View Full Version : paying for ice? Anyone exhibitors at shows? Other businesses related to skating?

Maggi315
02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
My second oldest daughter has taken a great interest in skating and is doing remarkably well. She has anxiety disorder and this has done more than anything else we have tried. She is homeschooled and has lots of time to practice.

I also have 2 other children who are starting to skate, one is 5 and the other 9. All of this is getting to be very expensive. Both my husband and I work, both of us work partially from home and have flexible schedules.

Right now, we are doing mostly smaller competitions, and have seen exhibitors set up at the competitions. We have also bought things from people on ebay who have online stores. My oldest daughter, 18, and my husband have been talking about doing something like this to help pay for all this skating.

Anyone know about this? How much it even costs to be an exhibitor at the little shows? Or how successful other people are at making money doing this? Since we drag our family of 7 around to these shows, it would be a nice thing to put some of them to work while we are there!!!:lol:

I grew up doing antique shows with my parents all over the east coast, so the concept isn't new, but wondering if it's worth the time and money.

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2008, 06:05 AM
I think it varies from competition to competition - you would have to enquire of the individual clubs. Why not telephone the competition secretary at the club where your daughter will next be competing, and enquire?

You will probably find that skating trivia is what's wanted; something that always goes quickly is little gifts for people to throw on the ice for their skaters - small, cheap things that don't cost more than a couple of pounds.

Maggi315
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi,
i sent in over 20 inquiries about different shows, trying to find out more details and prices with no responses! I realize it's all volunteers, but none? If anyone knows the prices from last year, that would be great. we are thinking of mainly doing the smaller shows, the basic skills and such right now. But it's frustrating to not be able to find out any information while trying to have enough time to get everything together!

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Again, it totally depends on where you want to have your stall - in this country, you would ring the competition secretary or show organiser and enquire, and I can't see it being any different in any other country. If what you need is a list of upcoming shows and competitions, so that you know who to ring up, then your best place to look is on your national federation's website.

deannathegeek
02-15-2008, 09:13 AM
The manager at my local rink lets me get some free ice time if I do rink guard duties during busy public sessions. Friday nights are usually really hectic, so having an extra guard on the ice without having to pay for it helps her out AND I get to be on the ice with all the little kids working on our moves :D

Summerkid710
02-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I work at a pro shop that frequently goes to shows. To be an exhibitor at a competition, the fees range from $100 to $500 depending on the event. You also usually have to give a cut to the organization, from 10% to 20% of your take.

Maggi315
03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
just thought i'd update...
Someone mentioned rink guard, I don't think that would work for my daughter since she's only 12, but for whatever reason our rink doesn't even have guards!

I called several shows and emailed and received mostly very negative responses. Only 2-3 of the big ones were interested and very expensive. Most of the others, it seems that there is an "in group" because they told me that they only have space for so many and don't allow new businesses in, sad, but that's what they said.

So we are looking for other ideas, I am going to talk to the owners of the rink and see what I can do.

AshBugg44
03-21-2008, 11:28 PM
At our competition, I'm pretty sure we charged vendors like 10 or 20% of their total profits...something like that...

Mrs Redboots
03-22-2008, 08:39 AM
I called several shows and emailed and received mostly very negative responses. Only 2-3 of the big ones were interested and very expensive. Most of the others, it seems that there is an "in group" because they told me that they only have space for so many and don't allow new businesses in, sad, but that's what they said.

So we are looking for other ideas, I am going to talk to the owners of the rink and see what I can do.

Try the very small, local competitions first of all - does your local club hold its own closed competition, for instance? Perhaps you would be allowed to set up shop there. As you say, the big shows and competitions are the preserve of the established vendors, but they may not want to go to the little ones!