View Full Version : Pre Novice Competitive

Muskoka Skater
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if there were any competitve skaters on this site that can help me with a couple of questions. I took the Pre Novice competitive for the first time last Sunday and I didn't pass, but I did have a dreadful skate. I was wondering for the Pre Novice test if you have to do all double or can you do one single as long as it's in a sequence? Also how long does a Pre Novice long program have to be? One final question, do you have to have a double salchow in the program? If anybody can answer theses questions it will be greatly appreciated!

sk8guy
01-23-2008, 10:03 AM
These are questions for your coach.

Muskoka Skater
01-23-2008, 10:06 AM
My coach never had a skater that wants to become competitive before me.

debrag
01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
wouldn't your coach have the guidelines or something?

sk8guy
01-23-2008, 11:36 AM
The program requirements are on the back of the test sheet. If yours doesn't have it, go on SC Members only and download a copy. Look under technical and program info, then test sheets.

Muskoka Skater
01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks I'll try that.

sk8tmum
01-23-2008, 06:51 PM
A few things ... the rules for Comp Tests have changed, so, here's the stuff from as of Nov 30/07

(2) PRE-NOVICE COMPETITIVE SINGLES TEST: This test shall consist of a Free Skating
Program.
(a) PROGRAM: The candidate will skate a 3.0 minute (+ or – 10 seconds) program to
music. (Rule 5501 (2))
(b) PASSING REQUIREMENT: This program must meet the criteria for a well balanced
Pre-Novice Competitive free skating program as defined in regulation C - 4.1(1) above.
((i) TEST TAKEN IN COMPETITION: All requirements must be met
Minimum Technical Score: 15.0
Minimum Skating Skills Score: 2.50 trimmed mean or higher
Passing Score: 25.0
(ii) TEST TAKEN OUT OF COMPETITION: All requirements must be met
Sum of GOE Scores: -6 or higher
Minimum Skating Skills Score: 2.50 or higher
Minimum sum of five components Scores: 12.00 or higher
Minimum Jump Content: At least 3 different double jumps

This former is for taken in competition vs. with Cumulative Points, the latter in a test day situation.

Here's the Well Balanced Program component:

Pre-Novice Well Balanced Program
• Maximum of 7 jump elements
o One jump must be an Axel type takeoff
o Maximum of 3 jump combinations or sequences, one jump combination may contain 3
jumps
o No jump may be included more than twice, and if a jump is repeated it must be in
combination or sequence
o Maximum of 3 jumps repeated in a program
• Maximum of 3 spins
o One must be a combination spin with at least one change of foot
o One must be a flying spin
o One spin of any nature
• Maximum of 1 step sequence

Now, the things that I've seen: You have to hit all of the requirements; for example, if you have ALL the components, but a GOE of less than -6, you don't pass. If you miss a required element, you get heavily penalized. For example, repeating more than 3 jumps in the program. And, of course, you have that "competitive standard" on things such as spirals, sit spins, and jump landings which are, (not debating right/wrong), often higher than for StarSkate tests; i.e. they really look for that perfect horizontal on the sit spin. The tests are tough.

We work with competitive-stream coach for one kid, and StarSkate coach for other kid. We can really see the difference between the expectations for the two streams, and it is very interesting.

Now, I know you get your score sheet on test day; the best thing to do is to look at it closely (like suggested earlier) and see where you didn't pass. If you missed a required jump, for example, that "box" should be empty. If it's GOE, then, you have to work on the elements that really brought you down.

Now,as to the double salchow thing: you need 3 different doubles, so, if you can do three others than the salchow, that's good to go.

If you're the kind of skater who does better skating in a competition, you could consider trying your test at a competition - ? Just a thought ... some skaters do better then than at a test day.

Hope this helps! Basically, though, I agree that your coach is your first line of resource, and, I'm sure that he/she will suggest someone who will help you out if she can't do a really good job for you ...

Muskoka Skater
01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks Sk8tmum,

That really helped. Here are my marks from my first attempt:

1st Jump Element: Axel, 0
2nd Jump Element: Double flip, -3
3rd Jump Element: Double lutz, double loop, -3
4th Jump Element: Double salchow, -3
5th Jump Element: Axel, Double toe, -3
6th Jump Element: Double loop, -3
7th Jump Element: Sequence, -3
Combination Spin: -1
Flying Spin: -2
Spin of any nature: -1
Steps/Spirals: 0
Sum of GEO scores: -22
Passing Requirement: -6 or higher

Skating Skill*must be 2.50 or higher: 2.0
Transitions/Linking Footwork and Movement: 2.0
Performance/Execution: 1.5
Choreography/Composition: 2.0
Interpretation: 1.5
Sum of component scores: 9.0
Passing Requirement: 12.0

Again I had a horibble skate. On the sheet the judge put down for the 3rd element I did a double toe, but I did a double lutz. Is it normal for a judge to make those mistakes? Maybe she didn't notice yet that I jumped the opposite way. Also i'm going to take my Pre Novice at the next 2 up coming competitions.

CanadianAdult
01-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I sent you a PM.

Muskoka Skater
01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I have one more question do you need a spiral sequence and a foot work or can you just have 1 of them?

sk8guy
01-27-2008, 09:56 PM
do one, not both.

Muskoka Skater
01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks Sk8guy, I'll tell my coach to take out one of them so then I'll have more time to forcus on the other important stuff.