View Full Version : Do you think you could ever learn to be lifted in Skating?

FSWer
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Say,a friend and I were talking about this. So I thought I'd ask it. But as a skater do you think you could ever learn to be lifted? LOL,for me...I might be a little nervous and scared at first. But I believe I could do it. Ok Kids.....GO!!!!

Mel On Ice
02-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I think it would be fun. I've already learned a throw jump.

deannathegeek
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
HECK no! My butt is too big to be lifted, and my legs aren't strong enough to land without killing myself.

Muskoka Skater
02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I think I could be. I might be a little scared at first but after a while I wouldn't be scared. I'm also small so who ever was lifting me wouldn't have a problem unless they were smaller then me!

littlekateskate
02-19-2008, 07:44 AM
I would love it. I would be a fun feeling.

Skittl1321
02-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I have no doubt at all that I COULD learn to be lifted. But I do know that I never WILL. As much as I'd love to do that, I can't take the risks associated with it- falling could potenitally cause me a lot of harm (the same reason I don't think I'll ever learn an axel or a double jump- I can't risk the falls)

Sessy
02-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Probably not, given that I know of like... two guys around my age skating in my country, and one of those guys is the national champion. :frus:

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Well, I couldn't do it this morning! We managed one stag lift, but I kept panicking and not coping at all. Husband wanted to go back to our old lift, but I don't think so! So we'll either take out a lift altogether this year (the couple at our level who won every time last year didn't have one!) or settle for an assisted 3-jump, or maybe practice and practice.... but like I said, it wasn't happening this morning!

Rusty Blades
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
With my height (5' 9") a Pairs partner would have to be well over 6 feet tall which would put me 9 FEET above the ice in an overhead lift ..... at my age, NO THANK YOU! (It was scary enough when I was 15 and 3 inches shorter!)

Morgail
02-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Sure, but I'd either have to lose some weight or find a big guy to partner with :lol: Although, I'd rather learn some of those interesting dance lifts than the scary, way-over-the-head pairs lifts. If I'm going to be dropped, I'd rather fall a shorter distance;)

Skate@Delaware
02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I believe I could. Hubby and I use to do partner waltz jumps, which I know are nowhere close, but another skating friend and I used to do them and he used to PUSH me up....which was almost like a throw!!! It was exhilirating to achieve such height on just a waltz jump!

I can do that but I get scared to cross my feet on crossovers...:frus:

Query
02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
As a somewhat overweight male, I'm not gonna be lifted.

You've asked about this a few times. Why not try? If you are nervous, maybe off-ice first, over a padded mat, or wear lots of padding (hockey gear, and/or thick snowpants and the like).

Lots of male ballet modern, and ballroom dancers do lifts. Around Maryland, I've seen at least one skating coach lift several adult students. Strong football players and wrestlers sometimes lift each other. Or find a Sumo.

phoenix
02-20-2008, 08:16 AM
I've done lifts in the past w/ my old dance partner. I am now in the process of losing 35 pounds (8O ) to see if my coach will be able to lift me then--enough to do free dance tests. (14 pounds so far!!) He still may not, because there's nothing I can do about my height, but that's the most I can lose & still be healthy so we'll see. The lift requirements are much more difficult now than they used to be, so it may not be possible.

flo
02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Yup - feels like flying.

CanAmSk8ter
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Say,a friend and I were talking about this. So I thought I'd ask it. But as a skater do you think you could ever learn to be lifted? LOL,for me...I might be a little nervous and scared at first. But I believe I could do it. Ok Kids.....GO!!!!

Wait... aren't you a guy, though?

For me, no problem. I've done some low dance lifts with different guys/coaches. I'm not small enough for pairs in the traditional sense, but if I ever went back to skating and knew of a guy who wanted to do adult pairs, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

kayskate
02-21-2008, 06:19 AM
I'd have to find a left-handed bionic man to partner me.

Kay

SynchroSk8r114
02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I never thought I would like it, but last year my synchronized skating team did an exhibition in which I was the one who got lifted. I was parallel to the ice with two skaters holding me under my arms and a third holding one of my outstretched legs. The other leg I held bent under me. The lift looked like this--12th photo down of Miami University. (Note: this is not my team!)

http://synchronizedskatingmag.com/photos/2007-worlds-photos-pg2.html

Getting lifted was a lot of fun and it definitely helped instill trust in my teammates not to drop me. Not only do you rely on your teammates knowing what to do and working together, but you yourself also has to know what to do to make things easier on those lifting you. It really is all about teamwork!We, of course, worked it off ice a few times before taking it on ice. We had no problems and I always felt safe and steady.

RoaringSkates
02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd like to see some guy try to lift me. 8O More likely, I'd lift him.