View Full Version : Competing at Pre-Bronze

Lisa M.
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I will be competing at the pre-bronze level for the first time this July, and I was wondering if anyone has any advise. I know the competition level is not the same as the test level, and I can't seem to find much information (aside from youtube) as to what people put into their programs at this level. I don't have the loop or the flip yet, but I am working on them. Are these neccessary? What else do I need to have aquired?

jskater49
02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Many places, people do pretty much a bronze level program at pre-bronze, except you are allowed to do a lutz. I don't know what you consider "necesary" Necesary to win? Unless you come to my club and compete against me, probably. Necesary to skate? THis is what I do...a waltz, half-lutz-mazurka-half-flip, waltz-toe-waltz. One foot spin and a two foot spin. Forward spiral and backward spiral and some pretty stuff in-between. Well yah, sure I come in last, but I have good time and the judges always say something nice about my smile. But competitively speaking, pre-bronze programs are pretty much bronze programs without a lutz.

j

Lisa M.
02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks. I guess I meant neccessary to be competitive. I don't want to be way behind the other competitors. I guess I don't want to feel like I should still be skating at beginner levels. I will be testing pre-bronze in a few weeks, and I don't want to end up not being able to compete at any level.

Debbie S
02-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Remember, jumps aren't everything. Sure, a loop with good height and flow in and out of the jump can make a difference in placements, but judges are looking for good quality skating. This is true at every level. The skaters placing high will have good speed and flow, and attack/confidence in their elements. It's much more important to do the elements you can do, well, than do harder elements poorly. If your hardest jump is a salchow, then just focus on doing the best salchow (or toe loop, or waltz jump) that you can do. And don't forget about spins - they're tech elements, too. ;) And presentation...

I am Bronze level, but really a test-level skater. But there have been judges who have placed me ahead of skaters who had a flip and/or lutz, b/c I was faster and/or presented my program better than they did. The times I placed lower than I thought I should, I watched the tape afterward (and in one case, talked to a judge) and realized how awkward I looked compared to the other skaters. Judges like to see smooth, flow-y skating - that's probably more important than any 1 jump or spin.

Good luck at your comp!

Many places, people do pretty much a bronze level program at pre-bronze, except you are allowed to do a lutz.Um, I think you mean that you are not allowed to do a lutz in Pre-Bronze. ;)

jazzpants
02-11-2008, 12:34 AM
I think I will speak up as a former Pre-Bronze competitor (okay, I'm tooting my horn now!!!) that has won one local comp as a Pre-Bronze FS skater. I can tell 'ya that I definitely think that the overall great program usually gets the nod in the end over a "more technical but that's it" program. A lot of coaches focuses on technical b/c it's the easiest way to rack up the technical points... but when you're playing on an even field jumps wise, the presentation is what determines the better score. I think what got me ahead at that one comp was that I had a lot more attack, speed and flow! That part of it so far as worked well for me going in as a newbie Bronze FS skater too.

Personally, since as a person who is WAAAY behind on jumps and spins. (I'm a Bronze level skater now and JUST started landing lutzes a month back and do NOT have a lutz planned in my program (doesn't mean my coaches won't sneak it in LAST MINUTE...but currently I don't have one.) Since this is your first competition as a Pre-Bronze skater, I would concentrate on getting the experience as a Pre-Bronze skater and just learn from the field of people that you are going to skate against.

And oh, since you are competing Pre-Bronze, you do NOT have to worry about a lutz... it's not allowed! BUT I would take the time to start getting your jumps and spins up to snuff now. (I spent (so far) a year and four months after I passed my Bronze FS test on catching up on my jumps so I can "catch up" to the Bronze ladies. I'm STILL working on it, but I'm getting there...) Work on also your presentation -- i.e. how you come out of a jump or a spin. Do you just klunk your way out of a jump or a spin, or do you glide out and "present" yourself with confidence?

jskater49
02-11-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm STILL working on it, but I'm getting there...) Work on also your presentation -- i.e. how you come out of a jump or a spin. Do you just klunk your way out of a jump or a spin, or do you glide out and "present" yourself with confidence?

Yes, I got a first place against the book at a competition (from judges who are not afraid to give you third against the book) and I think it was because I had my head up, my basic skating is pretty decent, I held the landing of my baby jumps and of course I smiled.

And at Adult Midwesterns last year one judge actually put me ahead of someone who had a loop and a sit spin and I think I have to chalk it up to I looked more confident doing what little I could do compared to what she was attempting to do.

And yea I did mean you CANNOT do a lutz at pre-bronze

j

Ellyn
02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Remember, jumps aren't everything. Sure, a loop with good height and flow in and out of the jump can make a difference in placements, but judges are looking for good quality skating.

I will second this.

If you have more difficult jumps (loop and flip at pre-bronze level) that you can land fairly consistently but without speed and flow, you could include one or two to show that you have that skill. Or not, if you're not comfortable with them.

Same goes for more difficult steps or spins that may slow you down. Use sparingly if you really do have a difficult skill for your level that you want to show off, or don't do your hardest moves at all if they're not comfortable.

But definitely plan your program so that you have plenty of opportunity to show off moves that you do well. Make sure that most of your jumps are ones that you can land with some flow on the landings. Make sure to choose spins that you can consistently get at least 3 revolutions. If you have a nice spiral or spread eagle, include those (some prebronze skaters have nice spread eagles, some elite skaters can't do them at all -- it often has more to do with how your hips are built than with skating skill).

Include whichever crossovers, three turns, or mohawks you can do at your top speed. If you can, also include a few in the opposite direction.

looplover
02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I'll third it!

I recently judged a basic skills competition. (I highly recommend this, it's a great learning experience for one's own skating) The speed and flow made all the difference (and I was told to heavily look at that). Much better to compete strongly with what you do than worry about getting certain jumps prematurely.

(I'm so glad to read that you can't do a lutz in prebronze...I'm just learning it and I'm in bronze! I was wondering what I was going to have to come up with...)

doubletoe
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
To illustrate just how unimportant jumps can be, Daisies medaled (silver medal, IIRC) at AN2007 in Masters Interpretive with nothing but single salchows, toeloops and maybe a waltz jump! (no right foot takeoffs due to injury). It's all about the "skating." :)

techskater
02-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Prebronze will run the gammut from almost beginner to almost Bronze (ready to test). Just do what you can do well and the rest will take care of itself.

deannathegeek
02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
You know, I was thinking about taking my Pre-Bronze MIF test, but now I'm skared after reading what y'all think are necessary to be competitive. I can't get myself high enough in the air for a full-rotation jump of any kind, and am scared to even try now :cry:

Ellyn
02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
You know, I was thinking about taking my Pre-Bronze MIF test, but now I'm skared after reading what y'all think are necessary to be competitive. I can't get myself high enough in the air for a full-rotation jump of any kind, and am scared to even try now :cry:

Go ahead and take the MIF test -- that won't affect what freestyle level you would compete at. You can test as far as you want in MIF and it won't affect your freestyle level.

Skittl1321
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Test your moves in the field! It's a totally seperate track from freestyle- you don't have to compete as a PreBronze skater (though most competitions I've seen lump no test with PB and sometimes bronze too) until you've passed your PB freestyle test- passing the MITF just makes you eligible to take that test.

Kim to the Max
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Deanna,

It's not really about being "competitive" it's about skating the best you can skate and showing your skills to others...one of the reasons I stopped competing when I was younger was because I put too much emphasis on being "good" in the eyes of others rather than just skating the best I could....even when I tested a few weeks ago, while I was nervous, I went into the test determined to just skate my best, no matter what the judges thought...

I say, give it a shot!! If you want to take the PB test and compete, go for it!! Just have fun with what you are doing...if it's not fun, it's not worth it...

--Kim

Lisa M.
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I feel better about it. I have a pretty good Salchow, scratch spin and my waltz and toe-loop are almost competition ready. I have some good mohawks and chochtaws and my right spirals are also pretty good. I will start with that and maybe when I do CSI in september I can put a loop and sitspin in.

stacyf419
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I am going to my first comp in March (eastern adult championship/non-qual sectionals) and competing in pre-bronze. I know it sounds corny, but my goal is to skate my best and hopefully convey how much I love to skate. I only have a very small salchow and toe-loop, but my edges are smooth, fast and solid and I love it so much that I have this huge smile on my face the minute I start skating. If the audience and the judges feel that and respond, I'll feel good about the whole thing, no matter where I place.
Wheee - I just got myself so excited about going!!!

jskater49
02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I am going to my first comp in March (eastern adult championship/non-qual sectionals) and competing in pre-bronze. I know it sounds corny, but my goal is to skate my best and hopefully convey how much I love to skate. I only have a very small salchow and toe-loop, but my edges are smooth, fast and solid and I love it so much that I have this huge smile on my face the minute I start skating. If the audience and the judges feel that and respond, I'll feel good about the whole thing, no matter where I place.

That's how I feel. I love my music, I love my program...I just go out there and do my thing. I cannot do a full revolution jump and a few weeks ago was the first time I even did a one foot spin with a one foot edge entry instead of the pivot entry. But there's a spot where I skate right by the judges and I smile right at them and they all smile back. And people tell me I'm graceful and that's good enough for me.

J

mikawendy
02-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Have a great time at your first competition! (I know you will--you have a great attitude.) Judges love solid edges, and judges and spectators both love to see a skater who is enjoying themselves. You will also make all kinds of new skating friends.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Remember, those of you who are new to competition, that you can't control what the other skaters do, and you can't control what the judges think. All you can do is go out there, have fun, and, hopefully, skate your very best.

It's disheartening, I know, when you've gone out there and skated totally as well as you are able and the judges have given you 0.8 (been there, done that!), but it's even worse when you know you deserved it!!!!

singerskates
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
The most important thing before speed, edges, presentation, spins, footwork, jumps or moves is to "Just Have Fun!"

When I say "Just Have Fun!", it means to skate for yourself with your heart playing with your music enjoying each note as if it was just you, the music and the ice not worrying about what judges think or the audience thinks. Anything more is a bonus.