View Full Version : what about off ice training/power stroking if not offered in your area?

Maggi315
02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
We have been looking at some of the other things my daughter is weak in, and realized that in many parts of the country, things like ballet, pilates, power stroking, dance, weight training and more are offered at the rinks. We have 3 local rinks in our area and none of them offer any of this.

We tried to find a ballet class, but none were really geared to ice skating and at her age most want a huge commitment both in time, practice and money.

Any suggestions/ She is doing yoga and pilates with me, which she likes. And we hope to have her do weight training at the Y, although I would like to have a program based on what she needs for her skating.

Is it possible to travel somewhere to get someone to make up a training regime or something for us to follow at home? We have seen summer camps, she's looking at one in lehigh valley which she would like (she has anxieety disorder and could never stay a week by herself overnight).

other than that, my choices are driving 2 hours each way weekly to another rink, something that is just about impossible with 4 other kids and working as a homebirth midwife on call all the time.

thanks for any advice! do you think that in order to really move up and compete more seriously all those things are necessary?

deannathegeek
02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I know it isn't really geared toward skating, but my daughter loves Bella Dancerella. Bella is an Australian teenager who puts out numerous dance DVDs with footwork mats. It's worth the investment-they're fun, easy to do at home, and because she has it at home she can do it anytime without having to go to a studion. Bella has DVDs for ballet, pop dancing, and cheerleading. You can also find other types of dance at home DVDs, including the new Hannah Montana set. For kids younger than 8, it's a really good first step to see if it interests your child before spending tons of money on classes.

kayskate
02-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Maybe her coach can design a program for her or recommend someone. Or get a few sessions w a personal trainer at the Y. Ask if any of them have a skating background. You may be pleasantly surprised. If there are dance schools in your area, they will probably all offer ballet for children. IMO, it is harder to find ballet classes for adults. They are mostly geared toward kids.

Kay

littlekateskate
02-15-2008, 07:10 AM
I know it isn't really geared toward skating, but my daughter loves Bella Dancerella. Bella is an Australian teenager who puts out numerous dance DVDs with footwork mats. It's worth the investment-they're fun, easy to do at home, and because she has it at home she can do it anytime without having to go to a studion. Bella has DVDs for ballet, pop dancing, and cheerleading. You can also find other types of dance at home DVDs, including the new Hannah Montana set. For kids younger than 8, it's a really good first step to see if it interests your child before spending tons of money on classes.

I dont know how old your daughter is.. But mine has this as well. I cant imagine anyone though much over the age of 4 or 5 enjoying this. Its very very basic.

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
It might be worth asking your daughter's coach where other people go to do off-ice training - there may well be a particular gym, or a particular trainer, that several skaters have found helpful. Or ask the other mums where, if anywhere, their skaters go.

deannathegeek
02-15-2008, 09:05 AM
I dont know how old your daughter is.. But mine has this as well. I cant imagine anyone though much over the age of 4 or 5 enjoying this. Its very very basic.

Claire just turned 6, but even my 9 year old daughter (Savannah) enjoys doing these from time to time. I myself prefer Sweatin' To The Oldies-Richard Simmons is my hero!!! :bow:

hepcat
02-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Look for a copy of "Conditioning for Figure Skating."
http://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-Skating-Techniques-Ice-Performance/dp/157028220X

It helps you design an off-ice routine. What I like about it is that it has pictures of all the exercises, outlines several routines, and includes logs/charts you can photocopy and use in the gym. It covers strength training, flexibility, and endurance.