View Full Version : Sliding Sleeve Skate Spinner!

Query
02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Here’s a free marketing idea for enterprising folk.

Sell a “Sliding Sleeve Skate Spinner” ($59.99, since the high end Gold Medal Spinner Pro is $49.99, and this works better). Sell a 1 m square of linoleum as a “Sliding Sleeve Skate Spinning Surface” for another $39.99, or better still, a square of hardwood for $39.99, and floor wax as a “Sliding Sleeve Skate Spinner Lubricant”, for $29.99 (1 month supply, of course).

Background

Some time back I bought a skate spinner (also called a spin trainer - two plates with a bearing between them; you stand on it and practice spins) which didn’t work cause the bearing was bad. Needed all my weight to spin, and it kept stopping at one point in the rotation.

Tried cleaning it out, and re-lubing it, and now it spins easily – except at that one point.

I recently saw one of the same brand and model (very common, but I don't want a libel suit) in a store that spun perfectly, with or without full weight. Came back the next week to buy it. Was sold, but they had another. It also had a bad bearing, spun with friction. Obviously the manufacturing quality varies.

Besides, they get dirty, and stop working. They were too cheap to use a sealed bearing. These things are nothing but a turntable bearing (also called a spinner or swivel), with added mounting plates. Bill Scheider, who sometimes posts here, has a home-made device here:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/homemade_spinner.html

I started thinking about ways of improving the device.

Sealed turntable bearings can be bought that WON’T get dirty, for about $3-5.

With a floor standing spinner your foot has to be in exactly the right place, and you can’t easily step into a spin or jump. A little off, and you fly off to one side.

(I’ve tried the blue plastic one too (no bearings - just a plastic piece you step on that has a shape on the bottom that will rotate against a floor) – again it is hard to place your foot at the right point, and you need a surface to spin on so it doesn’t wreck the floor.)

So find a way to attach it to a shoe. Even better, mount a little swivel along a blade guard, and do it _with_ your skates on. You should be able to slide it into the place you want to spin. That's an idea almost good enough to sell. I probably should have patented it.

Then the obvious idea came to light. Put on a sock. Spin on the linoleum kitchen floor. Oh my god. It feels almost like the ice, with just a little more friction. Step into it. Jump from it. Works. Practice 3 turns. Sort of works.

Switched to a synthetic sock - more slippery than cotton or wool. Still better.

Now that I think of it, I’ve seen people practice routines in socks – not even an original idea.

Oh my G--. Why would anyone waste money on a commercial spinner?

But they do. I did. Twice, if you count the plastic one. With a little hype, and a some confusing gobbledygook, you should have no trouble marketing a sock for an outrageous price.

Should you charge more for a "left" or "right" sliding sleaze (I mean sleeve) skate spinner? Can anyone think of a way to make it more slippery? (A better Sliding Sleeve Skate Spinner Lubricant?)

(Magnetic levitation? Nah, costs too much to make. One sock, manufacturing cost a few pennies, $59.99, just right.)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sessy
02-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Better yet (discovered by accident by me not too long ago)

1. laminate floor, approximately 3x3 feet
2. bottle of silicone-based lubricant from your local drug store
3. pair of synthetic socks

Drip luscious amounts of lubricant upon laminate floor, wipe out over the entire surface and spin. Backspins have never felt closer to being on an outside edge off-ice before!

not sure if it'll work on a linoleum surface, it might.

That being said, I still use my gold medal spinner anyway.

Query
02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
>discovered by accident by me

Oh oh. Now we all have a mental picture. Do tell!

>That being said, I still use my gold medal spinner
>anyway.

You must have found one with good low friction bearings.

Why do you still use it - what is better about it?

I was thinking about finding a teflon spray (both surfaces) or grease, or a teflon sock. Is silicone grease a better lubricant?

peanutskates
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
i did a 2-rev scratch spin on a bowling floor in bowling shoes today. it was practically like ice... :D so if you know how they make that...

Sessy
02-03-2008, 12:20 PM
It's possible mine is from a different factory? I got mine from Austria and I know for example the Graf skates sold here in Europe are not from the same factory as those sold in Canada for example?

>discovered by accident by me

Oh oh. Now we all have a mental picture. Do tell!

My BF had greased my gold medal spinner with it to allow it to spin better, and made a large spill on the floor. He wiped it off, but not really, more like he smeared it around a bit. I didn't notice and almost wiped out when I stepped on it in a hurry, then decided to try spinning on it.

The spinner gives me more stability, though for the life of me I can't spin on it without shoes (better yet, boots) and an ankle brace. That was the case long before I broke my ankle and my naturally "mobile" joints might have something to do with that (uhm, as in, the muscles are what's holding all of my hand- and feet joints together, not the ligaments, which isn't so great because it causes extra wear on the knees).

Also I like the spinner because I can feel my body's axis/gravity centre on it.

skatinfool
03-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I was asking my coach about spinners and showed him my circular gold spinner. He said it doesn't do much for you because it doesn't require you to keep your balance.

He strongly favors the blue "paddle" with the rocker, so that you get the feel of having to find the sweet spot.

For what it's worth.

Skate@Delaware
03-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I was asking my coach about spinners and showed him my circular gold spinner. He said it doesn't do much for you because it doesn't require you to keep your balance.

He strongly favors the blue "paddle" with the rocker, so that you get the feel of having to find the sweet spot.

For what it's worth.
Ha! I use the gold-medal spinner and I do struggle with keeping my balance.....maybe it's just me????? Mine spins like greased lightening too....I have to go easy or I fly off!!!!

Sessy
03-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Nope, I struggle too. I think it's how you use it. You're *supposed* to put the ball of the foot in the middle. But if you put your entire foot down on the thing, well yeah then there's not much to it.

samba
03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
My cats and I find a polished floor much better, I end up falling of these gadgets and scaring the life out of them.

Mrs Redboots
03-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I have a plastic paddle spinner which is wonderful for practising turns on, as you can almost believe you're on an edge.

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 08:41 AM
My cats and I find a polished floor much better, I end up falling of these gadgets and scaring the life out of them.
oh that brings back memories of my kids putting the cats in the swiveling office chair....and giving them a whirl or two 8O

but I digress!!!

I stopped spinning on my kitchen floor-it's tiny and the cabinets are hard when I hit them (OUCH)!!!