View Full Version : Dizziness

sk8rxforxlife
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey!!! I have a problem I get really dizzy when I spin. How do you guys not get so dizzy when you spin???

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
First- try spinning the other way. It might be that you are spinning against your natural direction. That was a HUGE help to me, and I became a clockwise skater.

Second- just keep practicing, it goes away eventually, though possibly never completely. Just practice your spins throughout your practice session, rather than 10-20 in a row.

Isk8NYC
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
You can also practice off-ice, wearing sneakers. Just keep turning and turning - make sure there isn't anything you could crash into if you get dizzy.

Hang in there - t he dizziness does wear off after a while.

dbny
02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I spin until I feel dizzy (one or two spins), then I skate around until I'm not dizzy anymore. Then I go back to spinning, whereupon I can usually do one or two more spins than the first time. I can often build up to five or six spins in a row by the end of an hour's practice in this manner. If I could just practice spinning more than once a week, I might not have to build up every time.

ibreakhearts66
02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
you will probably find that your body just about gets used to it. however, if you do find yourself particularly dizzy after a spin, it generally helps to turn once or twice in the direction opposite you normally spin. i don't know exactly why this works, but a friend once told me that in dance class, and it really does help. also, you will get dizziest from uncentered spins. a nice, fast, centered scratch spin barely fazes me, but man, if i get off my hip on even a slow spin, down i go!

Sessy
02-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Don't look down on the ice but rather focus at the boardings (bonus: if the line of the boardings is wobbling, you know you're not centered plus, it looks much nicer when you're looking up than when you're looking down), don't look behind your rotation (for counterclockwise spinners - to the right, for clockwise - to the left) and practice lots and lots... It passes, in time. I thought I'd gotten the spin dizzyness out of the way until my scratch spins started to pick up speed. Now I get a little woozy if I do a particularly tight one.
Also, around this time of year part of your dizzyness could have to do with all the flu and sinus infections and the like, you could have a bit of an infection. As soon as my ears start to ache, I always get so dizzy in spin practice that I have to drink something in order not to puke. When my ears stop to ache, I'm significantly less dizzy.

techskater
02-09-2008, 12:33 PM
When you are done spinning, look at three separate points on the rink, 2 at your normal eye level and one a little lower. This will help your inner ear re-triangulate where you are.

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
What helped me...spinning in my office chair! Of course, you have to make sure there is nothing in your way for knees/elbows to hit...but it helps build up your resistance!!!

coskater64
02-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I found practice eventually cured getting dizzy, after spinning for about 6 months I was fine.:twisted:

deannathegeek
02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I've been figure skating for almost 2 years now, and I still get dizzy doing spins. I think it's because I had a ruptured eardrum about 15 months ago, and I still have balance problems and it hurts like heck when I have to fly. If you can't get over the dizziness, like me, when you do a routine and you come out of a spin don't try anything fancy that'll throw you off. When I come out of spin, I do several crossovers while my head spots spinning. Just keep smiling and don't throw up on the ice 8-)

TreSk8sAZ
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
While you're still getting dizzy, the quickest way to get rid of it is to stare at your fingers. It's a dance trick that I learned. When you come out and you are dizzy, literally bring your hand around eye level, and look at your fingers. Having something close that's not moving helps the dizziness. If you're in program, do some small arm movement with your next steps that brings your hand eye level.

Morgail
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I still get dizzy. Even when I was a teenager, after skating for 10+ years, I got dizzy.
A quick turn in the other direction usually gets rid of it for me. My coach added that into my program last year after my sit spin because I'd come out of the spin and start skating in the wrong direction:lol:

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2008, 08:12 AM
I don't usually get dizzy on the spins I'm used to - but our coach changed our free leg position on both sections of our change-foot yesterday, and I felt dizzy after that! I'll be used to it again in a day or so (assuming I remember the correction!), but for now, it makes me dizzy!