View Full Version : Do Synchronized Skaters get paid for performances?

FSWer
02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Say,I've been wondering this. We all know that tour skaters and competitive skaters get paid for their performances. But does anyone know if our Synchronized Skaters do? Is there a Synchro. here who can confurm this? Thanks.

Skittl1321
02-10-2008, 06:54 PM
USFSA synchro teams have the same eligibility requirements as singles and pairs skaters- meaning they can only accept pay for certain types of performances, and only if they have a waiver. So they don't get paid for competitions, and they may or may not get paid for shows, depending on the circumstances.

If they are a non-competitive synchro team who skates with a show (like the ice capades used to have a "synchro" team- they just didn't use that name- it was like a chorus line) then off course they would be paid like any other show skater.

FSWer
02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
USFSA synchro teams have the same eligibility requirements as singles and pairs skaters- meaning they can only accept pay for certain types of performances, and only if they have a waiver. So they don't get paid for competitions, and they may or may not get paid for shows, depending on the circumstances.

If they are a non-competitive synchro team who skates with a show (like the ice capades used to have a "synchro" team- they just didn't use that name- it was like a chorus line) then off course they would be paid like any other show skater.

Ok,someone please help me understand something? Why would a Synchronized Skating Team or Skater (depending on if they pay each skater or each Team) only get paid for curtain performances. Also,why would skaters in genual only be paid for curtain ones? I mean....there working regardless. In a way there getting ripped off,and working for nothing sometimes. That's like saying your going into work and only getting paid for curtain days. Which is wrong it'self. Can someone please help me understand this? BTW. if they are paid by Team,is it slip evenly among skaters? Also do they get paid no matter what level? BTW. anyone know the name of the Team that used to be with Ice Capaides? Thanks.

Skittl1321
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Amateur skaters do not get paid for many of their performances or they would lose their amateur status (the ability to compete at Nationals and in the olympics- for those that are olympic sports) skaters who get paid are called professionals. Most of the teams who you know- the ones who compete with USFSA are amateur teams. These ladies are not paid, and are usually paying quite a bit of money for their training and expenses of competition.

Now- the rules are slightly different than they used to be (a long time ago they could not be paid for anything at all), and amateurs CAN get paid but under very specific circumstanceswhich I don't know so they don't apply to me. For example, I believe there is a cash price for the Grand Prix series- because otherwise, there were no amateur skaters because they all became professionals.

I mispoke about the Ice Capades team- I don't know for sure if they had one or not, but the Ice Follies did- called The Ice Folliettes. It was very different from synchro skating- but a precursor to it.

(I don't know if skaters have rules about endoresments they can accept. I do know that if a amateur gymnast accepts an endorsment (payment for advertising a product) they can no longer compete in COLLEGE gymnastics, but can still compete in eligible amateur gymnastics)

FSWer
02-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Amateur skaters do not get paid for many of their performances or they would lose their amateur status (the ability to compete at Nationals and in the olympics- for those that are olympic sports) skaters who get paid are called professionals. Most of the teams who you know- the ones who compete with USFSA are amateur teams. These ladies are not paid, and are usually paying quite a bit of money for their training and expenses of competition.

Now- the rules are slightly different than they used to be (a long time ago they could not be paid for anything at all), and amateurs CAN get paid but under very specific circumstanceswhich I don't know so they don't apply to me. For example, I believe there is a cash price for the Grand Prix series- because otherwise, there were no amateur skaters because they all became professionals.

I mispoke about the Ice Capades team- I don't know for sure if they had one or not, but the Ice Follies did- called The Ice Folliettes. It was very different from synchro skating- but a precursor to it.

(I don't know if skaters have rules about endoresments they can accept. I do know that if a amateur gymnast accepts an endorsment (payment for advertising a product) they can no longer compete in COLLEGE gymnastics, but can still compete in eligible amateur gymnastics)

Ok.....why would they HAVE to loose it if they got paid? It could be changed right? BTW. anyone have a link to a pic. of Synchros predisesor?

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Ok.....why would they HAVE to loose it if they got paid? It could be changed right? BTW. anyone have a link to a pic. of Synchros predisesor?Back in the days when amateur meant amateur, it was considered somehow inferior to be paid for participating in a sport, whether this was cricket or ice-skating. Indeed, Rugby Union was amateur within the last ten or fifteen years; it only went pro relatively recently.

Many, if not most sports have gone "open" during my lifetime - this means that professionals can compete against (or with, in the case of team sports) amateurs - largely, I think, because the amount of training required these days is incompatible with earning one's living. Skating is still an exception to this, although a few of the very top elite skaters receive sufficient sponsorship to enable to train full-time. Most, however, have to earn their living some other way - and it is only within the last ten years or so that they've even been able to be coaches (who count as professional skaters).

jskater49
02-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Actually, FSW, the USFS does look out after their skaters to make sure they don't get ripped off--which is why you need a sanction to have a USFS skater -in any discipline perform in your exhibition. In some cases there is a minimum the show is REQUIRED to pay the skaters. It's really not about being an amatuer anymore--it's more about the governing skating bodies having control over their skaters.

j

Skittl1321
02-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Actually, FSW, the USFS does look out after their skaters to make sure they don't get ripped off--which is why you need a sanction to have a USFS skater -in any discipline perform in your exhibition. In some cases there is a minimum the show is REQUIRED to pay the skaters. It's really not about being an amatuer anymore--it's more about the governing skating bodies having control over their skaters.

j

But the skater cannot accept the payment without the sanction. I believe doing that does lose their eligible status.

jskater49
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
But the skater cannot accept the payment without the sanction. I believe doing that does lose their eligible status.

Actually you can't even skate in the exhibition without a sanction or special permission from USFS whether you are paid or not.

j

rlichtefeld
02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
In skating, as well as most Olympic sports, the term "amateur" is no longer used. The term now used is "eligible". That is if you are eligible to compete in the Olympics. For skating, the ISU determines what the requirements are to be eligible for the Olympics, Worlds, Europeans, and Grand Prix events.

Part of the eligibility is that the skater has not participated in a non-sanctioned event. Each NGB (National Governing Body) sanctions events for it's skaters, but the rules are governed by the ISU. So, for competition, exhibitions, shows, etc. that a US skater skates in, someone has to submit a sanction request to US Figure Skating. If all the requirements are met, then USFS issues a sanction, and then the skaters in that event are "covered".

A lot of what is sanctioned vs. non-sanctioned is money and intent. If money goes back to a local club, or the USFS, and the intent of the event is to "further figure skating", then the event is sanctioned. If not, then it isn't and any skater skating in that event is no longer eligible under ISU rules. They, can after a time request re-instatement. For example, (before it's demise) Champions on Ice was sanctioned and Stars on Ice was not.

Rob

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2008, 08:56 AM
It's not just the local governing body who determines what is sanctioned and what isn't - it's also the ISU. For example, NISA is unable to issue a sanction for Dancing on Ice because the ISU doesn't sanction it in any country, not just the UK. It has, however, been able to sanction the spin-off Make me a Star, although any skater wishing to enter must fill in an eligibility form first. NISA thought that at first it mightn't be able to sanction it, but was able to have discussions with the television company making the programme....