View Full Version : Do you like you Short or Long Program better?

FSWer
01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Say,here's one I don't think we've talked about yet. But do you like your Short or Long Program better, and which one do you consider to be your fav.?

jazzpants
01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm Adult Bronze level, so we don't really have a short or a long program. We only have either the technical program or the artistic program.

And as for which ones are my favorites... I'm currently not liking my technical now b/c it's currently "under construction" and it's quite messy at the moment. :evil:

FSWer
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm Adult Bronze level, so we don't really have a short or a long program. We only have either the technical program or the artistic program.

And as for which ones are my favorites... I'm currently not liking my technical now b/c it's currently "under construction" and it's quite messy at the moment. :evil:

?.....I never knew there was a difference. I thought those names were just fancy names for Long and Short. Just like the Long is sometimes called the Free.

Clarice
01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Skaters in the US start doing long and short programs at the Intermediate level. Below that, they only do one program, just called a free skate. Local competitions also often offer compulsory events, especially at the lower levels. These are very short programs, with no music, where all the skaters include the same list of required elements. For Juvenile skaters and below, this can kind of take the place of the short program and get them ready to compete two programs.

Adult skaters also only do one free skate program, which some refer to as their "technical" program. Skaters at any level can also enter "artistic" events, where they are scored more on creativity and interpretation. We have artistic, also called interpretive, events at Adult Nationals, but they don't offer them at regular Nationals. There is a special national-level competition, National Showcase, that is just for artistic programs. You will often see artistic events at local competitions. ISI competitions call these events by different names - I'm not familiar with ISI, so somebody else will have to explain what's available there.

techskater
01-24-2008, 07:46 AM
And now adults can enter BOTH kinds of Interp at ANs - Light Entertainment and Artistic/Dramatic.

I like all three of my programs for different reasons.

Sessy
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Sums up my situation too!

FSWer
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Skaters in the US start doing long and short programs at the Intermediate level. Below that, they only do one program, just called a free skate. Local competitions also often offer compulsory events, especially at the lower levels. These are very short programs, with no music, where all the skaters include the same list of required elements. For Juvenile skaters and below, this can kind of take the place of the short program and get them ready to compete two programs.

Adult skaters also only do one free skate program, which some refer to as their "technical" program. Skaters at any level can also enter "artistic" events, where they are scored more on creativity and interpretation. We have artistic, also called interpretive, events at Adult Nationals, but they don't offer them at regular Nationals. There is a special national-level competition, National Showcase, that is just for artistic programs. You will often see artistic events at local competitions. ISI competitions call these events by different names - I'm not familiar with ISI, so somebody else will have to explain what's available there.

Interesting.....is there a reason why it's done that way?

littlekateskate
01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Lol, it depends on who is skating. Some skaters I just cant stand to watch that long. Others I enjoy. The same goes in general. Some skaters do better on a short and others do better at a long.

So just a little of both :(