View Full Version : Pre Bronze = ISI Freestyle 3 ???

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm very sad because our rink is holding an ISI competition, and I was finally going to comete. But now I read the announcement and it says if you've passed the Pre-Bronze test you have to compete ISI Freestyle 3. That's crazy- they don't equate at all! (I've only passed ISI Freestyle 1- in freestyle 2 my half lutz barely gets off the ice, and I don't know what a half toe walley is...)

The PB requirements are
2 foot spin- from ISI 1
1 foot spin- from ISI 2
forward/backward crossovers- not covered in ISI freestyle levels
2 jumps (half or whole)- the jumps from ISI 1 cover this, though I did waltz jump and toe loop which are ISI 1 and ISI 3, but half flip (ISI 1) was my backup jump if I couldn't do toe loops in warmup.
Forward spiral- ISI 1 has forward arabesque

So how does PB equate to ISI 3? it seems closest to ISI 1 with a one foot spin thrown in! There is a change foot spin! I don't know the dance sequence- how does that compare to the footwork you'd be expected to know by PB? Or is it more reflective of the bronze moves?

URGH- I was looking forward to finally competing, but I can't compete ISI 3!

jskater49
02-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Yup, I realized that last year when I considered doing ISI. I've passed pre-bronze but no way in the hot place can I compete at the level ISI wants to stick me in. I don't mind coming in last but I want to look like I at least belong in that class. That's why I get a kick out of people saying ISI is "easier"

j

Isk8NYC
02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Yup, I realized that last year when I considered doing ISI. I've passed pre-bronze but no way in the hot place can I compete at the level ISI wants to stick me in. I don't mind coming in last but I want to look like I at least belong in that class. That's why I get a kick out of people saying ISI is "easier"ITA - the ISI tests aren't any "easier" than the USFSA tests. They're just mixed up differently.

I like that phrase "no way in the hot place" - lol.

I was primarily an ISI skater, competing FS1, then FS2, then FS4 and FS5. I passed the test for FS3, but I really hated the back pivot and a good friend would have been competing against me, so I never competed at that level. I waited a few weeks and tested up to FS4 for the season.

FS3 has:
Back Outside or Inside Pivot,
Salchow,
Change Foot Spin;
Backward Arabesque (Spiral),
Toe Loop or Toe Walley,
Dance Step Sequence (9-step; mohawks and crossovers)

quarkiki2
02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Darling... do interpretive!

Believe it or not, I am considering trying this. At ISI Freestyle 2, I think. Yeah, I don't have the waltz jump, but I don't have to include it in the program. We'll see... I'll talk to Brianna and see if she thinks I'm nuts...

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Darling... do interpretive!

Believe it or not, I am considering trying this. At ISI Freestyle 2, I think. Yeah, I don't have the waltz jump, but I don't have to include it in the program. We'll see... I'll talk to Brianna and see if she thinks I'm nuts...

Yeah- interp would be fun, do you know enough about ISI to know what is allowed and what is not? That would be my worry- I'd do something not allowed. But I like the idea of something I don't have to rehearse ;) And it would be easy to practice for- just choreograph and skate along to everyone else's music at the rink :)

If I'm back on the ice with enough time to prepare one, I might consider spotlight. Then again, if I'm back on the ice in time to prepare I can almost guarantee my coach would want me to be doing a compulsory routine (which i've practiced at ISI 3- but I can't do it!).

Well if I absolutely want to compete I could always do stroking :)

quarkiki2
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Your coach would be thrilled if you did stroking... That's the one category he was trying to convince everyone to do last time we held a competition...

Are you confused with interpretive and improv? Or maybe I am, LOL!

Isk8NYC
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Are you confused with interpretive and improv? Or maybe I am, LOL!ISI's Interpretive is tricky - you hear the music 3x during warmup and you have to make up a routine on the spot. It helps if you have some stock moves prepared in advance, like transitions and interesting spin or jump entries. You also have to remember to end WITH THE MUSIC. That's one of the biggest point-earners.

"Improv" is a USFSA phrase for the same type of event, at least from what I've read on competition entry forms.

What about skating an ISI Artistic program? You choose your own music, costume and there are no technical requirements.

Ellyn
02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
In any case, whether you fail to do required moves or do some illegal (higher level) moves for whatever event you choose, the worst thing that could happen would be you'd come in last place.

Happens to me all the time even when I do what I'm supposed to.

So, would you enjoy preparing and performing a program for competition regardless of placement?

deannathegeek
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know if you HAVE to skate at FS3 if you've passed pre-bronze, or if you can skate at your ISI level? I'll be FS1 in time for adult nationals, but I was planning on taking my pre-bronze MIF since I finally got the hang of the waltz eight. No way I can do a Salchow or a toe loop-anything requiring a full revolution means I'll need to drop some weight to get my butt high enough in the air. Should I put off my pre-bronze tests until after adult nationals if I want to skate at FS1?

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
The competition announcement I have says that if you have passed USFSA PreBronze freeskate you must skate ISI Freestyle 3. I imagine this applies to many competitions.

This is the freestyle test- you could pass through you senior moves and it wouldn't matter if you haven't passed Pre-Bronze freestyle - it's just the freestyle test they look at.

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
So, would you enjoy preparing and performing a program for competition regardless of placement?

Well, I'd like to have at least a shot! I don't really have much interest in competing, because it's too expensive. But this competition is at my rink- so I figured it's as cheap as it's going to get! I enjoy performing, but don't see any sense in paying a lot of money to compete at a level I can't do the required moves of.

LilJen
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
You can pass your pre-bronze MOVES test, no problem; like another poster said, your moves tests have no effect on your FS level. I, too, find it odd that ISI equates USFS pre-bronze FS with FS3. But for the 1-foot spin I'm ready for USFS pre-bronze FS (and they nicely require only 3 revolutions), but no way am I ready for ISI FS3!! ISI also seems to have some very quirky, particular requirements on various FS tests--half loops, toe walleys and such, whereas USFS does at least give you some leeway. The FS3 dance step sequence sounds similar to the USFS bronze 5-step mohawk.

I wonder if ISI knows that so many USFS skaters skate way above their actual tested level and so take that into account in their conversions?? Now I"m scared to take any FS tests!!! Artistic may be the way to go. . . .

FlyAndCrash
02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
The cross-over levels apply more to the standard track I think. Most kids switch over to pre-pre during ISI FS4. Then, they have all the elements neccessary to pass pre-pre through pre-juv moves and free. (The level of execution is a different for the two tracks) And FS5/FS6 (with the axel/ 2sal respectively) is roughly the same as test level juv. Even in the required program to test FS5 is 2.5 minutes long if I'm not mistaken. And to comment on that, I have passed FS5, but there is now way I would be competative in open juv, much less reg. juv.

They probably place pre-bronze at ISI3 so it lines up nicely to the cross-over points for the standard track and ISI.

looplover
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
That's why I get a kick out of people saying ISI is "easier"

j

Absolutely - I had passed ISI 4 before switching to USFSA and it's only because of ISI that I've been able to pass my USFSA tests the first try (as of yet, anyway) - and I've already tested on some of the elements for the Silver FS test (flip, loop) and moves (back 3 turns).

I'm pretty amazed that they're saying pre-bronze equals ISI FS3, because of that dreaded change foot spin! (forward to backward to forward again)

8O

ISI is maybe a little friendlier (is that a controversial statement? I don't mean it to be) and definitely more lax in testing standards (I'm sure that is controversial but it is what it is) but isn't really supposed to be easier.

twokidsskatemom
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know if you HAVE to skate at FS3 if you've passed pre-bronze, or if you can skate at your ISI level? I'll be FS1 in time for adult nationals, but I was planning on taking my pre-bronze MIF since I finally got the hang of the waltz eight. No way I can do a Salchow or a toe loop-anything requiring a full revolution means I'll need to drop some weight to get my butt high enough in the air. Should I put off my pre-bronze tests until after adult nationals if I want to skate at FS1?
I dont think its moves that makes your placement, its your fs tests. Are you doing both or just moves?
edited to add.... i didnt see same answer above:{

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty amazed that they're saying pre-bronze equals ISI FS3, because of that dreaded change foot spin! (forward to backward to forward again)

Do you know if that spin has to be 3-3-3? I can sometimes do 3-2-2, but that backspin is pretty weak!

(Then again, the combo is better than my stand alone backspin.)

I just don't see the correlation between Pre-Bronze and ISI 3 at all. Especially since the "dance sequence" appears to be mohawk based.

And the idea presented of the "crossover" point doesn't make sense to me. If kids are switching over at ISI 4 and are ready to pass pre-pre through pre-juv, it doesn't make sense that ISI 4 equates to pre-pre (which equates to PB). Because that would put pre-juv at about ISI 4, preliminary at ISI 3 and pre-pre at ISI 2, not 3. And the passing standard on the standard track is higher than adult track- which would, in theory, put the adult track skaters even lower down (though I don't think there is much difference between passing pre-pre and passing pre-bronze, since there is no score)

looplover
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Do you know if that spin has to be 3-3-3? I can sometimes do 3-2-2, but that backspin is pretty weak!

(Then again, the combo is better than my stand alone backspin.)

I feel like it might be 3-2-3, but I'm not sure. I tested that one so long ago (over 10 years ago) and was stuck in FS4 forever because I couldn't get the flip. For years.

Clarice
02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm very sad because our rink is holding an ISI competition, and I was finally going to comete. But now I read the announcement and it says if you've passed the Pre-Bronze test you have to compete ISI Freestyle 3.

Jessi, where does it say that? I have the announcement for this competition, and on the crossover chart it indicates that someone at Adult Bronze has to compete at least at Freestyle 3, but I don't see Pre-Bronze even mentioned.

ETA: I don't know how I messed up so that the quote didn't appear in the little box, but I can't figure out how to fix it now... sigh.

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Jessi, where does it say that? I have the announcement for this competition, and on the crossover chart it indicates that someone at Adult Bronze has to compete at least at Freestyle 3, but I don't see Pre-Bronze even mentioned.

ETA: I don't know how I messed up so that the quote didn't appear in the little box, but I can't figure out how to fix it now... sigh.

You know what- I think you're right- I can't read, it does say Bronze! That might make me very happy (if I can compete ISI 1, though I guess I'd have to take my 1 foot spin out of the program) or even worse off (if I have to compete ISI 2 and figure out what a toe walley is).

Pre-Bronze doesn't appear to be mentioned (though Pre-Pre is listed as Freestyle 3...)

Now I feel silly as this whole thread might have been a lot of fuss over nothing!

Isk8NYC
02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
You know what- I think you're right- I can't read, it does say Bronze! That might make me very happy (if I can compete ISI 1, though I guess I'd have to take my 1 foot spin out of the program) or even worse off (if I have to compete ISI 2 and figure out what a toe walley is).

Pre-Bronze doesn't appear to be mentioned (though Pre-Pre is listed as Freestyle 3...)
I was thinking about this at the rink and I wondered if it was a mixup. The ISI Handbook shows that BRONZE = ISI FS3, not pre-bronze. No listing for Pre-Bronze at all. (ISI FS4 is usually a crossover to USFSA Prelim)

Glad that was clarified and you can compete!

A half toe walley is easy - here's the definition from the ISI handbook:

One-Half Toe Walley (CORRECTED)
The takeoff must be on the backward inside edge of one foot and the toe of the other foot. A one-half rotation in the air must be made in the direction of the toe used (i.e., if the left toe is used, the rotation is to the left). The landing must be made on the same toe as that which was used in the takeoff, with an immediate push-off to the forward inside edge of the other foot. The skater's legs should be held straight and together in the air, not split.

Obligatory soapbox message:
Skaters really need to have their own, up-to-date rulebook if they're going to compete.

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Obligatory soapbox message:
Skaters really need to have their own, up-to-date rulebook if they're going to compete.

Well this skater needs to learn to read! (And I didn't ever intend to compete- I have a USFSA rulebook!)

But I think the toe walley sounds like something I can figure out, and then I can compete ISI 2 if I decide too- I think ISI 1 would be "wrong" for me to compete as, because I do think I'm past that level- not to mention it would be weird to not be able to do a 1 foot spin!

Ellyn
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
One-Half Toe Walley - (see correction, above)

That doesn't sound right. If you jump off a (left) back inside edge and the right toe, rotating to the left for half a revolution, you're doing a half-flip, not a half-toe walley.

Half toe walley would be right back inside edge, left toe, rotating to the left.

Or left back inside edge, right toe, rotating to the right.

FlyAndCrash
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
A toe-wally is like a toe-loop, only off an inside edge. A half-toe-wally ccw is RBI left toe 1/2 turn right toe (facing forwards) step to LF(usually outside).

quarkiki2
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Well this skater needs to learn to read! (And I didn't ever intend to compete- I have a USFSA rulebook!)

But I think the toe walley sounds like something I can figure out, and then I can compete ISI 2 if I decide too- I think ISI 1 would be "wrong" for me to compete as, because I do think I'm past that level- not to mention it would be weird to not be able to do a 1 foot spin!

D'oh! If you did that, we'd be competing against each other... I'm gonna take you down, sucka! Just kidding -- I don't waltz jump and don't quite have a scratch spin. I'd still cheer for you!

Skittl1321
02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
D'oh! If you did that, we'd be competing against each other... I'm gonna take you down, sucka! Just kidding -- I don't waltz jump and don't quite have a scratch spin. I'd still cheer for you!

Wait- are you competing ISI 1 or 2? ISI 1 only has a 2 foot spin and that's where the waltz jump is (and half flip- you have that from synchro!). ISI 2 has the one foot spin, but it's jumps are half toe walley and half lutz (weird they are both toe jumps)

Besides, if you do spotlight- I won't be competing against you, I'll probably do interp, compulsory and stroking if I can compete at all. If I can find non-vocal music I might do a freestyle routine instead of interp, but I need a better understanding of ISI rules (what can be done, what gets judged, etc). (For example- my "compulsory" routine has connecting moves, but it seems like the test announcement has you just go and do each move without anything in between them, and I think for an interp I can do pretty much anything I want that I'm capable of, everything blocked is too high level, but I don't really understand if things from LOWER levels count in the freestyle routine -ie. waltz jump- or if you just have to do all the elements of the test. I don't have an ISI rulebook, but I'm sure my coach does- he is all things ISI)

But it kind of seems like if you do one event, you should do a few- because additional events are really cheap- so I'll just do whatever I can without being overwhelmed. This will probably be my only competition.

I got word from the PT that I can start skating again- laps only :( no jumping or sit spins, so I can see if I can get working on that combo spin and I might go ahead and start back synchro.

twokidsskatemom
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Interpretive 1 to 4
Single rotation jumps, any spins ,any uncapured moves

In fs you MUST have elements from level but can have anything from lower. One reason some think ISI is harder. You must have dance steps ect the way its taught. Ie ISI 5 has to have axel, but also can have waltz from ISI 1

Artistic...... No required moves.

Spotlight.. 1 to 4 can have anything in 1 to 4
5 to 10 same...

HTH

Mel On Ice
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm thinking next time I compete ISI, I will be doing everything BUT freestyle. I have done the dance step correctly maybe 3 times in my life, twice in competition, once for the test. I hate it, I end up doing some sort of Irish jig during the transition from outside 3s to the inside 3s. It's all that step in front, step back.

I did synchro for years, have competed dance and am working on silver MIF, and still can't get the hang of the darn step...

Scarlett
02-08-2008, 06:38 AM
From someone who can't pass ISI 3 because of that stupid change foot spin it is 3-3-3. I realize it is now a moot point but just thought I'd add that in there.

looplover
02-08-2008, 06:52 AM
ISI interpretive...oh my...I did that once and only once. I figured it would be my best event because how can you be nervous about something you have to improv? I heard the music and in my head I knew exactly where I wanted to place everything.

So I go out there and seemed to miss every one of those spots, and I think I basically did a bunch of flailing crossovers and a poor sit spin throughout the entire thing, HAHA.

Oof.

8O

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 07:36 AM
ISI interpretive...oh my...I did that once and only once. I figured it would be my best event because how can you be nervous about something you have to improv? I heard the music and in my head I knew exactly where I wanted to place everything.

So I go out there and seemed to miss every one of those spots, and I think I basically did a bunch of flailing crossovers and a poor sit spin throughout the entire thing, HAHA.

Oof.

8O

Oh no!

But flailing crossovers and a poor scratch spin was my plan anyway :) LOL

quarkiki2
02-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, technically YOUR coach passed me out of ISI 1 without a waltz jump because "you know HOW to do it," LOL! So if I competed freestyle, I would compete Freestyle 2 and just not include a waltz jump... I have the half-walley and am closer to a half-lutz than a waltz jump. We did the dance step as part of an earlier synchro program, so that's no problem.

Who knows... I think the rink wants me to judge for the lower level kids, we'll see. I'll talk to my coach and see if she thinks me entering ANY competition is crazy, LOL! Although, if two of us sign up for interp, then they may make an adult interp and not throw you in with the kids. Last time, they selected fun music for the kids, but it would have been silly for adults to skate to it. If there were more than one adult, they might pick something slower and more dignified. I don't think nerves would play in if it were just you and me doing interp -- I truly couldn't care less if you wipe the ice with me bum ;)

The elements for the cumplusory for Free 2 for this competition are 1/2 lutz, 1 foot spin, and ballet jump. As far as I know, you can create whatever you want to do them in a minute without music.

Last competition, Carolyn was the only adult who actually competed (at Free 2, she'll move up to Free 3), so if they break you out into adult events, you'll likely be competing against the book. Unless we can convince Jskater49 or Clarice to come our way... or if I choose to compete so that you can beat a person instead of the book, hehe...

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 08:41 AM
You know, since I can't practice jumps but I can practice spins I might actually enter ISI 3 rather than 2- I'm more likely to eek out a bad combo spin than learn a half toe walley when I can't practice jumps. Plus I'm more comfortable with my salchow and toe loop than my half flip, and if Caroline is in that event it would be more fun than competiting against a book or a kid who will be a million years better than me- and if they don't seperate adults from kids, at least were in it together! I need to find music though and learn the dance steps (which I will probably completely mess up anyway, but who cares- I know I'm not going to win anything.)

You should totally do interp! That would be way more fun than competiting against the kids- and Burton told me that only the musical interpretation and choreography are scored- not the technical elements, so you'd probably kick my butt!

Is your ISI 1 test registered- or is it "passed" like my USFSA Freestyle 3 is (I passed on a pity backspin that I can't even do anymore)? You know, they just told you you passed it at the end of the session? Because if it's not registered, you could pretend it never happened :)

Clarice
02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Unless we can convince Jskater49 or Clarice to come our way... or if I choose to compete so that you can beat a person instead of the book, hehe...

I wish I could! EVERY competition this year conflicts with my "other life" as a musician. I have a recital and then a concert the Saturday of this one. I'm not an ISI member, either, so that would have to be taken care of. I'm Adult Silver, so I'd have to compete FS4.

I had Brianna send me the announcement because I'd like to do some ISI synchro competitions with our Open Adult team and want to find out what we'd need to do to make that possible. We won't have a program ready in time for this competition, though, even if I didn't have scheduling problems. If the adult synchro is on Sunday, though, I'd try to get some of us to road trip out to watch! You guys should consider coming to our competition in June - we'd love to meet another adult team!

quarkiki2
02-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Clarice -- If we decide to field a team for ISI Worlds in July, we might use your competition in June as a warm-up -- I wonder if Brianna has thought of that... Or you could just come join our team, hehe!

Jessi -- I'd truly RATHER skate 2 than 1 -- I'll avoid that waltz jump at all costs...

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I wish I could! EVERY competition this year conflicts with my "other life" as a musician. I have a recital and then a concert the Saturday of this one. I'm not an ISI member, either, so that would have to be taken care of. I'm Adult Silver, so I'd have to compete FS4.

I had Brianna send me the announcement because I'd like to do some ISI synchro competitions with our Open Adult team and want to find out what we'd need to do to make that possible. We won't have a program ready in time for this competition, though, even if I didn't have scheduling problems. If the adult synchro is on Sunday, though, I'd try to get some of us to road trip out to watch! You guys should consider coming to our competition in June - we'd love to meet another adult team!

You know what's crazy- our team might not even be competing! I don't think it's decided yet, but there were some scheduling conflicts. (And we'll have just gotten back from competition 2 weeks earlier)

It seems like such a shame because it's not expensive and at our rink and it's another chance to try out the program. Most of the team also didn't think there would be another team, but I was thinking yours might be there- if you all don't have a program ready, then it's not as strange for us to not be competiting- I don't think many on the team wanted to compete against the book.

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Clarice -- If we decide to field a team for ISI Worlds in July, we might use your competition in June as a warm-up -- I wonder if Brianna has thought of that... Or you could just come join our team, hehe! [quote]

Even if we don't skate worlds I think we should try to convince Brianna to take us to their competition- it's another excuse to skate the programs we spend so much time working on! (Plus I can't go to World's...)

[quote]Jessi -- I'd truly RATHER skate 2 than 1 -- I'll avoid that waltz jump at all costs...

Good thing you passed then! So have I convinced you to enter interp? It would be more fun with a buddy...

quarkiki2
02-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Oh, lord... I suppose I'll enter interp. Maybe we can give Burton a few ideas for music for an adult interp -- funny fast songs are NOT a good idea...

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Oh, lord... I suppose I'll enter interp. Maybe we can give Burton a few ideas for music for an adult interp -- funny fast songs are NOT a good idea...

You keep your mouth shut! I'd rather skate to a campy (not too) fast song than a "you better skate good because this is slow and graceful" song!

LOL- nah, slow is good- we should put the mind in his head to seperate adults and kids. Maybe we can convince Caroline to enter too!

quarkiki2
02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah -- good luck on that one -- she dislikes the artistic part of skating.

Although, this seems like something Candice might do -- and cream both of us...

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah -- good luck on that one -- she dislikes the artistic part of skating.

Although, this seems like something Candice might do -- and cream both of us...

good point about Candice- we should convince HER to do it- then there is no reason at all that I should have any nerves, because I'll know I've lost! (Although I think there is a "high" interp, so I'm not sure she'd be with us.)

Clarice
02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Okay, competition or not - we need to get these two teams together sometime, just for fun. We should put together some kind of clinic day - we could have on-ice training, and do our programs for each other. (I'm thinking we need to start an Iowa Skaters Chat Thread!)

Isk8NYC
02-08-2008, 09:55 AM
That doesn't sound right. If you jump off a (left) back inside edge and the right toe, rotating to the left for half a revolution, you're doing a half-flip, not a half-toe walley.

Half toe walley would be right back inside edge, left toe, rotating to the left.

Or left back inside edge, right toe, rotating to the right.
Sorry - I typed the paragraph from the manual too quickly and gave Skittl part of the half toe walley and part of the half lutz descriptions, ROFLOL. So sorry - I corrected my post. Thanks for checking it - I had to get to the rink, so I didn't proofread.

That's what happens when you rely on SOMEONE else's information instead of your own rulebook.
(I should have pretended that I MEANT to mislead her, lol. But, no, it was just a rushing-to-help error.)

You can start an Iowa Skaters Chat thread here, but just be discreet so that you don't have any real-life backlash.
Some skating clubs/groups start Yahoo! Groups and require subscriptions for that reason.

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 10:01 AM
That's what happens when you rely on SOMEONE else's information instead of your own rulebook.

I typed the paragraph from the manual too quickly and gave Skittl part of the half toe walley and part of the half lutz descriptions, ROFLOL. So sorry - I corrected my post. Thanks for checking it - I had to get to the rink, so I didn't proofread.

The skating world is full of sabatoge! :lol:

I guess I'm starting to know my jumps better, because I was thinking it kind of sounded a little like a half lutz- which apparently it was a little of!

Thanks for the correction- I still plan on having my coach teach it to me, but it's good to have an idea of what it's supposed to be.

Do you know how long it takes ISI to ship rulebooks? I'm not sure if I'd get it in enough time to bother, or if I should just rely on my coach once I start lessons again.

Isk8NYC
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Do you know how long it takes ISI to ship rulebooks? I'm not sure if I'd get it in enough time to bother, or if I should just rely on my coach once I start lessons again.I won't even go into it, but I buy my manuals from them at district competitions or coaches' seminars. Last time I ordered a publication by mail, it took about a week to reach me - probably be faster if you called them directly to order.

Skittl1321
02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I won't even go into it, but I buy my manuals from them at district competitions or coaches' seminars. Last time I ordered a publication by mail, it took about a week to reach me - probably be faster if you called them directly to order.

A week sounds good- I'll call today, because all of the different events are really confusing me!

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I won't even go into it, but I buy my manuals from them at district competitions or coaches' seminars. Last time I ordered a publication by mail, it took about a week to reach me - probably be faster if you called them directly to order.
The manual reached me faster than my new card! less than a week, which was really surprising!

One thing I will say about ISI competitions-it seems to me, the higher the level, the more the judges pay attention to the dance steps and expect more out of them. That doesn't mean they ignore everything else, but from ISI3 and up, the ones that place 3rd-1st seem to have polish and flow to theirs. Just an observation.

If i could have gotten my change-foot I'd be at ISI3.......oh well! at least I have more time to work on those back 3's!

Isk8NYC
02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
You're correct, S@D - the strength and power of sequences was emphasized a great deal at the instructor seminars - the judges are looking for the edge rips and clean turns. When you compare it to the USFSA crossovers*, that makes sense.

The ISI moved some of the step sequences around within FS6 - 8, so if anyone has an old rulebook, they will need update or replace it to get the current rules. (Updates are on their site, but I'm not sure where anymore. Check the Reference Links thread - I might have saved the links there.)

* ETA: I meant "crossovers" as in changing from one level in ISI to another level in USFSA, not the skating crossovers.

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2008, 08:26 AM
You're correct, S@D - the strength and power of sequences was emphasized a great deal at the instructor seminars - the judges are looking for the edge rips and clean turns. When you compare it to the USFSA crossovers, that makes sense.
Yes, this REALLY upset my daughter when she competed last year...at ISI3, because her jumps and connecting moves were great, HOWEVER her dance steps were not because she didn't practice them enough, because she believed her jumps would score her higher.