View Full Version : reidell 2010 and 1310 LS

ibreakhearts66
01-27-2008, 04:42 AM
here's (http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/1310.html) the 1310 and here's (http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/2010.html) the 2010.

what the heck is with this design? i don't understand the shape of the boot. it doesnt seem like anyone could possibly have ankle joints shaped like that! i mean, the back of top of the boot (the backstay i think) is almost even with the front of the heel of the boot! the site says something about a new flex design, and i'm not sure if that is what they are referring to.

i'm not going to lie, i'm intrigued. but extremely confused. anyone know anything about these?

Ice Dancer
01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
It was the weird bit at the top which really struck me first, which I'm guessing is the "Soft cushioned top collar sustains serious skating while preventing lower leg irritation" bit. You'd have thought they would have made it white though, or is that me being fussy.

They look really bizarre all round, I'm not convinced they look very comfortable either. Would be interesting to know if anyone has tried them out/on.

FlyAndCrash
01-27-2008, 02:27 PM
The 1310 is recommended (by riedell) as about the same as a silver star boot. But, it costs about $50 more...

The 2010 compares to an Elite or HLS 1500 boot. It seems much more expensive.

"Mr. Edge" in Skating Magazine touted the benefits (don't exactly know what an endorsement by him would mean...) of the 2010 in the latest issure.

It does look a little ugly to me though.

slf
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
These two new boots sound interesting!

And I also hear that the width is slightly wider than the Medallion and Stars range. Can anybody confirm this? :??

vesperholly
02-05-2008, 03:39 AM
what the heck is with this design? i don't understand the shape of the boot. it doesnt seem like anyone could possibly have ankle joints shaped like that! i mean, the back of top of the boot (the backstay i think) is almost even with the front of the heel of the boot! the site says something about a new flex design, and i'm not sure if that is what they are referring to.
Do you mean how pronounced the heel is in comparison to the top of the ankle? It does look like the heel juts out a lot. It could just be the angle the photo was taken - it doesn't look like a dead-on profile shot. And some people have curvy heels/achilles tendons, I guess. Mine are so straight you could practically lay a ruler flat on them. IIRC that is one of the things that Klingbeil wants you to specify when ordering customs from them - I seem to remember drawings of heel profiles.

dbny
02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
It does look like the heel juts out a lot. It could just be the angle the photo was taken - it doesn't look like a dead-on profile shot. And some people have curvy heels/achilles tendons, I guess. Mine are so straight you could practically lay a ruler flat on them. IIRC that is one of the things that Klingbeil wants you to specify when ordering customs from them - I seem to remember drawings of heel profiles.

DD and I both started in Riedells and switched to custom Klingbeils. One of the things I noticed about Riedells (DD had Silver Stars, Gold Stars, and Royals) is that the heels are very deep, as you say. For DD, that meant huge bumps forming, which mostly went away in her Klingbeils.

Zac911
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
pending verification of my status at Riedell ( from the Mods ) i would like to bump this thread and address any questions about our new LS series boots. the boots have significant advantages and benefits. some of you have questions as i read above, but there is a reason for everything we have done with this boot. please understand that for it to be a better boot- it must be different and it's these differences that allow better performance. such as the pronounced heel which allows for much better heel lock and stabilization while allowing the best forward flex and pointing. the microfiber lining over the top of the tongue was done for comfort and the color was chosen based on wear characteristics ( white gets dirty easily and looked terrible after 6 mos ). most skaters tend to cover up this area with an OTB tight, boot cover, or pants and being that it was more of a natural color it blended with the soles very well. the arch is higher than past efforts as well as a smaller heel block with cork for impact absorption ( when a skater jumps the impact/force is over 4 times your body weight on your bones/joints and it is very important to help absorb this force ). the boot is 20% lighter and has an amazing fit when baked and laced up for the first time. there are many benefits to this design and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me. cheers!

Zac

Stormy
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I actually like the looks of both boots. I had every intention of getting the 1310s, but I just found a pair of 1500s on eBay for a steal...I knew it was risky getting boots unseen, but they were in my size and I couldn't resist. I figured if they didn't fit I'd just resell them, but they actually fit great and aren't broken down at all. I haven't skated in them yet. If for some reason they don't work out, I'll visit the idea of getting the 1310s again.

dbny
06-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I tried on the 2010's at the PSA Conference trade show, where Riedell had several fitters and fitting stock; even the oven for heat molding. I really liked it and would have bought the 1310 (next level down - I don't jump), but my feet are right between a Riedell 4.5 and 5, and so I could not get as good of a fit as I wanted. My coach did buy the 2010's and is eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Zac911
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I tried on the 2010's at the PSA Conference trade show, where Riedell had several fitters and fitting stock; even the oven for heat molding. I really liked it and would have bought the 1310 (next level down - I don't jump), but my feet are right between a Riedell 4.5 and 5, and so I could not get as good of a fit as I wanted. My coach did buy the 2010's and is eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Dan Riegelman is a heckuva nice guy and has forgotten more about skates than most people will ever remember. glad you had a chance to try them on and sorry we did not quite fit you. i look forward to hearing about your coaches' experience in them. 8-)

SynchroSk8r114
06-11-2008, 07:24 AM
These are growing in popularity in my area (east). Several coaches and higher level skaters are wearing them now and keep boasting about how comfortable they are. A girl at my rink just purchased one of these two makes (not sure which one) and I hear there's virtually no "break-in period". I'll be anxious to hear more about what she thinks of them and I'll be sure to post once I do.

Myself, I'm a Harlick girl! ;)

RachelSk8er
06-11-2008, 07:46 AM
All the skaters at my rink who have these now love them. They're a nice crossover boot for people who do freestyle and dance but only wear one pair of skates (or dancers who are stiff boot people and find dance boots too soft)--they have the advantage of being cut like lower like a dance boot but the support of a normal freestyle boot. (Also good for IJS footwork.) They look a little strange in the picture but on, with tights, they actually look really nice.

I wear 1500s now, which I literally bought weeks before the new series came out, but unfortunately I couldn't wait because I had a boot emergency mid-season and a very small window of time to break them in.

I think if you wear Reidells you'd be fine with them, if you've had problems with Reidells fitting in the past, they may not be good for you. I think if you find a brand of boot that works for you, it's best to stick with it.

sk8lady
06-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I tried the 1310s on twice. I got to skate in them a couple months ago, when one of the other adult skaters brought a pair in that had been lent to her by The Sharper Edge in the Boston area to try on. They fit me so I went on the ice and tried some spins, stroking, crossovers, and spirals. They were so comfortable I almost cried. I hated putting my own boots on. What really killed me was when my friend asked if anything felt weird and I said they were a little tight in the forefoot, but I wear an extra wide size so I expected that--and she said, "Wow! These are a AAA!" They were still more comfortable overall than my custom Harlicks.
I tried them on again at the PSA conference and there was not a pair that fit me because of my weird feet. They took my measurements to see if they could do a premium or if I needed a custom and said they'd call but I haven't heard back yet--I gather the ISI conference was right afterwards so they're probably swamped.
I've always avoided Riedells because the forefoot tends to be narrower but the forefoot on the 1310s seems to be wider.
I never even thought about how they looked--my feet are so screwed up that if I can get a skate that's actually comfortable I don't care if they look like bunny slippers!!

Zac911
06-11-2008, 09:03 AM
All the skaters at my rink who have these now love them. They're a nice crossover boot for people who do freestyle and dance but only wear one pair of skates (or dancers who are stiff boot people and find dance boots too soft)--they have the advantage of being cut like lower like a dance boot but the support of a normal freestyle boot. (Also good for IJS footwork.) They look a little strange in the picture but on, with tights, they actually look really nice.

I wear 1500s now, which I literally bought weeks before the new series came out, but unfortunately I couldn't wait because I had a boot emergency mid-season and a very small window of time to break them in.

I think if you wear Reidells you'd be fine with them, if you've had problems with Reidells fitting in the past, they may not be good for you. I think if you find a brand of boot that works for you, it's best to stick with it.

the 1500 is a nice boot with some outstanding features, but the new LS don't have much in common with the old fit of Riedell. yes we still have the cork heels and forefoot flex but the new material we use is extremely light, heat moldable and supportive once baked for the skater. the 2010 is proof you can have a stiff/supportive boot that is still comfortable. if someone has not had a Riedell on their foot in while you may want to give these a try-- they have distinct advantages.

Zac911
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I tried the 1310s on twice. I got to skate in them a couple months ago, when one of the other adult skaters brought a pair in that had been lent to her by The Sharper Edge in the Boston area to try on. They fit me so I went on the ice and tried some spins, stroking, crossovers, and spirals. They were so comfortable I almost cried. I hated putting my own boots on. What really killed me was when my friend asked if anything felt weird and I said they were a little tight in the forefoot, but I wear an extra wide size so I expected that--and she said, "Wow! These are a AAA!" They were still more comfortable overall than my custom Harlicks.
I tried them on again at the PSA conference and there was not a pair that fit me because of my weird feet. They took my measurements to see if they could do a premium or if I needed a custom and said they'd call but I haven't heard back yet--I gather the ISI conference was right afterwards so they're probably swamped.
I've always avoided Riedells because the forefoot tends to be narrower but the forefoot on the 1310s seems to be wider.
I never even thought about how they looked--my feet are so screwed up that if I can get a skate that's actually comfortable I don't care if they look like bunny slippers!!

send me a PM about this and where you are from-- i can call the rep for that territory and find out what the status is. do you know who you spoke with by chance?

Kyle Colwell
12-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I am thinking about buying these boots but I am unsure because I do not know what skaters' think of them. Can anyone give me an idea how these boots are holding up? Is there enough support for the ankle and front of the foot area? Do they help your jumps given the flexiblity in the ankle? I would like to hear from skaters and their coaches that have tried them for a good 6-months and what they think. Also what level of skater they are. Thanks!

dbny
12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
My coach finds them very comfortable. She has Sr MIF & FS and still skates, sometimes practicing a few hours, including doubles. Her old (very old) Harlicks were hurting the achilles area, and that has gone away, but the boots do seem to be breaking down faster than she expected.

twokidsskatemom
12-16-2008, 12:04 PM
My Dd just got them.LOVES them !!!!!!!!!!!! Can point toe, can see ankle bend, very little break in, LOVES them!Light weigh, cant say enough good things
She will be pre juv competive this season.

Kyle Colwell
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
My coach finds them very comfortable. She has Sr MIF & FS and still skates, sometimes practicing a few hours, including doubles. Her old (very old) Harlicks were hurting the achilles area, and that has gone away, but the boots do seem to be breaking down faster than she expected.

This was my concern--the break down----they do seem very comfortable and yes I could point the toes but I was concerned about them breaking down fast--they are supposed to be for advanced skaters doing double axels too right? Thanks for your helpful comments.

sk8star2010
05-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know anything about the 2010 boot? I here that that boot breaks down faster. Can anyone help me? I was thinking about getting them, but I would like to here skaters' input about the 2010 boot. Thanks! :D

sk8star2010
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
This was my concern--the break down----they do seem very comfortable and yes I could point the toes but I was concerned about them breaking down fast--they are supposed to be for advanced skaters doing double axels too right? Thanks for your helpful comments.

Yes! This is my concern as well. They look like a great boot, but do they break down really fast? I'm starting my double jumps, and I would like for these boots to last pretty long. Do you own a pair?

sk8star2010
05-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Ok, so I'm currently working on double jumps now, and I need new boots and blades. Lots of people tell me that mk phantoms are great. Also, people are telling me that pattern 99 are excellent as well.
For boots I'm thinking about getting the ls2010 Riedell boot. The boots I'm in now are Jacksons, but they are so heavy!
Does anyone have any input or opinions on this? Thanks much!

dbny
05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
The 2010's my coach got last year are pretty well done now, and she was talking about trying Jacksons next. Going to the PSA conference every year makes it easy to keep trying as there are always great bargains there.

Axelly
07-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Is anyone having trouble with the Riedell 2010 and 1310 LS breaking down?

CaraSkates
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Bringing this back to the top because I have a question about these boots and looking for others opinions..

So I've been in Riedells from the beginning, they work for my feet because you can get them split width for no extra fee. My current pair is the now discontinued Silver Stars which I've had for almost 18months and should have replaced at 12 (didn't skate much over the winter). I went to my fitter last night and tried on the 1310s, he didn't have the 2010s in my size in stock.

My question: Which boot would be better for a 19yo working on Novice MIF, Juvenile FS and Bronze Dances (hoping to test those soon!)? I killed my current pair and I'm using tape to hold them together through a competition next week. I'm leaning towards the 2010s, just because the 1310s don't feel very stiff at all. However, the 2010s are designed for skaters doing double axels, I'm never going to get there. I have very strong singles, good spins, and I work hard on moves and I do work on axels and the beginning doubles. During the summer and Christmas break I skate 8-10 hours a week, during the school year it's more like 2-5 a week.

sk8tmum
07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
DD has the old Gold Stars. They are, like the ones you are contemplating, rated for doubles etc. She doesn't do them. BUT: she's very tall and very long legged. Because of her height and weight (about 125) she needed the additional support and structure of the stiffer boots. She broke them in in a month, has beautiful deep knee bends, and our fitter just looked at them, and they've got to be replaced in the new year - which gives us about 24 months in them, skating 5 times a week.

So. Part of the equation (if it's not too personal :) ) - is your own height and weight.

(P.S., she's going to Riedell lightweights as she's moving up to the Gold Seals and wants to balance out the weight of the heavier blades with a lighter boot)

twokidsskatemom
07-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Bringing this back to the top because I have a question about these boots and looking for others opinions..

So I've been in Riedells from the beginning, they work for my feet because you can get them split width for no extra fee. My current pair is the now discontinued Silver Stars which I've had for almost 18months and should have replaced at 12 (didn't skate much over the winter). I went to my fitter last night and tried on the 1310s, he didn't have the 2010s in my size in stock.

My question: Which boot would be better for a 19yo working on Novice MIF, Juvenile FS and Bronze Dances (hoping to test those soon!)? I killed my current pair and I'm using tape to hold them together through a competition next week. I'm leaning towards the 2010s, just because the 1310s don't feel very stiff at all. However, the 2010s are designed for skaters doing double axels, I'm never going to get there. I have very strong singles, good spins, and I work hard on moves and I do work on axels and the beginning doubles. During the summer and Christmas break I skate 8-10 hours a week, during the school year it's more like 2-5 a week.
I wish I could give you more information. My DD is working on the same things you are, and she loves her 1310s.She hasnt broken them down and this is her second pair already, outgrew first pair.How ever she is 10 and might weigh 70bls soaking wet.I have never felt the other ones, so I dont know if there is a real difference in stiffness.She skates around 10 hours a week year around.
I know I would rather buy new boots more often than use something that is too stiff. I wish I could offer more advice...

CaraSkates
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
DD has the old Gold Stars. They are, like the ones you are contemplating, rated for doubles etc. She doesn't do them. BUT: she's very tall and very long legged. Because of her height and weight (about 125) she needed the additional support and structure of the stiffer boots. She broke them in in a month, has beautiful deep knee bends, and our fitter just looked at them, and they've got to be replaced in the new year - which gives us about 24 months in them, skating 5 times a week.

So. Part of the equation (if it's not too personal :) ) - is your own height and weight.

(P.S., she's going to Riedell lightweights as she's moving up to the Gold Seals and wants to balance out the weight of the heavier blades with a lighter boot)

This sounds more like me. I've got very long, muscular legs. When I tried on the 1310s they just didn't feel as though they would have enough support for me. I could bend very easily already. I broke my last pair of Silver Stars in in a week - I was doing singles through loop the first two hours in them and all my spins and jumps by the end of the week. My fitter said the 1310s are only a little stiffer then the Silver Stars. If I had not been away at college and only skating 2 hours a week the majority of the school year I don't think they would have lasted. As it is, I can feel them break down each day. I'm keeping my MK Professional blades as I've been in them for 4.5 years and love them. I'm really looking forward to the lightweight boot!

twokidsskatemom - I am twice the size of your daughter lol and 5' 6" so a bit bigger. ;)

sk8tmum
07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
OKay, from our fitter: the ones that replaced the Gold Stars are the same stiffness and structure as the Gold Stars, but, much lighter; you don't even need to move to the lightweight series to drop weight.

It's funny you mention Silver Stars. I questioned the Gold Stars when he put them on her feet, and asked about the Silver ones, because of her skating level. I got that "look", and was told she would break down the Silver ones within 3 months. The Gold Stars would last. He was certainly right about them working well!

CaraSkates
08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I ended up with the 2010s as my coach informed me he thought I would break down the 1310s way too fast doing Novice MIF in them. My old blades (MK Professionals that I'm sure will only last this year, they are already 3.5 years old) were mounted to them last night and I skated in them this morning. They are the comfiest new skates I've ever had!! Stiff but I could still do crossovers, powerpulls, perimeter stroking, cross strokes, counters, etc in them.

Only issue - I think the left blade is mounted incorrectly though as I'm having trouble hitting the outside edge. I can force it but my foot was tired afterwards and it just didn't feel right to me. At first I thought it might be because my turns/edges are just much stronger on my right foot but it just doesn't seem quite right. I've been skating 5.5 years, I should be able to manage the right entrance into a scratch spin! Hopefully I can get that fixed tomorrow night since I have lessons Thursday. Otherwise, I love them.

mariana
09-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi!
I'm taking classes in ice skating and I want to buy a skate.
My teacher pointed out the Riedell 910 LS.
Does anyone know?
And what boot is similar to this?

ps: I'm Brazilian and I'm not fluent in English. :(