cross-roll 3 bit, which is where my knees go straight and my bum sticks out.....

looplover
02-26-2008, 12:36 PM
At 6:45 this morning, as I am sitting on the bench ready to put on my skates, I was thinking "What in the he!! do I think I am doing?" I am almost 60 (well 58.5) and I am up in the wee hours, drive an hour to the rink in the cold and dark to lace up a pair of skates and pretend I am a teenager? To skate to 1960's Rock & Roll music and fancy myself "a skater". :roll: Gawd! I have reverted to my teens! Only now I am a lot farther from the ice and a lot more breakable!

Ain't AOSS great....? :D

Here's to doing the same throughout your 60s, 70s, and 80s! (it would be nice to sleep in though and get to the rink around 11 a.m.)

Kim to the Max
02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
[On the beach]
Actually got to the rink today because I thought I was to literally be "in the snow!" We got a big storm today, but the roads were amazingly clear.

Program was really good and strong today. The only thing that I need to work on is doing my camel spin immediately after my flip/loop.

Moves felt good as well.

While I didn't have a lesson, coach saw a few axels I was doing at the end and commented that they looked okay even though they were about a 1/2 rotation cheated. She looked a little surprised :) which is always a good feeling. She was surprised that I was there though because I had e-mailed her saying that I didn't think I was going to be able to be there because of the weather and that we needed to meet up so that I could get my test form from her. Well, I was there, and got the test form...I'm retesting my intermediate moves on 3/16 and will test my pre-juv freestyle that same day.

I was asked to be on the board for my club. I'm happy that I will be able to provide a different perspective to things as a skater and particularly the only adult skater we have.

[In the Snow]
Sometimes people don't watch for folks in their programs, which means that I get really nervous doing my footwork down the center of the ice...especially because I go quite fast....

My camel after my flip/loop...don't know why the heck I'm having such issues with that....

miraclegro
02-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Actually, i think i fell in a hole in the ice! The Sunshine was 2 weeks ago when i was on a cruise for my 25th anniversary~

Pulled a back muscle a few weeks ago, and it's still tender...

Doing 1 great camel for every 20 lousy ones (help!)

Klingbeils tweaked, but then right foot is STILL pronating (even when they tell me i should not move the blade!) - any tips ?

Asthma kicked in; got a chest cold. I have lost about 2-3 weeks so far, but am still trying at it!

Gaining weight but will look at the glass as 1/2 full; then i guess i'll have a cookie with that drink~ ha ha

Skittl1321
02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm just on Cloud nine- it felt SO good to be back in lessons. Between group and private I skated an HOUR today. My knees hurt now, but they didn't then.

We picked my Freestyle program- I'll be doing ISI 3 to a song from Pocahontas. I didn't want to do disney, because it's so used, but it wasn't the "main" song- and it really was the best music for me of the choices we listened to. He had 5 to pick from, and 3 were okay for me, and 2 I didn't like, but this one was best. I'm just wearing a green dress (earthy?) but no "colors of the wind" flourishes, and no dressing like the character. I cannot wait- the best part, I have a pretty good back spiral on a right outside edge- I had the whole ice to myself and was able to do it for more than half the rink. I'm so excited that that is an element. My combo spin is going to be :giveup: but the rest should be okay.

My coach said I should do okay at interp, since he just had me skate to each of the song choices. We worked on some footwork to have ready to use.

I set my compulsory routine- that's nothing really, go do a salchow, do a spin, do a toe loop- done.

I am so so happy to be back on the ice!

TimDavidSkate
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Way into the snow :cry: I was going to practice tonight despise of my slightly developing fever. The rain/traffic was so bad it forced us to make a u-turn back home. Now I have at least 2 freestyle sessions to do a program runthrough, before competing next week-Sunday. :giveup: :oops:

dbny
02-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Klingbeils tweaked, but then right foot is STILL pronating (even when they tell me i should not move the blade!) - any tips ?

Are your blades new or just sharpened? I had the same issue with my new Klingbeils last summer, and it turned out to be the blade. The problem resolved as I skated and wore down the bit of shabby sharpening on my R blade.

icedancer2
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
ON the beach: Things are going pretty well with the figures for Pacific Coasts. Coach is especially pleased with the FOI Serpentine and the FO-BI3 are looking pretty good too. She seemed actually more thrilled with my skating than she has in a LONG time. For me it just goes to show that if I work on one or two things very consistently, I can get them! I think that I'm going to take this knowledge into the rest of my skating and just work on one thing at a time instead of trying to do Dance, Moves, Figures - all together, although this is her style of teaching and I've been working with her for about 10 years... hmm...

I'm having a lot of fun with my blog http://www.pdxrinkreport.blogspot.com and have been learning how to add video and photos to the blog. I'm trying hard to find someone to be a co-author with me but people are reluctant to step forward - one person said he thought he would "get in trouble" with the rink management if they knew he was blogging about the rink - I was like, "What, like they're not going to take your $8?" Call me naive, but I don't think it's going to be a big problem.

Another friend came to the rink today and I asked her to be my photographer and videographer for the blog. She could take pictures with her phone and so she took one of me and a couple of the other skaters. She said that she couldn't deal with the video today but when I came home she had emailed me a video of me doing a Serpentine - we call her clandestine photography/videography "Spycam" after that disastrous piece of equipment they used at 2005 Nationals here in Portland (Skycam). I put it on the blog, but I also figured out how to put it on youtube so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dww-c9s8EkA. She only video'd one full serpentine, but the actual figure has 3 sets of tracings (if that makes any sense - hello all of you figure-lovers!)

In the snow: No snow really in sight. The crocuses bloomed last week and this week we are seeing the daffodils. The sun is shining and the buds are out. Spring is coming to Portland, OR.

Oh and the ice was very good today at my old hockey rink!!:bow:

kander
02-27-2008, 01:44 AM
On The Beach: literally. I live within walking distance of the beach. I had a pretty good session tonight. I've been practicing the loop at high speed to get the proper "feel" for my body position. Then when I try the double loop (much slower) it is much better. My rotational mojo seems to be back. Although I'm not landing them, my reconstructed axel is getting more consistent.

In The Snow: My scratch spin seems to have taken a vacation. I can't center one to save my life. My camel spin comes and goes and is currently on vacation.

Sessy
02-27-2008, 03:12 AM
A
Pulled a back muscle a few weeks ago, and it's still tender...

Doing 1 great camel for every 20 lousy ones (help!)

Those two could be correlated. I always reaallly feel my back muscles on the camel when the coach says I just did a really good one. Even though the coach claims the strength comes from the belly, I only feel the back muscles really.

Rusty Blades
02-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Ain't AOSS great....? :D

Thanks L.L.! 8-)

(it would be nice to sleep in though and get to the rink around 11 a.m.)

OH YEA! I look forward to retirement and skating when everyone else is in school or at work! :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
02-27-2008, 05:32 AM
We left for the rink this morning in broad daylight! Yay.... only a few more weeks until we are getting up in daylight, whereupon they will put the clocks forward so we'll be getting up in the dark again!

But I couldn't skate - I was just too tired and it wouldn't have been safe, so after some desultory crossovers I got off again, and the Husband had to have my lesson.

momsk8er
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
In the snow still on day 4 or 5 of breaking in new boots. A bit of beach starting to shine through - MIF are not too bad except slow and I'm skidding my 3s, which I have never done before. Can't spin at all - did one spin today out of 10 that was centered enough that I could even get my feet crossed. Did some little jumps and I was so excited that when I get it right (which is not often) the stiffness in the new boots gives me a spring I never felt before! yeah! these are going to be great once I get more used to them. Unfortunately I came away from the session with bad rubbing on my ankles from the top of the boot. Even though I left the last hook untied. So bad it broke the skin in one area. Guess I need to wear bunga pads next time.

quarkiki2
02-27-2008, 08:17 AM
First of all, YAY!!! So glad you're back on the ice!

My coach said I should do okay at interp, since he just had me skate to each of the song choices. We worked on some footwork to have ready to use.

Secondly -- WHAT???? You know the choices for Interp???? :(

Skittl1321
02-27-2008, 08:27 AM
First of all, YAY!!! So glad you're back on the ice!

Secondly -- WHAT???? You know the choices for Interp???? :(

No, no no no no. I don't. He wouldn't do that. He had me just go skate a "program" to each of the five freeskate songs he had picked for me, to decide which one fit me best. Since I had to "make up" programs on the spot to see if I related to the music, it was good practice for interp.

No cheating going on! Just a poorly worded post.

jskater49
02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
On the beach Coach thought my entry edge for my scratch spin was good enough that now we are working on swinging my leg, arm and hips around to snap into the spin. I'm still working on that at the wall though

Snow- worked on grapevine swizzles and I can't seem to get my left toe to point in which is a problem. And forget about backward, I get stuck! We worked on crossrolls and once I got the idea I need to swing my hip around like in a swing roll, it was a little better. but it's going to be a long time before I get those right.

Bill_S
02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
One the Beach: Another OK practice session this afternoon. While the ice was rock hard because of the unseasonably cold weather outside, I still did OK. I attempted some spins from what they call in aviation 'unusual attitudes', and managed to get my left foot under me to rotate just fine.

I'm feeling fairly competent at entering spins from just about any way possible - I just wish they'd stayed centered a bit more.

Snow: Jumps were inadequate. They just didn't work well, with lots of slop.

dbny
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Tuesday afternoon, both DD's decided to skate outdoors, so we all went. It had been raining and the ice hadn't been cut, so it felt like glue, but it was still fun, and I got some good one foot spins. That evening, while teaching, I did a demo one foot from a F pivot that was slow and controlled like my coach does 8O. While browsing skating videos on YouTube, I came across one that shows a 3 turn exercise which my coach had shown me already, but I had never really worked at. Today, I stood in front of the glass and did the exercise several times, and later did some of the best FO threes ever. Hoping to get some real practice in tomorrow.

Skate@Delaware
02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
On The Beach: This was my last lesson for the season....so coach let me work on what I wanted to. I don't really have anything to gripe about.

We started with backspins, since I did a good one just before she came over to get me. I'm doing them from a one-foot right inside edge entry into a left inside edge entry now (aka the "big girl backspin"). Despite not really opening up my free leg enough, and still tapping down my free leg on the exit, I'm psyched that these are sooo good now! What a great way to end!

Then we did forward crossovers. I haven't really done these since September because of my leg issues (pain, numbness, etc). I'm still tentative and too far on the back part of my blade (I'm afraid of toepicking and going down). Other than that, I'm glad that I did them. I'd be disappointed and it would be even harder to do them in May if I didn't do them now.

Waltz jump-Doing them from a back crossover entry, I'm able to hit it with squared-off shoulders. I didn't even think about it. She was really pleased! This made me happy as well!

Then we did some jump set-ups and run throughs. First was the lutz...and the darn back glide. I'm uncomfortable going backward; I tend to end up on a flat on this one. She had me roll my arm more to the side and have my hand facing up. this helped tremendously!

The salchow exercise (3-turn, hold the back edge then extend the free leg) has been working, although I need to bend more in the knee before I jump it. I tend to not be square in hips on this one and doing the exercise has helped a lot.

I thought I'd break all up when I left but I really was ok. Until I drove home. But I'm jazzed about that backspin! I even showed one of ther other students. Finally! only took 2 years!!!! What a way to end the season!

I will be back in the fall stronger and ready to jump!!!!! Yay!

icedancer2
02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
On the Beach: Worked a little on dances today on the big ice after doing about an hour of figures. I'm getting more and more comfortable doing bigger patterns of the Blues and Silver Tango. Still just working on the mohawks for the 10-Fox, Foxtrot and Rocker - not wanting to do them solo at speed but the turns are getting better every time. Happy to not feel so hesitant doing that lovely Blues Choctaw!!

In the snow: Figures were a little clumsy today - not as good as yesterday on my lesson. I got a chance to work on them a LOT during a very sparse public and during a more crowded Coffee Club on the ice where Pacific Coasts is going to be held, which was nice.

Stopped by my old hockey rink after work to check to see if my coach could work with me again at the end of the week and she said she could. That should help.

Skittl1321
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Snow: Had a bit of a breakdown during synchro. The program is SO fast. I really wish I had had the last 2 months to work on it. Felt terrible because the coach changed one mohawk from R-L to L-R and i'm the only person on the team who likes that mohawk better, but for me it's one less thing to worry that I can't do. Now my challenge is just going to be the turn from fwd chasse to back chasse, we'll see. We didn't work on the program I know but there are still 2 elements in that I can't do- the back lunge and the R-L mohawk. I really like synchro but I feel so badly that I can't do these elements, it just results in bringing the team down. Even the theoretically "weaker" skaters can eek through them- I'm strong on some things and non-existant on the couple things that are my challenges. Even if I could get a two foot turn to go that fast I'd be happy, but as much as I've worked on that and the mohawk this year, I just cannot seem to do it. (But my mohawk has gotten a lot better, just not faster)

Beach: Knee didn't hurt during practice, just iced it when I got home because it was sore.

liz_on_ice
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
In the snow - I've been almost entirely off ice the last three weeks. I had a bad cold and just needed to cut back on everything except work and truly necessary chores. I also needed a break, probably how I got sick in the first place. Then when I got better I had jury duty, which interfered with my scheduled lesson, followed by a snowstorm which made me wimp out of driving to practice. We were going to schedule my FS3 test for Feb, but at this point I'll be lucky to do it in March. I really wanted it done, but I'm more relaxed about it now.

on the beach - Finally had a lesson yesterday. After skipping three weeks of lessons and almost no practice we mostly focused on edges. Coach admired my powerpulls (nutcase that I am I do them a lot because I like them) and my salchow, set me to the next stage of improvement on the waltz jump. After so long off, skating felt good. I smiled all day.

Sessy
02-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Today's public wasn't crowded but incredibly chaotic so I didn't practice anything.
I just did five programme run-throughs in the first 20 minutes while all the people were standing in line to rent skates. I did no warming up, cuz there's none planned as such in the competition time schedule either and there probably won't be one.

If I skate at competition the way I did today, I'll be fine (well apart from coming last lol) but I'll probably freak out and make a fool of myself. Which is fine too, everybody looks like a gorilla out there the first few times so I'm entitled to my two minutes of gorilla! :)

Rusty Blades
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
DEEP Snow: Whether from a couple of nights of poor sleep, a virus, or reaching "burnout" from the time the alarm went off at 3:45 the day was headed downhill fast. I actually didn't WANT to skate - that's rare - and not much was working, even stuff that is normally good.

Within sight of the beach: On the positive side, I remembered the footwork sequence I worked out Tuesday (though I didn't skate it well).

Stuck up to the axle: I was just so physically and mentally brain-dead that I cut lesson short today. We will see where things stand Tuesday and decide whether or not to continue with 2 programs for Nationals or abandon one of them.

Bill_S
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Stuck up to the axle: I was just so physically and mentally brain-dead that I cut lesson short today...

Snort!

(oh, tea just went everywhere!) You couldn't be THAT brain dead to come up with that clever header!

Hey S@D - hope everything goes well, and we'll look forward to more skating reports from you starting next fall!

Helen88
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Snow:
One foot spins had me at my wits end...I'd do one or two really, really nice ones...3 revs., pulled in, exited properly. But 9 times out of ten I'd either fall over, or just have to step out of it. Spirals felt shaky for some reason, although I didn't pancake again today.

Beach [although I hate the beach] :
Only had to go into school for 10 minutes today, so I got a full 2hrs skating. Crossovers felt really steady today. Spent a while talking with a girl about my age. She really put me to shame though - she's been skating for 2 months and she can do stuff I can't even attempt after two years. Not much else really.

You know that really disapointing feeling? The one where you get on the ice hoping it'll make you feel better, only to get off feeling worse than you did in the first place? That was me today.

Rusty Blades
02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
You couldn't be THAT brain dead to come up with that clever header!

Even when it's nearly dead, it's still warped!

Turned out to be the flu - bailed from work this afternoon and going to bed.

coskater64
02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I must admit I was a little nervous for my Adult Silver moves test, the 8 step is not my favorite, and spirals are still a bit on the difficult side but I managed to pass my silver fm test. Got scores 16.5, 16.8 and 17.1 with a passing score of 16.2 so I am pleased. I have gained back most of the weight I lost, if only I could get my fat to distribute itself in more opportune areas.

Sigh, don't we all want that. Trying to figure out when to take the gold, just realized I am doing Jr/Sr moves next week, not week after. EEkkk!

Video of moves is on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/bouldersk8r):D

doubletoe
02-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I must admit I was a little nervous for my Adult Silver moves test, the 8 step is not my favorite, and spirals are still a bit on the difficult side but I managed to pass my silver fm test. Got scores 16.5, 16.7 and 17.1 with a passing score of 16.2 so I am pleased. I have gained back most of the weight I lost, if only I could get my fat to distribute itself in more opportune areas.

Sigh, don't we all want that. Trying to figure out when to take the gold, just realized I am doing Jr/Sr moves next week, not week after. EEkkk!

Wow, great job! Outside mohawks and spirals on recently revamped hips are quite an achievement! :bow:

On The Beach
This morning--in spite of our crappy hard ice--I skated my program and completed every element, including a solid axel and double salchow! :D

In The Snow
I didn't quite hold onto the final position in my ending spin. I need to really get it into muscle memory in the coming week so it will be there for me no matter what.

BatikatII
02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
On the beach:
Dance lesson yesterday and finally managed two sequences of my variation canasta tango for testing without going wrong and getting a consistent pattern filling whole rink. As it went so well coach decided we should leave it and do something else for the rest of lesson so I got her to go over the backspin with me. This is the coach who worked wonders on my field moves and really helped get me through level 4 so thought it worth asking - turns out she loves teaching the backspin! I can sort of do it but it's not consistent and hoped that a different perspective might help which it did. She got me to keep left arm well in front and hook the spin and keep leg out to start which got it to centre much better. I think I may have this in time to test after all.

Wasn't at my best yesterday though as was flustered having been unable to find my handbag and fearing I'd left it somewhere.

still on the beach: found bag so was in a really good mood. Also wore my new welsh dragon t shirt which I love and the ice was nice.

Did a great runthrough of my level 2 test programme landing a really good loop and finishing on time:)

coach commented on improved backspin in the elements too.

No snow today!

Skittl1321
02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
coskater- congrats on passing!

Terri C
02-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Way to go coskater!!

I was on the beach when I skated the first half of my freeskate program without the music very strongly for Primary Coach. Had a good toe loop/toeloop combo and a good sit.

Did CM program for coach as well and she timed it at 45 seconds. So we added more to the straightline footwork sequence.

The salchow went back to the snowpile. I went back after lesson and did some of the on ice exercises that Secondary Coach taught me last week. After last week's butt busting straight to my neck fall, I am NOT going to do this jump from a standstill, but I will walk through it.
It was also bitterly cold on the ice and ice was hard today, but given that the word on the street, or on the boards rather that the Easterns rink is cold with hard ice- this may be a good thing for me.

jazzpants
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Congrats coskater64!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Wednesday's Lesson

In The Snow
My nice flip is in the snowpile again. I'm trying to get a nice straight 3turn flip entry and I can't seemed to do it. I also can't seemed to get myself to have STRAIGHT LEGS on the entry either. GRRRR!!!! :x :frus: So for now, my flip is ROYALLY cheated. I feel bad for secondary coach, who is still trying to figure out a while to not get me to cheat on the entry and still keep the entry straight.

Thursday's Lesson:

In The Snow:
Primary coach acknowledge that my flip entry needs work and did mention those things that secondary coach had mentioned about too, but he said that he's gonna leave that alone 'til AFTER AN.

Also in the snow my loop-loop. It has not been consistent as of late and I'm a bit concerned about it since I am EXPECTED to land this jump at AN. I have landed some of those today but I missed just as many of those as well too...

Kinda in a fog (no snow or sun...hey, I AM in San Francisco!!!):
My straightline footwork. I'm doing this slide chasse to a thingie that is supposed to be a twizzle but I can't really call it a twizzle since it's probably all on the incorrect edge. :roll:

Sunny:
Nothing really... maybe the fact that I'm actually landing my loop consistently now is a blessing. :bow: Maybe the camel, (particularly the last one, free leg looks almost (like around 10 degrees off) parallel to the ice now from what I see in the glass reflection.)

tidesong
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
On the beach:
Continued work on the MITF, learnt the waltz eight, forward power 3-turns, revised the alt forward 3-turns which my old coach taught me although it wasn't in the ISI syllabus, and then learnt the 5 step mohawk sequence... which is quite delightful except that my patterns always seem to decrease in size on the 3rd lobe, and my rink is so tiny I can only do three before having to stop and turn around.... so I wouldn't now how it would fare if i had to continue on a 4th and 5th....

Landed one double salchow out of back three turn -mohawk steps. (although I was on a self imposed shouldn't be doing too many jumps... hehehehehe)

In the snow:
Took a really hard fall on double three turns (wanted to go into flip jump) but i fell on the three turn just practically flew over the toe pick and hit the ice right below the knee cap and just above the elbow. My elbow hit a vein and it swelled dramatically immediately whereas the knee looked calm. But I knew that things would be bad in the oppoiste way. And today the knee has swollen and the elbow is just a normal no-swelling bruise.... :giveup:

Kim to the Max
02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Yesterday and today

[On the Beach]
Yesterday was more of a goof off day on the ice with a friend/student here on campus. It was fun to watch her attempt to do double axels on broke down boots, blades that are done, and not doing them in 6 months :)

Today, my camel spins were on, my lutz is back, scratch/back scratch is more consistent...all in all a pretty good day :)

Did a pretty good program run through tonight...

Lesson tomorrow...but unfortunately, they changed our ice time, so it's quite late....8:30-9:15 and then 9:15-10pm....and I have a feeling I am going to be getting the late session for my lesson....boo...although, I am very excited for my lesson :)

[In the Snow]
I need new boots :giveup: so, that lovely tax return that I put into my savings account so that I HAVE some savings, is probably going to disappear...luckily, the government is going to give many of us $600 and I have an additional $750 in pay that will be coming in the next few weeks for additional service that I am providing at work (it comes out to something like $63 an hour...how could you pass that up!?!). So, over spring break I will head to the skate shop and see how much money this is going to cost me...I am probably going to keep my old skates so that when I am breaking in the new ones I will still be able to skate and not rush the break in process...plus then I could probably send them off to Harlick to be rebuilt, and then I will have 2 pairs :) ...I will probably stay with the same combination of Harlick Finalists and Coronation Comets. I'm just not looking forward to forking out the dough...

Moves were "eh" today...my back outside brackets are lost and I cannot find them...I continuously go into them on such a flat....part of my problem is trying to maintain the edge, when I am turning opposite of the way I am trying to go...I can do a darned good back outside edge when I am doing them the traditional way... :frus: I wonder if there is a way to start facing the outside of the circle and then changing arms and rotation for the actual turn...hmmmm...

mikawendy
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I have gained back most of the weight I lost, if only I could get my fat to distribute itself in more opportune areas.

Sigh, don't we all want that.

:lol: I totally agree!

Congrats on your strong pass, and thanks for posting the vid of your test. Great edge rip on the power pulls, and nice BO three turns :bow: :bow: Your work on figures shows there in the quality of the turns. When you took your jacket off between edits on the vid, at first I thought, "Hey, she had time to change clothes?!"

The background music was nice--was that music playing on another ice surface or in the test arena?

kander
02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Snow: My spins are still wildly inconsistent. I can never skate as well in the morning as I do in the evening. I'm losing the "feeling" I look for on the axels and I'm not landing too many salchows these days. I was too tired to work on loops.

On the beach: I landed a really good toeloop during my lesson this morning. That doesn't happen very often. Even though my skating wasn't that good, I'm still happy just to be there. The skater that has the same thursday morning session made it past the qualifying round in the Four Continents competition. Even though I'm not landing them, coach says my axel finally looks like a real axel (as opposed to what I used to do).

Sessy
02-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Snow: My spins are still wildly inconsistent. I can never skate as well in the morning as I do in the evening. I'm losing the "feeling" I look for on the axels and I'm not landing too many salchows these days. I was too tired to work on loops.

I had the same problem until I realised blood sugar levels (I never stomached an early breakfast) and the way I tied my skates were the problem. In the evening, my feet need more room than in the morning for some reason, and my blood needs at least a full bottle of high sugar sportsdrink in the morning. :lol:

sk8pics
02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Congrats coskater64!

I had a great time yesterday in my lesson. First time I have felt really comfortable on my back outside edges and didn't feel like I totally had to clutch my coach's hand to keep from falling over. Also did some (just a few) clockwise back xovers without holding onto him. At the very end of the session we also did one length of the rink of the bronze move with the alternating back crossovers with the back outside edge in between. It was very cool!8-) And also felt completely comfortable! My coach was helping me and was laughing because I was "talking" us through it: Okay now I'm going to do the edge, now I'm going to do a crossover, now I'm going to do the edge. I don't know why I felt compelled to say it out loud because obviously he knew what I was going to do. So it was pretty funny.

Also got to see a skating friend I had not seen since before I broke my ankle. It was so good to see her and she was happy to see how well I am doing. So, a good day all around.

Happy skating everyone!

Clare
02-29-2008, 06:00 AM
You know that really disapointing feeling? The one where you get on the ice hoping it'll make you feel better, only to get off feeling worse than you did in the first place? That was me today.

I absolutely know that feeling :frus: There will always be someone (or in my case, everyone!) who is a faster learner than you and, as disheartening as it is, there isn't a thing you can do!

In the snow:
-Last lesson for more than 7 weeks today. I managed not to blub when saying goodbye to my coach but only just. I will miss my rink routine ridiculously and my coach even more.

On the beach:
-From next Wednesday, I will be in Australia, land of beaches 8-)
-Back crossover miracle this morning when I somehow managed to slow everything down and stay low in the knees, which made so much difference and meant I got in a whole circle of smooth, consecutive crossovers. Finally!
-My timing may not be as awful as I had suspected. Did a Golden Skaters Waltz, Rhythm Blues, Dutch Waltz and a Canasta Tango all to time, with the exception of the RB. However, as I only started the RB last week and am still rushing the closed chasses, I'm going to be too self-critical about that one.

Rob Dean
02-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Personally, I'm of the opinion that in the snow ought to be good, and on the beach bad...:) However...

On the beach: My coach thinks my Willow is close enough that she's probably going to be willing to sign the test form next lesson. That does mean two weeks of lessons working on that prety much exclusively. We did, at least, look at the bronze moves trouble spot last night, and I was told that I can demonstrate the idea and just need more practice, so I hope that it won't hurt to go off and practice that for a while without a look at it on a lesson.

In the snow: Need to work on check after the mohawk (man's) on the end pattern of the ten fox. Started ok in the lesson, but then started analyzing it and everything fell to pieces. If I lose check there, there's no telling what position I might end up in, and that can get a little scary (not to mention frustrating.) Solo drills while Willowing, I suppose...

Rob

Debbie S
02-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Congratulations coskater! Nice test!

Great news about your practice, sk8pics! I always liked the alt BO edge glide move. Certainly compared to oh, the 8-step, back 3's and cross strokes, and just about every move on the Silver test - lol.

If I don't pass Silver soon, I may go crazy practicing these moves. Last night, my big puzzle was why, on the cross strokes, I can step down and transition properly on the left foot, but not the right. No matter what I do, I still hear toe noise - grrr.

Mrs Redboots
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I managed to pass my silver fm test.

Congratulations! Not that I am surprised, mind you..... but all the same!

Personally, I'm of the opinion that in the snow ought to be good, and on the beach bad...:) I do so agree!

For us, it was all good, I think, with the possible exception of a rather out-of-practice Willow Waltz. We even got to marry skating with a lie-in this morning, as Husband took the morning off! Which did, sadly, mean that we missed Clare, who had left before we arrived, and we had hoped to wish her "bon voyage"....

We have nearly finished our free dance; it just wants some input from the coaches at the end. It's still very rough and needs a lot of work, but it's more-or-less there. It will, I expect, have to be tweaked. But even now, the step sequence would fill a short rink like Oxford or Lee Valley; it just doesn't quite fill ours, though.

myste12
02-29-2008, 04:54 PM
In the Snow:
-I've been sick, and missed 3 practices last week.
-My coach is in the hospital and will be until after Mids. (She'll be fine, just has to be off of her feet for a few weeks.)
-I still haven't crystalled my dress for Mids because my coach was supposed to bring me the crystals. Since she's indisposed at the moment, I just ordered some, and will have the rush shipped. I'm going to be up all night during the week gluing...

On the Beach:
-I practiced for the first time in almost a week today, and it went pretty well.
-I did a 5min warm-up and program run through, and managed a respectable program with only one fall on the very last jump.
-My coach made arrangements from the hospital for another coach to work with me this week so that I "stay on track". (I'm pretty sure that means to make sure I don't take anymore hard stuff out of my program...)

In the Snow:
-My camel spin was atrocious in the program today. It's usually one of my best spins. I don't know why I keep messing it up in the program. Hopefully my interm coach will be able to fix it before Mids!

Scarlett
02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Congratulations Coskater!

On the beach:

Did some really nice backspins today.
Made some progress with the loop-loop. Didn't land it but made progress.
Got a nice comment about my spiral sequence from another coach who was on the ice.

In the snow:
Landed a lutz with my face. After a trip to the ER for stitches am the proud owner of a skater's chin.

mdvask8r
02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
In the snow:
Landed a lutz with my face. After a trip to the ER for stitches am the proud owner of a skater's chin.
So glad you are ok Scarlett. I missed the face lutz, but did see some of your nice spirals today.
BTW - when you rushed off to the sewing bee you left your jacket on the boards. Look for it in the pro room. :)

doubletoe
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM

On the beach:

Did some really nice backspins today.
Made some progress with the loop-loop. Didn't land it but made progress.
Got a nice comment about my spiral sequence from another coach who was on the ice.

In the snow:

Congratulations on your new skater's chin! :bow: It will match mine! :roll: What happened on the lutz that made you fall on your chin? That's a rather unusual way to have that fall. Anyway, I'm glad your teeth didn't get involved in any way (shudder!). Whew!

dbny
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I managed to pass my silver fm test. Got scores 16.5, 16.8 and 17.1 with a passing score of 16.2 so I am pleased.

CONGRATULATIONS! ...and thanks for the video!

Personally, I'm of the opinion that in the snow ought to be good, and on the beach bad...:)

Same here!!! I do not like the beach much at all, and love the snow.

Great news about your practice, sk8pics!

I second that!

Ouch! How many stitches? At least you got it on a lutz. Older DD got a skater's chin on a waltz jump :roll:.

In keeping with my preference for snow:
In the Snow:
Did some nice one foot spins from T push in lesson today. Straightened out problem with L side of Prelim Power Threes (for the umpteenth time) - not holding long enough before pushing to FO edge. Tried a new approach to backspin in the lesson: push off onto BO edge, bring free foot into crossed position, bring arms in with hands at belly button, keep R shoulder back (CCW spin) until edge deepens, and then rotate shoulders slightly to initiate spin. I didn't actually get any spins out of this, but I did get better posture, and when I do get the spin - it will be on the correct edge. Best of all, after the lesson, I suddenly felt much more confidence on FI threes, and was actually able to do them with some speed, enough for the Adult Pre-Bronze pattern. They felt so good that I was practicing the Pre-Juv threes in the field with FI/BO threes (two footing the BO's). Although I'm still having trouble checking the alt FO threes on the line, they also are shaping up nicely when just skating and in patterns like the Prelim power threes.

Older DD came with me, and her waltz-loop combo is big enough for an axel. She was doing it near my lesson at one point, and my coach told her to just go for it, which she did. She freaked in the middle and popped out, but would have had a huge axel if she hadn't. This kid could easily have big axels and doubles if she wanted to spend the time on them. Unfortunately, she only skates for herself a few times a week and doesn't take lessons. She's decided after today, though, to have a lesson with my coach next week. She'll be working full time soon, and then will probably have to stop skating altogether.

kander
03-01-2008, 02:32 AM

In the snow:

The skaters badge of honor :)

kander
03-01-2008, 02:36 AM
I had the same problem until I realised blood sugar levels (I never stomached an early breakfast) and the way I tied my skates were the problem. In the evening, my feet need more room than in the morning for some reason, and my blood needs at least a full bottle of high sugar sportsdrink in the morning. :lol:

I think my problem is my body doesn't loosen up until sometime in the afternoon. The sports drink before skating is worth a try.

Muskoka Skater
03-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Friday Night

On the beach:
my program
double flip
loop, double loop, double toe combo
death drop
double lutz, holy moly I was landing them like mad... no wonder it's my favourite jump

In the snow:
can't think of anything

coskater64
03-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Congrats on the skater's chin, how many stitches?

I got mine over rotating a double toe (back when I could jump)
it is the badge of courage, the proud!!

A young man I knew got one from a flying camel, just flew...(((()))))
11 stitches.

8O 8O 8O

Kim to the Max
03-01-2008, 08:08 AM
For last night:

[In the Snow]
We were literally in the snow last night...the roads were bad and yucky. Coach didn't think I was going to make it because the weather was horrible and my little saturn ion doesn't do too well in the snow....

My scratch spin was traveling like crazy!

Brackets were still giving me huge issues during my lesson :( I absolutely HATE this pattern :frus: :giveup: :twisted:

Plus, I HATE show season....for the first 1/2 hour of my lesson tonight (I ended up getting the first lesson), the skate school show group was practicing and I kept running into little kids and just generally not being able to do anything. It is so frustrating because I pay for that ice and I should be able to get my own practice time in....they do not necessarily pay for that ice (skate school students get a 1/2 hour of practice time, and for the "ultimate" and freestyle group, which is what this is, their practice time is the club ice immediately before of after their lesson). I just wish that with a group that big (I think it's about 15-20 or so), they would give them their own time on the ice to practice. :frus:

[On the Beach]
Coach and I worked hard on moves yesterday...there was a test session yesterday and she read all of the test sheets for all of the intermediate tests (and came to the conclusion that something was really wrong about the one I did...)

Coach was pleased with everything, even the CW power 3's...only a small correction on those (I'm working on keeping the free foot well in front, and while it's now in front, it's not pointed, so I'm supposed to try to point a little :) )

Power circles were actually quite good today...on the back clockwise, I was a little scratchy, but the rest were awesome. AND...we did them with the metronome CD playing, and I wasn't sucking wind after doing all 4 patterns in a row!!!! :D

Scarlett
03-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Re: The Skater's chin

I have absolutely no idea how I did it. In one instant, I was in the air. The next I was smacking my face into the ice. I will have to ask my coach what on earth I did. She was a little freaked out and I didn't think to ask.

I have 6 stitches on the outside and I think 4 or 5 dissolvable stitches on the inside. I shall wear my scar with pride.

stacyf419
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Scarlett-
Glad you are okay. I almost had myself a skater's chin yesterday but due to last second head lift I ended up with 2 bruised elbows, a gigantic right knee and a lovely greenish bruise the size of Canada on my left ribcage. Pretty!

All from a simple little catch of the toepick on a side hop.

FlyAndCrash
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
snow: powerpulls. I HATE POWERPULLS! I will be ecstatic when I finally pass pre-juv moves and am DONE with them. Fake it 'til you make it does not apply to these.

beaches: I am only an "h" (left knee up) away from my double loop and a 1/4 rotation short. Hopefully I will finally land them next week. Maybe... I just need to JUMP a little more.

snow: my coach is going to be away at a comp next week. And I need to be good and practice on my own. :halo:

beaches: My coach mentioned TESTING my moves!!! Yeah!!! :D

doubletoe
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Re: The Skater's chin

I have absolutely no idea how I did it. In one instant, I was in the air. The next I was smacking my face into the ice. I will have to ask my coach what on earth I did. She was a little freaked out and I didn't think to ask.

I have 6 stitches on the outside and I think 4 or 5 dissolvable stitches on the inside. I shall wear my scar with pride.

OMG. . . Owwww! 8O

Muskoka Skater
03-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Saturday Night, my clubs skating carnival

On the beach:
my solo

In the snow:
i had this beautiful finale of me tripping over my toe pick (which barely ever happens), then falling flat on my face in the last group program! I'm suppossed to be the second best skater at my club, but why that one day I did such a canskate move! I felt so embarrassed but I just shook it off and kept on going.

xofivebyfive
03-02-2008, 02:18 PM
On the Beach: my laybacks have been getting more lean, so I'm happy about that.

In the Snow: I can only last on the ice for 15 minutes. it's really frustrating.

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
In the Snow: I can only last on the ice for 15 minutes. it's really frustrating.

Horribly frustrating for you! But at least you can do that 15 minutes, which at one time I think you thought might not happen.... so let's hope you are getting better, no matter how slowly.

Congratulations on the layback!