View Full Version : help - moving from group to private lessons

kimmee4
01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I need some help or information. DD9 started group lessons a year ago. She really took to the sport and has progressed from basic one to freeskate 6 in a year of only 1 group lesson a week. We have been told that she appears to have natural ability . I suspect she will finish the program soon. We do not have the money for serious private lessons but could probably affort 1 private a week and some practice time. I have some questions about private lessons. Is it possible to have her just do the testing (pre-preliminary, etc. ) and not have her compete? What would be a realistic goal for a child with limited instruction but some natural ability. Should she not even bother with the USFSA official testing? Should we just have her learn and maybe compete once a year in a non- qualifying event? I am trying to sort this all out before approaching a coach so that I am clear as to what we can afford but realistic with our semi recreational goals. I am a bit clueless :oops: but any advice would be appreciated.

Clarice
01-18-2008, 10:47 PM
If she's going to compete in USFSA competitions, she will also have to test eventually. You can do beginner or no-test competitions without passing any tests, but to compete at higher levels you have to have passed the tests for that level first. (Although many club competitions will allow you to compete one level higher than your tested level.)

It is certainly possible for a skater to take tests and never compete. Some skaters like the challenge of passing tests and use them to measure their progress.

When you talk to a coach, just share your questions and concerns with them. Some coaches prefer to work only with competitive skaters and will expect their skaters to compete a lot, but others are perfectly happy working with testers. The main thing is to make sure you and the coach are on the same page as far as expectations are concerned. Good luck to you and your skater!

kayskate
01-19-2008, 05:25 AM
What does your child want? Does she want to compete and/or test? IMO, there are a lot of coaches who do not charge as much as the ones who take kids to higher competitions who are very knowledgeable and great teachers. Such a coach should serve your child well. They can definitely prepare your child for tests and local comps. Look at the USFS test structure on their web site. Your child will start w pre-pre MITF and FS. MITF tests must be take before FS. She can also participate in club/rink shows for performance exp at very low cost. I don't think there is an entry fee, but I have not been very involved in these events, so am not sure. It probably varies anyway.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
A lot will depend on what your child wants to do. Some kids melt under the pressure of testing (does she test well in school?) while others don't. Sometimes it isn't worth the aggravation.

There are two tracks you can take, and options under each. USFSA and ISI. For USFSA you test under a panel of judges. For ISI, a qualified coach can test you (my own coach tests me, similar to "test day" under the learn-to-skate structure).

Each track offers competitions with freestyle, artistic skating, spotlight, interpretive, dance, compulsory moves, etc. although some competitions may not offer everything.

Bottom line: it depends on what your daughter wants to do.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Is it possible to have her just do the testing (pre-preliminary, etc. ) and not have her compete? Yes, there are many skaters who only test.
What would be a realistic goal for a child with limited instruction but some natural ability?
On the standard test track, she could probably get up as high as Pre-Juv or Juvenile over time. She'd need to skate more than once a week, however, to master the higher level skills.
Should she not even bother with the USFSA official testing?
Yes. Speaking from experience, (I was an ISI skater who didn't really test much in USFSA) I can say that I regret not having taken the tests when I skated. It's a measurement of success and personal achievement. If she decides to continue skating as she gets older (as an adult, for example), she would not have to take those tests.

Keeping her involved and testing can qualify her for other cost savings later on. For example, our group lesson helpers start at 13/14 and receive free practice ice in exchange. When they turn 16, they can become asst instructors and actually earn money, too! At some rinks, those positions have test levels associated with them.

There are scholarships (like the ISI's) that can be beneficial once college looms on the horizon. Just planning ahead, I guess, can pay off.
Should we just have her learn and maybe compete once a year in a non- qualifying event?
Yes, because learning and practicing a program develops a different side of the skater. It builds memory, musicality, and performance skills as well as challenging them to perform their elements. Plus, it's fun and gives them a goal to work towards, also an important item for kids to learn.

Did I mention that competitions are inspiring, hectic, challenging, and (most important) fun? Just make sure that everyone (coach, skater, family) are focused on what's important and don't get caught up in the competition too much.

The USFSA introduced a Test Track at competitions to give these skaters a chance to skate against others at the same level by restricting their program elements. They aren't allowed to include elements from higher levels, so it's a more level playing field.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 08:03 AM
When you talk to a coach, just share your questions and concerns with them. Some coaches prefer to work only with competitive skaters and will expect their skaters to compete a lot, but others are perfectly happy working with testers. The main thing is to make sure you and the coach are on the same page as far as expectations are concerned. Good luck to you and your skater!
This is a really good point. I know that some of my students were told that other coaches "didn't have time for lessons" with them when that wasn't the case. Some coaches don't want to deal with the "She has a softball game, so she's skipping her lesson this week." I, on the other hand, want to know the score of the game and how she's making up HER lost skating time since we have a test session in x weeks. lol

Sessy
01-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I know lots of people (like 6) who started skating 10-ish to 18-ish over here in the Netherlands and who take mainly group lessons and some of them some are lucky enough to be able to take privates too, and they learn axels certainly over time, and some doubles too (like, double sal or double toe or double loop)
BUT, they don't get a lot of lessons but they do put in a lot of practice time. Certainly skate thrice a week at the very least. And uhm, their doubles aren't always very reliable. Then again, most clubs operate 6-7 months out of a year so the results would probably be a bit more consistent with permanent training.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't know if they're offered in the OP's area, but a number of rinks offer an "elite" or "bridge" skating program for skaters. It's a group "clinic" lesson approach to learning the lower-level freeskating and moves elements, sometimes they include artistry and music interp lessons. There are four or five coaches on the ice and they work with each small group for 10 minutes on a particular thing, then the group moves on to the next person.

Worth looking into because of the lower cost, even as a supplement to private lessons, if it includes practice ice time. (Our does.) There are sometimes requirements, such as having passed the Pre-Prel or Prel MITF test.

kimmee4
01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Thank you all so much for answering my questions about private lessons, competitions and testing.:)