View Full Version : Exhibitions and performance sanctions

BuggieMom
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Coaches, knowledgeable parents, those in the know....I need some help!

My husband and I are involved with a local Down Syndrome network. Late last year, we began talking with the head honchos, who are great friends of ours, about doing a family fun day at our rink. They then gave me the responsibility of organizing a little exhibition of some local skaters to entertain for about 20-30 minutes. Now that it is all in the works, the asst. manager at our rink told me about performance sanctions. Well, that didn't seem to be a big problem until I started reading up on it....

I am organizing this as a representative of this organization, NOT as a member of a club. This is not a club event, so there is no sponsoring club. In fact, there would be members of about 3 different clubs, also kids with NO club affiliation. This would be held at the home rink of just one of the clubs represented, although we (My dd and I) are not members of that particular club. The ice is a private rental, rented by this organization, no admission is charged, no money is being given to any of the skaters, with the exception of travel expenses for two out-of-town Special Olympic skaters. The event will be heavily advertised, and families with special needs children are invited to attend. I have read the Sanctions Primer (http://www.usfsa.org/content/SANCTIONSPRIMER.pdf), and am even more confused.

Who gets the sanction if it is not organized by a club? The individuals?
Since I am organizing this as a favor to this organization, and as a representative of this organization NOT a club, would I need some kind of permission from the resident club for members of other clubs to perform?
Should each club represented get it's own sanction? Should this organization get, or is even able to get, a blanket sanction for the exhibition?

Any info would be appreciated!!!

LWalsh
01-31-2008, 10:20 PM
I would call US Figure Skating headquarters to get the answer. Thety are very helpful and I'm sure they'll help you sort this out. You don't want to run something without a sanction because it will be detrimental for the skaters participating who are eligible members.

w.w.west
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
I am the sanctions officer for my club. I looked it up in the rule book, and it does appear that even though no admission is being charged a performance sanction is needed (page 107 - 109 of the 2008 rulebook) You mention there are 3 different clubs including a club at the arena that the exhibition is being performed. I would contact the sanctions officer for that club and have them get a performance sanction. It is very simple and can be done online, but only the person authorized for sanctions for the club is allowed to apply. Contact the President of the club, they will know who it is. Actually, any one of the three clubs can get the sanction, but it is easiest for the club at the facility because the other clubs would have to get permission from the home club anyway. This sanction is all that will be needed. No individual sanctions will be needed.

Also, if there is an ISI club affiliated with this arena, they can get an endorsement from ISI and then there is nothing more that is needed because of the Joint Statement of Recognition between ISI and U.S. Figureskating.

If in doubt, you may also contact the Sanctions & Eligibility Committee. Herehttp://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?cat=7&id=2083

Good Luck on your event!!!

Clarice
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
If US Figure Skating eligible skaters are participating in this event, a performance sanction is needed. A member club needs to apply for it. Contact the club at the rink where the event is to take place, and ask to talk to an officer, preferably their sanction chairperson. They can contact the sanctions officer for your area, explain the situation, and find out exactly what you need to do. The local club would be sponsoring the event, as far as US Figure Skating is concerned. If skaters from other clubs are involved, their clubs don't need to get sanctions, too, but they do need to give their skaters permission to participate. It's usually a pretty straightforward thing, and can be done online. There's no charge for a sanction, unless you're applying late - less than 30 days in advance, in which case it will cost $25.