View Full Version : experience with dress site?

stacyf419
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi folks-
Anyone have any good/bad experiences with figureskatingdress.com (designs by Carrie Jones)? I'm thinking of ordering a dress from there (they make adult freestyle length skirts for their dresses!!!) and was wondering about their reputation.
TIA,
Stacy

twokidsskatemom
01-28-2008, 12:32 PM
We have bought from her for at least three years. Love her dresses, very nice person to work with !

stacyf419
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks much - good to hear!

ibreakhearts66
01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
i recently bought a dress from her and absolutely adore it. she was great to work with. i ordered off of her ebay site, so included in the price was the fit check system. it's great. she sends you two or three sample dresses so that you can know exactly what fits before she cuts the dress. if none of the off the rack sizes fit perfectly, you tell her where it is too small and by how much. also, when i got the dress there was a small tear in it, but she was great about taking it back and fixing it up right away. i HIGHLY recommend that site.

BuggieMom
01-29-2008, 06:53 AM
A mom at our rink ordered from her, and was SO disappointed in the dress, and got really bad attitude when she called to see what could be done. Granted, this person has a personality that can "inspire" a bad attitude in another, so I take that with a grain of salt!

I saw the dress... the workmanship was not good, and the dye on the skirt was not "set" or something, so when the poor child dripped water from her bottle on it, it ran and left big ugly drip marks. If she had fallen, she probably would have left a pink trail on the ice! The front of the bodice was cut in a way that the girl's "girls" would peek out the top through the mesh, which was not lined (which one would have expected with the way the fabric was cut so far down). I lined the top of the bodice for her, fixed the fastener (hooks and eyes which were sewn onto gold fabric with RED thread), and tried to set the dye a little better for her. She was able to wear it after that.

I was really surprised at how this dress looked, because she has a reputation for nice dresses. The design was pretty, and across the ice, no one would see the "workmanship" issues. I noticed because I make dresses, and I was surprised at what I saw. All I can say is, it must have been one that slipped by the quality control people, and I am sure she sends out better dresses than that, normally. She wouldn't have a good reputation if she sent out bad stuff on a regular basis.

Lenny2
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I also had a bad experience with this designer. She sent me a sample, and I could not believe how pure the quality was. The edges were raw and you could see glue marks around the decorations. I realize that many people seem to love her dresses but, to me, the designs seem really dull and simple and definitely not worth the price. Just my opinion.

ibreakhearts66
01-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I also had a bad experience with this designer. She sent me a sample, and I could not believe how pure the quality was. The edges were raw and you could see glue marks around the decorations. I realize that many people seem to love her dresses but, to me, the designs seem really dull and simple and definitely not worth the price. Just my opinion.

i would never buy a full-priced dress from her. i got mine through her ebay site and it was about 130 including the decoration and stoning.

different people certainly have different experiences with these designers. i happened to have a really good one with Carrie Jones, but oh man don't even get me started on Sharene. However, as Carrie Jones is one of the few dressmakers that does do adult length freestyle i think it is worth ordering a dress from her

BuggieMom
01-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Umm..not overly impressed by Sharene, either!
JMO;)

mikawendy
01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Umm..not overly impressed by Sharene, either!
JMO;)

I know one skater who wears nothing but Sharene, loves their dresses, and looks great in them. I also know another who had a bad experience with Sharene. EMMV?