View Full Version : How many of you use Bunga Pads?

chowskates
01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Just wondering, who here uses Bunga Pads, what kind do you use and how is it working for you?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chow

Skittl1321
01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I thought Bunga's were too expensive so I currently use Silipos ankle sleeves. After I stopped wearing tights my boots cut deeply into my ankles - the gel pad has completely stopped that and I couldn't live without them.

Lots of people said only Bungas would work and the other brands weren't as good quality- but I've had them for over a year, and wear them everytime I skate- and they are in great shape. I would highly recommend them.

TreSk8sAZ
01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
I used to wear them. They worked well, the only problem I had with them was the fact I was in custom boots. Because the boots weren't measured for with me wearing a bunga pad (or silipos, I've worn both) my heel didn't fit well in the heel lock. Other than that, I went through a pair every 6 months but my ankles were never cut or had lace bite. The other negative was the fact the gel made my ankles sweat, and caused a line in the tights because of it. I don't wear them in my new skates for those two reasons.

Kim to the Max
01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
When I started skating again, I got myself a pair of bunga pads because I realized that I had no calluses left after not skating for so long. I am thinking about slowly trying to not use them again, but for now, they help me not have huge sores from the boot rubbing....

Clarice
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I've used both Bungas and Silipos, and while both do the job, I like the quality of the Bungas a little better. I used to be a Bunga poster girl - I wore ankle sleeves, gel pads on my ankle bones and on top of my foot for lace bite, toe protectors on my 4th toes, and achilles heel pads. All at once. Then I changed boot companies and now only wear ankle sleeves, but that's not because of pain. The boots I wear now seem a bit bigger around the ankles and I use the Bungas to fill up the space. Good product - I would have spent years bleeding without them.

mikawendy
01-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I thought Bunga's were too expensive so I currently use Silipos ankle sleeves. After I stopped wearing tights my boots cut deeply into my ankles - the gel pad has completely stopped that and I couldn't live without them.

Lots of people said only Bungas would work and the other brands weren't as good quality- but I've had them for over a year, and wear them everytime I skate- and they are in great shape. I would highly recommend them.

I have the same experience--I use Silipos ankle sleeves and they're great. One pair lasts me about 1.5-2 years before they start getting thin spots.

teresa
01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
me =-) I also like Bunga pads better than Slippo. Probably couldn't skate without mine.

teresa

kander
01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
I couldn't skate without 'em.

doubletoe
01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Cannot live without them. I usually buy the Silipos ankle sleeves because they are cheaper than the Bungas.

Sessy
01-21-2008, 03:59 AM
I got the 2,5 inch disks but they weren't helping enough so... Now i use the gel cushions out of gel saddles for bicycles, which work better (but also break down very fast).

I have weird ankles, with double ankle bones (I actually know the cause too, as a kid I kept bumping the same spots on the bicycle, just below the ankle bones - and mom had the same thing. So I got bone growths there and so did she.) so it doesn't really matter what kind of brand I use, that's always gonna be a problem - it's even a problem in soft skates, let alone hard ones.
I'm actually still looking for something better for that, because even the saddles don't give the desired effect, I can only skate for about an hour at a time. I skate more, they inflame and start growing. That really, really sucks, especially if I wanna do summer camps at some point, which I do, or if I join an other club (most clubs seem to go for 2 hours once a week instead of one hour twice a week like ours).

Scarlett
01-21-2008, 07:10 AM
I cannot function without without the silipos ankle sleeves. Without them, my boots turn from comfy footwear to torture devices.

Sessy
01-21-2008, 07:24 AM
speaking of which, does anybody know european websites where they can be ordered? not using the creditcard (paypal is fine).
I wanna buy some as a present for mom (who will stubbornly continue to suffer rather than spend 50 euro).

double3s
01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm another slipos gel sleeves fan. Without them I can't bend my knees *at all* without the boots making me bleed. Mine have lasted nearly 2 years, in 3 different pairs of boots; I just ordered another pair last night, in fact.

NickiT
01-21-2008, 07:47 AM
I do! I couldn't skate without my bungas. I just use one of the oval ankle pads which I place over the screws that were used to fix my broken ankle because they are quite prominent and need protection inside my skate. I also have the ankle sleeves but rarely need them - just when I've been off the ice for a while and getting back on hurts my ankles.

Nicki

chowskates
01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I'll also consider looking into Silipos. ;)

ibreakhearts66
01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
i love my bunga pads. i use the regular ankle sleeve on my left and i use the boot bumper (http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/ses_/details.cfm,list,x,9,0,BB,x,x,x/Foot%2FToe%20Protection/Bunga%20Boot%20Bumper/) (combo of their lace bite pad and achilles pad) on my right. i can go without my left one sometimes, but i need my right. they're more important now that i skate barefoot. i have calluses (not bad ones) along the front of my ankles from when i didnt wear them.

i also used to wear the oval gel pads (http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/ses_/details.cfm,list,x,15,0,OP,x,x,x/All%20Purpose%20Body%20Protection/Bunga%20Oval%20Gel%20Pad/). i would cut them in half so that i could wear one on both my inner and outer ankle bones (and not pay for two pairs!). however, i kind of left them in the car once and they melted :oops: but its ok, i dont need them in my new skates anyways. they have good padding on the ankles

never tried slippos or the other brands. the pro shop i usually go to only carries bunga.

Isk8NYC
01-22-2008, 06:58 AM
I've never used Bunga or Silipo pads. They didn't exist when I needed them for my Riedells, and my Klingbeils are fine. My "spare" skates hurt my ankle/calf because they're a bit broken down.

Any suggestions for reasonably-priced places to buy from?

mandypants
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I do for both ankles (I use the sleeves) and one for a toe/bunion area where i have a special handmade one. I can't imagine skating without them!

patatty
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I wear Bunga ankle sleeves every time I skate. If I ever forget, the pain from the rubbing around my ankles makes me remember really quick! They didn't have these when I skated as a kid, and I have permanent scars from my old skates.

herniated
01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I wear the Bunga pads too every time I skate. :D I also get the 'sweat' line around the top of the boot when wearing tights. But.. I don't care. I'd rather the sweat line than bleeding feet!!

sue123
01-22-2008, 10:02 PM
I wear an ankle sleeve on my right ankle. For some reason, the bones on that foot just stick out more and they're more tender, so the Bunga pads help a lot with that.