View Full Version : Help - mistake buying new skates

skatingdoris
02-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Before Christmas I ordered some new boots from the person has always sorted out my skates for me (yes this person is a reputable fitter) they are Riedell gold stars.

Anyway last week I went round to try them on and they seemed to fit fine, toes flush against the front heel not moving around etc, so had some blades mounted (not the ones I actually wanted but I am impatient and thought I’d settle for a different blade rather than put up with the wait time for ordering).

Took them skating for the first time on Sunday and realised the are horrendously big – not put up with them for a year try again next time too big, they are massive I can not skate in these boots:cry: and am going to have to replace tham with something else.

I do not think that it is the fitter’s fault, he was willing to spend a lot of time while I sat with them on deciding if they were okay, but I think two things happened:

a) I misinterpreted what he was saying, that because they were new that the padding around the heels would push my feet forward in the boot. For whatever reason I stupidly didn’t equate this to ‘my feet will move backwards and there will be a lot more room in the front of the boot’.

b) Having waited two months for the boots I was a bit keen to get them, and ignored any niggling doubts I had when trying them on.

Coming to the end of my long story, I really just wanted to pick everyone’s brains about what I should do now? They have only been skated in for 10-15 minutes, but am I right in believing that once blades have been mounted the boots are now effectively second hand?

I am a typical English person in that I am not good at complaining and kicking up a fuss, but will do when I have to. I have always enjoyed a good relationship with this individual and don’t want to ruin that now. Should I contact him about it and what can I expect in response?

Any thoughts, advice is much welcomed – other than you are a muppet, I already know that!!!

Thanks xx

NickiT
02-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Oh no. What a nightmare. Well obviously they won't do and if I were you I would talk to your fitter about the situation. Maybe he could find a suitable buyer for you. I'm off to get new boots next week so will bear what you said in mind about ensuring I have no niggles. Anyway good luck and I hope you get most of your money back on them.

Nicki

jenlyon60
02-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Also, if you are in private lessons, mention to your coach that you have a pair of boots that are too big. She/he may know of a skater at your level that the boots might fit, and you could sell them to that person.

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Ring up your fitter and talk to him; explain what has happened and ask his advice.

Summerkid710
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
In the pro shop that I work at, there are times we will take back skates that have been skated in for a short time for a small "restocking fee" -- usually 10%-15%. So, you wouldn't get a full refund but it is better than trying to sell them on consignment or leaving them in your closet. We would then sell these at a discount since skaters are always looking for deals. It may be an option for you.

Query
02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
What are niggles????

If fitter won't take it back, or help, use a thicker insole, or add another. Make it by cutting a piece of flexible leather to the same outline as the current ones. Works beautifully. Though you will still have to deal with big heavy oversized boots that will just get in the way of your skating.

If the loose fit is in the heels, make the new insole a bit wide there, so it comes up besides your heel a bit. Same for the arch, if it is loose there.

But niggles?

NickiT
02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
What are niggles????

nig·gle (nĭg'əl) Pronunciation Key
intr.v. nig·gled, nig·gling, nig·gles

1. To be preoccupied with trifles or petty details.
2. To find fault constantly and trivially; carp. See Synonyms at quibble.

Nicki

doubletoe
02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
If fitter won't take it back, or help, use a thicker insole, or add another. Make it by cutting a piece of flexible leather to the same outline as the current ones. Works beautifully. Though you will still have to deal with big heavy oversized boots that will just get in the way of your skating.

If the loose fit is in the heels, make the new insole a bit wide there, so it comes up besides your heel a bit. Same for the arch, if it is loose there.

That's actually a great suggestion. My new skates were just a tiny bit roomier than I wanted, so I am using thin heat moldable insoles and they have taken up just the right amount of space to give me a perfect fit.

I am using the Softec Slim Sport insoles. The Softec Regular insoles will be thicker and take up more room, and the Ultra Softec is even thicker and will take up even more room. Of course if the only problem is the length of the boots, the insoles might not be the perfect solution as they will take up width as well.

isakswings
02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
That's actually a great suggestion. My new skates were just a tiny bit roomier than I wanted, so I am using thin heat moldable insoles and they have taken up just the right amount of space to give me a perfect fit.

I am using the Softec Slim Sport insoles. The Softec Regular insoles will be thicker and take up more room, and the Ultra Softec is even thicker and will take up even more room. Of course if the only problem is the length of the boots, the insoles might not be the perfect solution as they will take up width as well.

Ooohh. I may look into those for my skates. Thanks!!

Query
02-20-2008, 10:02 AM

Can you cut them so they aren't too wide?

There is a gal here who used too wide insoles (technically, orthotics). It gradually pressed out the sides of her boots until they no longer fit properly!

The other problem: most moldable insoles can fit your foot bottom, but not your skate. Then you rock and shift all over the places, causing other control problems, along with blisters and impact bruises. It is better (but slower) to cut flexible leather and use tape to customize it to fit.

Unless anyone knows an insole (or even better, a moldable sock) that can be molded top and bottom, and maybe sides? That would solve everyone's fit problems.

skatingdoris
02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Just a quick update -

Spoke to and went round to see my skate man today; he has been great, really helpful and accommodating.

Have been trying on different sizes of boots and think we have found something in a smaller but slightly wider pair. Between us we are trying to find a home for the ‘too big’ pair to help cover the cost of the new ones.

Thanks for letting me vent and for all the suggestions/advice, it is very much appreciated

xx

NickiT
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Just a quick update -

Spoke to and went round to see my skate man today; he has been great, really helpful and accommodating.

Have been trying on different sizes of boots and think we have found something in a smaller but slightly wider pair. Between us we are trying to find a home for the ‘too big’ pair to help cover the cost of the new ones.

Thanks for letting me vent and for all the suggestions/advice, it is very much appreciated

xx

So glad you are getting it sorted. I'm sure you're not the first person to have this problem and won't be the last.

Nicki