View Full Version : An 2009???

badaxel
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
It may be WAAAY to early for this, but does anyone know where/ when AN 09 will be? We just got our calendar for next year, and I'm dying to know if I'll be able to go or not. We're off the week of April 6-10, so I'm hoping that's when it will be. Thanks in advance!

TimDavidSkate
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I think we'll find out at Lake Placid - they usually announce it by then... I hope its in large arena like Lake Placid 8-)

phoenix
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I've heard rumors of Michigan.

flying~camel
01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
My club is planning to bid again (we lost 08 to LP) and were told that USFS will not be accepting bids until Nationals is over.

herniated
01-24-2008, 11:37 AM
It may be WAAAY to early for this, but does anyone know where/ when AN 09 will be? We just got our calendar for next year, and I'm dying to know if I'll be able to go or not. We're off the week of April 6-10, so I'm hoping that's when it will be. Thanks in advance!

Michigan would be nice! It's close to my sister! Not that anyone else cares, lol!:D But, good for meeeee!!!

stacyf419
01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Jer-sey! Jer-sey! Jer-sey!

TimDavidSkate
01-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Exactly,

It would be nice to have it at (Essex SC)South Mountain Arena in West Orange or Morristown (SC of Morris) at the Mennen Arena---> has three surfaces

herniated
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Ahhhh! That would be nice toooo!!!! No flying.

doubletoe
01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Time to complain once more that it is NEVER on the West Coast!! :cry:
I am so sick of having to wake up at 2:00am my time to compete!

TimDavidSkate
01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I guess it would be nice to have AN in California 8-)

sk8er1964
01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Grand Rapids works for me! :mrgreen:

jazzpants
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM

I'll second and third that emotion too!!! Alas, it's a budget issue and rink space here in the Bay Area. The one rink that has more than 2 patches of ice is expensive (at least that's what I've heard) and the other rink... well, no one really liked the neighborhood so...

Jer-sey! Jer-sey! Jer-sey!Only if it's Hackensack! I want White Manna burgers!!! :yum: :mrgreen:

Grand Rapids works for me! :mrgreen:Well, I prefer it to Lake Placid b/c it's cheaper and easier to travel to it than Lake Placid. But I guess we'll see what other places would bid for AN 2009 then.

badaxel
01-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Exactly,

It would be nice to have it at (Essex SC)South Mountain Arena in West Orange or Morristown (SC of Morris) at the Mennen Arena---> has three surfaces

Yeah, then it wouldn't matter when it was, I could still go!!!!
And, with 5 bedrooms, my new house could almost be the official hotel!

So, I'm assuming that they don't set the dates until after they pick the club?

looplover
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
OMG I would love it if it were at Mennen, my old rink! That would be fabulous.

MusicSkateFan
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
My vote for a west-coast AN would have to be for VEGAS!!!!
I don't think they have the ice facility:roll:

NoVa Sk8r
01-24-2008, 05:16 PM
The Skating Club of Nevada in Las Vegas puts on the Desert ice competition every year at the dual-rink Las Vegas Ice Center. Maybe they *can* host.

(Let's all contact Century Leigh and convince her and her club to submit a bid!)

jazzpants
01-24-2008, 05:41 PM
My vote for a west-coast AN would have to be for VEGAS!!!!
I don't think they have the ice facility:roll:And you know what they say.... "Whatever's in Vegas... STAYS in Vegas, right???" ;) :twisted: :P

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it. Airfare's cheap... rooms are cheap too depending on where to stay at. Hubby would come along and have something to do besides watching me skate. (Okay, so I really can't do much in Vegas if hubby comes along. :halo: ) LOTS of good buffets too!!! :yum: :mrgreen:

coskater64
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Hey Cench is on the LVFSC board, unfortunately I think it is a different club that has the 2 rink facility, we keep telling her they should have ANs in Vegas.

I would imagine the Michigan has a good shot as they put in a nice bid but ANs would have been in the midwest for 3 years. Maybe next year, I know ANs will never be in CO to much complaining about the altitude, regardless of the beautiful facilities. Sigh.

I don't think the bids are due for a while,...:halo: :twisted:

herniated
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I would love to go to Colorado!! What a perfect excuse to visit. The National showcase event was there this summer, unfortunatly I could not attend. Sniff, even though I qualified, sniff.

What's up with the altitude? No pun intended.:D My point is that there are events held there so can it be a very hard adjustment? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I do know that it takes time to adjust to higher altitudes. LP is a higher altitude too, so why don't people complain about this location?

Vegas would be cool too. Of course closer to home means I'd probably be able to attend without much of a problem.

flying~camel
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Grand Rapids works for me! :mrgreen:

Me too! But, I'm biased since I live in GR and I'm on the GGR AN 09 bid committee :halo:

Thin-Ice
01-25-2008, 03:20 AM
(snip)
LP is a higher altitude too, so why don't people complain about this location?

Lake Placid is not really "high altitude".. it's only about 1800'. Maybe you're thinking of the top of Whiteface Mountain? But that's still less than 5000'.

I'd love to go to Colorado too. My Masters synchro team skated at the World Arena in Colorado Springs (altitude approx. 8000'). The day before the event we did 3 run-throughs of our 4-minute program during our 15-minute official practice ice. One of the Skate Moms who was volunteering wanted to know what part of the Rockies we were from.. since we were the only team that did complete back-to-back run-throughs.. and then we tacked on the last run-through after that. I laughed... because our team trained at about 100' above sea level.. but I knew how to train for altitude and was the very bossy team captain.. making everyone drink enough water the entire trip. And of course we practiced by doing double run-throughs to start.. and our last couple of practices did 4 run-throughs with just 10 seconds in between them.

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2008, 05:46 AM

They had it at Oakland/Berkeley in 1998 - some of us came out from the UK to watch. And people complained and didn't like it as the area wasn't thought to be very nice (seemed fine to me!) and although there was a coach (bus, I mean) that ran between the hotel and the two rinks, the schedule for it was a bit unrealistic.

All the same, it was great to visit California!

coskater64
01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
FYI - World Arena is at 6000 ft, slightly higher than Denver (5280= one mile) but not 8000 feet.

Vail's ice arena and the town are situated at about 8300 feet.

Of course the World Arena makes you feel like you are at 8000 feet because it is such a nice facility and the mountains are so close. Really a nice setting.

Stormy
01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Mennen just got awarded next years Synchro Easterns, I doubt they'll take one two major competitions in one year.

I'd love to go to California myself!! Ive been to Grand Rapids for synchro nationals, and it was ok. I always want to go to someplace WARM and FUN!

TimDavidSkate
01-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Mennen just got awarded next years Synchro Easterns, I doubt they'll take one two major competitions in one year.

Darn! :oops:

jazzpants
01-26-2008, 01:59 AM
I am so sick of having to wake up at 2:00am my time to compete!Hey, Doubletoe! Has your club put a bid in last year or previous years? As I have mentioned on CAS, I wouldn't mind going to La-la-land!!! Heck, I would stay a couple of days more and get some lessons from a couple of coaches down there!!! :P I have my eye on your primary coach for general technical stuff, Braden Overett for footwork and choreography someday (when I have the footwork skills down to justify getting someone of his caliber... :frus: :cry: on his SP tonight too!) ...and Frank Carroll... well...just b/c I can...:twisted: ;) :P :lol:

Terri C
01-26-2008, 05:28 PM
L.A. sounds like a killer location for AN, but I think we all forgot something.
2009 Worlds will be held there.
Could the LA area clubs handle both Worlds and AN in such a short timeframe (Worlds will be in late March)?

TreSk8sAZ
01-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I would be more for San Diego than L.A. if it is to be in Southern Cali. They held standard track Sectionals, and a rink nearby held Southwest Pacific Regionals. Less traffic, plenty of rinks nearby. Also slightly less expensive.

Mel On Ice
01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd love for my skating vacation to include someplace warm and would love a trip out west, but SOMEONE HAS TO BID. When we were up against Placid for this year's bid, there wasn't a single bid in the mix form the west.

San Diego would be nice... or even Arizona.

SK8RX
01-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd love for my skating vacation to include someplace warm and would love a trip out west, but SOMEONE HAS TO BID. When we were up against Placid for this year's bid, there wasn't a single bid in the mix form the west.

San Diego would be nice... or even Arizona.

Yeah I'd vote for Arizona. The Alltel Ice Den in Scottsdale is a nice two rink facility.

TreSk8sAZ
01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah I'd vote for Arizona. The Alltel Ice Den in Scottsdale is a nice two rink facility.

We've been thinking about putting a bid in, however circumstances are making this take quite a bit longer than we had originally thought. We did regionals 2-3 years ago, so it's entirely possible. But more likely we would host Pac Coasts first, then ANs sometime down the road.

Thin-Ice
01-28-2008, 03:35 AM
FYI - World Arena is at 6000 ft, slightly higher than Denver (5280= one mile) but not 8000 feet.

Vail's ice arena and the town are situated at about 8300 feet.

Of course the World Arena makes you feel like you are at 8000 feet because it is such a nice facility and the mountains are so close. Really a nice setting.

Oops! :oops: Thanks for catching my typo! I'll change my original post!

DRAT! I can't get into my original post to edit it. Thanks again though for catching my error!