View Full Version : Changing Feet on Spiral Sequence

fsk8r
02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm currently working on my level 3 field moves and have test papers in (panic about to happen). I've noticed (and my coach also) that when I change from a left inside to a right inside spiral my shoulders come around and my weight is falling into the circle. She says that this is then preventing me getting my leg higher on the RI spiral as my left leg is out at some funny angle and not directly behind me. (I don't think the angle is that extreme as I'm not aware of it).
I don't have this problem going from the RO to LO spirals on the second side, its just the LI to RI one, so I'm thinking its an inside edge problem. I'm just wondering if there any tips to stop my shoulders coming around as I'm doing the sprials. I've got my arms in a general flying position (straight to the sides).
I've still not worked out whether this is a general inside edge problem, as I can be picked up on my 3 turn exercises for falling into my inside edges after the turns, but I can correct that when I think about it. I can't correct the spirals.
Tips and techniques would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Mrs Redboots
02-18-2008, 05:21 AM
It's those spirals mean I'll probably never get my Level 3 now, alas.... I find I sometimes have this problem with the changes-of-edge - my shoulders simply won't go where they're put, especially on the LO-I and the RI-O (I love, and am good at, that exercise and the Russian Stroking one, but the other two? Forget it!).

Probably that's why they put these exercises on level 3 - to ensure we have our shoulders under control before moving on up! That and edge quality, which is the focus of every move!

I would have thought that if, for you, it wasn't a spiral-specific problem your coach would have commented on it in the other exercises.

kayskate
02-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Holding arms in the positions you use for basic inside edges will probably help. Your prob may be the straightforward airplane position. Your arms/shoulders are trying to steer and are snapping when you finally let them go. When I learned these, I practiced w upright arabesques while manipulating my arms as though I were doing inside edges then did the spirals w similar arm positions.

Kay

Isk8NYC
02-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Kay's right - the shoulders make a world of difference on these patterns.

Think of each FI spiral lobe as three sections. Start with the arms/shoulders cross-checked for the first third, full position for the second third, then normal check for the final third. Keep them checked as you bend your knees and push into the next spiral - it's already cross-checked, so there's no bobble or arm-switching to throw you off.

Our PM pattern calls for a length of alternating FO spirals followed by a second length of alternating FI spirals. When I practice these, I usually start with FI spirals, then do the normal FO and FI patterns. It's helped build my strength - the second set of FI spirals are tiring and I can feel the burn in my hip sockets. When I do the "real" pattern, it's much easier now.

fsk8r
02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Can someone explain in really simple terms where the arms start for a Left inside spiral?
Sorry, but I used to have moving arms on inside edges and then I got a dance coach and she stopped all movement so they start in one position and don't change until the next edge, and I can't remember where they used to be before. I think it's meant to be opposite arm to edge, but I'm not 100% sure.
But the idea of moving the arms around sounds like it might help stop the snap I'm feeling (and it's a strong snap as my back complains if I do too many of them).

fsk8r
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
It's those spirals mean I'll probably never get my Level 3 now, alas.... I find I sometimes have this problem with the changes-of-edge - my shoulders simply won't go where they're put, especially on the LO-I and the RI-O (I love, and am good at, that exercise and the Russian Stroking one, but the other two? Forget it!).

Probably that's why they put these exercises on level 3 - to ensure we have our shoulders under control before moving on up! That and edge quality, which is the focus of every move!

I would have thought that if, for you, it wasn't a spiral-specific problem your coach would have commented on it in the other exercises.

Personally I wonder who put the spirals in the test as they're impossible to practice. And I'm not looking forward to the backwards skating one on level 4 as that will be impossible. NISA must think we all skate at empty rinks! Mine is NEVER empty at any time I can get down there.

dbny
02-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Can someone explain in really simple terms where the arms start for a Left inside spiral?

For a LFI spiral, begin with R arm in front, L arm in back. As you get to the top of the lobe (per Isk8NYC), bring arms into "airplane" position. Continue rotating shoulders so that by the end of the lobe, the L arm is in front, ready to begin the RFI spiral.

fsk8r
02-18-2008, 12:36 PM
For a LFI spiral, begin with R arm in front, L arm in back. As you get to the top of the lobe (per Isk8NYC), bring arms into "airplane" position. Continue rotating shoulders so that by the end of the lobe, the L arm is in front, ready to begin the RFI spiral.

Thanks for that. I'll try it tomorrow night and see if I can persuade my arms and shoulders to go where they're meant to. I'll let you know how it goes.

Isk8NYC
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Can someone explain in really simple terms where the arms start for a Left inside spiral? A left inside spiral starts with the right arm/shoulder in front. That's called a "cross check" position, as I mentioned in my original post.

Mrs Redboots
02-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Personally I wonder who put the spirals in the test as they're impossible to practice. And I'm not looking forward to the backwards skating one on level 4 as that will be impossible. NISA must think we all skate at empty rinks! Mine is NEVER empty at any time I can get down there.
Nor is ours, but we manage! Husband is struggling with level 4, especially that double back inside 3 they've craftily snuck in to the backwards Russian stroking! Which is also harder than it looks, as the back inside edge has to be practically flat, and that's not easy, either.

fsk8r
02-20-2008, 01:04 AM
A left inside spiral starts with the right arm/shoulder in front. That's called a "cross check" position, as I mentioned in my original post.

Thanks for that. I tried it last night, and moving the arms is definitely helping, but I think what I noticed was that despite moving the arms to stop the whip, which pulls me into the circle, I seem to turn the body up so it's looking into the circle.
Haven't worked out why I'm doing that but I can change from LI to LO without the problem, so I've created a problem in my head with the step down. I think I'm going to work on arms and LI to LO next time I get down and get the feel for that (the silly exercise only has LO to LI in it despite starting on a different foot on the second side, they just change the order the spirals are in!). I'm hoping if I can get that feel I can just change feet at the changeover. I get the feeling I need to aim for a flat to stop the edge dropping too far into the circle. Does that make sense?