View Full Version : Advice on Dip Tyeing dresses anyone?

Virtualsk8r
02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I would like to try the gradiated colour technique on a skirt or bodice -- perhaps hite and black or blue and pink etc. Anyone have any tips on achieving this effect?

What kind of material do I make the skirt out of - silk or synthetic - and what colour is the basic dress made of in order to achieve the two or three colour effect.

What dye is best for this project?

icedancer2
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Do you mean tie-dye? I don't know if that is how it is spelled since I don't recall having seen it written before...

Skittl1321
02-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I can't offer advice because I've never dip dyed anything other than yarn (and I did that by putting it all in a pot for 5 minutes, then taking a bit out and letting the rest sit for 5 minutes, then more- and so on) This would probably work if you wanted one color.

But try googling dip dying- or the word "ombre" which is another word that describes your effect.

You might also want to try hand painting the fabric with dye if you want multi colors (like the "watercolor" dresses and skirts)

jenlyon60
02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Dip-dying is a different effect than tie-dying.

Here is a link that provides some "how to"

http://www.woolywonder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6847

Also, Dharma Trading (www.dharmatrading.com) has some instructions, besides selling dyes and fabric blanks and fabric that is prepared for dying.

The important thing with the dying is buying the correct type of dye for the fabric you're using (fibers like silk and wool require a different type of dye than synthetics). Otherwise, the dye won't take well or will give unpredictable results.

You might also try searching in the yarn world for info on gradiated dying. A lot of fiber artists do similar techniques to create interesting yarns.

flo
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi,
I've dyed and painted several dresses. I've used the Mirella pre-made dresses with the georgette skirt and also silk. I've also painted and dyed the fabric for others before sewing (I don't sew). The way I do this for the synthetics is to put a pot of rit dye on the stove and hang the dress above. I put the dress in the pot as far as I want the dye. Then I raise the dress a few inches at a time, so the bottom of the dress stays in the dye the longest.

For silks and cotton leotards, I like to hand paint the fabric. I use transparent setacolor which may be purchased at Dharma trading (as well as leotards that take dye very well), and also at michaels.

Mika has a pic somewhere here of a dress she painted, and it's beautiful.

To set the colors, throw it in the dryer.
Have fun!