View Full Version : PCAS schedule is up!

TreSk8sAZ
02-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Pac Coasts Adult Sectionals schedule can be found at: http://oregonskating.org/

doubletoe
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks! I wish they would be kinder in their scheduling of the open Gold and Championship Gold events. Sigh. 1:00pm for Gold III and 4:40pm for Championship Gold is too far apart to stay warmed up but too close together to warm up again. . . :frus:

PattyP
02-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I wish they'd switch the Masters Interp event with Gold III. An Interp program would be a nice warm-up where a FS program takes a lot more out of me. Oh well. At least our event isn't at 7:00am!

doubletoe
02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I wish they'd switch the Masters Interp event with Gold III. An Interp program would be a nice warm-up where a FS program takes a lot more out of me. Oh well. At least our event isn't at 7:00am!

Yeah, considering the train wreck that was my 7:00am competition skate on Saturday, I am grateful for that as well! In spite of skating three 6:30am sessions per week for the past two years, I have not succeeded in becoming a decent morning skater. Must be hard-wired. :??

icedancer2
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks! I wish they would be kinder in their scheduling of the open Gold and Championship Gold events. Sigh. 1:00pm for Gold III and 4:40pm for Championship Gold is too far apart to stay warmed up but too close together to warm up again. . . :frus:

doubletoe - will you be doing any of the interpretive events on Sunday?

I probably won't be around for the Saturday afternoon portion of the competition, but will be there all day Sunday...

doubletoe
02-19-2008, 06:09 PM
doubletoe - will you be doing any of the interpretive events on Sunday?

I probably won't be around for the Saturday afternoon portion of the competition, but will be there all day Sunday...

No, on Sunday I will be juggling a busy schedule of viewing/cheering and wine tasting, heh heh. See you in the stands? :)

icedancer2
02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
No, on Sunday I will be juggling a busy schedule of viewing/cheering and wine tasting, heh heh. See you in the stands? :)

Well, you may see me up on the judge's stand! (yup!) and on the ice for low-test figures :oops: .

I'll be around. Have a good time when you are in Oregon! We will pray for beautiful weather (March-April are really on some level our prettiest months because all of the flowers/greenery start hatching...)

doubletoe
02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, you may see me up on the judge's stand! (yup!) and on the ice for low-test figures :oops: .

I'll be around. Have a good time when you are in Oregon! We will pray for beautiful weather (March-April are really on some level our prettiest months because all of the flowers/greenery start hatching...)

How cool! Yes, I love the Pacific Northwest in the springtime! (I am a proud Washington Husky!)

NoVa Sk8r
02-19-2008, 09:34 PM
No championship masters men?!

manleywoman
02-19-2008, 09:40 PM
No championship masters men?!

A perfect example of why they should get rid of Sectionals.

saras
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
*NINE* starts in the High Figures event....!

(I know, not a typical piece of Sectionals, but still)

I actually kinda agree with the idea of adding a Champ Qual round to AN. It'd cut down on travel expenses immensely, and while I adore Sectionals, they're expensive.

jazzpants
02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Sorry, manleywoman, but I respectfully disagree with you on eliminating Sectionals all together. It's one of the few opportunities left for No-Test/Pre-Bronze FS skaters to compete. I would agree to eliminating Sectionals all together ONLY if they allow No-Test and Pre-Bronze FS skaters at Nationals... and we know that's not gonna happen anytime soon. (Of course, THIS is not the thread to start that whole "Pre-Bronze at AN" topic... so if you wanna debate about it, start another thread! :P )

I have no problem with moving the qualifying events to Nationals and just have qual. rounds there. I guess my point is that we need to promote competitive adult skating... and we need to start from the bottom level skaters on up. Limiting the lower level skaters on their options to compete is not going to help get more adult skaters and we need to encourage more adult skaters to compete and move up the ranks, especially the men!!! :P

And NoVa... re: Masters Men... I have NO CLUE what happened with Ted Gradman. Mike Dianda isn't competing anymore these days (he's not skating much) and primary coach has "retired" from competing again. I haven't seen Boise Ding in years either... I don't see anyone in Championship Adult Gold Man moving up either. (Speaking of which... how is Nick Chou and his back??? I hope he's okay this year to skate. I am thinking of him as we're getting close to Sectionals and Nationals.)

manleywoman
02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Sorry, manleywoman, but I respectfully disagree with you on eliminating Sectionals all together. It's one of the few opportunities left for No-Test/Pre-Bronze FS skaters to compete. I would agree to eliminating Sectionals all together ONLY if they allow No-Test and Pre-Bronze FS skaters at Nationals... and we know that's not gonna happen anytime soon. (Of course, THIS is not the thread to start that whole "Pre-Bronze at AN" topic... so if you wanna debate about it, start another thread! :P )

I have no problem with moving the qualifying events to Nationals and just have qual. rounds there. I guess my point is that we need to promote competitive adult skating... and we need to start from the bottom level skaters on up. Limiting the lower level skaters on their options to compete is not going to help get more adult skaters and we need to encourage more adult skaters to compete and move up the ranks, especially the men!!! :P
I'm not saying you can't still organize a competition there. Have as many competitions as you like. There's just no point in having SECTIONALS there. Some sections don't have enough people to bother, and the ones that do are being forced to spend money, spend vacation time, and juggle families to fly somewhere to qualify, even if there are only two of them in an event.

But feel free to have as many lower-level competitions as you want. Nobody is saying that should end. Simply remove the qualifying events.

I am very pleased to hear there are nine entries in the figures event! I had asked Mids to hold a figures event, and while they liked the idea, it was too late to organize it. Perhaps other local competitions that include adults can start to offer it.

icedancer2
02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I am very pleased to hear there are nine entries in the figures event! I had asked Mids to hold a figures event, and while they liked the idea, it was too late to organize it. Perhaps other local competitions that include adults can start to offer it.

Actually there are 12 entries - 9 in "high" figures and 3 in low.

That's great that the Mids organizers liked the idea - hopefully this will lead to more events like this!

flutzilla1
02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm envious -- we here out East don't have even a tentative schedule for Easterns yet...:( :(

TimDavidSkate
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm envious -- we here out East don't have even a tentative schedule for Easterns yet...:( :(

8O 8O 8O

icedancer2
02-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum on other forums, but why are the Championship events (which I believe are qualifiers for AN) judged on the 6.0 system when they will be judged on the IJS system for AN?

Is this correct? Are they qualifiers?

doubletoe
02-20-2008, 01:34 PM
And NoVa... re: Masters Men... I have NO CLUE what happened with Ted Gradman. Mike Dianda isn't competing anymore these days (he's not skating much) and primary coach has "retired" from competing again. I haven't seen Boise Ding in years either... I don't see anyone in Championship Adult Gold Man moving up either. (Speaking of which... how is Nick Chou and his back??? I hope he's okay this year to skate. I am thinking of him as we're getting close to Sectionals and Nationals.)

I saw Boise at the rink last week for the first time in quite awhile and he confirmed that he is not going to Sectionals or Nationals this year. Nick Chou is sitting out this season as well, although he is now skating once or twice a week (and looking good).

manleywoman
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum on other forums, but why are the Championship events (which I believe are qualifiers for AN) judged on the 6.0 system when they will be judged on the IJS system for AN?

Is this correct? Are they qualifiers?

Time and resources don't allow it.

jazzpants
02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I saw Boise at the rink last week for the first time in quite awhile and he confirmed that he is not going to Sectionals or Nationals this year. Nick Chou is sitting out this season as well, although he is now skating once or twice a week (and looking good).Hmmm? I wonder who the Gold Men are this year then... Gary K. is sitting out this year for Gold too. ("Been to Lake Placid too many times...," he says :P )

Hmmmm? Andy Schell and Gilbert Chang are the only two I could think of here that might do Championship Gold at PCAS then... I don't think a lot of our male skaters at my rink are going to AS or AN this year. It's almost like a flu bug going with about AN this year. Sad! :cry: (However, we do have at least one new Championship Gold Ladies competing with you this year...) :D

Say hi to Nick Chou and let him know that I've been doing a few waltz-loops and sal-loops for him! (He suggested to me the last time I saw him to start doing loops attached to my existing jumps... Loop-loops are already in my FS program, flip-loops are only when I feel either lucky or suicidal, and I don't have enough of a lutz to even think of trying a lutz-loop now.... :twisted: :lol: ) And nice to know that he's at least skating and looking good.

And let's hope that AN 2009 is at a locale that I can afford going to and there's some sightseeing. I'll bet if it's LA or Vegas that we'll get more people to go!!! :P

daisies
02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry, manleywoman, but I respectfully disagree with you on eliminating Sectionals all together. It's one of the few opportunities left for No-Test/Pre-Bronze FS skaters to compete.
Just reiterating what manleywoman said ... "Sectionals" is the qualifying "Championship" events. The No-Test/Pre-Bronze events -- as well as Silver and Bronze, and all the non-qualifying Golds and Masters, Interp, etc. -- are an open, all-adult competition, not Sectionals. That is why there are two separate announcements -- one qualifying, one non-qualifying.

So when manleywoman advocates doing away with "Sectionals" -- and I agree with her, btw -- it's the qualifying aspect of it. Remember, before we had adult sectionals, we had the West Coast Adult Open ... "Sectionals" was just tacked on to it for the Pacific Coast. No reason it can't go back to be the West Coast Adult Open!

jazzpants
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
So when manleywoman advocates doing away with "Sectionals" -- and I agree with her, btw -- it's the qualifying aspect of it. Remember, before we had adult sectionals, we had the West Coast Adult Open ... "Sectionals" was just tacked on to it for the Pacific Coast. No reason it can't go back to be the West Coast Adult Open!
I have no problem with that then... (The "going back to the West Coast Adult Open and the qualifying round at Adult Nationals instead..." part.) Yeah, I know what you mean about the expense of traveling part. I mean, I haven't gone to any of the PCAS myself b/c of the expense either (other than the one in Oakland and only b/c it was local to me and I had a program to skate to then.)

I just read "do away with Sectionals" and I thought "no more Pacific Coast competitions! Where are the lower level skaters going to skate?" Sure, there are local comps in my neck of the woods and probably some in LA... but a lot of the more local comps that I've seen announcements for don't have many Pre-Bronze skaters. They all get lumped at Bronze. (I'm lucky that I have Skate San Francisco where there's more adult events and there's not so much "lumping other adults in a group" thing.)

*sigh* I wish there was some way of getting more "new blood" into the adult skating community though... I noticed a decline this past Skate SF of adult skaters compared with the year before and the year before that, particularly with the MEN. Me thinks it's probably the economy thing... :??

PattyP
02-20-2008, 05:03 PM

WINE TASTING?? Oh man...that's not fair. I'm stuck skating at the end of the day. Do you think my coach would mind if I showed up a little tipsy for my event?? It's comedy anyway...I would probably perform better with a little Oregon Pinot in me!

jazzpants
02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
WINE TASTING?? Oh man...that's not fair. I'm stuck skating at the end of the day. Do you think my coach would mind if I showed up a little tipsy for my event?? It's comedy anyway...I would probably perform better with a little Oregon Pinot in me!THAT'S IT! I'm coming up there to join 'ya guys on the stands!!! :twisted: :lol: (Just kidding!!! I'm a tee totaller... but I do wonder what would happen if I came on the ice at my event a little tipsy? I don't think Jay would mind, would he? :halo: ;) )

Terri C
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM

Hang tight fellow Easterns peeps, the schedule will be out soon enough.

doubletoe
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
WINE TASTING?? Oh man...that's not fair. I'm stuck skating at the end of the day. Do you think my coach would mind if I showed up a little tipsy for my event?? It's comedy anyway...I would probably perform better with a little Oregon Pinot in me!

We'll pick you up a bottle and have it ready to uncork as soon as you step off the ice! I'd throw it on the ice for you, but. . . ;)

PattyP
02-20-2008, 05:25 PM
We'll pick you up a bottle and have it ready to uncork as soon as you step off the ice! I'd throw it on the ice for you, but. . . ;)

LOL, yep that would be alcohol abuse!

That sounds good to me :D :D

doubletoe
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
From what people are saying, it sounds like the other adult sectionals schedules show the number of entries in each event, but I can't find the number of entries per event on the PCAS schedule. Am I just missing it?

GordonSk8erBoi
02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
From what people are saying, it sounds like the other adult sectionals schedules show the number of entries in each event, but I can't find the number of entries per event on the PCAS schedule. Am I just missing it?

I've not seen anything like that.

TreSk8sAZ
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM

No, unfortunately PCAS is the only schedule that does not show the number of entries. The other sections have an added column that shows how many people in each group.

GordonSk8erBoi
02-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Practice Ice schedule was mailed last night.

SK8RX
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
5:30 a.m. practice ice on Saturday morning? 8O The spirit may be willing, but I don't know if my body works at that time of day.;)

MusicSkateFan
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
8-) This year at Senior Nationals some of the Senior Ladies had their free skates at what, 9:40am local time? That meant their 20 minute warm up was probably 6am ish...I figure we can't complain!!

icedancer2
02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
5:30 a.m. practice ice on Saturday morning? 8O The spirit may be willing, but I don't know if my body works at that time of day.;)

I know how you feel - I think on the day of my event, the practice is at 6 or something - I can't imagine driving all the way there at that time to warm up at 6 and then have to wait a few hours to compete - and then be there all day judging??

You guys are lucky if you are staying close by at the of the "host hotels" - I have a 40 minute drive just to get there! (although at that itme of day it might be more like 25 minutes...)

pedonskates
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
How far are the host hotels? Like 10-15 minutes, right? That totally beats my 1 hour 45 minute commute to the rink right now (each way!)

The trick to that weekend will be the daylight savings thing. Living in Arizona, we don't do that, so it makes things a little confusing for me - are my parents on the east coast 2 or 3 hours ahead today???? Hopefully the LOC and hotels will remind skaters. At AN 2005 we arrived late at night and the clocks in the rental car and hotel hadn't been changed, so we didn't notice the next morning that things were off until my roommate talked to her husband!! At least we didn't have anything to do until the afternoon.....

Do we know who the 9 souls are doing the high level figures? I know I am one as is saras. Anyone else? I'm looking forward to clean ice without people slamming into me. I stood my ground trying the brackets on Saturday and almost got run over. Usually I'm the one to yield.

I'm also hoping that stamina will be better when I'm alone on the ice - no dodging. Using precious oxygen to say "excuse me" is not fun!! Competition adrenaline should kick in as well since 3:40 is a long time!!!

Brenda

AshBugg44
02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Good luck to everyone next weekend! I'll be coaching at another competition in the area, an ISI one! :)

GordonSk8erBoi
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Do we know who the 9 souls are doing the high level figures? I know I am one as is saras. Anyone else? I'm looking forward to clean ice without people slamming into me. I stood my ground trying the brackets on Saturday and almost got run over. Usually I'm the one to yield.

I know 3 people doing figures, all from PDX. One of them is a coach, one is a FS (and dance?) competitor, and another is a dance competitor and judge.

Brenda, make sure to say hi. I'm sure I will remember your face when I see you, I used to skate at Gateway/Polar Ice/Tucson Ice and I'll representing TFSC when I skate Sunday.

pedonskates
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Gordon, I will try to find you. It should be fairly easy since there aren't a ton of male skaters.
I'm not sure that we ever crossed paths since I've been here not even 3 years yet and always skated the early am sessions before work. No coffee club for me - couldn't sneak out. Early mornings are good since the patients are usually still asleep and their parents havent yet figured out that they have a fever. :)
It is sad that that rink is gone, but hopefully some day soon we'll get a much nicer one!!!

Brenda
looking forward to doing figures

manleywoman
02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Wish I could be doing the figures with you all. I just started 4th test last week. Have fun!