View Full Version : Rinks in Australia?

Clare
02-20-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm spending 6 weeks in Australia from March 4th and, even though I can't fit my skates into my backpack :(, I'm toying with the idea of having a bash on a public session with a pair of rentals- mainly because the thought of no skating for almost 7 weeks fills me with misery!

I wonder if any Aus skaters could offer me some rink suggestions, ideas on good public sessions, etc? I have a feeling it may be school holidays since I'm over there around Easter so any advice would be very welcome!

I'm starting in Perth before heading over to Melbourne, Sydney and probably Brisbane from there.

Thanks in advance :)

SkatingOnClouds
02-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Hi Clare, I'm in Tasmania, so not a lot of help I'm afraid.

There is one rink in Melbourne, at Oakleigh, called the Olympic rink, though it isn't Olympic size. I know there are at least 3 in Sydney and a couple in Brisbane, and at least 2 in Perth. I am sure other Oz skaters will chime in about their local rinks.

Bunny Hop
02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Although I'm in the UK now, I am originally from Sydney. There are two main rinks within reasonable reach of central Sydney, both Olympic sized. I haven't skated at Canterbury (http://www.canterburyicerink.com.au/) for many, many years, but it was fine when I did so. I have skated at Macquarie (http://www.macquarieicerink.com.au/) more recently, namely when we were home the Christmas before last. The rink is in a shopping mall (the Macquarie Centre), and is very nice and light - full length window along one wall, and the ice quality is good, though it can get a bit wet in the middle of the day. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a session that suits you. (school holidays are 12-27 April, according to: this (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/events/vacations.html)). Be aware that the cost of public sessions is quite high, though the exchange rate will work in your favour! Depending on where you are staying, both Macquarie and Canterbury might be tricky by public transport, but pretty straightforward if you have a hire car (I would also add, that if going by public transport, I would be careful in the Canterbury area at night).

There are also 2-3 other rinks in what I would consider the outer suburbs, but I have no personal experience of any of these. They will take much longer to get to if you are staying in the Sydney city area.

Clare
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Great, thanks so much for the info. I'll jot these down and look into it :)

Award
02-22-2008, 04:56 AM
In brisbane, there are two 'iceworld' rinks, one of them in the suburb of boondall is reasonably close to the airport. While the other one is in acacia ridge, which might take 20 minutes drive or so out of downtown brisbane. I haven't tried the boondall one before. I've been to the acacia ridge one, where the rink was nice, except I went at the wrong time because there were about 500 school students there for group/recreational activities, and it was absolutely ridiculous with that many people on the ice at the time. I was in a similar situation - basically on holiday and wanted to skate (and didn't bring my skates). The rentals were not too bad, with sharp blades (to my surprise). I didn't like the staff in general there though at acacia ridge. They were stuck-up and snobby, and even downright rude/obnoxious. The only person that was nice and welcoming was the person that was handling the rental boots etc. So basically, I'm not going to go the acacia ridge one again. But will try the boondall one instead for my next trip to Brisbane.

Sessy
02-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Well maybe you'll be able to fit in your skates after all.
If it's any help here's what a guy from the army taught me about packing; try rolling your clothing instead of folding it. If you roll it very very tight, you can put in much more clothing in the same bag. Also it comes out less wrinkled. I'm pretty sure that if you do a google search on this you'll come up with some manual or something (can't be bothered to look it up myself).
This will not deminish the weight of your clothing, obviously, but hand luggage is usually limited to 10 kilograms which is often more than you'll fit into a bag of the allowed size. Plus, ladies' handbags and hip bags (kangoroo style) usually don't count towards the allowed weight. If all else fails, put on like 3 t-shirts and put a pullover (or two) around your waist with the arms knotted together. They can't tell you what to wear or no to wear, especially on long flights it can get pretty cold in the airplane anyway.

flutzilla1
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Macquarie Centre rink was my home rink when I lived in Sydney for 18 months, and it was the best rink I've ever skated at. Everyone there was so wonderfully welcoming and supportive from the minute I first walked in the door; it really became a second home for me. The mall it is in is accessible via bus from the city center -- there is a bus that leaves from the QVB that drops you off right at the front of the mall. If I remember correctly it took anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes to get there from the city, depending on traffic.

Enjoy your trip! I am INSANELY jealous.

Clare
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. I think, if I can fit it in, I will try and skate at Macquarie whilst I'm in Sydney- sounds good :)

NathanGlover
02-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Im from Perth, and we have a Rink out south of the river, in cockburn.

It's reasonable concealed but it's really popular and the staff are really nice :P

Clare
02-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Fabulous- thanks :)

fsk8r
02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Im from Perth, and we have a Rink out south of the river, in cockburn.

It's reasonable concealed but it's really popular and the staff are really nice :P

Has good coaches as well given that you've got our two expats!

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I do know there's a rink in Melbourne but, unfortunately, I've lost touch with the friend I had who skated there!