View Full Version : What burns more calories?

kander
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I have a heart rate monitor I usually wear while I skate and it keeps track of the calories I burn. Which one of the following do you think burns the most calories?

waltz/axel jump
salchow
toeloop
loop
flip
lutz
basic spin

phoenix
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I'd guess the spin.

tidesong
02-11-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd guess the spin too. But if you include moves in the field (done with enough speed) I'd pick that instead lol

vesperholly
02-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Spin for sure. Spinning always tires me out much faster than jumping.

Sessy
02-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Well it ain't the spin, at least, isolated it might burn the most simply due to a longer duration but if you take the muscle-building into the equation and the calories burnt by muscle mass in rest, it's not the spin. I broke my ankle and I've not been allowed to jump since late spring and I've been gaining weight and loosing muscle, even though I practice looooots of spins.
So if you take into account the calories burnt for building and maintaining muscle, I'd say whatever jump is your highest burns most.

hepcat
02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Whichever jump you feel engages your quads more is probably the most calorie-burning. They're the biggest muscle in your body and take more energy & oxygen to use.

I'm curious - what does your heart rate monitor say? What about compared to simple stroking around fast enough (and long enough) to break a sweat?

kander
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
And the answer is..... waltz jump. I didn't expect that. I would have guessed spins too, but the waltz jump definetly is the winner.

Typical beats per minute (after a good warm up) for me on the walz jump is around 155-160. The loop is at the other end and goes at about 135-140. If I'm in shape (ie have been excersizing regularly for a couple weeks), then the BPM is about 10-15 percent lower.

My rate is not typical. I run about 20 or so percent higher than most people doing the same thing. I've never been able to figure out why that is.

FYI, skating burns more calories than cardio at the gym (and it's a lot more fun!).

kander
02-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm curious - what does your heart rate monitor say? What about compared to simple stroking around fast enough (and long enough) to break a sweat?

If I work hard, it will be somewhere between 140-150 after 4 or 5 laps

ibreakhearts66
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
i would guess that the highest calorie-burner would actually be complex combo spins. it takes sooo much strength and energy to go from position to position and foot to foot while maintaining or gaining speed. although, a bunch of axels in a row can also be very tiring.

mikawendy
02-11-2008, 11:33 PM
i would guess that the highest calorie-burner would actually be complex combo spins. it takes sooo much strength and energy to go from position to position and foot to foot while maintaining or gaining speed. although, a bunch of axels in a row can also be very tiring.

I have to agree on the combo spins. I'm always breathing hard by the end (and I usually pause to catch my breath). Though maybe it's because I'm concentrating so hard on spinning properly that I'm not breathing like usual?