View Full Version : BKWD pivots before FWD Pivots?

littlekateskate
01-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Did anyone here find it easier to do backward pivots before they could do their forward pivots?

My DD isnt able to get full rotation when going forwards but can do so going backwards. She is getting frustrated because she has to pass forwards first. Any ideas :)

kayskate
01-22-2008, 06:29 AM
I tell my students to do a forward pivot by placing 1 toe in the ice then doing a 1-foot swizzle around the toe. This gets them to bend the knees and push. Hope this helps.

Kay

Isk8NYC
01-22-2008, 07:11 AM
I've never TAUGHT a student to do a backward pivot before a forward pivot. *shrugs*

I tell my students to think of the forward pivot as a toepick spin with a lunge position free leg. The toepick has to go straight down into the ice and stay in place by keeping the knee bent over that toe. The skater's chin has to be over the knee.

(CCW) I have them lead with their arms, bringing them from the right side and swing all the way over to the left side. The right arm ends up in front and the left arm to the side in a check position.

If they understand how to use it for the start, the swizzle push is good. Just make sure they bring it from BEHIND and then move the non-pivoting foot into the correct place. I stay away from teaching the start that way initially. I find that newbies "cheat" and pump through the whole maneuver. (The adage "a little is good, a lot must be great" does not apply here. lol) It won't help them pass the test though, pumping is definitely below the test standards in both ISI and USFSA. I assume the same is true in Australia.

Once you've begun the pivot, that skating foot should stay behind your pivot foot. The hip is checked back, knee turned out, and the blade heel of the pivot foot should point to the center of the skating foot. It's a lunge position, with the skating leg BEHIND the pivot foot.

If the skater brings the skating hip/leg to the side, the pivot will turn into a pump festival because they lose all their momentum and drag the pivot to a stop.

Thin-Ice
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
My first coach TRIED to teach me FI pivots.. but when I didn't get the hang of it, she introduced me to BI pivots. When we went back to FIs they were much easier... since she had me kind of do a half revolution on the back, then a half revolution on the front, then do the back again... kind of rocking back and forth between FI and BI. Once I had that feeling for where my skating foot was supposed to be, it was easier to get both of them for a full revolution or more.

Tell you daughter not to get frustrated, she WILL get them.. both directions and on each foot.

jskater49
01-22-2008, 08:07 AM
To this day I'd rather do a backward than forward pivot. I think they are much easier. Kayskates suggestion is the way my coach taught and it helped me. I have trouble keeping my toe pick in

j

Skittl1321
01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I was taught a forward pivot first- but after the coach explained forward I was able to do backward before being able to do forward- even now I find forward pivots ackward, I much prefer the back ones.

I would think it was strange to introduce it first, but not consider it at all strange if your daughter was able to get around on a backward pivot before a forward pivot. To "pass" a pivot we were required to do 2 rotations with only one noticeable push (no continual swizzling, though that is how we were taught as the instructors above have described)

(It is also likely it will favor her rotational direction. My "good" backward and "good" forward pivots are on opposite feet.)

littlekateskate
01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. The coach actually taught her fwd first. But when it comes to practicing she only does bkwd because she can get around it easier. :) When she practices today I will tell her to do a swizzle for momentum, I dont think her coach said that. Its a good trick :)

Skittl1321
01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Make sure she practices the hard stuff too! For every "easy" one- you should do 2 hard ones.

That's one of my bad habits- I only practice stuff I'm good at, because then I feel good about my skating- and then it gets better and the stuff I'm bad at stays put, and I'm still bad at it- and then I feel bad when my coach makes me do it and I haven't improved.

My new rule is for every scratch spin I do, I have to do a sit spin and a backspin. For every waltz jump I have to try a loop or a half-lutz. I hate practicing things I'm bad at! (Of course, I'm off the ice for 5 more weeks, so it's a bit moot for me)

dbny
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
The toepick has to go straight down into the ice and stay in place by keeping the knee bent over that toe. The skater's chin has to be over the knee.

I think this is absolutely key. To that end, I demo being able to pick up the other foot just an inch, and put it back down without coming off the pick. I have my students do that so they can feel where their weight must stay for the pivot. It's much harder to do in skates with recreational blades, and I've had a number of students have to do the swizzle to get started because of that.

littlekateskate
01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Make sure she practices the hard stuff too! For every "easy" one- you should do 2 hard ones.

That's one of my bad habits- I only practice stuff I'm good at, because then I feel good about my skating- and then it gets better and the stuff I'm bad at stays put, and I'm still bad at it- and then I feel bad when my coach makes me do it and I haven't improved.

My new rule is for every scratch spin I do, I have to do a sit spin and a backspin. For every waltz jump I have to try a loop or a half-lutz. I hate practicing things I'm bad at! (Of course, I'm off the ice for 5 more weeks, so it's a bit moot for me)

That is some of the best advice! I think even my 4 year old can abide by that one! We will just also add for everyone fun thing you do lol you get to do two hard :) hehe