View Full Version : What was I thinking?!!!!

herniated
02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
What was I thinking?!!! I've been off the ice for a week, in Florida for 4 days splashing in a pool - woke up this morning feeling like I was dragged behind a truck. I have an ankle injury since before I went away (some kind of impingement thing) seems to have gotten worse while away.:twisted: . But...do I stay home? Nooooooo, of course not. I put my kid on the bus and head off to the rink! By the way, it is about 15 degrees here too. The rink I skate at is about the same temp. Nice. 8O

Anyway, normally after being away from the ice ,after my off ice warm up I do a lot of stroking exercises on ice and maybe program run throughs with out jumps. Then I'll start to warm up the jumps and maybe do a run through with the jumps. Do I do that today? Noooooo! I decide to do a warm up like a competition.!8O ( since I'm going to Easterns in - what is it 4 weeks?) BTW I don't even warm up the jumps on ice. I didn't even warm them up off the ice because I was too busy gabbing to someone.! So, being the overachiever(or shall I say Unrealistic one) that I am I decide to do my free program...:frus: and see what happens! I don't know what I expected, but it was the worst run through I ever did. I was actually really bummed out that it wasn't good! What was I thinking. Now that I'm at home and venting to all of you I feel better!:lol: And, another BTW... my ankle was killing me soooo bad I had to get off early. Perfect.

I'm sure some of you have done the same nonsense that I did today. Please share.

deannathegeek
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Don't feel too bad-we all do stupid stuff when it comes to skating. When I take my daughter to the rink with me, I'm so busy helping her with her skates & stuff I forget to warm up before I get on the ice. This results in my being extra-sore when I'm done.

herniated
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Don't feel too bad-we all do stupid stuff when it comes to skating. When I take my daughter to the rink with me, I'm so busy helping her with her skates & stuff I forget to warm up before I get on the ice. This results in my being extra-sore when I'm done.

I can see that happening. I totally forget myself when I'm with my kid.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2008, 09:00 AM
It's not kids so much, it's husbands! I am totally sore after my lesson today. We were working on rockers, and at the end I had to say "Please no more, my back is killing me!" Whereupon Husband, who wasn't listening, goes, "Shall we do that again?" Er - what part of "no more!" didn't he understand?

And then later we were working on a new lift, and I'm now black and blue from being grabbed in awkward places..... and still really stiff! I still had my solo lesson to go after all that, and did the coach go easy on me? You guess!

herniated
02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Ahhh, Mrs. R you know how men are. (no offense to all the men) Most have selective hearing!! Mine included.:roll:

deannathegeek
02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
It's not kids so much, it's husbands! I am totally sore after my lesson today. We were working on rockers, and at the end I had to say "Please no more, my back is killing me!" Whereupon Husband, who wasn't listening, goes, "Shall we do that again?" Er - what part of "no more!" didn't he understand?

And then later we were working on a new lift, and I'm now black and blue from being grabbed in awkward places..... and still really stiff! I still had my solo lesson to go after all that, and did the coach go easy on me? You guess!

Does your husband skate with you?!? If so, you are SOOOOO lucky! My husband went on the ice once for 10 minutes and refuses to go back-he says it's too dangerous. (This coming from a guy who does medeival battle reenactments and gets beaten with a stick several times a week!)

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Does your husband skate with you?!? If so, you are SOOOOO lucky! My husband went on the ice once for 10 minutes and refuses to go back-he says it's too dangerous. (This coming from a guy who does medeival battle reenactments and gets beaten with a stick several times a week!)
Yes, we are dance partners; I think possibly a majority of adult dance couples (although not by any means all) are married - I can think of four or five just off the top of my head.....

Sessy
02-14-2008, 07:47 AM

ROTFLMAO! I have the same thing with my mom. I spend so much time making sure she does her crossovers in the uncomfortable for her direction, I forget to warm up, LOL!

Bunny Hop
02-14-2008, 09:04 AM
My husband also skates with me. We have dance lessons together. I actually skated first, but he has overtaken me by a very long way now (different work schedules, so he can skate more often). It's good, because it's something we can do together.

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
My husband also skates with me. We have dance lessons together. I actually skated first, but he has overtaken me by a very long way now (different work schedules, so he can skate more often). It's good, because it's something we can do together.
It certainly was, is, and will be for us - and got us over the awful "empty nest" thing when our daughter left home. We still needed to give ourselves permission to have fun without her, though....