View Full Version : Small jumps for old skaters

johns135
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm new here .. or at least I haven't posted here in years, so I re-registered.
I know many of you from Usenet, and years of yakking online about rec
skating. My question / observation is this:

I'm getting too old for big jumps. My knees won't take the landings anymore.
So I quit jumping until I met a young girl at the rink here who has developed
what I call a small jump style. Thing is, she has some of the cleanest jumps
I have ever seen. They are effortless, and she can do them anywhere on
the ice from any position, and she mixes them freely with all kinds of foot
work. I asked her to show me how to do them .. not teach me, but just
show me so I could copy them. What she does is very much over-rotates
into her toe-pick, and the jump comes as she rocks up to the toe-pick.
I changed my waltz, tloop, and sal to her style, and I was instantly jumping
again ... HAPPY I was. I have always done "edged" jumps in the past, and
they were big, but not reliable. Now, these toe-pick jumps are very reliable,
and I can freely mix them in with moves and even ice dance, and they
never fail to land cleanly. I think I could do 20 waltz jumps in a row this
way. I can do 5 easily, and there is no reason to stop other than ??
Now, I'm working on loop and flip trying to develop her style, and I'm
very close to both. Her loop comes off the toe-pick. Hard to believe, but
true. She does the 180 turn into it, and rocks up to the pick, and the
loop just does itself the rest of the way. It pops, and looks effortless.
Her flip is spiked out to the side, and she drags the free skate edge
around her to the 180 position, and then easily rises off the toepick.
Again it is effortless. Any of you working recreational jumps this way ?

johns ( Howdy Ms Redboots .. It is me in Idaho )

montanarose
02-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Howdy, johns! How cool to see you posting here: I am also a refugee from the good (?) old days at rssir. I have particularly missed your and Sling Skate's contributions . . . you two old curmudgeons, you :lol: (said with love).

Sad to say, I can offer nothing helpful re: your question about jumping -- big, small or otherwise -- as I rarely skate, let alone jump, anymore. A broken wrist in 2005, followed by a badly broken ankle/foot in 2006, plus the normal exigencies of getting older (and having an even older parent to deal with :frus:) have all conspired to keep me away from the ice. I hope to start back with baby steps -- i.e., figures -- this spring, if I can find a coach willing to teach me.

But it heartens me to hear that you're still out there in Idaho, with the frou frou dancing ladies and all. Are you still raising rabbits?

Sessy
02-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Well the way I did the loop at first was from a 3-turn, holding my arms very wide (the key here is to have the arms perfectly parallel and at the same height, you might wanna practice on socks before a mirror/dark window and on ice while looking at your reflection in the boardings). I went into the inside 3-turn with the arms open wide, I pre-rotated the jump on the outside edge to the point where it felt like my blade was almost flipping forward, then made a tiny jump up and pulled my arms in hard. The momentum of the arms from the 3turn brings up about 180 degrees and then you can land the loop just a little underrotated. Also I cheated the flip back then by doing it form a mohawk entrance and pre-rotating a quarter on the edge, then landing a quarter underrotated.

Hope that helps any.

jskater49
02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Well hello johns.

I believe you are talking about a toe-waltz. That's the only kind of toe-loop I can do and probably ever will. It will be met with disapproval but if it makes you happy and you aren't going to try to pass a test with it, I say, have fun.

j

Bill_S
02-22-2008, 08:52 AM
She does the 180 turn into it, and rocks up to the pick, and the
loop just does itself the rest of the way. It pops, and looks effortless.
Her flip is spiked out to the side, and she drags the free skate edge
around her to the 180 position, and then easily rises off the toepick.
Again it is effortless. Any of you working recreational jumps this way ?

Heh, I've got a small axel this way - I call it my "Pixel". It could be criticized any number of ways (jumping around, etc.) but it still looks nifty with the 1-1/2 revs. It's badly pre-rotated on the ice, and I wish I could get into the air faster before the rotation, but as a fellow old guy, I'll take it.

After all, it's about the fun anyway.

johns135
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
But it heartens me to hear that you're still out there in Idaho, with the frou frou dancing ladies and all. Are you still raising rabbits?

We are up to 33 Flemish Giants now. Got a doe out of Canada, and
she is over 22 pounds. Rabbit "herd" is applicable now.

johns

johns135
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Well the way I did the loop at first was from a 3-turn, holding my arms very wide .
Hope that helps any.

I think I've begun to see the wider arms. My pre-rotation in both loop
and flip has me right to the edge of having the jump again without
having to spike or edge either one ... just the roll up is all I want.
Timing is tricky because I want to go back to the old jump style, and
I have to fight that. I would have some pretty sore knees if I did.
Girl here has an axel done with a roll up too. She barely leaves the ice
at all, and yet the axel looks fine. She does the roll up at 180, and
kicks easily into the last 360 from the tip of her toe-pick. She says
her new coach calls it a "Sal-axel". Fine with me.

johns

johns135
02-22-2008, 11:44 AM
After all, it's about the fun anyway.

Yep. Girl here has her "Sal-axel" that way. I say stop there, and
enjoy the sport too. She has a clean Sal alone from a mohawk
entry, and she can ride that thing 30 feet across the ice, and then
do the jump as the mohawk naturally turns forward by merely
pressing her toepick into the ice, and rising smoothly off of it.
I'm going to change my Sal to a mohawk entry.

johns

skaternum
02-22-2008, 02:53 PM
If I'm understanding your description of the technique, I'm gonna take a pass on that. I'd prefer to have a clean (as in, "given credit by a qualified judge") jump, myself. But as jskater49 says, if you're happy with a cheated jump, go for it.

Skate@Delaware
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I couldn't do one pre-rotated because I would get dinged in competitions (and a 46, so far my knees are ok) but if you can live with it and it makes you happy then go for it! I bet most people don't care, most can't do half the stuff we do at our age so the heck with them anyway!

2loop2loop
02-23-2008, 10:59 AM
How many refugees from the good old days at RSSIR do we have here now? Mrs R and Jazzpants of course, but who else.

JohnF

Bill_S
02-23-2008, 11:06 AM
How many refugees from the good old days at RSSIR do we have here now? Mrs R and Jazzpants of course, but who else.

JohnF

I'm one.

I've seen quite a few others here too, although often their names have been changed from the RSSIR days.

CanadianAdult
02-23-2008, 11:19 AM
me. I used to post about preliminary dances but that's quite a few years bock.
Lyle is around here somewhere too.

edited: actually I used to discuss homemade spinners with sling quite a bit.

jskater49
02-23-2008, 01:07 PM

JohnF

Revjoelle here

j

johns135
02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Revjoelle here
j

Oh lord :-)

Girl at ticket booth wrote, "Geezer Pass" on
my season ticket after scratching through the
word "Child". I'm still starving to death in Idaho.
Going to have to make a trip back to Wisconsin
for a decent meal, and an Old Style. Watch 'em
race their pickups across Lake Mendota at 2 in
the AM.

johns

jazzpants
02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
WOW!!! No Sling Skate??? Hope he's okay. I haven't heard a peep outta him. The last I've heard he changed his handle to "AdultSkater" on RSSIR but has slowly dropped off since.

I haven't seen Lyle (aka Team Arthritis) in a while. I hope he's okay... W Letendre also has joined this group but I haven't seen him post here in quite a while.

Johns: Don't recognize me eh? If you don't know who I am already, I'm not gonna tell 'ya... :twisted: :P (Yes, I *was* a regular there.) How's Peggy Sue?

And trust me, you CAN get a nice easy HIGH jump with a nice soft landing with the right technique. (I say that b/c I have going thru that and lived to tell about it.) Problem is... you need to get a good coach to teach 'ya the stuff and we know how you are about coaches. ;) :P Speaking of coaches, I've met the skating director at your seasonal rink in Moscow a couple of years back (Brenda.) Nice lady... skates pretty well...

dbny
02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
I've seen quite a few others here too, although often their names have been changed from the RSSIR days.
To protect the innocent? :lol:

I'm another, but not much of a name change.

happysk8tes
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Hello Fellow Skaters,

I've been lurking here for a while, and after reading this thread I decided it's about time I registered and started posting! I'm also from the oldd rssir newsgroup. I was Mainiac159. Last spring we moved from Maine to northern NY State, thus the new screen name. Some of you may remember me from the Lake Placid Adult Skating Camp last June. That experience was the highlight of my skating life. I hope you all can attend some time during your skating career.

My new Freestyle Coach has taught me a new way to do a toe loop. Along a circle, first do a left outside 3-turn, then short back right glide. Pick your left skate into the ice, do a short pivot , then jump. Clearly not a full rotation, but it looks very pretty. Some day I may master it! But not too soon because I broke my left wrist last week. : ( And that leads to an injury thread I'll start another day.

Pat

kander
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM

JohnF

I was on rssir for years. I forget what my login was. You might remember me as the technical skating web page guy. I have a new web page at

www.techskate.com/skate (http://www.techskate.com/skate)

Kevin

Bill_S
02-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Hello Fellow Skaters,

...Clearly not a full rotation, but it looks very pretty. Some day I may master it! But not too soon because I broke my left wrist last week. : (

Pat

Welcome to the new group and DON'T BREAK ANYTHING ELSE!

I hope your recovery is fast and you're back to normal soon.

skaternum
02-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Me, too. I started yapping about skating on rssir and rssif.

dbny
02-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Some of you may remember me from the Lake Placid Adult Skating Camp last June. That experience was the highlight of my skating life. I hope you all can attend some time during your skating career.
<snip> I broke my left wrist last week.
Pat

Welcome to SkatingForums, Pat. I also attended the Lake Placid Adult Skating Camp. I was there in Aug, 2001, and broke my right wrist there, making it the nadir of my skating life :lol:. Hope your fracture isn't too bad and you can get back on the ice soon.

Award
02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I went into the inside 3-turn with the arms open wide, I pre-rotated the jump on the outside edge to the point where it felt like my blade was almost flipping forward, then made a tiny jump up and pulled my arms in hard.

This sounds a bit like an axel, but with half a rotation? Still pretty good though.

Rusty Blades
02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Well I am 58 and just started jumping "the hard way" but so far so good. I wrecked my knees and quit skating at 19 but they seem to be holding up fine so far. When/if they start giving me trouble and I have to give up Freeskate, I'll try these almost-jumps!

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Husband used to get really sore knees when he first tried to learn the flip jump, although I have a feeling that was as much because he was still cycling regularly then as because of poor technique. These days, his knee tells him if he overdoes jumping practice, but if he is sensible he's okay. I used to not be able to do any up-down-up exercises like power pulls or similar or my knees told me all about it next day, but just lately they've been much better - I think the relevant tendons have got stronger.

**Waves at JohnS**

montanarose
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Another rssif/rssir refugee here. Due to my advanced age, I can no longer recall what name I used to post over there :oops:

Now if we could just lure Sling over to the dark side . . . :twisted:

Ellen

johns135
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Johns: Don't recognize me eh? If you don't know who I am already, I'm not gonna tell 'ya... :twisted: :P (Yes, I *was* a regular there.) How's Peggy Sue?

We just got back from a "White Trash" dance in Phoenix, Az at the
Country Club there. I'm thinking of becoming a Hispanic gang-banger, or
maybe join our local Hip-Hop team. Heh!

I've met the skating director at your seasonal rink in Moscow a couple of years back (Brenda.) Nice lady... skates pretty well...

Brenda and I are on good speaking terms these days. I'm sure I can mess
that up with very little effort. Last year, she had a bunch of little ones
skating on her team. She's beyond a good skater. She's gifted. There's
a story somewhere that I'll never know. I've seen the best of the best,
and Brenda is better than that. Head case.

johns

johns135
02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Another rssif/rssir refugee here. Due to my advanced age, I can no longer recall what name I used to post over there :oops:

Now if we could just lure Sling over to the dark side . . . :twisted:
Ellen

I think he broke so many bones he had to give it up. I was a gymnast too,
and I remember how totally nuts male gymnasts could get ... and bust.

happysk8tes
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Welcome to SkatingForums, Pat. I also attended the Lake Placid Adult Skating Camp. I was there in Aug, 2001, and broke my right wrist there, making it the nadir of my skating life :lol:. Hope your fracture isn't too bad and you can get back on the ice soon.

Well,,,,,,,,,,, with my coach's encouragement and Dr's OK, I have been back on the ice with my cast. Had a dance lesson - second lesson on the Hickory. I held on to my dance coach for dear life! We partnered the entire 15 minutes, slow with no music. Twas great fun.

Also had a 15 minute lesson with my free style coach. I've been wanting to do figures for quite a while, and this is the perfect time.

I'm going to try a public session tomorrow - most times there are only a couple of adults skating.

I'm nuts and I love it, and love that anyone here would understand!

So sorry you broke your wrist in Lake Placid - I hope it was toward the end of the week and not the start!

Pat

johns135
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
A little breakthrough in my "small jumps" this weekend. In the loop, I
learned to add a small hop up off the toe-pick at the 180 position.
I was kind of amazed that the hop went so straight up, and was
repeatable. Landing was easy too ... nothing skidding around. I think
this hop must go a bit earlier, so it comes just as I pull my arms in.
It is easy to do because I have just started the press-up onto the
toe pick, so I just change that to a small hop, and it works. Part of
the hop includes lifting the free leg at the knee, so it is a smooth
coordinated move. I'm not letting the rotation complete yet.

I also went back to the flip, and added the hop there. I don't spike at
all. Instead, I am just dragging the glide skate up to me by placing the
toe-pick on the ice and pulling with it. And as the glide skate reaches
me, I turn 180 on the ice and do the small hop. It is a little different
than the loop hop, because I'm already a bit up on the toe-pick. I think
that is wrong for now, but maybe not. My "teachers" flip is very easy,
and highly pre-rotated. I think the knee lift is very important here too.

The nicest thing about these small jumps is I can do them repeatably
and safely in a public session, and nobody seems worried that I might
run over a kid.

dbny
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Well,,,,,,,,,,, with my coach's encouragement and Dr's OK, I have been back on the ice with my cast.

Ah, not so bad then! My cast was above the elbow, making skating impossible, not that I wanted to anyway. I had a good deal of discomfort and the thought of whacking that cast against anything kept me pretty quiet. Even when I went to a splint, I was treating the arm gingerly, and still could not fully extend it. This was my third break on the right arm, and the other two were nothing compared to it, as I was 5 and 15, but this time was 54. I really think age made a huge difference, especially in recovery.

So sorry you broke your wrist in Lake Placid - I hope it was toward the end of the week and not the start!

Nope. First full day and I had just paid to take Pre-preliminary moves at the end of the week :frus:.

johns135
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello Fellow Skaters,

My new Freestyle Coach has taught me a new way to do a toe loop. Along a circle, first do a left outside 3-turn, then short back right glide. Pick your left skate into the ice, do a short pivot , then jump. Clearly not a full rotation, but it looks very pretty. Some day I may master it! But not too soon because I broke my left wrist last week. : ( And that leads to an injury thread I'll start another day.

Pat

I'm re-learning all my jumps with a good deal of pre-rotation. Something
I'm beginning to notice is, my small jumps are quickly turning back into
bigger jumps, but with strong emphasis on rocking to the toe-pick so
that the jump comes off the pick which is locked onto the ice. The pre-
rotation simply makes the spin much easier to get, and the pick in the
ice makes the jump more powerful with less effort ... and less need for
perfect timing and skill.

johns

je
03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Quick belated hello from another rssir denizen who is, as usual, behind in reading posts.

Johanna, there and here