View Full Version : Getting Grease Out Of Lycra

Ice Dancer
01-19-2008, 07:48 AM
In a rush to get to the rink yesterday before the shop shut, I managed to spill melted butter down my lycra practice skirt! I wiped it with water straight away and have since washed it, but the mark is still there!

Has anyone got any tips for getting it out? I don't know what you can and can't use on lycra. At least it wasn't the velvet one I suppose :roll:

herniated
01-19-2008, 08:02 AM
If it is machine washable, I'd put laundry detergent right on the stain and let it sit for awhile then throw it in the wash and let it air dry. That's what I'd do. I hate that when that happens.

Once I spilled red gatorade on the front of my lycra competition dress! 8O Yup, right before I took the ice. Nice. It did come out in the wash.

skaternum
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Try Dawn dishwasing liquid. Lots of it!

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 10:55 AM
But wash it out after you've rubbed it in, don't let it just sit there. I've had it cause bleach spots on clothes.
It's my last-chance before the trash solution, too!

BuggieMom
01-19-2008, 11:09 PM

I agree..although any dish washing soap seems to work on greasy stains, even ones that are old. A dot of dish soap on the stain, throw it in the wash, and it is gone.
Once I spilled red gatorade on the front of my lycra competition dress! Yup, right before I took the ice. Nice.
Thats why our coach says once the competition dress is on, it is water and fruit snacks only!

SkatingOnClouds
01-20-2008, 01:29 AM
I would've thought any of the pre-wash stain remover sprays would do it?
We have Preen here in Oz.
I'm still wondering what might get super glue off lycra:roll: It's for my competition/test dress from 1984, and it still has a glue spot where I tried to add a sequin & squirted a drop of glue accidentally, right in the front.
(And yes I do keep my skating costumes that long)

BuggieMom
01-20-2008, 06:40 AM
I am sure the pre wash stuff would work. The dish soap trick works so well that I have never bothered using anything else for greasy stuff.

As for super glue, you might be stuck with that (pun intended :P) The solvents that would remove super glue, like polish remover and acetone, are not lycra friendly. At the very least it would mess up your color, at the worst destroy the fabric.

Whenever I have a mishap like that on a dress...well, that just becomes the perfect spot for another rhinestone!

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Thats why our coach says once the competition dress is on, it is water and fruit snacks only!
Yeah, that's our rule as well!

I use a degreaser "Super Clean" and so far (knock wood) it hasn't altered any colors. I get it in the automotive section at wallyworld.

I would NOT throw anything in the dryer without checking that the stain is completely gone...and this can only be done by letting it AIR dry completely.

If you've tried everything and the stain is still there, like someone else suggested, add stones, lace applique or some other embellishment.