View Full Version : coach etiquette

Logan3
02-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Here is the situation. Few months ago we ended the contract with dd's coach since dd did not want to take privates anymore. Now dd is thinking to start again in the summer. That will be 9-10 months after she stopped. We might change rink (for practical reasons) and look in to a new coach situation also for practical reasons (time availability). Do I still have to contact the old coach and explain the situation? thanks!

Skittl1321
02-17-2008, 05:27 PM
I would think that if you ended your contract and told the old coach you no longer needed their services you'd be done. The new coach may want to contact the old coach to make sure all bills are paid and such, which means it may be awkward if they hear it from someone else instead of you, so you might want to contact the old coach to tell them you are going to be working with someone else, but I would think it's not necessary.

/ I think changing coaches is unnecessarily difficult and do not understand why there need to be so many politics associated with it.

littlekateskate
02-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Ugh the dreaded coach change... But after that long of a time if you are that uncomforatble telling them, then dont. If you have their email you may want to throw them a note explaining.

Good Luck!

Virtualsk8r
02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
/ I think changing coaches is unnecessarily difficult and do not understand why there need to be so many politics associated with it.

Coaches are not employees but professionals providing their services to a skater, generally based on an oral agreement that either party can sever the relationship with notice.

It's not politics - but business ethics and good manners. Parents that change coaches without severing that agreement or contract, are not only in breach but showing a lack of respect for the professionalism of coaching.

Coaches who take on new students without ensuring that the previous coaching relationship has been severed, or that the previous coach is aware of the new arrangement - are also showing a lack of professionalism and ethics.

It's really not that difficult to switch coaches. Just have the guts to tell your current coach that you would like to change and thank them for their efforts - plus pay all your bills. Then feel free to switch to whatever coach you want.

The problem lies with parents who don't have the guts to face the coach - and sneak around rather than deal with the issue. Same with coaches who mysteriously quit teaching skaters without telling the parent that they should find another coach.

Virtualsk8r
02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Here is the situation. Few months ago we ended the contract with dd's coach since dd did not want to take privates anymore. Now dd is thinking to start again in the summer. That will be 9-10 months after she stopped. We might change rink (for practical reasons) and look in to a new coach situation also for practical reasons (time availability). Do I still have to contact the old coach and explain the situation? thanks!

Most coaches have had students quit - and return later. Not all coaches want the student back, nor have room for them either.

If you are planning to skate at the same rink, it would be nice to 'run into' the old coach on the first day and say Hi - Janie has decided to come back and skate with Mike- since you no longer have a relationship with them.

And if you are going to a new rink - don't worry! If your bills are paid up (and they should have been months ago) - it's a new ball game. Hope your dd sticks with it this time and really enjoys herself!

teresa
02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
I do think you should talk to your coach even if you change rinks. Skating is a small community and they should hear it from you and not via the grapevine. You should treat others the way you would like to be treated. Sometimes changes need to occur or should occur and being honest is always best. Just my opinion.

teresa

Mrs Redboots
02-18-2008, 05:17 AM
It's not politics - but business ethics and good manners. Parents that change coaches without severing that agreement or contract, are not only in breach but showing a lack of respect for the professionalism of coaching. In an ideal world - but coaches are human, too.

Debbie S
02-18-2008, 07:54 AM
If you've told the coach your daughter won't be taking lessons from her anymore, then you've fulfilled your obligation. As has been said here already, the problem is if you go to another coach w/o officially ending things with the previous one. The new coach will probably ask you who your daughter's had lessons with before and if you've officially ended the relationship - as long as the new coach hears that you did, there shouldn't be any problem. Especially since it's been 9-10 months.