View Full Version : GAM boots

abbi_1990
01-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of GAM boots?

Also, do you know which model is most suitable for a skater who is 5ft tall, 45 kg, skates 3x week and is working on the freestyle passports and Level 1 field moves?

TIA

AxelBaby
01-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I used the Gam boots and had a terrible experience with them. They felt great for about a week then I had injury after injury with them. One stress fracture, tendonitis in both legs, and the formation of two large cysts that wont go away. Now I know these things can happen regardless of the boot, but two sports medicine doctors confirmed that the boot was the cause of all of these injuries before I would consider purchasing a new boot. If it helps any I had the Gam 50 model and I was working all single jumps including axel in them.

I found that even though they fit nice and tight when I got them, in about two weeks of skating on them (probably three-four days a week for 2-3 hours at a time) they stretched out so much that my foot was shifting all over the place. The break in wasn't bad bad at all, but it was the fact that they broke down so quickly and I just didn't want to have to replace them - all in all they lasted me about 5 months before I had to break down and buy a new pair of skates.

But everyone likes something different. I believe there are others on this forum that use GAM boots and have had a good experience with them. Maybe they just weren't right for me. Also if it helps any, I had them paired with the GAM G-4 blade. I absolutely LOVED the blade! The only reason I switched to a new blade with my new skates was because I just couldn't resist purchasing those colored paramount blades any longer!

Good Luck with the boot search!

abbi_1990
01-27-2008, 10:03 AM
maybe the boot wasnt stiff enough for you in the first place?

are you in the UK or USA?

AxelBaby
01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm located in the USA. You could be right, however, I was told that the boot was stiff enough for my level and my weight (I tend to be on the small side). When I was first looking into them I requested some of the higher models and was told that it would take forever to break them in because I wasn't heavy enough.

Just my experience though!

NickiT
01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm in GAM 65s and have had them 8 years now. I skate 5 times a week so to me they are pretty hard wearing and when I go get new boots this year, I'll definitely go for GAMs again. I don't think they do the 65s now but I know there is an equivalent. My daughter who is 13 and has passed NISA level 2 tests, is in GAM 50s so I guess this is probably the boot for you, but I'd definitely go to a reputable skate fitter to ensure you get the right boot for you.

Nicki

Bunny Hop
01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I had Gam 0095s for almost 18 months before giving up on them because they were far too stiff for me (in my opinion, I was mis-sold them). I am not quite at the Passport stage.

I never came close to breaking them in, and they were hindering my skating as a result - I'm living proof that too high a boot for your level is a very bad thing! I will probably sell mine, as I can't envision going back to the Gams, even if I eventually reach a level where they would be appropriate. But all my problems with them were basically related to the stiffness - I didn't get any blisters or sore spots from them. And there are plenty of other people who would highly recommend Gam. As always with skating boots, which brand you like is a very personal thing and different brands suit different feet!

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Gam 95s will be too much boot for anybody who isn't quite Passport level; I'm in 75s (the old 65), my second pair, and absolutely love them. Husband went up to 95s when he changed boots earlier this year, and still isn't quite sure about them, as he finds the tongue too thick to do up comfortably.

It seems to me that people who are small and slight don't do as well in Gams as those who are heavier. Certainly my first pair lasted me for seven or eight years and I was very overweight then - to the point that when I lost weight I needed a new pair!

Bunny Hop
01-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Husband went up to 95s when he changed boots earlier this year, and still isn't quite sure about them, as he finds the tongue too thick to do up comfortably.
The tongue was a major problem - it is very thick. I actually ended up with a slight gap between the tongue and the boot in one spot, I had so much trouble lacing them properly.

abbi_1990
01-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I have been recommended GAM 70's but from looking at their website im not sure if they are going to be too stiff for me.

This will be my third pair of boots in less than 6 months so i really want to get the right ones this time!

AxelBaby, what was your level, and your height/weight? (you can PM me if you want)

AxelBaby
01-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I believe you are in the UK and I don't really know how the different levels work there but I can list my skills for you.

I'm 5'6 and about 105 lbs.

I have all singles except the axel is not consistent. Double sal and double loop are not really consistent.

As far as spins go - I have both front and back camel, camel-sit combinations forward and back, illusions, back scratch, Y-spins (I think thats what they are called) the one where you go from a sit spin and grab your leg and pull up into a spiral position.

I don't really know what level that makes me, but I've tested through adult bronze in USFSA.

Hope that helps!

mintypoppet
01-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm 5'4, 50kg, and went into GAM 95s when I was in SkateUK level 6 (just learning forward outside 3turns). Two years later, I'm still skating in them.

I chose those rather than the 65s because they have more padding and were more comfortable. I later ended up with a pair of GAM 400s as well, which are meant to be stiffer... but again, I find them more comfortable even than the 95s because they have so much extra padding.

My only complaint is that I have the narrowest width fitting, and they are *still* too wide for my right foot. Other than that, I've always loved them and hate the idea of having to change to another (narrower) brand next time.

The tongue will be stiff until you have broken the boots in, but it does improve. I have been told that GAM are known to be a soft boot, and so the break in time isn't as bad as for some other brands. I certainly didn't have any problem breaking in the 400s, and I think I was working on passport at the time.

Since you're in the UK, take a trip down to Reading and see Les Westaway - he'll be able to recommend the right model for your level.

abbi_1990
01-27-2008, 12:01 PM
AxelBaby - your a wayyyy better skater than me, i cant work out what level your at but its certainly much higher then me. Iv been reccomended the GAM70 which is the model up from the one u had.

Mintypoppet - thanks for your post, it was helpful, since im a bit shorter and a bit lighter than you and working at a slightly higher level than you were at the time, i think the GAM 70's should be okay for me.

they dont make the GAM65's anymore, but i think the GAM70 may be the new version??

my feet are really wide, they are 21cms circumference around the widest part of the ball and about 21.5cms long. so i dont think i'd have a problem with them being too wide.

it was Les that recommended the GAM70's, i just wanted to check because i was a bit surprised when i saw the info on the GAM website saying they were for intermediate skaters - i wouldnt say i was an intermediate skater, more like beginner lol.

why did you get another pair so soon after the first?

I think Les is going to post me the skates and if they dont fit then i will have to go down to Reading to try on some others. Is this what you did? or did you just go there?

mintypoppet
01-27-2008, 02:03 PM
they dont make the GAM65's anymore, but i think the GAM70 may be the new version??

Yes, I think they are.

it was Les that recommended the GAM70's, i just wanted to check because i was a bit surprised when i saw the info on the GAM website saying they were for intermediate skaters - i wouldnt say i was an intermediate skater, more like beginner lol.

Well, Les sold me the 400s saying that he usually gave them to skaters doing triple jumps. However, because I skate most days, it made sense to give me a hard-wearing boot. And, as he pointed out, "GAM don't do a stiff boot".

why did you get another pair so soon after the first?

I had chronic compartment syndrome in my leg. While it was being investigated, it was noted that the right boot was twisted, so I switched to the 400s to see if that would help. I think the twisting happened because they are too wide for my right foot, so they broke in oddly. Nearly a year later, I decided I wanted dance blades, and that I would put up with the twisted boot! So I have MK Dance on the 95s and MK Pro on the 400s. I prefer the dance blades, and the 400 boots, but I won't switch them over or else I'd never practice freeskate!

I think Les is going to post me the skates and if they dont fit then i will have to go down to Reading to try on some others. Is this what you did? or did you just go there?

Spending £300 on something that was set to last me several years, I wanted to make sure it was right, so I went down to see Les. He measured my feet up, I tried on a few different models, and he gave me plenty of useful information. I'd definitely recommend going down in person if you can.

abbi_1990
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
It was Les that suggested that i sent him a tracing of my foot and some other measurements so that he could send me the boots.

It would take at least 2.5 hours each way for me to go and see him. Since i cant drive yet i would have to get one of my parents to take me...... Its possible, but i think my mum was quite happy when he said he could send the skates to us and if they didnt fit then we could go and see him to try other boots on.

Hows your leg now?

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2008, 03:58 PM
You should be fine in Gam 70s - they are blissfully comfortable, never rub, and probably the right level for you now. I know they say "intermediate", but honestly, if you're approaching Passport, you should be fine in them. The 95s have more padding, but would probably be too much boot for you right now. Husband has his Level 1 Elements and Free, as well as Level 3 compulsory dance, Level 1 Free Dance and Level 3 Skating Moves, and is only just all right in them. Les recommended them to him as we skate so much, but said the 70s would still be fine. Me, I plan to stay in the 70s!

abbi_1990
01-27-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks MrsRedboots, your post put my mind at ease :)

Having had problems with the pair of boots i brought in november, and the pair before that i am now very wary and skeptical lol.

I wil be sending my measurements off to Les in the morning.

BatikatII
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I have GAM 95's and although I like them, it did take me over a year before I ever did up the topmost hook which is probably not ideal. Eventually my coach insisted and it felt like skating in a plaster cast for a while. I still have problems with them rubbing at the top of the boot - more so since I went back to dance as well as free and really started to bend my knees!

Part of the problem I find is that because the insides were suede, this rubbed and became lumpy although it looks nice and soft to start with. I would definitely check for a boot that has smooth leather inside rather than suede for my next pair. But other people I know have had no problem so maybe it's just me:??

My first pair were GAM 65's or maybe even 50's and were fine for learning single jumps and were quite easy to break in although I rather foolishly got them just before attending a skate camp which meant I was in them rather a lot and wasn't the most sensible idea! For my current boots I was seduced by the extra padding in the GAM 95 but would agree with others who say the tongue padding is really too thick.

My first pair of boots were second hand Risports and were blissfully broken in before I got them. I think I would have actually been almost as well off just to upgrade the blade to Coronation Ace or MK Professional than to upgrade the boot as well.

LW*
01-28-2008, 04:17 AM
I found that even though they fit nice and tight when I got them, in about two weeks of skating on them (probably three-four days a week for 2-3 hours at a time) they stretched out so much that my foot was shifting all over the place. The break in wasn't bad bad at all, but it was the fact that they broke down so quickly

I was the complete opposite, so perhaps with hindsight it would have been better for you to get a smaller size so they fit after they were broken in? Mine were really really too tight in most places when I first got them, to the point I had to go back and have them stretched a couple of times. Since then, they've been fine and I'm very happy with them. I've had this pair for about 8 years (although took a long break from skating in that time) and my previous pair were GAMs as well.

my feet are really wide, they are 21cms circumference around the widest part of the ball and about 21.5cms long. so i dont think i'd have a problem with them being too wide.

My feet are wide too - it was definitely worth me getting skates from Les because he stretched my new skates for me more than once. I had more problems than most because although I had wide feet I also had really narrow ankles. Luckily I was only living about 20 minutes away at the time, so going to visit him wasn't a problem, but I remember him saying he sells a lot of skates via foot tracings and the post.

It seems to me that people who are small and slight don't do as well in Gams as those who are heavier.
Ooh, I'm not sure I like that theory, having said I like my GAMs ;) Although to be fair, I'm not exactly light or skinny :(

abbi_1990
01-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Hmm, i am both light and skinny (if i do say so myself lol) :??

sk8_4fun
01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I had Gam 0095s for almost 18 months before giving up on them because they were far too stiff for me (in my opinion, I was mis-sold them). I am not quite at the Passport stage.

I never came close to breaking them in, and they were hindering my skating as a result - I'm living proof that too high a boot for your level is a very bad thing! I will probably sell mine, as I can't envision going back to the Gams, even if I eventually reach a level where they would be appropriate. But all my problems with them were basically related to the stiffness - I didn't get any blisters or sore spots from them. And there are plenty of other people who would highly recommend Gam. As always with skating boots, which brand you like is a very personal thing and different brands suit different feet!

yep, me too! hindsight is a wonderful thing! they were lovely boots though, just not appropriate for me, feet were comfy but shins and calves were agony.8O

Mrs Redboots
01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
One thing with fitting Gams is that when you first put them on, your toe _should_ be touching the end of the boot - you'll think, heck, these are far too tight, but when you put the laces in and do them up, they fit totally differently, and you aren't aware of your toes touching the end at all! Weird, or what?

abbi_1990
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
One thing with fitting Gams is that when you first put them on, your toe _should_ be touching the end of the boot - you'll think, heck, these are far too tight, but when you put the laces in and do them up, they fit totally differently, and you aren't aware of your toes touching the end at all! Weird, or what?

isnt that the same with all boots? i tried on some risports once and the same thing happened.