View Full Version : how to stop 2-footing the flip?

peanutskates
01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
help???????

Sessy
01-21-2008, 10:58 AM
If you can do the loop fine, it's probably more psychological than actually not being able to, since you should have the air position more or less right.
Practice the take-off and landing alone. Don't hunch forward, keep checked very well, pick low (don't swing your foot up just before picking), let your skating foot come to the picking foot (don't jump off your skating foot), jump UP, pull arms in (not too hard), take backspin position in the air, then land 1-footed. Without rotating. Repeat like fifty times, then try with rotation.

fsk8r
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I started two footing mine recently and then have just as quickly undone it. But I did notice I've got to consciously think about lifting the free leg higher. That way it hasn't got enough time to get down and hit the ice after I've jumped and is able to pull me out of the jump. Don't quite know how high I'm bringing it (probably not that high) but I'm thinking that I've got to lift it up to my knee and feel ridiculous for having to have the thought, but it's working. I have to now do the same for the lutz to keep the leg out the way.

Sessy
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Which reminds me how the coach got me to stop 2-footing mine (apart from the above described exercise). Practice flip-loop instead of flip. Or at least convince yourself there's a loop supposed to go behind the flip.
Really works for the salchow to stop landing with the free foot already backward too.

kayskate
01-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Do it as a walk-through very slowly. Pick in. Shift your weight. You will be almost stopped by now. Lift the other foot and jump off the toe pick. It only req's a little hop. This is how I learned my flip. Originally I was skating fast into it and had no control. I really needed to slow down and experience each position.

Kay

ibreakhearts66
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
well, i don't know exactly what you are doing, but here are two things that could be causing you to two foot the jump. one, are you picking straight behind you or off to the side? if you are picking too wide, then it would be hard to get your feet crossed, so you two foot it. think about keeping the jump straight, from the 3-turn all the way to the landing. also, what are your arms doing? i know when i two-foot my 2flip it is usually because i pulled my arms too far around. when you swing your arms, you tend to rotate over your left side (for ccw jumpers). then, it is almost impossible to get it one foot.

flo
01-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Land one foot or fall. You'll be on one foot shortly.

peanutskates
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
hah, flo, I like that idea..

everyone else thanks also. will try next time!

flo
01-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi,
It may not be the most comfortable, but that's what my coach tells me for doubles.
(wear pads)

SynchroSk8r114
01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi,
It may not be the most comfortable, but that's what my coach tells me for doubles.
(wear pads)

Same here! I'm actually not alllowed to two-foot any jumps. It's commit and fall for me, LOL! Believe it or not, it's helped although my butt doesn't always like that approach... :halo: