View Full Version : My first lesson - nervous...

debrag
01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
So hopefully I'll be taking my first lesson tomorrow (UK levels) I've been looking at the elements and can do most of level 1 & 2 :mrgreen:

I don't think I'm aiming for comps just seeing how far I can go. I'm 26 now lol I've read on here people older than me have gotten to passports just after a year of starting that is great :bow:

I just don't know what to expect with my first lesson at least it will be with adults and the serious skates will prob be having early morning lessons. I always feel that some look down at those not at the same levels as them.

Skittl1321
01-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Don't be nervous! It's going to be a lot of fun! If someone is looking down on you for not being at their level, it is my stance that their opinion isn't one that matters. Everyone! had to start at the beginning, and everyone has someone out there who is better than them at something (even World Champions and Olympians don't win everytime).

As for the lesson, just go with the flow. I think it's good that you are familiar with the early levels, but be open minded that things that are self taught might not be "quite right"- and take a instructors advice on how to improve them. It's so important not to skip quickly through the "easy stuff" because that foundation is really important. If no one else in the class has an understanding of these early moves that you can do, it doesn't hurt to ask if the instructor thinks it would be appropriate to move you to the next level, but don't be offended if they want you to stay put.

But most of all Good Luck and welcome to the world of Adult skating you (and I- I'm 26 tomorrow) are YOUNG as far as adult skating!

debrag
01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't wait :) I'm off out tonight to buy everything I need so I have have my own skates tomorrow :) My check out the rink also.

fsk8r
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
So hopefully I'll be taking my first lesson tomorrow (UK levels) I've been looking at the elements and can do most of level 1 & 2 :mrgreen:

I don't think I'm aiming for comps just seeing how far I can go. I'm 26 now lol I've read on here people older than me have gotten to passports just after a year of starting that is great :bow:

I just don't know what to expect with my first lesson at least it will be with adults and the serious skates will prob be having early morning lessons. I always feel that some look down at those not at the same levels as them.

You'll find that you won't have people looking down on you, but you might be a bit nervous and anxious looking up. I wouldn't worry about that. Skating is in some ways like a mountain. You can only see up as far as the next ledge because of the fog. Unfortunately when you get to the next ledge you can then see that bit further up and it can get to be a bit undaunting, but when you realise that we're all on the same mountain and all aiming at the same or similar tops, it's not quite so bad.

I've been skating a little longer than you and am a little older than you (but we're only talking a couple of years) and it's still a challenge to get anywhere and is a bit depressing when the kids get it in 5 mins, but as long as you can see you're own progress it's very rewarding to be addicted to it. That and other people (non-skaters) think you are brilliant when you can skate around the rink and stop without falling over. They seem to think that you must be some kind of Torville and Dean, which is nice for the old ego, and don't worry, they won't believe you when you tell them that you're not.

Ice Dancer
01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm sure you'll find everyone friendly! I started in adult group lesson at 24, and everyone in the higher groups were really supportive and helpful. I was totally useless when I started so you have a definate advantage.

Hope you have a great time!

sk8_4fun
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
all the best for your first lesson, I'm sure you will love it! Nobody will look down on you- most adult learners can remember being where you are and in my experience they are only to keen to help. I started skating at almost 39 and I wish I'd done it alot sooner:P

happy skating!:mrgreen:

Lisa M.
01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I started right where you are just about a year ago. I am now coming up on FS3, and I am 35. It can definitely be done. One thing though, it is addicting. You find yourself trying to rearrange your day just to get a chance at going to the rink. Not really a morning person at all, I am now getting up at 0500 just to get to the 0615 sessions at my rink.

As for getting to the next level...as long as you are enjoying yourself you find that sometimes the next level comes to you instead of you going to it.

Tiara
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
So how was it?! Give us the details of your first lesson!

debrag
01-25-2008, 02:56 AM
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would and I did enjoy in.
We weren't split into levels just beginners, intermediates & advanced. The coach was like 'if you've been here before &/or can skate, then go into the intermediates' the ones who did were told to go back to beginners.

Bare in mind this is UK levels & the rink did tell me the lessons were based on them.

Sit & Stand on the Ice - level 1. Can do
Moving forward (basic skating) - level 1 Can do
Two-foot glide and dip - level 1 Can do
Snow plough stop - level 2 Can do
Forward & Backwards Sculling (lemons) level 3 Can do
Two foot turn - level ? Keep turning with the hips & using arms
Lunge - level ? dragging one leg behind the other - getting there but when I come up I start turning
Balance on one foot - level ? getting there

I was talking to another skater, and we kind of came to the same thing that it would be the same things each week and not really level based.

I am looking at Sobell & Streatham now, though I like how Queens the rink is only for lessons and the public skate is afterwards.
With Sobell you get free entry into the Monday evening session even though the lessons are Tues & Thur night.
Streatham seems okay & Ally Pally I don't like that there are no evening seesions and that after I think level 6 you have to go private.

tidesong
01-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Hey that sounds cool, you are right, something structured may be good on the long haul. Still as you skate and take lessons you may prefer to change things as you get along, there's usually quite a number of options available.

debrag
01-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Going to book Sobell on Sunday, will have to take private lessons after Level 5 as the latest time for group lessons is 5:15 and I finish work at 5. These are junior & adult classes.

Streatham go to level 8, Ally Pally to level 10 - adult only

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2008, 05:50 AM
However, at Streatham there are adult groups at the weekends where people who've got level 8 can continue to train, although without the opportunity to pass levels 9 & 10 and the Passports. But by the time you get to that stage, you'll be taking private lessons anyway (I know you are saying not, now, but if you stick with this sport, trust me....).

I think they've just started a new set of courses at Streatham, so it will be some weeks before the next one starts.

debrag
01-25-2008, 06:22 AM
a new course starts 19th Feb