View Full Version : What do you do at home to help practice?

littlekateskate
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
My daughter is in LTS and we just do stretches, we do spirals with very tiny weights, shoot the ducks, and lundges..

What else do you practice at home or have your kids practice at home?

deannathegeek
02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
My older daughter (9 yrs) & I go running, while my younger daughter (6 yrs) & I focus on more fun stuff, like dance DVDs. We all do dance aerobics together, like Sweatin' to the Oldies, but each of us at our own pace. I'm of the belief that it doesn't matter what you do to get a child to exercise as long as they do it.

dbny
02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I hold positions in front of a full length mirror, and note what they feel like so I can reproduce them on ice. For example, I recently became aware that my trailing arm is not as high as it should be on FXO's. Looking in the mirror, I could see when it was where it should be, and then took that feeling onto the ice.

Kim to the Max
02-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I generally stretch at home. But, I try to make sure I have been at least a little active before I do that so that I don't stretch cold muscles.

Occasionally, I will do some jumps on the floor, but I generally find those a little awkward and don't like to do them often. But I really need to start doing my axels on the floor again to work on the rotation and pulling my legs in.

hepcat
02-17-2008, 01:05 AM
My daughter has a spinner, but I have to admit she uses it more for fun than serious practice.

She stretches and does crunches before bed (on the order of her coach, not me).

I recently got her some very light weights to help her with upper body strength.

That's about it. We also just spend time away from the rink trying to do non-skating activities to keep a balance in our lives...

Mrs Redboots
02-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Mostly abs exercises and shoulder stretches, but some stretching and flexibility work, too.

Morgail
02-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I stretch and do off-ice jumps. I should start doing crunches and one-legged squats again, but I've been lazy:halo:

Helen88
02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I stretch everyday - and it's REALLY payed off - I went from a girl who couldn't touch her toes to the most flexible in her PE group, and now I've got my splits! Which I'm really proud of, because my parents told me I'd never be able to do them, because we all have the wrong body type. I also to strengthening exercises twice a week (crunches/sit-ups, squats, etc). And of course, I jump and spin in my socks at every available point in the day...it hasn't been unknown for me to start running over my foxtrot on the football pitch and doing spirals in the changing rooms :P