View Full Version : Coaches: Is this a reasonable request?

Virtualsk8r
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Okay coaches......I need some feedback.

Should a parent expect a coach to 'drop them an email' after each lesson indicating what instructions the coach gave their child? In other words, when the skater is told by the coach to sharpen their skates, do a few more off ice stretches etc., ask the parent something etc. (nothing earthshattering), make sure they get to the rink on time, etc...

The parents are drop and drive - and the skater is not a baby. Let's just say the instructions are not difficult, and even 7 year olds remember to tell their parents. BTW - anything really important is alwalys relayed in person or by email anyway.

Any coach out there got so much time on their hands that they sit in front of the computer after a day at the rink and email every parent, because that parent is too busy or forgetful to ask their child 'is there anything I need to know?"

kayskate
01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
I have never done this. Usually I talk to the parent after the lesson. However, if you are booked for the whole session, you cannot do this unless the parent is still there after the session. It seems the parent may have gotten this idea about the email from school. Many parents will ask a teacher to send an email especially if the kid has problems in class w finishing homework, etc. Some parents just demand of a teacher's time. This would easily transfer to skating teachers. IMO, the parent should take the time to do more than "drop & drive" esp if the coach has time to talk at the rink.

Kay

Virtualsk8r
01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks! These same parents expect me to email instructions to BOTH parents - and cc the other when I have a conversation with one parent. Plus they expect me to tell them when something I say is important.....
BTW they are married and live in the same house... They give the excuse that the child is a forgetful teen.....

Any advice on how to deal with this.....I've told them that I will only give instructions to one person - and that they should consider everything I tell them to be worthy of listening to (I don't talk just to hear myself and am too busy to be bothered 'chatting').

No other skater or parent seems to have trouble with instructions I give the skater -- just this family --- and they've been around the rink for about 10 years.

ice_godess
01-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Wow - my coaches expect me to be responsible for my own skating and would never agree to 'email or phone parents to tell them my skates need sharpening, or I should be doing more ice or need to do off ice. That's my job as an athlete.

I think the problem these days is that coaches don't get the same respect they did years ago. My coach is somewhat old school, and expects us to do what is asked. Many parents these days no longer consider anyone to be an expert where their children are concerned and will question everyone, regardless of the task or expertise required.

If the coach is qualified and doing a good job with the skater on the ice, and the skater is thriving - shouldn't the parents be more interested in seeing what THEY can do to keep the relationship healthy?

PS My coach can barely read emails let alone send one lol and any parent who causes him too much grief eventually ends up with a new coach. He says its not worth the emotional time and effort to babysit parents, no matter how great the skater is.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I've never had to do this. I HAVE done it when there were special situations, such as off-schedule lessons, test/comp news, etc., but never for a routine lesson.

Does this child have a training notebook? If not, give her one from a dollar store. At the end of the lesson, tell her what you want to tell her and have her write it down. She should deliver the info to the parents if they can't come in to discuss it with you. That's part of coaching - teaching her responsibility and follow-through.

Don't agree unless you're willing to do the extra work. You could charge them an extra five minutes for "off-ice consulting!"
rofl

BTW, emailing more than one of them is easy - just add them both to your address book and then make a distribution list with their ID's. You just send the email to the distribution list name. However, there are a lot of coaches who are NOT that adept at the computer. Plead tech-phobia or too little time.

Virtualsk8r
01-19-2008, 07:23 PM
I know that emailing both parents is easy - it's the principle that annoys me. I've dealt with messy divorced parents who communicate better than this.

Yes - the skater has been given a notebook, and told to get a notebook a number of times, but never follows through. The same thing with the skating log that is supposed to be followed each day regarding jumps to work on, off ice details etc which the parent wanted and took a bit of time for me to create ( I have a master YPI but they couldnt understand that). Kid left the chart in the skate bag or locker after the first day.

BTW - It's not just me - another coach asked the skater to be in an ice show and the kid 'forgot' to mention it to his parents until the week of the show. But then, that was my fault for not telling them (lol)

Also - this skater gets more time than the parents pay for because we've been preparing for a big competition so I am a little annoyed at being the one who seems to be doing all the giving....

Is it a full moon yet????

CanadianAdult
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I have a teenage son. It's in one ear and out the other. So maybe the person to address is the skater, especially if it's been a long term relationship.

Stick with the notebook. Basically it's this, you choose the notebook as the best means of communication, the lesson doesn't happen unless the skater has their notebook, music CD, water bottle, etc etc. If they have to go get the notebook that's on the clock. If they take 15 minutes to get their notebook or music and that was their lesson time, too bad.

Tell the parent that the notebook is the primary means of communication and it is their responsibility to make sure that it is in Johnny's skating bag, right beside his music CD's.

That's my kids coach rule and it's my own coach rule too. I forget music ;)

Virtualsk8r
01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
:P Funny you should mention the water bottle. I've had to buy this skater water on a couple of occasions because the poor kid was clearly dehydrated on the ice , and supply them with granola bars because the kid hadn't anything to drink since milk at breakfast and a bit of milk at lunch. The water bottle does appear almost regularly now. The other day I suggested that the skater bring a 12-pack of cheap drinking box juice to leave in the skating locker so that when the child felt in need of sugar boost - it would be there (instead of me buying the gatorade or water ).

PS - $ is not the issue, according to the father as they both have good jobs ....I think it is more a time management issue.

fsk8r
01-20-2008, 05:40 AM
I was having a clear out of my old school books the other week and came across my "homework diary". The concept was that the student wrote homework in it to keept track of what they're doing, parents signed off that it was done and the form teacher signed to say that they'd seen the book and the signature. It was the primary means of communicating between parents and school. So if they were worried about something they could send a message to teacher that way, and equally teacher could send message back. I had one in a similar fashion for my music lessons, as the teacher had back to back lessons. Sounds like you need some similar system with the parents. Maybe you need to write in the notebook during the lesson and not the student?
Sounds most unfair of the parents expecting you to do the communicating for them. If they can't a) talk to each other and b) talk to their child, how on earth do they ever manage to remind each other to buy the milk let alone cook the dinner?

kayskate
01-20-2008, 06:16 AM
No other skater or parent seems to have trouble with instructions I give the skater -- just this family --- and they've been around the rink for about 10 years.

Have they been involved w lessons for 10 yrs? How have other coaches coped w this? Or is this something new? HW diaries are used in schools. The teacher signs it at the end of class. Suggest this to the parent, not just the kid. I agree w pleading lack of time. And stop giving extra time that is not paid. Even if the kid is preparing for comp, so should be paid for your time. Whatever you do, don't start calling the parents. We have to do this in school, but you can literally spend hrs on the phone w parents and you will not be paid. I like the idea of a consultation fee if you must email.

Kay

littlekateskate
01-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Why dont you try a notebook in the bag. And the coach can throw a few things down and you can read it. Now, if i was a coach i would kind of like this. I would write a few things down and maybe even ask the parents to initial that they read it. Just so we all know what is going on and are on the same page. And the parent is the one paying for the lessons. I do think a parents involvement is important in a childs success. There has to be some work done at home as well. :) Now if the kids are like 16 its a bit different. But even a 10 year old is going to forget things.

I would love for this but I can completely understand why a coach wouldnt want to email every parent at the end of the day.

I however am there for my dd lessons and watch the whole things since she is only 4 she needs to see mommy to feel comfortable. And if there was a bad fall at her age i would feel horrible guilty to not be there. I love when the coach can keep her on the ice and she doesnt need me (and i try to hide) but hey she is four.

But really I think its a lot to ask of the coach. If the skater is big enough to leave alone on the ice then try a notebook or something. An email after every lesson ever kid is ALOT.

Occasionaly you could email the coach and ask her. Then she wouldnt have to think of it. I have done this. Just emailed and say hey what can my dd do at home to help. I wouldnt do it after every lesson but a couple times a month wouldnt hurt.

Isk8NYC
01-20-2008, 08:19 AM
If you are going to do an apres-lesson email, get a digital recorder and just record what you tell the kid at the end of the lesson. Then email the ninny parents the audio file.

Oh, even better - just use your cell phone to dial their home voice mail and record the convo with the skater.

techskater
01-20-2008, 08:21 AM
My coach has supplemental work she does after coaching. She gets to emails once every couple months! You could plead lack of time.

To me, the skater and parents are BOTH irresponsible. My parents put the money for skating and lessons in a joint account with me and I had to write the checks as a method of learning responsibility. (I still pay my own way as an adult). I can tell you when you are paying for it, you are more responsible. Make that suggestion to the parents that SHE pay the bill (even if they give her the money).

jskater49
01-20-2008, 08:46 AM
I think that's ridiculis. Dd's coach will tell me (after the lesson because I'm around) if she needs her skates sharpened because though she is 17, she won't remember to tell me but because coach's husband does the sharpening, it goes like this "make sure she leaves her skates here and I will take them home for dh to sharpen"

j

sk8tegirl06
01-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I second the idea of her paying the bill. I can tell you from personal experience as a young adult (19-20yrs old) when you have to pay the bill you become so much more responsible and I think it will change the attitude/responsibility level. Skating is an expensive sport, I don't waste a second of my lessons. Though if the parents have such good jobs it may not make a difference to her. The idea of emailing/calling the parents of a teenager to tell them what needs to happen is ridiculous, in some cases it may go in one ear and out the other, but if they don't learn to take responsibility for their actions now when will they learn?

Virtualsk8r
01-20-2008, 09:20 AM
:lol: If you are going to do an apres-lesson email, get a digital recorder and just record what you tell the kid at the end of the lesson. Then email the ninny parents the audio file.

Oh, even better - just use your cell phone to dial their home voice mail and record the convo with the skater.

Thanks for the support and suggestions! I was beginning to think it was just me....although I've only had one other parent that was this bad and I told them to find another coach finally!

Have you ever met someone that you can't seem to have a conversation with..the type where every time you come away shaking your head because the person never heard a word of what you were saying no matter how many ways you worded the message....that's these parents. (I have no idea how the father functions in senior management)

flippet
01-20-2008, 09:50 AM
BTW they are married and live in the same house... They give the excuse that the child is a forgetful teen.....

Here's your problem. The child isn't a 'forgetful teen'. She's only learning what she's being taught---which is that everything is *someone else's* responsibility. The parents can't even take responsibility to tell *each other* important information, for pete's sake!

Put your foot down. Do NOT buy that child drinks or snacks--the parents are totally taking advantage of you. If you do it once, they'll figure they don't have to, because you will.

Suggest the notebook, which is a good idea, but stress that it's the CHILD'S responsibility to write things down, and if she doesn't, that's not your fault. It's not your responsibility to write a single thing in that book--not a note, not a signature. When the parents come to complain, you just say 'I gave her the information, is it in the book?' "nooo..." 'Gee, that's too bad. Sorry, can't help you!'

If you do decide to email them any kind of information, be sure you bill them for your time. You could even bill at a higher 'consultation' rate, because you have to take that time out of your personal time. Believe me...once they are forced to pay extra a time or two, they'll stop asking.

Some people don't think they should have to grow up. Don't cave to them.

Sessy
01-20-2008, 11:45 AM
My piano teacher once wrote down the notes on my skin when I forgot a notebook and made sure to press down *hard* on the pen... You can be sure I remembered to bring it after that.

The kid is a teenager, are you telling me it is incapable of walking to the next convenience store and getting some sort of notebook there?

Virtualsk8r
01-20-2008, 11:52 AM
You've summed it up correctly! The parents don't want to take ownership or responsibility unless they feel like it or it is their idea. I am finding a lot of parents are downloading their jobs on to other people lately.

My spouse has listened to me whine and says I am getting too worked up about their demands .."isn't it just easier to email them and keep them happy" is his reply.

I feel as if I have to document everything I say and do with this family, just to prove I didn't screw up. The notebook would download responsibiliy to the skater, I agree, but if the skater doesn't carry through, I feel the parents would still expect me to email them, etc.

BTW When I suggested the skater pick up a later session until the competition because the skater was arriving at the rink 1/2 to 45 minutes late, and therefore missing ice - the father insisted the child HAD been doing the extra session all week (tone of voice was that I was lying)...until I pointed out that the night before I was TALKING to the parent and child off the ice during that session (and the kid was in jeans).

But they want the child to be a national champion!!!

I give up!

PS Sessy: I have given this skater notebooks over the years - child has been a learn-to-skate and private student of mine for about 8 years)
I have told them to keep a nutrition notebook, given out USFSA training logs, off ice stretching infor etc. (great stuff on the USFSA website) etc.....and nothing is ever done. Father said he was a national athlete of some kind and I figured he would follow through.....

LW*
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Suggest the notebook, which is a good idea, but stress that it's the CHILD'S responsibility to write things down, and if she doesn't, that's not your fault. It's not your responsibility to write a single thing in that book--not a note, not a signature. When the parents come to complain, you just say 'I gave her the information, is it in the book?' "nooo..." 'Gee, that's too bad. Sorry, can't help you!'

If they want you to write in the book for the kid, then tell them that's fine and you'll do it in the kids lesson. After all, they're paying for that time so they're entitled to some say in how it gets used. Sure, it'll mean losing a few minutes of skating time, but hey, if that's what they want... ;) However, they are not paying for your time to email them later so unless they're willing to be billed for the time it takes you, in my opinion they have no right to ask you to do it.

fsk8r
01-20-2008, 02:53 PM

I give up!

PS Sessy: I have given this skater notebooks over the years - child has been a learn-to-skate and private student of mine for about 8 years)
I have told them to keep a nutrition notebook, given out USFSA training logs, off ice stretching infor etc. (great stuff on the USFSA website) etc.....and nothing is ever done. Father said he was a national athlete of some kind and I figured he would follow through.....

Maybe you need to spell it out to them that the kid ain't going to be any sort of champion unless the whole family (parents and skater) start taking responsibility for the child's skating. As for dad being senior management - lots of people manage to get promoted out of harm's way. It's generally the only way of getting rid of some people. I must admit though, that I agree with the attitude that the teenager should take more responsibility for her own life. If she's going skating then she should bring her own snacks, drinks and notebooks. What's her allowance for otherwise?

Virtualsk8r
01-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Rmember how this started? Talked to skater about something during lesson - parent called that night wanting me to tell them rather than the skater ------ NOW the MOTHER has emailed me quoting the conversation with the father and asking me the same stupid thing!!!!

How can I politely cut this thing off? I don't mind quick emails to clarify things or cancel lessons etc......but after both the skater and the father have talked to me,,,,the mother sends an email?

BTW she cc'd the husband! I didn't.

littlekateskate
01-21-2008, 06:56 AM
I would just be honest with the parents. And why dont you say hey, the emails are starting to really consume alot of extra time and stress for me. And offer the email as an extra. but charge them a flat fee per month for the emails.

In most cases emails only take a few minutes a day (i understand per kid it would add up). But just say it will be a monthly fee for them. Maybe the cost of one private lesson. Say i.e. 30.00-45.00 a month. And bill them for it at the beginning of each month.

As much as it sucks and this will probably be taken horribly rude. But they are paying you and if that is what they really want from you then that is what you should give them. And if you dont want to then drop them. Heck I would email them once a day for 30-45.00 extra a month lol. Or charge them monthly to write things in the note book. If you spend 2 extra minutes at the end of the lesson writing stuff in the notebook. Add it to the lesson time. What harm is in that. Yeah the child is learning no resposibility but unfortunetly the parents arent concerened about that.

I am the type of parent who wants to know what is going on with my dd skating. Now, i ask or talk to my coach while she is in her lesson. And I know its possibly taken time away from her but at least i know what she needs to be doing. Or the coach skates over to me and says hey she needs to wear weights while doing this and dd is warming up or such and such.. But if it were off ice I wouldnt feel cheated if she asked me to pay for it.

Sessy
01-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Wow, the parents are stupid. You're so patient, I think a lot of people would've already told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine...

Kim to the Max
01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
As you said, this appears to be a communication issue with the family itself. One suggestion might be at some point in the near future (given the latest e-mail from the mother with the father CC'ed) would be to ask them ALL to come in for a meeting, maybe after the skater's lesson. Be honest and tell them that their skater needs to take responsibility for their skating and you will assist by giving them information to write in a notebook which can be shared with the parents, and then if they have specific clarifying questions, they can e-mail you, but that you will not be able to e-mail them after every lesson. I think that getting them together and saying all of it once, would be a good thing given that they appear to need to hear everything for themselves.

CanAmSk8ter
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow. I had a family that was sort of dysfunctional like this, but not nearly this bad- plus, their kid was only seven. What this family is asking of you is definitely unreasonable, especially since the skater is not young.

What if you wrote up a contract that all your skaters and their parents had to sign? The parents could have to agree to have their skater at the rink on time, having eaten, with a water bottle, and to call you if they're running late. Skaters would agree to be on the ice on time with their notebook, music, sweater, etc. You could stipulate something like after forgetting the notebook x number of times, not having it would mean forfeiting that lesson. You could also add that you're willing to send email updates every other week or once a month to families who want them. (Obviously, you could be a bit more lenient with families you feel deserve it and will be discreet).

Definitely don't give this skater any time that's not being paid for- the picture I get of these parents is that they'll come to expect it, if they haven't already. Also, I don't know what the billing procedure is at your rink, but if you buy her drinks or snacks, make it clear you expect the parents to repay you.

Or you could try pinning notes to the kid's jacket like kindergarten teachers sometimes do.:twisted:

hepcat
01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
You must be so frustrated. That would be completely unacceptable to me if I were a coach.

My daughter is 7 and this is how we handle it: she has a notebook that does NOT leave her skating bag. If we're at the rink for practice, it's there so she can review what she's supposed to practice. If she skates out to her lesson without it, her coach makes her go back and get it and it's my daughter's problem that she misses a couple of minutes. She's only 7 and she understands this.

Your student is older and there are more complications, but it doesn't have to be any more complicated than some sort of permanent notebook that stays in the skating bag. The parents can get off their hinders and read the book for whatever your latest specific directions are.

I agree with the poster who says it shows a lack of respect. I've run into parents who seem to feel like if you pay a coach you can treat them like a hired servant or something. You've been really accomodating.

If you want to keep up the emails, I agree you should charge an extra fee, then live with it. If it were me, I would sit down and write up something to the parents that you're only going to do one form of communication. Whether that be a weekly email or a notebook doesn't really matter. It seems like whatever you're doing they're going to find it falls short (which is why I wouldn't go with the charge-a-fee option, because people who think like this will only think this buys them more demands from you).

flippet
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Of course. Because the child deserves it.

Not because she's earned it, or worked for it, or anything. :giveup:

slusher
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
WOr you could try pinning notes to the kid's jacket like kindergarten teachers sometimes do.:twisted:

This is just priceless :P :P :P :P :P :P

I get the feeling that the parents will never change. You could start to charge for it, and as disorganized parents they would probably pay for that babysitting because the easiest thing is to hand over money, but would you resent being the responsible person? Or you can set your foot down now, which, is what I feel the situation needs. There's been lots of reasonable suggestions, and maybe, as a kind suggestion you could practice on us here at SkatingForums saying "no sorry, that's not possible" (hug)

Virtualsk8r
01-21-2008, 06:54 PM
;) ;) :bow:

Thanks for the support everyone. At least I know its not me! Today I gave the child the regular lesson time - and about 5 minutes extra. Skater was suprised I didn't give more on the second session......(and the child got on the ice 7 minutes late - again! and I was already teaching a student who showed up early).

Child seemed in a bit of a mood. The parents have obviously been discussing things (lol - now they talk to each other). Didn't seem like the right time to discuss a notebook. Will do that tomorrw.

Thanks again for listening! Updates when available:giveup:

Isk8NYC
01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Or you could try pinning notes to the kid's jacket like kindergarten teachers sometimes do.:twisted:I've used post-it notes stuck to their shirts inside the jackets. They're usually found before laundry day. (Only for quickie things like "sharpen skates" "No lesson next week." Stuff kids would forget.)

isakswings
01-31-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm not a coach, but I am a parent of a skater. Anyway... that seems like a bit much IMO and honestly if this student is a teen, she should be responsible enough to tell her parents those things!! I have younger skaters(my dd is 9 and ds is 7) and I don't expect those things from their coaches. I HAVE gone and asked their coaches questions, BUT never have I expected them to e-mail me details. Good grief. I could see myself asking my daughter's private coach for specifics, but I would write MYSELF notes, if I felt it necessary. I would not expect her to do so. My kids remind me often if they need their skates sharpened or if their coaches have told them to do something. If your student is forgetful, then her parents should call you OR insist that their child bring a notebook with her, so she can write down your requests and suggestions! A teen should certainly be responsible enough to do that.

Personally, I like to watch my children during their lessons. I can't imagine that changing anytime soon. There is one girl who comes for lessons and her mother just drops her off and picks her up afterwards. This little girl is 9! I can see doing it once in awhile when your kids are older, but this little girl is ALWAYS alone... even for public sessions. :-(

isakswings
01-31-2008, 05:18 AM
My goodness... WHY are you providing snacks and drinks for him? Why don't his parents send some with him? I've put snacks and drinks in my kids bags and they are usually only on the ice for an hour at a time! I guess I don't get why the parents aren't providing those things for him. Oh and my daughter and son keep all of their skating stuff in their skating bags so we always know where things are. When it is time for my daughter to have music for her 1st competition in June, I will keep the CD in there too(then I won't forget it!). WOW... I can't imagine being THAT forgetful(and I can be pretty forgetful at times)!

Query
01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Even as a student, I agree with the others - your time is money and must be paid for, especially if this is a regular thing.

I often take notes at lessons. Coaches tease me about it, but it helps me remember.

The kid can wear a light voice activated recorder like a necklace. If they can pay for lessons, the parents can afford the recorder, and complain to the student if she doesn't bring it. That way you are out of the dispute.

Why can't a kid come in Jeans?

Skittl1321
01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Why can't a kid come in Jeans?

To me a skater beyond LTS (or even in the last few levels) who comes in jeans is not ready to skate. The body can't move, the coach can't see the line- jeans are not skating clothes. (And I know elite skaters have performed in them, but once you are at that level you get to break the rules).

I don't think my coach would give me a lesson if I showed up in jeans.

(Full disclosure: I have skated in jeans before. Once or twice I'd go to the mall for shopping, notice NO ONE on the ice, and just run to the car and grab my bag for 30 minutes of empty ice- the ice is mine! who cares what I am wearing! I didn't jump though- jeans are incredibly uncomfortable when wet, and I wasn't going to deal with falling. Which is why our rink asks that even LTS kids don't wear them. You get cold, cranky kids.)

doubletoe
01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
You are paid by the hour (or minute). So as to keep your coaching time within the time allotment, maybe you can spend the last 5 minutes of your paid lesson time having your student write down everything you told her in a notebook instead of adding on an extra 5 minutes that you aren't being paid for. If the kid can't remember to bring one, it's probably a decent $1.00 investment to give her one, along with a pen or pencil. But after that, she's on her own. If she doesn't bring it, you can just tell the parents you will be reiterating what was taught in the lesson in the last 5 minutes of the lesson and whoever wants to hear it and take notes is welcome to do so. That way, nothing is adding to your coaching time and it reinforces in the student's mind what she just learned in her lesson. It's up to the parents to look at the notebook (and if the kid can't bring a notebook or remember what she was taught, her skating lessons are the least of her worries!). If they want you to spend time outside of the lesson time helping their kid but they don't want to pay extra, tell them you can cut the actual lesson down by 5 minutes and e-mail the instructions instead of reiterating them at the end of the lesson.

hepcat
01-31-2008, 03:01 PM
My daughter's coach makes her do laps if she forgets her notebook. It happened recently (and ironically, it was my fault because I had taken it out to look at something and carelessly left it on the table). Now she checks before we leave the house that it's in her skating bag. So as to keep your coaching time within the time allotment, maybe you can spend the last 5 minutes of your paid lesson time having your student write down everything you told her in a notebook instead of adding on an extra 5 minutes that you aren't being paid for.Exactly, it's entirely appropriate to do this within your paid time - and it keeps everything clear as a bell between you and your skater (and by extension, the parents).

fsk8r
01-31-2008, 03:34 PM
;) ;) :bow:

Thanks for the support everyone. At least I know its not me! Today I gave the child the regular lesson time - and about 5 minutes extra. Skater was suprised I didn't give more on the second session......(and the child got on the ice 7 minutes late - again! and I was already teaching a student who showed up early).

Child seemed in a bit of a mood. The parents have obviously been discussing things (lol - now they talk to each other). Didn't seem like the right time to discuss a notebook. Will do that tomorrw.

Thanks again for listening! Updates when available:giveup:

You should try getting your pupils in back to back slots. You won't be tempted then to give any freebies to any of them, as the next skater should be there waiting. If you want to do freebies it's when the next skater is late. All the coaches at my rink are booked solid on the popular after school / Saturday morning sessions, and so they have to run the pupils back to back, so there is no possible time to reiterate what needs to be practiced. If you want that, you have to book extra. Seems a lot fairer that way and hopefully easier for you (at least you'll get home earlier for the same amount of money!).

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
You should try getting your pupils in back to back slots. You won't be tempted then to give any freebies to any of them, as the next skater should be there waiting. If you want to do freebies it's when the next skater is late. All the coaches at my rink are booked solid on the popular after school / Saturday morning sessions, and so they have to run the pupils back to back, so there is no possible time to reiterate what needs to be practiced. If you want that, you have to book extra. Seems a lot fairer that way and hopefully easier for you (at least you'll get home earlier for the same amount of money!).
My coach hates back-to-back sessions for this very reason - there isn't time to breathe between lessons! Even if he were to use the last few minutes of each lesson to speak to the parents - which he does - he still has no time to get himself a drink or get rid of one! He is booked solid on Saturday and Sunday mornings and, I think, the after-school sessions, but he would far rather have a gap between sessions.

fsk8r
02-03-2008, 11:15 AM
My coach hates back-to-back sessions for this very reason - there isn't time to breathe between lessons! Even if he were to use the last few minutes of each lesson to speak to the parents - which he does - he still has no time to get himself a drink or get rid of one! He is booked solid on Saturday and Sunday mornings and, I think, the after-school sessions, but he would far rather have a gap between sessions.

Our coaches, generally hold 15 mins of a session free so they've got time to get the odd drink, breathe, sit down, pop to loo etc. With dancing on ice that 15mins is now being taken. But they've all got the parents well trained to go get them their coffees.
I can see why coaches want breaks from coaching (hey we all like breaks from work) but I think if you've got a difficult family, it might be a way of training them into respecting that they've only paid for a set amount of time and they shouldn't be expecting extra. It's just the same as any other employer, if I work extra I expect to be paid the overtime unless it's my fault that I'm working the extra hours.

jskater49
02-03-2008, 12:31 PM
My daughter's coach makes her do laps if she forgets her notebook. It happened recently (and ironically, it was my fault because I had taken it out to look at something and carelessly left it on the table). Now she checks before we leave the house that it's in her skating bag. Exactly, it's entirely appropriate to do this within your paid time - and it keeps everything clear as a bell between you and your skater (and by extension, the parents).

I'd drop a coach that did that. What I like about our coach is that she asked my daughter if it would be helpful for her to have a notebook and if she had a notebook would she remember to bring it. DD said, no she would not remember it and no it would not be helpful and coach said "Okay then we won't waste time with that" I appreciate a coach who realizes one size does not fit all and this is not the freaking army.

j

Virtualsk8r
02-03-2008, 05:55 PM

This particular skater is scheduled on a session that few of my skaters can arrive in time for. This skater gets out of school an hour prior to the session start - lots of time to get there on time, but never does. My other skaters arrive early a couple of times a week, but normally skate on later sessions, where I do have back-to-back lessons.

Since I have to show up early for this particular skater, I tend to use my time coaching rather than sitting in the coaches room waiting for the next session. However, I've been standing on the ice waiting for too long lately, as the problem skater shows up later and later every day.

Things will change now - thanks for all the advice! We have made it through the big competition that I've been working towards - and now a new training year begins.